Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I hadn't really picked up on the fact that Stockholm is the only part of Sweden really experiencing an outbreak right now. The entire metro area is only 2.4 million people. If all the current deaths (1,937) are from there, you're talking about .08% of the population. That seems like a lot given (1) they are estimating 20% infected, and (2) they've attempted to limit exposure to the elderly population. Let's say the 20% infection estimate is right, that means a CFR of .4% among a group that is supposed to be largely younger and healthier. It also means that Stockholm is actually just behind New York in deaths per million residents (NY at ~1,000, Stockholm at ~800). That outbreak is actually quite a bit worse than I understood. Really good on them for keeping their healthcare system from being overwhelmed so far. 

Sweden is Ballgame.

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My wife just asked- is she mailing those masks out?  Because she says she can’t buy any. I haven’t checked the veracity of said story bc I can’t bring myself to care enough. 

You can wear a bandana and comply. Check out any Western wear shop and you can find one.

19 minutes ago, bullzak said:

This is good for Illinois. They keep pushing the deadline out even though most of the Covid projections say the peak has passed here. They followed Ohio into this and will likely take their lead at some level. 

Look at some point we have to take a reasonable level of risk in going back and how that risk is measured needs to be consistent and transparent or the public will just wing it. 

apparently you don't "second wave!"

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I agree with this, but if you don't do something to keep the businesses solvent there will be no jobs to return to when we go re-entry. There is a balance I think. 

For sure.  It seems to me that giving individuals money directly could have provided relief to businesses trying to keep paying their employees for not working as well tho.

18 minutes ago, bullzak said:

I think Treasury basically outsourced the paperwork to the banks for a fee. Of course the banks took care of their big clients and Mom and Pop were left out in the cold. 

Insert my "shocked" face. 

Are we talking about the PPP? My buddy with a small business says chase contacted him about applying for the loan.

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I've seen some creative ones just sitting in the parking lot waiting for my curbside order. 

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

This will be the new "hot or not"

My mom sews a lot, and so she's made masks for our entire extended family, 16 of us in the Austin area.  She made them from scraps of cloth she already had lying around, mostly kid-fabrics, so they're pretty funny.  Definitely bright and colorful.  Lucky for me, she also had some burnt orange Longhorn-logo fabric, so mine is a licenses Longhorn-logo mask that I wear proudly whilst out and about.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

My mom sews a lot, and so she's made masks for our entire extended family, 16 of us in the Austin area.  She made them from scraps of cloth she already had lying around, mostly kid-fabrics, so they're pretty funny.  Definitely bright and colorful.  Lucky for me, she also had some burnt orange Longhorn-logo fabric, so mine is a licenses Longhorn-logo mask that I wear proudly whilst out and about.

Someone is going to rat you out to Del Conte. Nice knowing you bud. 

• Haha 2

Ill take heat for this but whatever

Its been over 2 months since this thing has been up and roaring in the US and people havent either gotten masks or made their own at this point? What the hell have yall been doing under quarantine

i posted on this very thread about a month ago saying this mandatory mask declaration was coming, jfc. 

btw, this mandatory statute is going to last a lot more than 30 days... gonna be extended well into the fall

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Lina Hidalgo to announce a 30 day mandatory mask requirement in public in Harris County.  

Fuck that.  I'm not complying. That is over the line. While the rest of the country is inching towards reopening, this little, errrr, strike that (thread rules).  Something needs to happen between now and the 3pm press conference.

A la mierda eso. No estoy cumpliendo Eso está por encima de la línea. Mientras el resto del país avanza lentamente hacia la reapertura, este pequeño, errrr, golpea eso (reglas de hilo). Algo debe suceder entre ahora y la conferencia de prensa de las 3 p.m.

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its been over 2 months since this thing has been up and roaring in the US and people havent either gotten masks or made their own at this point? What the hell have yall been doing under quarantine

i posted on this very thread about a month ago saying this mandatory mask declaration was coming, jfc. 

btw, this mandatory statute is going to last a lot more than 30 days... gonna be extended well into the fall

Ballgame

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, po elvis said:

we ordered masks like a month ago on amazon. think they are supposed to get here sometime this week.

