Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

11 hours ago, Loco said:

Disappointing Ned Lyerly was left out

Wow.   Don’t know what the point of that commission is, if you could determine the open/close position of 3/4 of them with a 30-second phone call.  

But say your the Disney World prez on that commission.  This maybe more for the Surly lawyers, but say you open up, and you have it spread, and some visitors catch it, and spread it.  Perhaps a few or their relatives die.  Seems like there is a legal risk there, or if not, there is at least a helluva PR hit that depresses the numbers of visitors.

6 hours ago, Iceman said:

I don't get the protesters on this one.  That's the fucking hill you want to die on?

Sure, voice your opinion, and call your Representative/ Senator;  but I don't get playing this bit in public.  I guess they might not have shit else to do, so let's display our crazy side...

There were some sketchy pop-up websites stirring up some of those cities, the kinds of sites that can be spun up in a few minutes, with a $10 domain name and $2 hosting.

But here in Austin, it was the full on Infowars/Alex Jones crowd, and they’ve been doing that kind of stuff for years.   From my run-ins with that crowd over the years, many of them don’t seem to be...working a 9-to-5 job.   I don’t know what the Austin equivalent of a parent’s basement is, but I think plenty of them reside in whatever it is.  Maybe it’s the proverbial garage apartment.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There were some sketchy pop-up websites stirring up some of those cities, the kinds of sites that can be spun up in a few minutes, with a $10 domain name and $2 hosting.

But here in Austin, it was the full on Infowars/Alex Jones crowd, and they’ve been doing that kind of stuff for years.   From my run-ins with that crowd over the years, many of them don’t seem to be...working a 9-to-5 job.   I don’t know what the Austin equivalent of a parent’s basement is, but I think plenty of them reside in whatever it is.  Maybe it’s the proverbial garage apartment.  

Welfare and disability. It's everyone else who is lazy and hates freedom though.

• Like 1

I found this one great: "Experts said government officials should publicize their coronavirus assumptions so everyone can be confident in their work."
Found below where their projections range from: 94k to 1.1M

This is awesome. Some of us have moved experts to one step below a meteorologist, others take their word for gold.

35 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

people are seeing the NY/NJ are half the numbers and the other places aren't blowing way up like expected.  The NorthEast + Mich is still hot but not boiling.  the rest of the country is willing to take a chance with a slow open and a more educated populace about social distancing.  I think that is why they kept the schools closed.  everything they do is in packs/groups/large groups and they don't have the faculties "en masse" to understand certain situations.

Slow open with social distancing?

Open movie theaters, restaurants, and bowling alleys!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Did you know that you can order cereal 8-12 boxes at a time?  We had 8-12 boxes of of 3-4 different cereals (each, so 40ish boxes of cereal) to kick this all off.  I've also got enough canned cheese, chili and beans to shut down our local sanitation plant.  I really must apologize for my house contributing to the run on food items last month.  

Where? I need to know where you can buy all that cereal.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bullzak said:

I think they want to lock down through Memorial Day but dont really have a solid data based reason for it. 

1234.  If Memorial Day blows up, that’s June when we see the results, and feeds July (4th).

Meanwhile, Nextdoor.com is blowing up with people trying to identify some guy who was out walking his dog, and either he or his dog licked some 5 year-old’s vagina.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

My wife cut my 10yo son's hair today.  It.. wasn't good...

She offered to cut mine, and I politely declined.  So, my descent into further looking like early-Full House-John Stamos continues.

Uncle Jesse be cool... you be cool too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think they call that Pflugerville.
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

I know people at the U of Minnesota that are preparing for a fall semester conducted entirely online. 

I think it's premature for universities to make this decision, things are going to look very different through an entirely new lens a few months from now, than they do now.

Aside from that, universities are also going to discover that there's a big difference between students and parents being willing to put up with online schooling in the midst of a global pandemic and making the best of it for the final 1/4 of a schoolyear, versus willingly paying for an entire semester of compromised online schooling, premeditated and with full information at their disposal.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

I know people at the U of Minnesota that are preparing for a fall semester conducted entirely online. 

