Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

13 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I'm not saying it's a biological attack, but do you think China gives a shit about it's people? It a communist country.  They aren't worried about killing off constituents.

yeah this is a shitty argument in favor of it being a bio attack (thanks for clarifying that you aren't saying that)

1) why would they start it in Wuhan of all places? The location of one of their 2 BSL-4 labs? come on...they are not that foolish. they could "start" anywhere in the country - in a country ~ the size of the US

2) why would they chance it being SO unequally attached to them (Chinese Coronavirus) and so unequally impacting their population vs the world?

3) what is to gain from them smoking this many of their own people, grinding their economy to a stop for weeks and impacting the global economy? they aren't playing 4D chess here

no they don't care about their people - obviously, see what is going on with the Uyghur - but they DO care about their economy and world standing. 

Edited by NoName
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Im starting to come to the conclusion that we are living through the first modern biological warfare attack and it has all been orchestrated by China

The Chicoms very well know that if our economy goes down and we quit buying their cheap shit, then their economy will go tits up

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah this is a shitty argument in favor of it being a bio attack (thanks for clarifying that you aren't saying that)

1) why would they start it in Wuhan of all places? The location of one of their 2 BSL-4 labs? come on...they are not that foolish. they could "start" anywhere in the country - in a country ~ the size of the US

I would posit that it is possible it is from a human carrier from the lab but that it was wholly unintentional. Anytime you have humans working in a lab with viruses, even using protocols, contracting a virus is a risk. In my totally unscientific opinion, the market is the most likely source of the animal to human jump however.

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

I would posit that it is possible it is from a human carrier from the lab but that it was wholly unintentional. Anytime you have humans working in a lab with viruses, even using protocols, contracting a virus is a risk. In my totally unscientific opinion, the market is the most likely source of the animal to human jump however.

agreed with you on the most likely source

and also agreed with you on the possibility of a virus accidentally "escaping" (SARS "escaped" twice from Beijing labs in the past)

1 minute ago, NoName said:

agreed with you on the most likely source

and also agreed with you on the possibility of a virus accidentally "escaping" (SARS "escaped" twice from Beijing labs in the past)

I'm too lazy to look it up this morning, but didn't that happen here once with Ebola? I seem to recall my husband mentioning it, but maybe he was talking about SARS. He has to go to work today and will be in meetings all day. So much for distancing. He does have a cough due to allergies, so maybe people will keep away.

There are legitimate reasons for a virus like this to be in a lab. Biological warfare is down the lost a few spots for all the reasons already mentioned  

Could be that they were using it to work on a SARS vaccine or whatever research and there was an accident and it got out. 

All that being said, there are wet markets all over China and the coincidence of that particular virus coming out in a wet market in that particular city where there is a lab where they specifically do research on coronaviruses from bats is very hard to believe. 

49 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I'm not saying it's a biological attack, but do you think China gives a shit about it's people? It a communist country.  They aren't worried about killing off constituents.

They can spare 5%. If it’s  hitting males harder, even better for China 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

In China if you injure somebody and they become disabled you are financially responsible for their upkeep for the rest of their lives. So what happens a lot of times is if somebody injures somebody on the road they will just go ahead and kill that person as the financial penalty for killing somebody is a lot less than paying somebody on a monthly basis for the rest of their natural life

That’s what we were told by my dad’s Chinese liaison officer when we lived in Taipei 60+ years ago. Also, if someone was run over & killed, the body would be dragged to the side of the road, covered with a grass mat and left there until family would come retrieve it. Saw that a couple of times first hand.

Per the Johns Hopkins site at 11:33 PM last night.

US cases up 50% over Saturday to 3744.  Deaths up from 60 on Saturday to 69.  Recoveries nationwide listed at 12.  The recovery number is confusing to me because I'm not sure the definition of recovery is consistent across healthcare systems around the country and worldwide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

If it really is a biological weapon that has been intentionally released, then more likely it would be the act of a terror organization, than a world government.  But that seems unlikely to me as well.  

We have viruses rage out of control all the time on this planet.  It will continue to happen long after this particular threat is managed.

