Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Lets say 250k die in America. That seems like a number higher than where I’d bet we end up but not crazy high, and if I’m low it’s not by orders of magnitude. 

Translated to my town of 90,000 that would be 69 deaths. Do you think it is at all likely that you would be able to tell if 69 extra people died in your town this year, as opposed to last year, without looking it up?  No way man. No way. 

It will be noticeable because it hits the olds a lot harder, and because it puts people in the hospital for weeks.    

On that second point, it could financially devastate plenty of folks, and that will also be noticeable.   We will probably need to have more healthcare discussions down the road.   We will also need to discuss how much we want to help businesses that are affected, since, at least here in Austin, we are watching quite a few go down and they won’t be able to recover.   

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve got no beef with governor wheels. In fact I think I like him enough that I might not stand for anyone talking shit about him.   

Way to take a position brother.  You fight that fight.

BTW, your drink needs a refill.

5 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Not trying to CR any of this but would you have followed a lockdown rule in January.

Negative. Work would have been like where the hell are you!?

edit: company deemed an “essential” business. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

39 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You should shoulder check them on your way by. 

if they deserve it, i might. But they might have the wuhan so probably shouldn't. Just saying, if runners are getting too close, it might not 100% on them. Takes two to tango and what not. It takes EVERYONE in the park/trails to be courteous and practice safe distancing, it's unreasonable to put it on only a segment. 

edit: took out "small" since no idea how many runners there are in any of y'alls given parks.

Edited by achooloco
  • Fuck You 1

The tweet I was responding to was basically arguing against the concept of “world keeps spinning”. That’s what I was reacting to. There is a strain of thought in the millennials that if something gets too tough you just curl up in a ball and sit in the corner. 
I actually like millennials a whole hell of a lot. But man, collectively they could stand to toughen up a little bit. There’s more grit in America (I think) than what that tweet encapsulates. That- and the numbers aren’t all that big to be able to notice by the naked eye. 
Lets say 250k die in America. That seems like a number higher than where I’d bet we end up but not crazy high, and if I’m low it’s not by orders of magnitude. 
Translated to my town of 90,000 that would be 69 deaths. Do you think it is at all likely that you would be able to tell if 69 extra people died in your town this year, as opposed to last year, without looking it up?  No way man. No way. 

Lol I'm not getting into a generational pissing match over a tweet.

I don't really even know what we're debating at this point so I'm just gonna bow out and say you're right.

Millennials need to toughen up is a pretty common criticism of that particular generation but it ignores the fact that our military is made up mostly of Millennials and they are the majority of our Iraq/Afghanistan war veterans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Millennials need to toughen up is a pretty common criticism of that particular generation but it ignores the fact that our military is made up mostly of Millennials and they are the majority of our Iraq/Afghanistan war veterans.

What percentage of Millennials are Veterans?  What percentage of Millennials have served?

just a couple semi-important follow  up questions.

Not trying to CR any of this but would you have followed a lockdown rule in January.

It would be premature. In January, President meets with airlines/cruises, sets out travel restrictions, beginning with China. Preps public for it. Next week, the issue becomes more clear. By week 3, TSA doing distanced screening and tracking. Week 4, it actually works well.

Public thinks its an international thing still. No panic.

February comes along, PPE and testing already ramped up. Private industries part of it. By mid-February, the disease transmission becomes more known. Governors are prepped daily.

End of February comes. No panic. We buy ourselves 1-2 more weeks before outbreaks due to comprehensive and gradual restrictions.

Spring Break and Mardi Gras and cruises and panic lines in airports are planned in advanced and restricted. Travel bailout part of it.

Not sure what April looks like but we sure as shit would be in a much better place than we are now.

With ramped up testing and hot zone coding means that jurisdictions could make educated decisions on how safe things are and let the public what measures they should take. For instance, in Buda you could get a haircut because if Betty has a cough she could get tested and keep her shop open. Not wait 8 days for a result. Just wear a mask.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, F250 said:

This is totally uncorroborated but I read online somewhere that the same things were said by the olds about the Greatest Generation In newspapers before WW2. 

