CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, Mole said:

Lying suggests that they’re hiding a more accurate count. Tracking this through large parts of India’s population has to be almost impossible. But yeah, their numbers have to be way low.

Okay. They’re probably not lying, but I do think they may be trying to suppress a higher number. 

https://thewire.in/health/covid-19-india-two-million-cases-underreporting

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Maybe you missed my question on DT thread. What’s been your experience in Houston as far as health care workers getting infected?

Seems as though everyone I know who has been infected has likely been infected from outside the hospital setting. We are testing all of our patients for covid pre-surgery, and have not had to do surgery on a single positive case, yet multiple people at multiple hospitals during different time frames have come down with it.

tldr: wearing a mask fucking works like a charm, and there is not once incidence of spread between patient to healthcare worker or healthcare worker to healthcare worker that we have seen since feb

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Seems as though everyone I know who has been infected has likely been infected from outside the hospital setting. We are testing all of our patients for covid pre-surgery, and have not had to do surgery on a single positive case, yet multiple people at multiple hospitals during different time frames have come down with it.

tldr: wearing a mask fucking works like a charm, and there is not once incidence of spread between patient to healthcare worker or healthcare worker to healthcare worker that we have seen since feb

I wasn’t questioning masks just looking for other health care worker’s observations about their coworkers relative rate of infection. Here we’ve seen very little of it in any setting. I’m thinking healthcare workers have natural protection from their repeated exposure to other viruses. Perhaps further evidence of the GOP T cell hypothesis. 

It would also help explain why young children do much better relative to everyone else. 

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I wasn’t questioning masks just looking for other health care worker’s observations about their coworkers relative rate of infection. Here we’ve seen very little of it in any setting. I’m thinking healthcare workers have natural protection from their repeated exposure to other viruses. Perhaps further evidence of the GOP T cell hypothesis. 

It would also help explain why young children do much better relative to everyone else. 

Yeah definitely. We cover 2 hospitals and 27 surgery centers/surgical hospitals/offices. 

I think we have had a total of maybe 10 staff members (out of the maybe 500 staff members) - excluding the hospitals - who have contracted the virus since march. I think all of them contracted it between april and early june. 

Since early june, we have not had a single staff member (that we know of) catch it. Either we’ve all already had it, or have some  immunity or cross-immunity to it from other viruses. 

My shitty take (which is constantly evolving and contradicting itself from time to time) at this point is: Unless you are going somewhere indoors for a prolonged period of time without a mask (longer than 15 min), going to a gathering of any size, or directly kiss a covid carrier or touch a door knob that someone sneezed on, etc..... you either have already had it or arent gonna get it.

Everything ive heard and read over the past 2 months or so about people getting corona is stemming from gatherings (whether that be restaurants or parties) or absolute direct exposure to a covid positive person without a mask.

• Hook 'Em 2

Maybe you missed my question on DT thread. What’s been your experience in Houston as far as health care workers getting infected?

Not Houston but we just had to suspend all elective inpatient surgeries because of of an employee outbreak on that unit.

28 positive employees over the last 7 days.

The likely source of the outbreak?

Traced back to a visitor who knew they were positive and lied about it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah definitely. We cover 2 hospitals and 27 surgery centers/surgical hospitals/offices. 

I think we have had a total of maybe 10 staff members (out of the maybe 500 staff members) - excluding the hospitals - who have contracted the virus since march. I think all of them contracted it between april and early june. 

Since early june, we have not had a single staff member (that we know of) catch it. Either we’ve all already had it, or have some  immunity or cross-immunity to it from other viruses. 

My shitty take (which is constantly evolving and contradicting itself from time to time) at this point is: Unless you are going somewhere indoors for a prolonged period of time without a mask (longer than 15 min), going to a gathering of any size, or directly kiss a covid carrier or touch a door knob that someone sneezed on, etc..... you either have already had it or arent gonna get it.

Everything ive heard and read over the past 2 months or so about people getting corona is stemming from gatherings (whether that be restaurants or parties) or absolute direct exposure to a covid positive person without a mask.

