Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

38 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

For sure.  It seems to me that giving individuals money directly could have provided relief to businesses trying to keep paying their employees for not working as well tho.

Isn’t that what the extra unemployment benefits are for, and relaxed rules of who qualifies?  I know my wife was less anxious about possibly laying people off once she knew they would get 4k a month while they were off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Like a lot of things in life, ordering shit like this by the politicos gives them the shield of being proactive and that they are doing something to pacify the Karens of the world. If it gives them the cover to reopen businesses, bully on them. Besides, HEB has mandated wearing a mask to enter. That's like 80% of my trips outside the home besides the occasional stops at Home Depot or Walgreens

The government is not trying to pacify the Karen’s. The government is the Karen

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yes. It comes with 5 filters. Let the day 1 sit on ur counter or garage or wherever until day 6 and itll be clean again (the virus wont live 5 days). After day 2, do the same thing, and so on and soforth

So $125 and effort to pointlessly comply or free and no effort to pointlessly comply. Wonder which most people will pick? 

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That was also my thought. Along with- hey isn’t this thing like 2 microns and a really good and real mask only stops something 5 microns or bigger and tying a bandana around your face is like , lolnahbrolulz?  

The masks help slow the spread even if they aren't ideal. Again, it isn't about you protecting YOU by wearing a mask. It is about you protecting other people by wearing a mask and vice-versa. Even a shoddy mask will limit the spread of droplets coming out of your mouth while talking, sneezing, coughing, etc. If everyone does it, the population wide effect can be quite large. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yes. It comes with 5 filters. Let the day 1 sit on ur counter or garage or wherever until day 6 and itll be clean again (the virus wont live 5 days). After day 2, do the same thing, and so on and soforth

I thought the virus lived up to 14 days.

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That was also my thought. Along with- hey isn’t this thing like 2 microns and a really good and real mask only stops something 5 microns or bigger and tying a bandana around your face is like , lolnahbrolulz?  

Do you think there’s lots of individual covid spheres floating around, or is it more likely to be droplets of saliva, phlegm, and mucus being expelled that are large enough to be stopped by lots of different materials?  Especially when it’s right across the face of the person expelling the virus.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I'm not a doctor and I haven't read as much about this as most, but I don't think this statement tracks.

"“In major parts of Sweden, around Stockholm, we have reached a plateau (in new cases) and we’re already seeing the effect of herd immunity and in a few weeks’ time we’ll see even more of the effects of that. "

I'm pretty sure that "flattening the curve" (i.e., hitting a plateau of new cases) is not the same as herd immunity. The article later says:

"Herd immunity among a population, usually achieved through vaccination, is reached when around 60% of citizens are deemed immune." and "Tegnell said sampling and modeling data indicated that 20% of Stockholm’s population is already immune to the virus, and that “in a few weeks’ time we might reach herd immunity and we believe that is why we’re seeing a slow decline in cases, in spite of sampling (testing for the coronavirus) more and more.”

It seems to me there is a big difference between 20% and 60%. Are they seriously expecting the number of infections and recoveries to increase three times over in a few weeks? Or are they speculating that a large portion of their population is immune because they never caught it? I read that while the governments didn't issue shut down orders, they suggested social distancing and stay-at-home and the people were mostly complying, which is something that society can do much more easily than us because of their social programs that allow people to not go broke by missing a paycheck or two.

I have read enough to think there is something seriously flawed in this article. I'll be interested to see some articles that might clarify this a little. If this were true, then the protesters would be right, but they aren't based on everything else we've seen from doctors and pandemic experts.

Edited by 'stache

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Will you be safer from infection because you are wearing a mask/bandanna over your face? Maybe, but probably not significantly unless you have a high quality mask. Will you be safer because other people are wearing face coverings? Absolutely. 