Plus, it temporarily crippled China’s economy and is starting to affect their economic ties with their largest customers.   That’s not a good way to wage war.   It opened the door for their largest customers to either bring some business back, or move it out of China.  

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Yikes US surgeon general just said that "there is potential for U.S. to become Italy", largely in part due to people not taking the pandemic seriously. It's fucking crazy how hard this was being downplayed just a couple weeks ago, compared to the seriousness they're giving it now

Kudlow saying it was mostly contained a few weeks ago, and some of the other leaders publicly acting like it wasn’t any worse than the flu is going to make for a heckuva an opening for the books to be written. Or the cave drawings.  Whatever.  

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

CDC's guidance/recommendation, yesterday, of no groups of more than 50 people pretty well guarantees the in class school year is over. 

12 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath told school superintendents and lawmakers Sunday to be prepared for long-term school district closures, potentially through the end of the school year, especially in areas where the new coronavirus has spread.

The state has already said school districts with prolonged school closures due to coronavirus concerns may avoid financial penalties, as long as they can prove they are teaching students remotely.

I work for a large district in Bell Co. We don't have the resources to teach all students remotely. At this point Morath is leaving the decision up to individual superintendents. But if

it comes down to money, I'm betting my district opens at some point. Poor leadership and piss poor financial stewardship has led to this. It will be interesting for sure. 

5 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Per the Johns Hopkins site at 11:33 PM last night.

US cases up 50% over Saturday to 3744.  Deaths up from 60 on Saturday to 69.  Recoveries nationwide listed at 12.  The recovery number is confusing to me because I'm not sure the definition of recovery is consistent across healthcare systems around the country and worldwide.

got a link for this? not questioning it but want to be able to follow it/share link with others!

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

i actually think it's a ploy by Big Soap to sell more product

It's long been my theory that the epidemic of gun violence in this country is secretly being driven by the long tentacles of the Jesus Candle industry. 

Either that, or an unholy union between Big Stuffed Animal and Big Cheap Flowers. 

Apparently, it's "continuing to spread" in Italy.  Don't know if this is the ten day delayed snapshot, more testing, or actual spread. Been less than a week of actual shutdown so far. I just threw away the last of my pizza. Can't get more, everyone's closed.

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/03/16/coronavirus-continues-spread-italy-despite-lockdown/

Data as of Sunday evening revealed 20,603 people currently testing positive for the disease, a significant 24-hour jump of 2,853 new cases.

Italy’s coronavirus death toll rose to 1,809 deaths, an increase of 368 over Saturday’s figure. On the positive side, Italy also reported that the number of those who have tested positive and then recovered from the disease is now 2,335, representing a similar increase of 369 cases.

3 hours ago, iodeac said:

This was posted by a doctor in New Orleans on a different message board I've frequented over the years. Absolutely terrifying. You all stay safe.

So, just to give some perspective.
Yesterday, I was in a 3 hr meeting at the hospital deciding on our principles of treatment once the trigger of a 'disaster' declaration is declared. I expect it will be this week.
Today, we have 18 Covid patients (btwm for you young folk out and about in bars, 2 of the folks on vents are healthy twentysomethings).
3 days ago, we had 2.
It is truly at the exponential phase. We'll be Italy in 7-10 days.
So anyway, to give an idea of what we discussed:
there was serious discussion about refusing to intubate anyone 65 or over (in China, 65 was a major inflection point -- if you were 65 or over, your mortality if placed on a vent is 80%. If even 64, the mortality was 1/6th as high if placed on a vent.
The AVERAGE time on a vent was 2 weeks for covid patients.
We are a Level 1 Trauma Ctr in a city with lots of GSW's and accidents, but we only have 60 vents. Once those 60 vents are taken, covid folks will be SOL. We had a long discussion about withholding vents for possible traumas -- still up in the air.
It is quite likely that we will not perform CPR on covid pt's who code, regardless of age.
In general, we try to keep pt's on the vent if they are clinically stable for an indefinite period of time. We discussed having a 72 hr threshold -- if it doesn't look like mom is improving in 72 hrs, and another pt needs the vent, we would withdraw care.
Mind you, these Draconian measures will likely be in play by the end of this week...

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

That IS terrifying.  What is being done to increase the number of ventilators?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away