Anything that keeps you inside during anything but the 4 weeks of non-winter they have. 

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah I have lots of posts in the CR, I enjoyed going there to mix it up, but it's become a bunch of echo chamber, self righteous pricks. Not everyone of course, but enough of the usual suspects that it's just a beating to even look in at times.   Getting called a racist or a trumpkin because you don't agree with the cabals jihad message is boring, and pretty lame.   I don't neg rep people because I don't agree with their comments, and if I do/did, on those very rare occasions I say why I'm doing it. 

I don't believe my opinion is the ONLY answer, it's just an opinion.  The Cabal doesn't tolerate opinions that differ from theirs. You're wrong, I'm right, and you're an asshole.  My team is the only good team, and yours is always wrong, and is the one doing all the horrible things in our country, 100% of the time.

what a fucking little bitch. get the fuck out of here with this shit @immamac @blacklab

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

what a fucking little bitch. get the fuck out of here with this shit @immamac @blacklab

I'm sorry, what have I said that's hurt you so much ?  I responded to a question. I should have done it as a PM to keep this from being political.  My mistake and my apologies. I'll even edit it away.

Damn... your'e a dick Blknsty

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

My dad went into the hospital early in February.  He'd been in and out so many times over the past 5 years that I often didnt know he'd even been there (he lived in Oregon.) I talked to him about every 2-3 weeks so he could easily spend a few days or even a week there for another bout with pneumonia or liver issues or whatever else.  But in early February he was back in and this time they found cancer in his liver, lungs and about everywhere else.  He already had a pretty severe cirrhosis issue.  He was my dad but we'd fallen out a long time ago and he'd burned pretty much every bridge he'd ever had. 

But, I planned a trip when they found cancer.  Figured he had several months at least but I decided to go up a week or so later.  He got the cancer news on a Thursday and had a meeting with oncology Friday morning.    He thought he would have treatment options until he saw the oncologist.  I was in contact with his doctor that week and he knew I was planning on coming.  Friday afternoon the doc called me and said "I cant tell you anything for sure but the sooner you can get up here,  the better.  Like maybe tomoorrow." 

I was on an 8 am flight out of IAH and in his hospital room just after lunch time.  Dad was awake and recognized me but it was obvious he was fading.  Spent all afternoon and evening with him.  Came back early Sunday morning and he was non-responsive to voices or stimuli but breathing in his own.  I left to go get his personal papers and start getting ready for whatever was next.  He had a living will and a DNR so it seemed like just a matter of time.

I was scheduled to meet hospice at noon and was on my way back go the hospital around 11:15 when the doc called me and said "How far out are you?  If you can get here soon."  I was about 5 minutes from the hospital.  I got to his room and he was laboriously breathing.  Sat there with him until the hospice worker showed up.  Maybe 10 minutes the breathing got shallower and very slow.  One or two struggling breaths and then a sort of whoosh.  And he was gone.  He had been a major jackass for most of his life to pretty much everyone he ever met but the sumbitch went out quickly and quietly.  Almost peacefully.  I was grateful to have been there so he didnt die alone or with strangers.  

This whole COVID thing is a big shit sandwich and we're all taking a bite.   

This is the most heart-breaking thing to me in this, people dying in hospitals alone (other than docs and nurses) and apart from family. I have a client (and friend) whose mother died of COVID-19 a couple weeks back. They didn't get to see her. I can't imagine what that must be like for the victim to know you're fighting for your life, good chance you're not going to make it and not get to say goodbyes. Just horrible.

• Like 2

Just now, po elvis said:

Don't they have to use it to pay their employees and for rent while they are closed for two months?

Only if they want the "loan" forgiven. Otherwise, they have to pay it back at (I think) 1 percent interest when this all blows over.

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Only if they want the "loan" forgiven. Otherwise, they have to pay it back at (I think) 1 percent interest when this all blows over.