Okay surly landlords this might be a tad too far. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/landlords-are-targeting-vulnerable-tenants-solicit-sex-exchange-rent-advocates-n1186416

Some landlords are taking advantage of the coronavirus outbreak, soliciting sexual favors in lieu of rent payments from economically vulnerable tenants, according to advocates.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/landlords-are-targeting-vulnerable-tenants-solicit-sex-exchange-rent-advocates-n1186416
Some landlords are taking advantage of the coronavirus outbreak, soliciting sexual favors in lieu of rent payments from economically vulnerable tenants, according to advocates.
Mind your own business, Telegraph.
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

What percentage of Millennials are Veterans?  What percentage of Millennials have served?

just a couple semi-important follow  up questions.

Its been a few years since I read it but at one point about 70% of the military was comprised of Millennials. Considering the oldest Millennials were already in their 20's when Afghanistan kicked off and Iraq started and dragged on as Millennials continued to hit 18 years old. It shouldn't be surprising that they were the biggest group to serve. Young people fight wars not olds.

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Most people weren’t aware of how many millions of Chinese were being locked down, and the rapid building of hospitals was seen as a novelty by some, so it would have been tough to sell.  

44 minutes ago, F250 said:

Like I said- I like millennials way more than most. The military will always be made up mostly of 18-38 year olds though- that’s not news. There’s a ton to like about that generation. If I’m listing their attributes though grit isn’t top of the charts. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

Its been a few years since I read it but at one point about 70% of the military was comprised of Millennials. Considering the oldest Millennials were already in their 20's when Afghanistan kicked off and Iraq started and dragged on as Millennials continued to hit 18 years old. It shouldn't be surprising that they were the biggest group to serve. Young people fight wars not olds.

Well,  that exactly NOT what I asked.

So again, what percentage of Millennials have served?

13 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Edited by SA-KC_Horn
Pato beat me to it.

27 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Siap. But everyone’s favorite model was adjusted today and now Texas peak was 2 days ago. Thanks for playing. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

This reminds me of 5th grade.  Didn’t know it at the time but that was my peak with the ladies. They were literally fighting over me and just like that it was over.  Lesson here is peaking early usually sucks but I’ll take it when it comes to CV. CSB.   

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Department of Defense, perhaps?  Republican members of Congress?  (no cr, just answering the question about a subject that by its nature is begging to drag politics into the discussion)

Joint Chiefs Chairman Mark Milley:  "There's a lot of rumor and speculation in a wide variety of media, blog sites, etc.  It should be no surprise to you that we have taken a keen interest in that, and we have had a lot of intelligence take a hard look at it."

Tom Cotton (in February):  "We don't know where it originated, and we have to get to the bottom of that.  We also know that it's just a few miles away from that food market is China's only biosafety level 4 super laboratory that researches human infectious diseases."

I will reiterate: 

None of this has anything to do with finding a cure or minimizing negative medical and financial outcomes.

So various govt. officials have commented on it. Politicians. Huh. So has Surly, random Twitterers, the Guardian, NY Times, Fox News, every other fucking news outlet, and me.

This isn't the "find a cure or minimize negative outcomes" thread. This is the thread for Covid-19. Including discussions about where it came from, without your weird partisan conspiracy theories about Fox News, the DOD and other Republicans.

Jesus.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

So various govt. officials have commented on it. Politicians. Huh. So has Surly, random Twitterers, the Guardian, NY Times, Fox News, every other fucking news outlet, and me.

This isn't the "find a cure or minimize negative outcomes" thread. This is the thread for Covid-19. Including discussions about where it came from, without your weird partisan conspiracy theories about Fox News, the DOD and other Republicans.

Jesus.

Yeah, I don't even understand the push back in finding the source. Really, it isn't much different than trying to figure out who the hot brunette is next to Nova Prime in the Guardians of the Galaxy. It is what we do. And there is a purpose:

By finding the source we can determine whether the original disease came from bats or if it needed an additional animal reservoir. It can give us information on how the virus is being spread, whether individuals with mild or no symptoms can transmit the virus, and why some people develop major symptoms while others don't. And by finding the source, we can help stop the spread again of this disease or similar ones to it.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 5

Just now, NorthLoop said:

Is suggesting that China already has the vaccine a political post? Because I think they already have it. 

I would never consider taking a Chinese made vaccine unless it was cleared by the FDA in US designed clinical trials.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Jesus.

Kindly fuck off. I’ve not posted any conspiracy theories here. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Approve South Park GIF

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away