Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

She is safe for now.  But there's uncertainty as to what will happen with the dorms.  And her friends are starting to leave in droves.  First, most of the Canadians went home (in-country travel).  Then, some of the Americans.  Now, the French are trying to leave before the border closes (not sure which border is the concern).  The concern is that she'll be left up there 1) effectively alone, and 2) they'll close the dorm on her.  I mean, worst case....she can pack her shit up, and decamp to a hotel room (probably for uber cheap).  But she'd be all alone, and scared, and I don't want that to happen.  I'm okay with her staying there -- hell, I think it's the preferred course, if we can make it happen.  But if she loses her whole support network, I don't think that's sustainable.

Would the family of someone she knows in Canada benefit from some financial support (i.e. what you would be paying for the dorm or hotel)?

13 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Can someone explain the rationale behind tylenol vs ibuprofen/NSAIDs?  I am not sure I have bought tylenol in 10 years because of fear of liver damage and the no-no for children.

I (was) with you on avoiding Tylenol completely, but I am going to skip the NSAIDs for now.

The theory that I heard: Part of your bodies response to this virus is inflamation. By using the NSAIDs, you interfere with this process, and it somehow ends up worse. Whatever the reason, it seems that use of NSAIDs is correlated with the real bad reactions to this. This is surely not well tested at this point, or sure that there is any issue, but I figure it is good enough to give up on the NSAIDs for the moment. I am not in health care, so I am very interested in thoughts from any who are about this issue.

So if I get an ache, my main plain is to just suck it up. I will go buy some Tylenol in case I get a fever that I need to try and manage, but hopefully I'll get to leave that bottle unopened.

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Question for the doctors @ChiTownDoc @Newdoc and anyone else. 

this is related to my earlier posting about 10 old folks getting together in Florida last week before panicking and flying home. One of them, the “healthy one” got home to PA yesterday and since then had sufficient symptoms to be told to go to the hospital, where she has been diagnosed as having had a heart attack. I assume shortness of breath was a symptom but don’t know. 

the question is could respiratory difficulty from covid put strain on her heart and cause an MI?  Has that been seen yet?  I hope they’re testing her, but if she has it a lot of my wife’s aunts and uncles are about to die. And possibly her mom. 

Yes respiratory distress and a heart attack often go hand in hand.  Lots of olds were gonna be sick af anyway and will blame COVID now.  Much of it will not be cut and dry cause/effect.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 minute ago, After irth said:

Neg away, but...

This thread has become a beast that needs to be killed. Overwhelming and ridiculous, and not really any kind of repository of valuable content of any kind. 

Ironic, as we get closer and closer to an ‘after Irth’ scenario.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Would the family of someone she knows in Canada benefit from some financial support (i.e. what you would be paying for the dorm or hotel)?

Maybe.  She has friends in/near Toronto.  She might be able to go with them, and we could pay some rent etc.  I dunno, we'll be figuring this out as we go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, After irth said:

Neg away, but...

This thread has become a beast that needs to be killed. Overwhelming and ridiculous, and not really any kind of repository of valuable content of any kind. 

Without going into politics, why do you think that?  I certainly don't agree with every point of view I read on this thread but I appreciate the exchange of ideas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, After irth said:

Neg away, but...

I agree the signal-to-noise ratio has gotten low.  There are about a dozen different threads out there now for more focused sub-topics related to coronavirus.  Maybe its time to create a subforum and move all these different threads (including the CR thread) there.

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

I agree the signal-to-noise ratio has gotten low.  There are about a dozen different threads out there now for more focused sub-topics related to coronavirus.  Maybe its time to create a subforum and move all these different threads (including the CR thread) there.

Nope.  That one should stay exactly where it is.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Question for the doctors @ChiTownDoc @Newdoc and anyone else. 

this is related to my earlier posting about 10 old folks getting together in Florida last week before panicking and flying home. One of them, the “healthy one” got home to PA yesterday and since then had sufficient symptoms to be told to go to the hospital, where she has been diagnosed as having had a heart attack. I assume shortness of breath was a symptom but don’t know. 

the question is could respiratory difficulty from covid put strain on her heart and cause an MI?  Has that been seen yet?  I hope they’re testing her, but if she has it a lot of my wife’s aunts and uncles are about to die. And possibly her mom. 

