Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was at the 7-11 near campus and I heard some people talking about a couple of suspected cases around town. The guys looked official enough. Supposedly, the victims are a guy and his girlfriend who felt ill at the PCL and were taken to student health. Both live off campus with their parents at Circle C and Avery Ranch, respectively.

• Like 2

I’m curious: how a government soberly faces the serious threat of a pandemic while projecting a message meant to quell fear?  Compartmentalization of message, I guess?  No further comment.  Do not click below if you are politically sensitive.

A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor. They don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people. So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and/or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e60c482c5b6bd126b761e42?ncid=APPLENEWS00001&guccounter=1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Apple and Netflix have pulled out of SXSW, now? When do the organizers get the hint?

Hey, there are a lot of people that miss old Austin. What's more old Austin than SXSW without all of the corporate conglomerates?

• Like 1

Any details on the 11 people who tested positive at Lackland? I read that most of the quarantined cruise ship evacuees are about to be released, but I assume that’s for the negative tests with no symptoms. Did any of the 11 positive tests even get sick? Are they close to being considered recovered?

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

Any details on the 11 people who tested positive at Lackland? I read that most of the quarantined cruise ship evacuees are about to be released, but I assume that’s for the negative tests with no symptoms. Did any of the 11 positive tests even get sick? Are they close to being considered recovered?

They feel great and are headed to the mall.

• Like 9

I wonder though why they call out 'Human' coronavirus since a lot of this shit comes from birds and bats? It seems if the makeup of the virus is similar, it would be effective against coronavirus in general.

Edited by Hmbre97

26 minutes ago, Deej said:

Apple and Netflix have pulled out of SXSW, now? When do the organizers get the hint?

The list is growing.  

https://www.kvue.com/article/entertainment/events/sxsw/sxsw-2020-companies-canceling-coronavirus-concerns/269-85602775-08a1-49a8-8893-80c8b613c48a

The ones pulling out are the ones who can afford it.   I’m assuming the smaller companies that need the exposure will tough it out.  

29 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I’m curious: how a government soberly faces the serious threat of a pandemic while projecting a message meant to quell fear?  Compartmentalization of message, I guess?  No further comment.  Do not click below if you are politically sensitive.

Reveal hidden contents

A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor. They don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people. So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and/or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e60c482c5b6bd126b761e42?ncid=APPLENEWS00001&guccounter=1

I thought that was a joke, but that’s real.  

spacer.png

The list is growing.  
https://www.kvue.com/article/entertainment/events/sxsw/sxsw-2020-companies-canceling-coronavirus-concerns/269-85602775-08a1-49a8-8893-80c8b613c48a
The ones pulling out are the ones who can afford it.   I’m assuming the smaller companies that need the exposure will tough it out.  

I don’t anyone really needs exposure to this virus.

26 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I assume you are rating the officials or the cabana boys, cuz if you are rating Sydney's old car or his girlfriend at the time, that is way too high.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/7e12d154-79ee-4848-9a4d-54d498b9608e

Sir, my girlfriends and now my wife have all been choice. I can't argue with the car assessment, however. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hate said:

Hey, there are a lot of people that miss old Austin. What's more old Austin than SXSW without all of the corporate conglomerates?

32 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Seeing shows without so much as a wristband ftw.

We were just musing on this yesterday.  SXSW is almost certain to go forward....but it will be without a lot of the major corporate presence.  So, maybe we locals might have a chance to go see a show or something?  That would be pretty cool.

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I thought that was a joke, but that’s real.  

spacer.png

Yeah, I do not understand how the public messaging from our government as to threat risk can be reconciled against the data we have that represents a best case scenario of known infected/deaths.  Any speculation should as to why that is should probably be left to the politics thread.

D59-C219-B-EB87-4-EE6-973-B-4-FE73-DC51-

25-B0-E503-8-FD6-43-D0-9-B60-4-C874-FFD9

2-C76-F31-E-7-AE4-4066-9-D8-B-C6-CACD67-

Again, don’t click if politically sensitive.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-coronavirus-death-rate-cases-symptoms-hannity-fox-news-a9376756.html

Edited by Goredho

Graph showing the rate of growth after first 50 cases.   Japan and the US are off though, due to less testing.  It actually looks like China’s numbers may have been more accurate than originally thought.  They were still bottlenecked by lack of testing, but they caught up   

• Like 2

Despite the idiots on the Pence committee claiming something ridiculous like 1MM tests available by the end of the week, it's pretty damn obvious we still aren't testing anyone at scale. Florida flat out admitted they can't.  I haven't seen anyone report testing at volume and have seen numerous reports of ER doctors with seriously ill patients testing negative for the flu that can't get a Covid test done.   Whether that's due to lab capacity, lack of test kits, or flat out some fucked up strategy from the administration/CDC to kick the can down the road, it's pretty embarrassing we're still getting run ruled by the likes of South Korea and Italy when it comes to getting ready and reacting to this thing.   

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Despite the idiots on the Pence committee claiming something ridiculous like 1MM tests available by the end of the week, it's pretty damn obvious we still aren't testing anyone. Florida flat out admitted they can't.  I haven't seen anyone report testing at any type of scale and have seen numerous reports of ER doctors with seriously ill patients testing negative for the flu that can't get a Covid test done.   Whether that's due to lab capacity, lack of test kits, or flat out some fucked up strategy from the administration/CDC to kick the can down the road, it's pretty embarrassing we're getting run ruled by the likes of South Korea and Italy when it comes to getting ready and reacting to this thing.   

Embarassing but not at all surprising. We seem to be handling this as poorly as possible--late with travel restrictions, botched quarantines, no testing, mixed communication on seriousness. We're going to get hit harder and more quickly because of it. 

18 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

On 3/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, Hate said:

Now imagine that someone was infected and coughed and sneezed into that tornado. 

Damn...I'm some sort of Nostradamus.

• Like 2

We're doing exactly what happens when you have a completely incompetent federal government (in this case, PURPOSEFULLY incompetent) -- we're leaving it to state and local officials.

When the dust clears, some of them will have done an amazing job.  We will be in awe as to how well, say, Tennessee handled things.  And some of them....will have been a complete clusterfuck, allowing their jurisdiction to become a hub for the disease spreading (I mean, we're all expecting Florida will meet this description, right?)

Trump doesn't give a shit about this issue. He doesn't give a shit about the human lives at stake.  He only cares about the one thing that he cares about, no matter what the topic: "what does this mean for ME?"  That's the only lens he'll look through.  And, when faced with a choice of 1) working openly and honestly, trying to do the right thing to help America and Americans, but also exposing himself to criticism because he's taking a visible role, or 2) deflecting, and washing his hands of things so someone else can take the fall.....come on. 

EVERYONE FUCKING KNOWS what he will choose.  Even Trumpkin pieces of shit like @Johnny Sack know it.

• Like 13
  • Fuck You 6

President Donald Trump suggested during an interview on Fox News Wednesday that many people with mild coronavirus symptoms could still go to work and get better. This goes against advice from medical professionals around the world who say that infected individuals should remain in isolation.

“A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people,” Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity. “So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-work-coronavirus-074817221.html

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away