Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

16 hours ago, B00M said:

https://covid-19.tacc.utexas.edu/projections/

Refreshed the UT model for Texas again not expecting to see a change and instead got a big one:

Probability that the peak has already passed: 64%
Probability that peak will have passed within 7 days: 89%
Probability that peak will have passed within 14 days: 96%

US Totals are pretty impressive too

Probability that the peak has already passed: 99%
Probability that peak will have passed within 7 days: 99%
Probability that peak will have passed within 14 days: 99%

Small Business Rescue Earned Banks $10 Billion In Fees

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/22/840678984/small-business-rescue-earned-banks-10-billion-in-fees

Thank you for your service... fee!

The banks took in the fees while processing loans that required less vetting than regular bank loans and had little risk for the banks, the records show. Taxpayers provided the money for the loans which were guaranteed by the Small Business Administration.

According to a Department of Treasury fact sheet, all federally insured banks and credit unions could process the loans, which ranged in amount from tens of thousands to $10 million. The banks acted essentially as middlemen sending client's loan applications to the SBA, which approved them.

For every transaction made, banks took in 1% to 5% in fees, depending on the amount of the loan, according to government figures. Loans worth less than $350,000 brought in 5% in fees while loans worth anywhere from $2 million to $10 million brought in 1% in fees.

For example, on April 7, RCSH Operations, LLC., the parent company of Ruth's Chris Steak House, received a loan of $10 million. JPMorgan Chase Bank, acting as the lender, took a $100,000 fee on the one-time transaction for which it assumed no risk and could pass through with fewer requirements than for a regular loan.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I hadn't really picked up on the fact that Stockholm is the only part of Sweden really experiencing an outbreak right now. The entire metro area is only 2.4 million people. If all the current deaths (1,937) are from there, you're talking about .08% of the population. That seems like a lot given (1) they are estimating 20% infected, and (2) they've attempted to limit exposure to the elderly population. Let's say the 20% infection estimate is right, that means a CFR of .4% among a group that is supposed to be largely younger and healthier. It also means that Stockholm is actually just behind New York in deaths per million residents (NY at ~1,000, Stockholm at ~800). That outbreak is actually quite a bit worse than I understood. Really good on them for keeping their healthcare system from being overwhelmed so far. 

• Like 1

I hadn't really picked up on the fact that Stockholm is the only part of Sweden really experiencing an outbreak right now. The entire metro area is only 2.4 million people. If all the current deaths (1,937) are from there, you're talking about .08% of the population. That seems like a lot given (1) they are estimating 20% infected, and (2) they've attempted to limit exposure to the elderly population. Let's say the 20% infection estimate is right, that means a CFR of .4% among a group that is supposed to be largely younger and healthier. It also means that Stockholm is actually just behind New York in deaths per million residents (NY at ~1,000, Stockholm at ~800). That outbreak is actually quite a bit worse than I understood. Really good on them for keeping their healthcare system from being overwhelmed so far. 

Generally agree, still a ways to go though for them even. But the dunderheads here will look at the absolute numbers/headlines and say “see!?!? F shutdown” while ignoring the per million death rate or that Sweden is a total anomaly socio economically compared to even other euros.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Generally agree, still a ways to go though for them even. But the dunderheads here will look at the absolute numbers/headlines and say “see!?!? F shutdown” while ignoring the per million death rate or that Sweden is a total anomaly socio economically compared to even other euros.

That type of argument has been shouted down relentlessly in other types of Euro comparison threads.

• Like 1

Ohio is gonna start reopening in May. They'll release details tomorrow.

Gov. Mike DeWine likens the gradual reopening of Ohio on May 1 to a "high-wire act," one that likely will increase coronavirus infections. But, he said, the state and Ohioans can't afford to remain off the job and avoid all risks.
"It's a balancing act," the governor said Tuesday after state Health Director Dr. Amy Acton projected that COVID-19 cases will uptick as people previously isolated at home begin to interact with others again.
"Not a surprise," DeWine added. "There are always tradeoffs."
Ohio cannot afford to shut down its economy and its workforce for up to 18 months to wait out the pandemic, DeWine said as total coronavirus cases in Ohio neared 14,000 and deaths approached 600.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200421/coronavirus-in-ohio-dewine-calls-reopening-rsquohigh-wire-actrsquo-that-will-result-in-more-virus-cases

• Like 1

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow.   Don’t know what the point of that commission is, if you could determine the open/close position of 3/4 of them with a 30-second phone call.  