Yes possible. We see that with almost all infectious systemic disease. Flu is good at it as well. Covid seems to cause high levels of inflammation in cardiac tissue so people with pre-existing heart disease are dying of myocardial infarction and myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation and infection). It is possible that healthy people can have the same result if cardiac inflammation is high enough.

1 minute ago, Newdoc said:

Yes possible. We see that with almost all infectious systemic disease. Flu is good at it as well. Covid seems to cause high levels of inflammation in cardiac tissue so people with pre-existing heart disease are dying of myocardial infarction and myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation and infection). It is possible that healthy people can have the same result if cardiac inflammation is high enough.

Awesome. Can’t wait to find out. Wife is already a nervous wreck.  Discussing with her the idea of not traveling to her mother’s funeral doesn’t sound fun. 

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Without going into politics, why do you think that?  I certainly don't agree with every point of view I read on this thread but I appreciate the exchange of ideas.

No politics at all, but the 8 different threads running within a 20 minute period, various subjects getting buried, (in)valid information overload, and the sheer frenzy of response times has rendered this particular post unusable. 

Popular topic?  Duh!  Trying to stay on top? Well...ok. Every raging dickhead with a(n) (un)informed opinion?  Definitely. 

It could be worse. It could be the post within the travel forum. Much like society, however, I see the Surly fabric breaking down. 

Just a shame, that’s all. 

• Fuck You 6

3 minutes ago, After irth said:

No politics at all, but the 8 different threads running within a 20 minute period, various subjects getting buried, (in)valid information overload, and the sheer frenzy of response times has rendered this particular post unusable. 

Popular topic?  Duh!  Trying to stay on top? Well...ok. Every raging dickhead with a(n) (un)informed opinion?  Definitely. 

It could be worse. It could be the post within the travel forum. Much like society, however, I see the Surly fabric breaking down. 

Just a shame, that’s all. 

If you have a better suggestion for how an internet forum discussing an unprecedented event in real time should operate we're all ears.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Any tips on getting my 72 year old father to stay in the motherfucking house? My mom has respiratory issues already but he keeps going out to meet with his old man coffee club every morning.

When y'all find the answer, let me know.  My parents won't stay put either.

10 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Any tips on getting my 72 year old Trump-loving father to stay in the motherfucking house? My mom has respiratory issues already but he keeps going out to meet with his old man coffee club every morning.

Sabotage his vehicle?

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Has to be a unique blend of meth, opioids, and moonshine.

Ackshualleeee....

The Daily Mail reports that scientists have found a “bizarre cure” for flu: the illegal drug methamphetamine (meth).

Responsibly, the Mail makes it clear that the scientists, “did not recommend taking the drug in its current available form” but hope it could have the potential to provide a cure in the future.

This news story is based on research which looked at the effect of the drug on flu virus in lung cells in the laboratory. Researchers thought that the drug might make cells more susceptible to infection, but surprisingly they found that cells exposed to meth were less susceptible to the flu virus. Also, the virus did not replicate itself as well in the meth-exposed cells.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

or maybe its that addicts can't tell if they have the flu or just need a hit.  also begs the question.  can you imagine a full on quarantine where meth and opiod addicts can't get their fix because they run out?  holy shit.  

Addicts will find a way to get their fixes.

Of more concern to me, as a recovering alcoholic and the son of a mother who was on Methadone for many years, are the people who are dependent on 12 Step meetings and/or legal heroin substitutes like Methadone and Suboxone. Most addicts are not allowed by law to take large amounts from the clinic at one time -- the gov't doles it out in small doses -- so it requires constant trips to stay sane, and I guess there is some waiting in this process in dingy rooms full of people who've made questionable life choices. 

As for 12 Step, I am not a participant, but I fear for some of those who are. Many of them have had the message drilled into their heads that "meeting makers make it," meaning stay sober; and not just that, but it is only meeting makers who can make it. I've had hardcore AA fanatics say that strict adherence to AA dogma is the only way to stay sober and if you don't regularly attend meetings you will relapse and you will die. 

To me that's a corrosive latter-day perversion of what the Big Book of AA actually says (after all, it is written "Take what you need and leave the rest") but as with all religions people gonna people it up.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away