CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Eh, rep is serious business and all, but if someone posts an accusation that a poster likes to diddle kids, and then adds "man it's a great day outside", I'm probably going to look askance at any poster who pos reps because they like great days.

Negged for using ‘askance.’

7 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Now he claims leaders from the rest of the world are calling him & telling him he's done an amazing job that no one else could have done. I bet many of them were crying when they called him. Tears in the eyes of these strong people.

3 hours later he’s up quoting anonymous sources.  Such a fucking fraud. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

The delusion is the fantasy that you created in your mind that I supported that aspect of the post.  If you really need me to explain something as trivial as a pos rep to you, I am happy to do so.  You don't have to scribe out a long rant where you insult me directly, repeatedly, to get me to engage you and explain any of my positions or even something as trivial as why I click the rep button. I actually paused a bit before I repped that post, because I disagreed with the second part, but I went ahead anyways because the first part was spot on. I understand being upset when somebody baselessly insults your allegiance to our country.  It's happened quite a bit on this board. I never recall you getting as worked up about it before.  I guess it's different when it is directed at you. 

Yes, I was wrong. Yesterday, when I had gone back to it, I saw that you were one of the posters who had pos repped it and was a little hurt by it. After his and my exchange, I bowed out for the remainder of the day because, quite frankly, I had a busy day and can only take so much of the discussion. Last night, I turned to streaming, facetiming with friends, and lots drinking instead of coming back to this board and only woke up at noon today and still haven't got caught up.

As a slight thread drift, I'll tell you that I live alone and my daughter is with her mom in Lubbock. Living alone, right now, in this climate is difficult in near total isolation isn't terribly fun. My dog, and constant companion, died this past fall so my only company is my daughter's cat who passes in and out occasionally through the old dog door. So, yeah, the internet/surly is basically the only non-work human interaction I have at the moment and its importance has become outsized and unhealthy. This should probably be in the form of a PM but I'd prefer it remain a "public" confession and apology.

I'm sorry for how I came off and specifically pointed you out as a target for my frustration/anger at the hypocrisy I see expressed on that other thread.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

As a slight thread drift, I'll tell you that I live alone and my daughter is with her mom in Lubbock. Living alone, right now, in this climate is difficult in near total isolation isn't terribly fun. My dog, and constant companion, died this past fall so my only company is my daughter's cat who passes in and out occasionally through the old dog door. So, yeah, the internet/surly is basically the only non-work human interaction I have at the moment and its importance has become outsized and unhealthy. This should probably be in the form of a PM but I'd prefer it remain a "public" confession and apology.

I'm sorry for how I came off and specifically pointed you out as a target for my frustration/anger at the hypocrisy I see expressed on that other thread.

It's all good man.  I can't imagine the strain of that situation.  I was thinking about that the other day in fact, how difficult this SiP must be for people who are sheltering by themselves. Most days I want to strangle my kids from time to time, but fuck if it isn't damn comforting to be able to tuck them in each night. I've tried to set aside time at the front end of each of my work meetings to talk non-work stuff, and give people (myself) an outlet for some of the social interactions that we would typically get with others.  It's hard on all of us. Sometimes the internets make that better, sometimes it distinctly doesn't. 

• Like 1

Now he claims leaders from the rest of the world are calling him & telling him he's done an amazing job that no one else could have done. I bet many of them were crying when they called him. Tears in the eyes of these strong people.

If we are being honest, other leaders should be calling him and praising him daily if they want what’s best for their country.

If you are an NFL GM, do you call Bill O’Brien and mock him after trading away his best player for
peanuts? Or do you get on his good side and hope you are the next person who gets to take advantage of him?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I've already clearly highlighted the portion of the post that I agreed with.  And you just further demonstrate the reason why. So maybe you can stop lying now, and step back from the delusional narrative you have created in your own mind.   

Well, that sounds like bullshit.  Did you "like" the post?  I'm not going to go search it out, but if you did, that's essentially a tacit "like" of the WHOLE post.  Reversing field and claiming you only liked SOME of it (which you conveniently get to define down the road) is . . . well, as I said, it's bullshit.

EDIT:  eh, fuck it, I'm not gonna delete because it's probably been seen at this point, but it seems like you guys figured it out.  Still, rep is serious damn bidness.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Friendly reminder the leader of the free world has no idea how to stand.  

Like most men my age, I have a bit of a beer gut.  I mean, I'm hardly obese -- I'm within the target weight range for my height, although closer to the top than I'd care to admit -- but for fuck's sake, why would someone try to accentuate their belly?

38 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yes, I was wrong. Yesterday, when I had gone back to it, I saw that you were one of the posters who had pos repped it and was a little hurt by it. After his and my exchange, I bowed out for the remainder of the day because, quite frankly, I had a busy day and can only take so much of the discussion. Last night, I turned to streaming, facetiming with friends, and lots drinking instead of coming back to this board and only woke up at noon today and still haven't got caught up.

Sorry to hear this. As former resident of Lubbock I can say you’re in one of the few situations where someone would actually wish to be there.  

But seriously, good luck to you.

This too shall pass. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Friendly reminder the leader of the free world has no idea how to stand.  

7577C3D4-1571-4B08-812E-E7237C91C1A8.jpeg

It’s probably been said, but it looks like this is the split second that a ski jumper is exploding upward at the end of the ramp. 

Billions of lives were saved thanks to Trump.

There you have it, GR, from your leader...the fatality rate is over 15% (presuming that be means that at least 1 billion would die). Can’t argue with facts like that. That’s your guy, who is driving our policy decisions.

Good job.
  • Like 4

I just can’t believe we have people protesting the state actions to contain the virus by shutting down for 4-6 weeks. We have China, SK, Italy, England, NY and elsewhere that demonstrates how serious this is and yet people either don’t believe it, or think that is an inappropriate response?

Also, is it true that right wing wealthy people are financing some of these protests?

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I just can’t believe we have people protesting the state actions to contain the virus by shutting down for 4-6 weeks. We have China, SK, Italy, England, NY and elsewhere that demonstrates how serious this is and yet people either don’t believe it, or think that is an inappropriate response?

Also, is it true that right wing wealthy people are financing some of these protests?

Believe it.

Yes.  At least that is what is being reported.