If you're the employee who gets let go, however, you're immediately going public.  They made themselves unbelievably huge targets for pushback if they don't take care of their staff.  People know that what the money was intended for, small business, franchise, or whatever... then you add in that the money they got in loans quite possibly came at the expense of mom and pop shops...

Yeah... they needn't fuck up or they're gonna get hammered.  Rightfully so.

Edited by Iceman

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm sorry, what have I said that's hurt you so much ?  I responded to a question. I should have done it as a PM to keep this from being political.  My mistake and my apologies. I'll even edit it away.

fucking stop.

Edited by BLKNSTY
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Iceman said:

If you're the employee who gets let go, however, you're immediately going public.  They made themselves unbelievably huge targets for pushback if they don't take care of their staff.  People know that what the money was intended for, small business, franchise, or whatever... then you add in that the money they got in loans quite possibly came at the expense of mom and pop shops...

Yeah... they needn't fuck up or they're gonna get hammered.  Rightfully so.

Don't disagree. The cash was supposed to go to "real" small businesses as a layman would define them. This next round is setting aside $60 billion for a lot of those, but I fear it's going to be too late for many.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Probably around 20 years for me.

It's been 25+ years for me but I have a $100 GC somebody gave me. I honestly don't even know where to find one in Dallas. Why bother when you've got a dozen steakhouses better.

41 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

SMU is apparently already discussing this possibility.

35 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I think it's premature for universities to make this decision, things are going to look very different through an entirely new lens a few months from now, than they do now.

Aside from that, universities are also going to discover that there's a big difference between students and parents being willing to put up with online schooling in the midst of a global pandemic and making the best of it for the final 1/4 of a schoolyear, versus willingly paying for an entire semester of compromised online schooling, premeditated and with full information at their disposal.  

Agreed.

17 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This is how I understand it.

Beginning next week, H-E-B stores will expand their hours of operation, which were reduced last month to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

H-E-B stores on Monday will begin opening at 7 a.m. and closing at 10 p.m. until further notice. H-E-B pharmacies will continue to operate from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays and will adhere to their normal weekend hours.

Also on Monday, Central Market stores will change their store hours to 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Mi Tienda locations will update store hours to 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

"With an improving supply chain and stronger product availability, our stores have the capacity to serve more customers throughout the day," an H-E-B statement says. "Along with our new hours, we continue to ease product limits on many items, and customers will start to notice many popular departments reopen, such as our bakery, deli and floral departments."

• Like 1

I would be interested to see the # of deaths or infections as a function of mass transit in the different areas. Don’t know if there would be enough areas to decouple the effect of just population density from mass transit riders per day. 

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My local Walmart, which happens to be the grocery store of choice for most, says they will have curbside pickup sometime in late May. 
the 1/4 sized Albertsons seems to have no intention to do anything at all.  
it’s as if no positive tests means do as little as possible to keep it under control. 

normally, mid May is when people from all over the world start pouring into town on their way to or from the park. We’ll see what happens then. 

Didn't I see you're near Yellowstone somewhere?   Have you found that old mans gold yet?   I worked out where it is but hopefully someone who really needs it finds/found it.  

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Where? I need to know where you can buy all that cereal.

I think she bought it off Amazon. She started stockpiling in February from de earl online places, buying in bulk. She claims she doesn’t know about this site, but I’m not positive she doesn’t post as Greenspoint. 

We still have some ppe stockpiles from the Ebola “outbreak.”  And I use the term we looly

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Abbott will overrule him. This thing is about to end here. Good. Jenkins has overstayed his welcome. He’s done a very poor Cuomo impersonation. 

Abbott will say he overrules him. I actually don't think the governor has the legal authority to do that though. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Abbott will say he overrules him. I actually don't think the governor has the legal authority to do that though. 

I've heard people say that.  I'd be interested to see proof, if you have any links to the statutes?

53 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Also on Monday, Central Market stores will change their store hours to 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Mi Tienda locations will update store hours to 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Pro tip: The lines at Central Market on north Lamar seem to be shorter later in the day.  Not sure if this holds true for other stores or not.

Edited by Texas Jeff

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away