Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm the midst of all this madness, there are some things coming out that remind you that people, and people acting as companies, can be at their best in trying times like this.

I've seen things like quest offering free internet to any kids expected to do home learning who don't have net, and zoom making their enterprise solution available to schools for free.

In Frisco, one guy started a fb group designed to help at risk folks get supplies, and there are now hundreds of volunteers with the city broken up until zones being covered (it is now expanding into all of North Texas).

My own personal experience started with my work today, where the first thing they said on our leadership call (all remote as everyone is now wfh) is that we're obviously evaluating business impact and how to plan for this new normal, but leaders should focus first on their people and themselves personally and make sure everyone is personally doing ok and make unusual allowances for people where needed.

Then we forced my 67 yo MIL to call into the child care center where she works and tell them that she really can't come in for a while. They're staying open for now, so we figured they'd fire her. Instead, they told her they understand and offered her a leave of absence with the option to come back when things settle down. Most amazingly they apparently called a couple of the oldest ladies who work there over the weekend and told them they should not try to come back for a while for their own safety.

It's a strange world to wake up to right now. Most days I'm awake for only a minute or so before I remember what's happening. In the middle of that, nice to see some real signs of human goodness happening.

Yeah, there's some good stuff.

But goddamn, this is going to be hard on people.  And we're dealing with the day-by-day fluctuations in my daughter's situation at college in Canada -- stay?  Come home (if so, how)?  How to pack up her dorm room and store her stuff till next year, if that's necessary?  I know it's a lot of stress on her, and it's all damned well a stress on me.

I've wanted to break down quite a few times, but I really can't yet.  Gotta keep things going, and then may have to get things settled.  And I know so many others are having these problems in worse.  My heart breaks for humanity.  I'm sad for my daughter.  I'm sad for everyone who is going to take a financial hit because of this.  It's just so much.  Fuck.  I'll break at some point.  It's just a question of when and how.

• Like 3

Just now, dcar00 said:

Its not the end of the world but yeah bunch of seniors are gonna miss out.  my daughter having a big dance event cancelled and also prom.  it will be hard to give them perspective.  might have to go footloose in May if this starts to trend down.

Just bought my daughter her prom dress and shoes. It looks like it's going to be hanging up for while. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

But goddamn, this is going to be hard on people.  And we're dealing with the day-by-day fluctuations in my daughter's situation at college in Canada -- stay?  Come home (if so, how)?  How to pack up her dorm room and store her stuff till next year, if that's necessary?  I know it's a lot of stress on her, and it's all damned well a stress on me.

I've wanted to break down quite a few times, but I really can't yet.  Gotta keep things going, and then may have to get things settled.  And I know so many others are having these problems in worse.  My heart breaks for humanity.  I'm sad for my daughter.  I'm sad for everyone who is going to take a financial hit because of this.  It's just so much.  Fuck.  I'll break at some point.  It's just a question of when and how.

Is she safe there?  Is there a way for her to ride it out up there?  I know it's difficult not being together but as you know you have to consider the logistics to get her home.

2 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

So STAAR gets canceled.  What about AP exams and SAT tests.

Obviously it's different organizations that are responsible for administering those.  But I'd expect any of those occurring within the next month to be postponed or canceled.

Just now, VABuckeye said:

Is she safe there?  Is there a way for her to ride it out up there?  I know it's difficult not being together but as you know you have to consider the logistics to get her home.

She is safe for now.  But there's uncertainty as to what will happen with the dorms.  And her friends are starting to leave in droves.  First, most of the Canadians went home (in-country travel).  Then, some of the Americans.  Now, the French are trying to leave before the border closes (not sure which border is the concern).  The concern is that she'll be left up there 1) effectively alone, and 2) they'll close the dorm on her.  I mean, worst case....she can pack her shit up, and decamp to a hotel room (probably for uber cheap).  But she'd be all alone, and scared, and I don't want that to happen.  I'm okay with her staying there -- hell, I think it's the preferred course, if we can make it happen.  But if she loses her whole support network, I don't think that's sustainable.

Question for the doctors @ChiTownDoc @Newdoc and anyone else. 

this is related to my earlier posting about 10 old folks getting together in Florida last week before panicking and flying home. One of them, the “healthy one” got home to PA yesterday and since then had sufficient symptoms to be told to go to the hospital, where she has been diagnosed as having had a heart attack. I assume shortness of breath was a symptom but don’t know. 

the question is could respiratory difficulty from covid put strain on her heart and cause an MI?  Has that been seen yet?  I hope they’re testing her, but if she has it a lot of my wife’s aunts and uncles are about to die. And possibly her mom. 

11 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

my daughter is pissed they cancelled the district track meet. She qualified in 3 individual events and she was on her school's 4x100 and 4x400 relay. 

They haven't officially canceled our 7th grade district meet, but they are going to and my son is pretty broken up about it. 

He was just starting to get excited about throwing the discus. Asked me to go practice constantly. Kept getting better every week and was just about to out-technique and start beating the big boys who did nothing but muscle it out there. 

I feel for him. 

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hang in there.  It's going to be a long few weeks, but just stay strong for your daughter.

