Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

We officially have a crisis on our hands.  Where is everyone in Hollywood going to go to get their cocaine?

Cocaine comes in bricks from Mexico.  It’s fine down there.  Only a moron gets their supplies at the club.  So I’ve heard...

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Man I'm worthless at work this morning. I'm nothing but a future carrier who has nearly 0 productivity.  I cant be the only one like that today, just too much stuff going on.

Maybe you should sack up and get some fucking work done. Do you have a wife or children that depend on you? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm guessing he will decide to close the bars & restaurants after the hospitals have been over run; thus closing the barn door after the horses have died.

He's making decisions on a rolling basis. He's having trouble standing up to the restaurant lobbyists though. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Someone joked (?) about if this thing drags on for months, would elections be suspended. I then realized this is the plot of V for Vendetta. 

Pretty sure it doesn’t work that way. Even without elections, many notable peoples’ terms end in January. They don’t just hang around unless we’ve completely and utterly lost our way as a representative democracy (of which there’s certainly a non-zero chance).  

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Someone joked (?) about if this thing drags on for months, would elections be suspended. I then realized this is the plot of V for Vendetta. 

Actually is now a great time to go full vote by mail, as has been implemented in many states successfully. No CR. 

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

Apparently, it's "continuing to spread" in Italy.  Don't know if this is the ten day delayed snapshot, more testing, or actual spread. Been less than a week of actual shutdown so far. I just threw away the last of my pizza. Can't get more, everyone's closed.

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/03/16/coronavirus-continues-spread-italy-despite-lockdown/

Dude, do not ever quote brietbart in this thread. That is nothing but a propaganda site. No politics in this thread.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I really believe this govt’s goal is the same as the UK, they just dont wanna come out and say it because people will panic

they want Herd Immunity, with the possibility of killing off 2-3% of the population

I think this is probably right. I guess the feds are hoping the current cancellation of events and closure of schools, businesses, etc. will be enough to let the healthcare system cope. We shall see. 

This whole thing is a collaboration between U.S. intelligencia (to push off elections), the Chinese govt (to suppress new findings on flat Earth), and the WHO (to distract from the emerging research on the vaccine-autism link). Probably more involved, too.

/nocr
/no conspiracy
/no racist to Chinese

Just now, CooterBrown said:

Cancelling STAAR requirements is the first step in cancelling school for the rest of the year. Parents, prepare your anuses (South Austin's mom, you're already ready). 

Possible, but its more likely to head off general problems with dates and makeups.  My wife is a testing coordinator for a district and she said theres some testing coming up that if they miss then kids wouldnt have a second chance to pass at the end of the year or something like that.  I was half listening, we dont have kids in grade school anymore so I kind of glaze over on the details on stuff like that.  I know she had to go in to work today because they were supposed to receive all their STAAR test materials.  

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Possible, but its more likely to head off general problems with dates and makeups.  My wife is a testing coordinator for a district and she said theres some testing coming up that if they miss then kids wouldnt have a second chance to pass at the end of the year or something like that.  I was half listening, we dont have kids in grade school anymore so I kind of glaze over on the details on stuff like that.  I know she had to go in to work today because they were supposed to receive all their STAAR test materials.  

Oversimplification but certain grades are SSI years where you test, kids that fail get intervention and retest, kids that fail second administration go to summer school and test a 3rd time. Students in special education can opt out of second administration if an ARD committee decides that. 

A delayed calendar fucks all of that up.

15 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Cancelling STAAR requirements is the first step in cancelling school for the rest of the year. Parents, prepare your anuses (South Austin's mom, you're already ready). 

They are not going to automatically advance everybody in Texas.  And the economic hit for people having to scramble to find daycare for their kids would be crushing.   And it would be reflected at the polls in November.  

1 minute ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Oversimplification but certain grades are SSI years where you test, kids that fail get intervention and retest, kids that fail second administration go to summer school and test a 3rd time. Students in special education can opt out of second administration if an ARD committee decides that. 

A delayed calendar fucks all of that up.

Yes, I definitely heard her say SSI at some points.  Like I said, I nod and agree with the minutiae of her job.  I assume she does the same for mine.  

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are not going to automatically advance everybody in Texas.  And the economic hit for people having to scramble to find daycare for their kids would be crushing.   And it would be reflected at the polls in November.  

I bet they automatically advance everybody unless it’s an individual schools decision to retain a particular student.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

My experiences with letting my SO cut my hair led to me learning how to cut my own hair. So you guys have that to look forward to.

Luckily, my barber is a good friend that lives one street over.  I trust them to properly practice social distancing so we can social with them.  At least my hair will look great while Rome burns.

Edited by CooterBrown

I don’t know too much about Cuomo and I can’t speak to his political policies AT ALL but I’ve watched a number of his press conferences these past 3-4 days.  He’s generally extremely informative and he appears to laying the groundwork for a number of the other states in the union.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Let me get this straight, you believe they haven't shut down the country China style because of a nefarious goal to achieve herd immunity by sacrificing 2% of the population  instead of just generic incompetence?

Wow

The UK stated they are basically doing just that. I do not think it is nefarious but just the reality of living in a non authoritarian state. We are where we are right now. We either social distance enough or we do not. 

30 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Congrats to whoever is finding this time to reconnect with their older kids.  I’ve got the opposite problem, already being an involved dad to the 3/6yo and the thought of the rest of the school year being canceled has me terrified.  

Just stopped in to Hobby Lobby and grabbed some models (B-17, hot rod, and a small battleship), and some paints.  Have A few things arriving from Amazon.  Ran into another dad doing the same

It’s been decades since I did a proper scale model, but this is going to be a good time for father-son bonding.    He’s 7 and I don’t want him camping on the iPad the whole time   

And I splurged and got acrylics, so I don’t swear up a storm like my dad did when I spilled a bottle of enamel on our dining table.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just stopped in to Hobby Lobby and grabbed some models (B-17, hot rod, and a small battleship), and some paints.  Have A few things arriving from Amazon.  Ran into another dad doing the same

It’s been decades since I did a proper scale model, but this is going to be a good time for father-son bonding.    He’s 7 and I don’t want him camping on the iPad the whole time   

And I splurged and got acrylics, so I don’t swear up a storm like my dad did when I spilled a bottle of enamel on our dining table.  

Myself and one son built the LEGO Saturn V rocket yesterday that he bought with Christmas money. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I bet they automatically advance everybody unless it’s an individual schools decision to retain a particular student.

If they hold kids back, it’s gonna be lawsuit city.  Lawyers will be lining up to take those cases.  

There’s going to be a economic hit to a lot of poor families if those kids are stuck at home for 2-3 months.  

There were some important dates tied to STAAR that were coming up.    With those out of the way, they can push schools out 2-3 weeks (or more) and then don’t have to scramble with the STAAR testing.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Co-worker just strolled into the office, groaning about how the whole world has lost it's mind over the flu. Tried explaining things to her. Didn't phase her. This is a practicing attorney.

Yeah, the whole world just went crazy in the last month. That’s the likely explanation. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away