Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And it puts unemployed people in the streets.   Which is bad for the government.  

Notice that the democracy Street demonstrations have disappeared in Hong Kong?

Edited by Armybrat

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the hold kids back, it’s gonna be lawsuit city.  Lawyers will be lining up to take those cases.  

There’s going to be a economic hit to a lot of poor families if those kids are stuck at home for 2-3 months.  

There were some important dates tied to STAAR that were coming up.    With those out of the way, they can push schools out 2-3 weeks (or more) and then don’t have to scramble with the STAAR testing.  

Yea, I think that was what my wife was driving at.  If the kids didnt get the necessary tests and make-up dates, things could get ugly.  

There are legitimate reasons for a virus like this to be in a lab. Biological warfare is down the lost a few spots for all the reasons already mentioned  
Could be that they were using it to work on a SARS vaccine or whatever research and there was an accident and it got out. 
All that being said, there are wet markets all over China and the coincidence of that particular virus coming out in a wet market in that particular city where there is a lab where they specifically do research on coronaviruses from bats is very hard to believe. 

So you find it easier to believe that the stars of the conspiracy constellations aligned to bring this situation about in the way China planned?

Okay.gif
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

$100000 dollars says he changes his tune in less than 72 hrs

It’s an election year which is unfortunately going to have an impact.  Lot of bar/alcohol/restaurant money flows into campaigns.  

I figured he is going to have his lines in the sand, two of them, in parallel,  about 30 inches wide.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I agree that most kids that would be considered for retention will move on. Many times the parent wants it and they are on the same page with the school.

Most of my battles are with parents that want it and I don’t. There’s not really much research to support it as an effective intervention after kindergarten.

12 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Co-worker just strolled into the office, groaning about how the whole world has lost it's mind over the flu. Tried explaining things to her. Didn't phase her. This is a practicing attorney.

Surly is exhibit A that most attorneys are functional morons. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Was just notified that I am being sent home at lunch today due to my age/inclusion in a higher "at risk" demographic. IT will be setting me up to work from home asap.

On top of working from home, you can now sue for age discrimination.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

So you find it easier to believe that the stars of the conspiracy constellations aligned to bring this situation about in the way China planned?

Okay.gif

That's not what I believe at all. In fact, I don't think it was planned. If anything it was an accident. 

I'm not saying anything about conspiracies or that it was planned or anything. I don't care if it was intended or not or whether it was a weapon or Winnie the Pooh ordered it himself or whatever. 

All I'm saying is that it's a hell of a coincidence that the outbreak started in the exact same city where there is a lab where they research these exact same kinds of viruses from bats.

As mentioned elsewhere, they've had documented occurrences of SARS twice escaping labs in China due to poor security practices. I don't think it's a "conspiracy" to notice this and wonder about it given the location of the outbreak and the specific mission of that lab. How it got out isn't what I'm speculating about. Just that it's quite a coincidence. 

That's it and that's all. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

Fairfax County schools closed on Friday from pressire by parents and then like NYC the governor stepped in.

The nice thing is that the school system has upped the meal locations for the needy from 5 to 12 so it's more accessible.  They're also providing meals to the families of the kids for $2 a meal.

9 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, I think that was what my wife was driving at.  If the kids didnt get the necessary tests and make-up dates, things could get ugly.  

Yeah, with the tests out of the way, they can slide school out a few extra weeks after spring break, or at least work on going online. 

Apparently, it's "continuing to spread" in Italy.  Don't know if this is the ten day delayed snapshot, more testing, or actual spread. Been less than a week of actual shutdown so far. I just threw away the last of my pizza. Can't get more, everyone's closed.
https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/03/16/coronavirus-continues-spread-italy-despite-lockdown/

Data as of Sunday evening revealed 20,603 people currently testing positive for the disease, a significant 24-hour jump of 2,853 new cases.

Italy’s coronavirus death toll rose to 1,809 deaths, an increase of 368 over Saturday’s figure. On the positive side, Italy also reported that the number of those who have tested positive and then recovered from the disease is now 2,335, representing a similar increase of 369 cases.

Breitbart isn't a legitimate source. That's not CR, that's objective fact.

Further, while it seems like an eternity ago, Italy didn't move to close all nonessential businesses until 4-5 days ago. Given the median incubation is about that long, and can be up to two weeks, you'd absolutely expect to still see new cases booming. I think it'd be another 5-7 days before the effects of the lockdown really start to show.

People not understanding the fact that what we see today is really a week or two in the past is a big part of why we are where we are.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Myself and one son built the LEGO Saturn V rocket yesterday that he bought with Christmas money. 

My college-age son and I worked on my tractor all day yesterday.  Replaced the rear PTO seal that was leaking, and replaced the battery terminal connectors.  Building a saturn rocket might have been easier!   Now i have like 5 little cuts all over the fingers on my right hand, that burn like hell when I use hand sanitizer.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Co-worker just strolled into the office, groaning about how the whole world has lost it's mind over the flu. Tried explaining things to her. Didn't phase her. This is a practicing attorney.

Ask her if she’s cool with her parents/elderly relatives being denied a bed in the hospital and being told to go home and basically die.  Send her an article about Italians running out of gear.  Explain that we only have 12,000 ventilators in the national stockpile.  

Went to the Allandale HEB at 8:15 this morning. Parking lot was packed but it was really calm inside.

Deli and bakery are shut with signs saying they are for the foreseeable future.  However, they're going ahead and slicing meat and cheese and packaging it.  Looks like the same for bread.