This.  The mask isn't for you it's for the people around you.  And while a bandana isn't going to stop droplets from a hard cough or sneeze it will help stop the droplets that fly from normal breathing or talking.  Is it perfect?  No.  Does it help? Yes.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve been kicked in the balls personally in my two businesses to the tune of 110k. I was pretty bummed about it when they ran out of funding last time but am coming to grips now. 

Figuring my app got sat on while others were put in the front of the line should send me into a rage, but right now it’s just bumming me out. 

My firm is working with several of the big banks.  Pulling hundreds of staff from partners all the way down to just process loans working shifts 24x7.  We processed 10,000 SBA loans yesterday and its like we didn't even make a dent in the queue.  I imagine that all the other Big 4 are doing similar things.  Hang in there.

• Like 2

A few weeks ago there was a Freaknomics podcast episode The Side Effects of Social Distancing that talked about a study showing reduced mortality in China due to reduced pollution during their quarantines. The study is by Mashall Burke from Stanford who estimates between 50,000 and 75,000 lives will be saved due to this. Here is the link for anyone interested:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2020/03/16/coronavirus-lockdown-may-have-saved-77000-lives-in-china-just-from-pollution-reduction/#f63dcbb34fe3 

This is just in China alone, which they probably have the worst pollution in the world, but one would think that similar quarantines worldwide would further increase the number of lives saved.

I would also expect that non-COVID all-cause mortality is down worldwide due to reduced rates of traffic fatalities, work-related injuries, violence, etc. I haven't seen any data to support that, but it would make sense to me.

Although being fair, I could also believe that certain health-related causes of death like kidney failure and myocardial infarction are possibly higher due to reluctance to seek medical care, difficulty accessing medical services like dialysis, etc.

The primary goal of social distancing is obviously to save lives by flattening the curve, which has been successful thus far. However, when we think about the secondary effects of social distancing on a macro level and the lives that are "unintentionally" being saved, do we at some point credit ourselves with some mortality capital that helps offset current and future COVID-19 deaths? Or perhaps that mortality capital is too small relative to COVID-19 to even be considered significant?

I'm not sure if this matters only for peace of mind for some people, or if it's also something to consider as decisions are being made about reopening states and countries. We currently have 45,000+ deaths in the U.S. and it's easy to fixate on that and freak out about how bad COVID-19 is, but one would hope our social distancing efforts have been good on multiple levels beyond just flattening the curve, and unfortunately that doesn't tend to get reflected on worldometer or Johns Hopkins COVID-19 dashboards.

I'm kind of rambling here, but hopefully someone understands the point I'm struggling to make.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

She can go bra-less and use hers like this
cdf2d354dafd8888f4f4e3b05acdcf25.jpg

Do these judges also have Anime eyes?

Nothing is quite as hawt as looking like an insect from Centauri.

mantis.0.png

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

My firm is working with several of the big banks.  Pulling hundreds of staff from partners all the way down to just process loans working shifts 24x7.  We processed 10,000 SBA loans yesterday and its like we didn't even make a dent in the queue.  I imagine that all the other Big 4 are doing similar things.  Hang in there.

Same firm?  I had a few of my staff get pulled off to work on this, but they weren't highly utilized anyways so no big deal. They are now working from 6pm-6am.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TexasGrunt said:

If you need a mask, go to Amazon and get some Motorcycle masks..  I ordered last year for riding in the winter.  Just checked and some still available.  Also, cheap.   May not protect but its a face cover.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes!

19 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

A few weeks ago there was a Freaknomics podcast episode The Side Effects of Social Distancing that talked about a study showing reduced mortality in China due to reduced pollution during their quarantines. The study is by Mashall Burke from Stanford who estimates between 50,000 and 75,000 lives will be saved due to this. Here is the link for anyone interested:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2020/03/16/coronavirus-lockdown-may-have-saved-77000-lives-in-china-just-from-pollution-reduction/#f63dcbb34fe3 

This is just in China alone, which they probably have the worst pollution in the world, but one would think that similar quarantines worldwide would further increase the number of lives saved.