But say your the Disney World prez on that commission.  This maybe more for the Surly lawyers, but say you open up, and you have it spread, and some visitors catch it, and spread it.  Perhaps a few or their relatives die.  Seems like there is a legal risk there, or if not, there is at least a helluva PR hit that depresses the numbers of visitors.

PR wise Disney cannot risk being pinpointed as a hot spot.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Iceman said:

The banks should work for free?

Is 1% unreasonable?

How about 5%.  For processing a risk free loan....  It's not like the American people have done anything for the poor banks within recent memory, right?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Loco said:

How about 5%.  For processing a risk free loan....  It's not like the American people have done anything for the poor banks within recent memory, right?

Maybe along with the funding, the fee schedule should have been prescribed, which I normally would not support; But yeah, there is virtually no risk with the gov’t funding.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Slorch defending big banks who prioritized bigger businesses to get bigger cuts of the loan. Priceless.

Amazing how one individual is constantly so wrong 

Amazing how you are so defensive.  I didn’t defend them, but rather posed the question: what is reasonable.

Embrace your outrage, bro.  Cling to it.

Edited by Iceman

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This has already been addressed by that group. Something like locking down sock people is a quarantine, locking down everyone is ...I forget the language but that’s the distinction they are drawing. 

is this why we haven't heard from hitby in so long?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Gov. Mike DeWine likens the gradual reopening of Ohio on May 1 to a "high-wire act," one that likely will increase coronavirus infections. But, he said, the state and Ohioans can't afford to remain off the job and avoid all risks.
"It's a balancing act," the governor said Tuesday after state Health Director Dr. Amy Acton projected that COVID-19 cases will uptick as people previously isolated at home begin to interact with others again.
"Not a surprise," DeWine added. "There are always tradeoffs."
Ohio cannot afford to shut down its economy and its workforce for up to 18 months to wait out the pandemic, DeWine said as total coronavirus cases in Ohio neared 14,000 and deaths approached 600.

This is good for Illinois. They keep pushing the deadline out even though most of the Covid projections say the peak has passed here. They followed Ohio into this and will likely take their lead at some level. 

Look at some point we have to take a reasonable level of risk in going back and how that risk is measured needs to be consistent and transparent or the public will just wing it. 

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

For no risk?  How about a small flat fee per loan?

I don't have any love for banks.  full stop.

But these aren't no risk.  The Feds have a long track record of nitpicking technicalities for the guarantees.  

Another reason I believe this should have been handled directly from Treasury to Taxpayer.

• Like 1

Just now, bullzak said:

This is good for Illinois. They keep pushing the deadline out even though most of the Covid projections say the peak has passed here. They followed Ohio into this and will likely take their lead at some level. 

Look at some point we have to take a reasonable level of risk in going back and how that risk is measured needs to be consistent and transparent or the public will just wing it. 

This is where we are headed.

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Another reason I believe this should have been handled directly from Treasury to Taxpayer.

I think Treasury basically outsourced the paperwork to the banks for a fee. Of course the banks took care of their big clients and Mom and Pop were left out in the cold. 

Insert my "shocked" face. 

• Like 2

Has anyone else gotten like 5 census forms already?  We got another one this week.  I think we could have paid for half the corona funding if they hadn't of sent out a billion extra census mailers.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Absolutely this.  Give the money directly to everyone in the country and true it up/means test it on the follow year's tax returns.  Too much waste going to middle men and too much of a delay in getting $$$ in the hands of people who desperately need it yesterday. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Slorch defending big banks who prioritized bigger businesses to get bigger cuts of the loan. Priceless.

Amazing how one individual is constantly so wrong 

I’ve been kicked in the balls personally in my two businesses to the tune of 110k. I was pretty bummed about it when they ran out of funding last time but am coming to grips now. 

Figuring my app got sat on while others were put in the front of the line should send me into a rage, but right now it’s just bumming me out. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Absolutely this.  Give the money directly to everyone in the country and true it up/means test it on the follow year's tax returns.  Too much waste going to middle men and too much of a delay in getting $$$ in the hands of people who desperately need it yesterday. 

I agree with this, but if you don't do something to keep the businesses solvent there will be no jobs to return to when we go re-entry. There is a balance I think. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Lina Hidalgo to announce a 30 day mandatory mask requirement in public in Harris County.  

My wife just asked- is she mailing those masks out?  Because she says she can’t buy any. I haven’t checked the veracity of said story bc I can’t bring myself to care enough. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away