There's definitely less produce on the shelves. Hopefully, it's not a supply chain issue.  Much less selection also but that's part of their disaster plan.

They now have a single line and an employee points you to a register when it comes open. There's no more than one person at a register at a time.

They also have a police presence in the store.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

for not.  I had no idea healthy, not at risk people should just hole up for 14 days.

It's not for your benefit if you're healthy and not at risk. It's that you may still be contagious while being asymptomatic. 

We have no visibility into who's sick because of the lack of testing, so this is how we have to protect eachother. 

You may not get that other young person at the grocery store sick, but you might pass it to them, and they get their at-risk loved one sick. The whole point of social distancing is to reduce the likelihood of that happening.

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I guess you don't watch the news? read the news? talk to other people in the world?

yes. I understood (I believe like most)- people who have been in places where they might have been in contact with others who've tested positive should be quarantined.  You agree, everyone should stay home for 14 days?

25 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I have had someone who works as a nurse tell me this is being ridiculously overblown and the only people threatened by this are the elderly and those with other significant medical conditions.  Of course five minutes after being told this I had somebody else tell they have a friend who works at the Pentagon and they told her they were getting ready to quarantine the entire country for four to six weeks. 

I'm not sure it's possible to believe anything anyone tells anyone else no matter what the source is.  I think there are going to be far more people in this country who are going to confuse an opinion based on a best guess with an absolute scientific fact than there are going to be people who catch this.  There is a difference between based on what we know now this is our best guess to what will happen and we are sure this is what is going to happen.  The only time anyone is going to be sure about what is happening is after it has already happened.

• Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, Foosters said:

In my experience attorneys are the worst at believing (1) their shit is more important than everything else and (2) that this stuff can't possibly affect them. I say this as an attorney. My profession is acting stupid. 

• Like 4

Just now, Pokoloco said:

You agree, everyone should stay home for 14 days?

Yes. That is the entire point. People can have this and by asymptomatic and still spread it everywhere, overwhelming the healthcare system. Everyone should social distance for the next couple weeks. ie, don't get near anyone else. Even healthy people. 

You can still go get groceries and medicine and such, but people shouldn't congregate together. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I keep getting reports of olds saying it’s just the flu and carrying on as normal. I’m not cheering for Darwin but.....

Just because their is less risk for younger people, realize that there is still some risk. In other words, wishing ill on others is bad karma regardless of their idiocy. 

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

I have had someone who works as a nurse tell me this is being ridiculously overblown and the only people threatened by this are the elderly and those with other significant medical conditions.  Of course five minutes after being told this I had somebody else tell they have a friend who works at the Pentagon and they told her they were getting ready to quarantine the entire country for four to six weeks. 

I'm not sure it's possible to believe anything anyone tells anyone else no matter what the source is.  I think there are going to be far more people in this country who are going to confuse an opinion based on a best guess with an absolute scientific fact than there are going to be people who catch this.  There is a difference between based on what we know now this is our best guess to what will happen and we are sure this is what is going to happen.  The only time anyone is going to be sure about what is happening is after it has already happened.

This is an impressive level of head-in-the-sand. The experts on infectious disease around the world and in our own country are saying it's about to get way worse. They are the experts in the room, the people put in charge to look after the public interest. I'm inclined to believe their opinion with a bird's eye view of the situation over a nurse's narrow scope.

You are part of the problem if you actively think you can't believe anything no matter the source. Talk like that puts doubt in peoples minds that this is nothing to worry about, and engages in shitty concern trolling about a goddamn health crisis.

We know we're just a little more than a week behind Italy. That's the opinion of the Surgeon General and the top epidemiologist in the nation, Dr. Fauci. You can believe that.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

if you do not have the virus and you stay at home for 14 days with others who do not have the virus, there is zero % chance of you getting the virus in those 14 days thus there is zero % chance of you spreading the virus to others.

Well yeah. Not everyone will actually do this without martial law tho. 

Who on here is in self quarantine that hasn't been in any at risk locations or around infected people?

Would you happen to have any suggestions to how people in jam packed NYC apartment buildings and public housing complexes across the country are going to be able to stay away from everyone else?
Are you under the impression viruses spread through walls?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pokoloco said:

Well yeah. Not everyone will actually do this without martial law tho. 

Who on here is in self quarantine that hasn't been in any at risk locations or around infected people?

It's not clear how or why you aren't understanding this. 

You could have been around infected people or "risk locations" because some people DON'T SHOW SYMPTOMS BUT CAN STILL BE INFECTED. 

if you do not have the virus and you stay at home for 14 days with others who do not have the virus, there is zero % chance of you getting the virus in those 14 days thus there is zero % chance of you spreading the virus to others.

This^^^. There’s absolutely no simpler way to explain it. It’s also why I’ve quarantined myself from social media for the next few weeks as well because I find myself wanting people who are idiots to be the ones who become infected. Nobody fucking realizes what the term “precautionary measure” (albeit too late) means. But if I see another, “Houston Rodeo is a choice, we should be allowed to go or not go if we want. It shouldn’t be up to the mayor”, I’m gonna go fucking postal.

4 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Would you happen to have any suggestions to how people in jam packed NYC apartment buildings and public housing complexes across the country are going to be able to stay away from everyone else?

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Add jimmy johns (at least the one by my office) to the take out only list. I asked for some extra sprinkles of corona on my sandwich.

I'm assuming you get the coronavirus from a Jimmy John's sandwich much faster than you do from other delivery options?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away