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

They are on a slow boat from China.

this. for almost anything sold by third party sellers go look up the product name and/or photo on aliexpress and you'll find it for half the price in china. Most of the time you're just paying middlemen on amazon to put in an order for you on aliexpress.

28 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You can wear a bandana and comply. Check out any Western wear shop and you can find one.

So- this is completely about form over substance and if we comply in this way we will in no way, shape or form be any safer?  

Cool. Sounds like an awesome thing for the government to mandate. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Ballgame

at some point these ballgame responses are going to stop being funny.

this isn't that point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Fuck that.  I'm not complying. That is over the line. While the rest of the country is inching towards reopening, this little, errrr, strike that (thread rules).  Something needs to happen between now and the 3pm press conference.

A la mierda eso. No estoy cumpliendo Eso está por encima de la línea. Mientras el resto del país avanza lentamente hacia la reapertura, este pequeño, errrr, golpea eso (reglas de hilo). Algo debe suceder entre ahora y la conferencia de prensa de las 3 p.m.

Slow reopening and wear a mask 

or don’t and we end up back sheltering in place 

Not a hard decision. You wanna reopen the country? Make concessions. It’s wearing a mask or face covering, JFC. 

• Like 9
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- this is completely about form over substance and if we comply in this way we will in now way, shape or form be any safer?  

Cool. Sounds like an awesome thing for the government to mandate. 

Will you be safer from infection because you are wearing a mask/bandanna over your face? Maybe, but probably not significantly unless you have a high quality mask. Will you be safer because other people are wearing face coverings? Absolutely. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Not a hard decision. You wanna reopen the country? Make concessions. It’s wearing a mask or face covering, JFC. 

Yup. Shocked we didnt have a nationwide face-covering law a month ago

everyone has something at home that will cover their face

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Mask will get pretty funked up after wearing it 30 days in a row.

That was also my thought. Along with- hey isn’t this thing like 2 microns and a really good and real mask only stops something 5 microns or bigger and tying a bandana around your face is like , lolnahbrolulz?  

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That was also my thought. Along with- hey isn’t this thing like 2 microns and a really good and real mask only stops something 5 microns or bigger and tying a bandana around your face is like , lolnahbrolulz?  

It's not that big of a deal dude once you get used to it. Laredo was the first in the country to mandate the wearing of masks in public and they haven't had any issues with people complying despite being one of the poorest cities in Texas. If the tradeoff is wearing a mask in public in order to reopen the economy, I will gladly take that option.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Posted this a month ago, got mine last week. Here u go again, youre welcome

https://store.envomask.com/mobile/envomask-n95-respirator-kit-p4.aspx

Shit - 3 bills for a family of four to get 5 days' protection. Normally I'm all "fuck it" on shit like this but that even gives me pause.

May need to invest in some blue shop towels.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

What I want to say is cloakroom'ish, so i won't, but there are more than two options on the table. 

Good luck to them enforcing this, btw. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

It's not that big of a deal dude once you get used to it. Laredo was the first in the country to mandate the wearing of masks in public and they haven't had any issues with people complying.

Read again my statement.   Nowhere did it say “I’m not complying”. What I said is- this sounds pointless and stupid if we are all going to be tying bandanas around our faces and going on with life. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Shit - 3 bills for a family of four to get 5 days' protection. Normally I'm all "fuck it" on shit like this but that even gives me pause.

May need to invest in some blue shop towels.

Uhhh what? Filters are reusable, same as a mask

also  if ur looking for a mask, pepper twins has them on their to go menu now

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Read again my statement.   Nowhere did it say “I’m not complying”. What I said is- this sounds pointless and stupid if we are all going to be trying bandanas around our faces and going on with life. 

Like a lot of things in life, ordering shit like this by the politicos gives them the shield of being proactive and that they are doing something to pacify the Karens of the world. If it gives them the cover to reopen businesses, bully on them. Besides, HEB has mandated wearing a mask to enter. That's like 80% of my trips outside the home besides the occasional stops at Home Depot or Walgreens

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away