• Like 1

I work for an outpatient ortho PT clinic in the Fort Worth area and we are still open. I called a couple of my older patient this morning that I think we should reschedule their appointments. Personally, I think we should reschedule all patients over 60, but I’m not in charge. My company will have to be forced by the state or whatever to actually close, I don’t see them doing it ok their own. 

I hear you. It's fucking hard. I'm at breakdown point basically all the time right now because of the fear and uncertainty going on around.

I have some faith, potentially misguided, that we'll get financial assistance programs to those most in need. I'm mostly worried about whether they'll come quickly enough or not. Either way I know that lots of people are already feeling this in a very tangible way and we need people who can help to try to help wherever they can until the government actually provides systematic relief.

I have two little kids and read something about how young kids won't likely remember much about the details of coronavirus, but they may remember what your house was like over these months. That's really the thing that's rallying my family right now, is we're committed to making this something that when our kids learn about later in life, they'll say they had no idea how bad things were or the stress we were under at the time. Sometimes it's easier to hold it together for someone else than for yourself.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

Holy shit.  Italy’s CFR is actually climbing.  Using a naive calculation (which undercounts as deaths lag positive diagnoses by a week or two), it’s at 7.7%. The daily naive CFR (new deaths divided by new cases) has been at 10%+ the past couple of days.  

Hopefully what’s happened is Italy just stopped counting cases not requiring hospitalization.  

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Can someone explain the rationale behind tylenol vs ibuprofen/NSAIDs?  I am not sure I have bought tylenol in 10 years because of fear of liver damage and the no-no for children.

NSAIDS can cause an upregulation (increase) of ACE2 receptors. COVID19 binds to ACE2 receptors in the lungs. If more are available to bind to the virus, this MAY cause a more severe response. ie cytokine storm, leading to hospitalization.

For my family we will use tylenol for any aches and fevers this time around. 

• Like 1

In my limited view of the response:

Municipal client is requesting an amendment to our infectious disease policy specific to COVID19 as it relates to their project.  I'm interpreting this as a CYA - there's a CDC boilerplate, but the only difference between that and a normal policy seems to be that you shouldn't show up to their project for 14 days after symptoms appear.

A hospital client is changing fingerprint access points to keycode.  Presumably people can/will use gloves to operate a keycode access.

Question for the doctors [mention=2289]ChiTownDoc[/mention] [mention=414]Newdoc[/mention] and anyone else. 

this is related to my earlier posting about 10 old folks getting together in Florida last week before panicking and flying home. One of them, the “healthy one” got home to PA yesterday and since then had sufficient symptoms to be told to go to the hospital, where she has been diagnosed as having had a heart attack. I assume shortness of breath was a symptom but don’t know. 

the question is could respiratory difficulty from covid put strain on her heart and cause an MI?  Has that been seen yet?  I hope they’re testing her, but if she has it a lot of my wife’s aunts and uncles are about to die. And possibly her mom. 

With the caveat that I'm not a medical professional, I have read reports of what you're describing - death by heart attack brought on by stress from covid. From my understanding that's a big reason people with cardiovascular problems are at higher risk, regardless of age.

4 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

NSAIDS can cause an upregulation (increase) of ACE2 receptors. COVID19 binds to ACE2 receptors in the lungs. If more are available to bind to the virus, this MAY cause a more severe response. ie cytokine storm, leading to hospitalization.

We always keep Tylenol PM around for when I get tired of my wife.

Image result for seinfeld playing with toys gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

https://mashable.com/article/people-bars-coronavirus-social-distancing/

"I gave 4 rides tonight, all of them going to bars or clubs. After the 4th, I logged off, pulled into a parking lot, and sobbed. No one is quarantining. No one is listening. They don't know it yet, but they are killing each other. The sense of hopelessness is overwhelming."

South Austin's mom laughs in the face of only 4 rides in 1 night.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

They haven't officially canceled our 7th grade district meet, but they are going to and my son is pretty broken up about it. 

He was just starting to get excited about throwing the discus. Asked me to go practice constantly. Kept getting better every week and was just about to out-technique and start beating the big boys who did nothing but muscle it out there. 

I feel for him. 

My daughter lives to play soccer.  All matches have been canceled through 4/5 and she's devastated by that, but it's Club so there's a chance they could still resume play this Spring-- unlike school sports which I imagine will have to be done for the year.

11 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I work for an outpatient ortho PT clinic in the Fort Worth area and we are still open. I called a couple of my older patient this morning that I think we should reschedule their appointments. Personally, I think we should reschedule all patients over 60, but I’m not in charge. My company will have to be forced by the state or whatever to actually close, I don’t see them doing it ok their own. 

MY wife is a PT here in Austin, and most of her patients have canceled today, so maybe yours will start doing that as well and remove the issue for you.  She works for a private clinic and they really don't want to close, but they should.  I'm hoping the state makes the decision for them, before I have to tell my wife that she needs to just stop going to work.

8 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Thanks -so same issue as ACEI/ARBs.

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Tylenol liver damage, while serious, isn’t something you should worry about if taking the appropriate dosing far enough apart. If you aren’t taking it chronically you’ll be fine 

Yeah, but it was a "why not" thing at the time.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away