I would also expect that non-COVID all-cause mortality is down worldwide due to reduced rates of traffic fatalities, work-related injuries, violence, etc. I haven't seen any data to support that, but it would make sense to me.

Although being fair, I could also believe that certain health-related causes of death like kidney failure and myocardial infarction are possibly higher due to reluctance to seek medical care, difficulty accessing medical services like dialysis, etc.

The primary goal of social distancing is obviously to save lives by flattening the curve, which has been successful thus far. However, when we think about the secondary effects of social distancing on a macro level and the lives that are "unintentionally" being saved, do we at some point credit ourselves with some mortality capital that helps offset current and future COVID-19 deaths? Or perhaps that mortality capital is too small relative to COVID-19 to even be considered significant?

I'm not sure if this matters only for peace of mind for some people, or if it's also something to consider as decisions are being made about reopening states and countries. We currently have 45,000+ deaths in the U.S. and it's easy to fixate on that and freak out about how bad COVID-19 is, but one would hope our social distancing efforts have been good on multiple levels beyond just flattening the curve, and unfortunately that doesn't tend to get reflected on worldometer or Johns Hopkins COVID-19 dashboards.

I'm kind of rambling here, but hopefully someone understands the point I'm struggling to make.

this is all an effort to make social security solvent again.

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is-why-advice-on-whether-you-should-wear-a-mask-is-just-so-confusing

To resolve this question, we analysed 14 randomised trials of mask wearing and infection for influenza-like illnesses. (There are no randomised trials involving COVID-19 itself, so the best we can do is look at similar diseases.)

When we combined the results of these trials that studied the effect of masks versus no masks in health-care workers and the general population, they did not show that wearing masks leads to any substantial reduction of influenza-like illness. However, the studies were too small to rule out a minor effect for masks.

59 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ill take heat for this but whatever

Its been over 2 months since this thing has been up and roaring in the US and people havent either gotten masks or made their own at this point? What the hell have yall been doing under quarantine

i posted on this very thread about a month ago saying this mandatory mask declaration was coming, jfc. 

btw, this mandatory statute is going to last a lot more than 30 days... gonna be extended well into the fall

Do you think that a dutiful reading your posts would be more likely to prompt the average sulryer to:

a) mask up

b) go to the nearest Covid ICU and lick the linoleum

c) commit suicide

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

How many of you have a bad-ass University of Texas mask?  I have a very nice one my neighbor made. 

When I come out of my house in about six months, I am going to wear it.

My friend does costume design for the local opera and made me a badass OSU mask. I'll post it later.

1 hour ago, bullzak said:

I think Treasury basically outsourced the paperwork to the banks for a fee. Of course the banks took care of their big clients and Mom and Pop were left out in the cold. 

Insert my "shocked" face. 

That happened to my friend in Detroit who owns a printing business. He’s pissed at his bank.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ill take heat for this but whatever

Its been over 2 months since this thing has been up and roaring in the US and people havent either gotten masks or made their own at this point? What the hell have yall been doing under quarantine

Well, the dude with the Brazilian gf has been fucking up a storm in a cabin out in the woods.

5 hours ago, RayDog said:

I have lived with her for 7 of the 11 months I have known her, so she was a girlfriend but now we are friends with boom-boom, who happen to be living together again during the lockdown. I am not paying her to live with me, but I do buy food and other stuff she needs. I also give her money to send to her family to buy food. I don't know what you would call that as I also send money to women for food who I am not having sex with. I think I could refer to her as a girlfriend if I want.

Perhaps you would live with a woman for six months and not consider her a girlfriend. That sounds weird to me.

Some of us would use the term "wife".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- this is completely about form over substance and if we comply in this way we will in no way, shape or form be any safer?  

Cool. Sounds like an awesome thing for the government to mandate. 

TSA-1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I am curious, did the podcast address drug overdoses and suicides?  It is my understanding that those among other negatives are on the rise during the quarantine.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away