Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Not being political, I know there are tough times for people, but I'm in favor of erring on the side of saving people rather than taking an unknown risk before the benchmarks outlined by the Federal commission have been met. I know others, seen below, disagree - but I thought it was a funny collage 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Not being political, I know there are tough times for people, but I'm in favor of erring on the side of saving people rather than taking an unknown risk before the benchmarks outlined by the Federal commission have been met. I know others, seen below, disagree - but I thought it was a funny collage 

Ha! I love "Let my people GO-LF"

And I don't think it's political for you to state that you want to be cautious, nor do I think it's political when others respond that they think it's time to uncork this thing and get on with life.  Those are both just opinions.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Is this program part of what would have been overseen by the position that got eliminated right after the bill passed?

I have no idea.   Boom had been a stock I owned for a while (sold a month ago) so just funny to see them on the small business loan list.

28 minutes ago, B00M said:

UT's models for Texas as of just now

Probability that the peak has already passed: 39%
Probability that peak will have passed within 7 days: 75%
Probability that peak will have passed within 14 days: 91%

I assume this is operating under the premise that nothing re-opens and we remained locked down, correct?

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

he's not wrong. not political because this is beyond parties. the shit is broke.

turn sound on. warning, lots of yelling and cursing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/therewasanattempt/comments/g53j6j/to_stay_calm_while_telling_the_government_what_to/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I mean. Pretty good video. 

Why is the media so obsessed with small groups of idiot protesters? It's kind of interesting, like a train wreck I guess, but these are a small fringe, the same idiots who carry bazookas into McDonalds 'cause 'murica. But they don't represent the public, and it's a distraction. They aren't going to overcome the science of how and when we can start opening shit up, so why again are they taking such an inordinate amount of media?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Why is the media so obsessed with small groups of idiot protesters? It's kind of interesting, like a train wreck I guess, but these are a small fringe, the same idiots who carry bazookas into McDonalds 'cause 'murica. But they don't represent the public, and it's a distraction. They aren't going to overcome the science of how and when we can start opening shit up, so why again are they taking such an inordinate amount of media?

Lay off the media, man. They are always thrusted into the worst situations.spacer.png

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think he was right next to the dipshit saying we'd have 15k deaths a day by April 15th. 

Tried to quote XYZ as well. As of the 15th the death toll was 25829. Not that far off of the 25k number.

I have tracked daily using:

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/coronavirus-testing-by-state-chart-of-new-cases/

Edited by LebongJames

52 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Who was the genius who predicted that we would have <25k deaths by April 15?

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

per the CDC website  April 16th(which included 4/15) we had sub 25K if you don't include the 4K maybes

2 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Tried to quote XYZ as well. As of the 15th the death toll was 25829. Not that off of the 25k number.

I have tracked daily using:

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/coronavirus-testing-by-state-chart-of-new-cases/

I’ve edited XYZ’s post to state what he was clearly trying to communicate.

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

$$$$$$$$

and

👀👀👀

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't get the protesters on this one.  That's the fucking hill you want to die on?

Sure, voice your opinion, and call your Representative/ Senator;  but I don't get playing this bit in public.  I guess they might not have shit else to do, so let's display our crazy side...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If it bleeds it leads. 

Just now, Continental Op said:
5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Apparently they're getting it from fat chicks

Apparently, because that is some crappy infection control.

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why is this surprising to you? The media is constantly trying to sell outrage. There’s not much else going on in the streets.

• Like 3

“Part of that approach relies on having access to one of the world’s best-functioning health-care systems. At no stage did Sweden see a real shortage of medical equipment or hospital capacity, and tents set up as emergency care facilities around the country have mostly remained empty.”
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why is this surprising to you? The media is constantly trying to sell outrage. There’s not much else going on in the streets.

Coverage of fringe protestors is good for CNN, coverage of CNN's coverage of fringe protestors is good for Fox...and then Twitter happens

• Like 5

1 minute ago, gecko said:

Coverage of fringe protestors is good for CNN, coverage of CNN's coverage of fringe protestors is good for Fox...and then Twitter happens

Yeah I get it, I just wish they'd let the twitter tabloids take the lead and just mention them in passing. Just annoying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

“Part of that approach relies on having access to one of the world’s best-functioning health-care systems. At no stage did Sweden see a real shortage of medical equipment or hospital capacity, and tents set up as emergency care facilities around the country have mostly remained empty.”

Well, that and just saying the Swedes haven't shutdown is a bit misleading. The government hasn't mandated shutdowns, but people, at the government's suggestion, are doing a lot of economic shutdown on their own:

"Swedes appear to be following such guidelines without the need for legislation. Trips from Stockholm to Gotland -- a popular vacation destination -- dropped by 96% over the Easter weekend, according to data from the country’s largest mobile operator, Telia Company. And online service Citymapper’s statistics indicate an almost 75% drop in mobility in the capital.

Sweden also recently pushed back against the notion that there’s little to no social distancing going on.

'We don’t have a radically different view,' Foreign Minister Ann Linde said in an interview with Radio Sweden. 'The government has made a series of decisions that affect the whole society. It’s a myth that life goes on as normal in Sweden.'"

• Like 3

ugh... do we have a thread specific to the coronavirus stimulus checks? my sister and niece have a situation... husband and i don't qualify for shit so i dunno anything about it... niece is flipping out, she was laid off (restaurant) and is still trying to save for college in the fall. assuming she can still go. just fuck everything. 

anyway... seems like she should be eligible, or her mom should have gotten extra for her (turned 18 in january)..but nada...

Edited by mchookem

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Isn’t that pretty much everywhere in the US except for New York?

Well, local governments here actually mandated shutdowns. So I guess that statement is true, but it doesn't really have any relationship to the rest of the context about Sweden supposedly not needing hard shutdowns to avoid an overwhelmed healthcare system. 

26 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’ve edited XYZ’s post to state what he was clearly trying to communicate.

Something tells me he meant 'per day' and also doesn't know the difference between < and > ... But that's based purely on his presumed understanding of the word 'dipshit' 

No. Our infrastructure (and health) is poor. Distancing has mitigated catastrophe. Removing distancing is not recommended because the conditions still exist to wipe out any community, rural and urban alike.

7 minutes ago, mchookem said:

ugh... do we have a thread specific to the coronavirus stimulus checks? my sister and niece have a situation... husband and i don't qualify for shit so i dunno anything about it... niece is flipping out, she was laid off (restaurant) and is still trying to save for college in the fall. assuming she can still go. just fuck everything. 

anyway... seems like she should be eligible, or her mom should have gotten extra for her (turned 18 in january)..but nada...

You could try one of these:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Are you suggesting that the US can make a claim for the "world’s best-functioning health-care systems"? If based on skill and technology, maybe. If based on accessibility, nope. I don't think much more can be said without breaking the rules.

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is the guy who didn’t know what an anecdote was 

A multiplicity of anecdotes doesn't make them less anecdotal.

Of course, the rest of us are relying mostly on anecdotes, also.

But confining anecdotes to observations in grocery, big box, and convenience stores is a rather limited view.

In central/north Dallas, traffic is way down.  The parking lots of most strip malls and all mall malls are pretty empty.  Collin County seems considerably more active, but the same is generally true.

12 minutes ago, mchookem said:

don't quote me but your niece sounds exactly like the type of person that would get nothing if her parents filed 2019 already. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, mchookem said:

It's going to be a question of when and how they filed taxes. If she was a dependent on your sister's last filed tax return, she'll get $500. If not, and she didn't file taxes in 2018 or 2019, she's fucked.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Your niece got nothing, and her parents nothing for her unless she files her own and is not claimed as a dependent.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/03/stimulus-check-college-students-adult-dependents/

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away