15 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Not Houston but we just had to suspend all elective inpatient surgeries because of of an employee outbreak on that unit.

28 positive employees over the last 7 days.

The likely source of the outbreak?

Traced back to a visitor who knew they were positive and lied about it.

Thanks for sharing. 

On 4/28/2020 at 4:48 PM, TexLonghorn said:

For a frame of reference:

Current "official" US coronavirus deaths stands at 58,640.

That number would equal:

The total stadium capacity of Mike A Myers Stadium and Soccer Field (20,000)
PLUS the largest crowd ever in the Frank Erwin Center (17,829 for a 1978 John Denver concert)
PLUS the largest crowd ever in Disch-Falk Field (10,000 for a 1977 exhibition game vs. the Texas Rangers), 
PLUS the largest crowd ever in Gregory Gymnasium (5,072 for a 1998 game vs. Texas A&M)
PLUS the maximum capacity at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center (2,600)
PLUS the largest crowd ever at Red and Charline McCombs softball field (1,570 for a 2006 game vs Ok St),
PLUS the maximum capacity at the Texas Tennis Center (1,200)

all at the same time (58,271), with another almost 400 people starting to file into DKR...

Not even a full four months later, the total US coronavirus deaths stands at 177,426.

That number would fill every University of Texas arena and stadium listed above

PLUS the largest crowd ever at DKR Texas Memorial Stadium (103,507)
PLUS the maximum capacity at the Bass Concert Hall (2,900) (since all the sports venues would be full) 

all at the same time (164,678), and now leaving almost another 13,000 American deaths above that maximum capacity.

Oh, and one president who STILL has the same approach to countering the pandemic: that one day it will magically go away. 

https://fucktrump.art/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

Not even a full four months later, the total US coronavirus deaths stands at 177,426.

That number would fill every University of Texas arena and stadium listed above

PLUS the largest crowd ever at DKR Texas Memorial Stadium (103,507)
PLUS the maximum capacity at the Bass Concert Hall (2,900) (since all the sports venues would be full) 

all at the same time (164,678), and now leaving almost another 13,000 American deaths above that maximum capacity.

Oh, and one president who STILL has the same approach to countering the pandemic: that one day it will magically go away. 

https://fucktrump.art/

And with the undercounting shown by comparing excess deaths year over year the total is over 200k. And almost half of Americans are stupid enough to think it's acceptable

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

A&M sororities got reported by their city mayor for not socially distancing specifically after two houses were in quarantine. I guess that's an oops not a whoop.

Really though what are they expecting from college students? They're late teen and very early 20s. People of that age routinely do reckless and stupid things. Now you've got them coming together in a mass pool of pent up frustration and hormones after being more isolated in the last 5 months than they've ever been in their lives. 

Passing the leadership buck down to now where we're counting on this demographic under these circumstances to do the right thing for society is straight 21st century republican stupidity. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

It is also in an area where many of the students come from homes and communities that are still not supportive of masks, social distancing, or anything else perceived as "the government telling me what to do." Given the reputation of the school, I would hazard that you have a small portion that are very much doing the right thing because the school administration would call it selfless service or some such and that is part of a military ethos, and the majority which are not because selfless is an alien concept.

• Hook 'Em 1

@GRHorn Can't remember if it was this thread or a different one you tagged me in, but here is the relatively up-to-date state of my primary hospital. Our COVID ICU is currently half-empty, and most that are in it (at least when I was there last week) are really sick. Our med/surg floors, to my knowledge, are still fairly full. However, admin has decided to keep our COVID units still completely separate, so my trauma ICU, ED, and PACU units are all currently being utilized to handle patients that span the acuity scale. Doesn't feel great. FEMA nurses arrived like a week and a half ago. There's like a couple hundred (possibly more, I can't remember the figure the nurse I talked to last night told me) being put up at the JW Marriott downtown and other joints.

We've had quite a few nurses get COVID, including a handful of my friends, one of whom has had her lifestyle drastically altered as a result of it. I don't _think_ anyone has died. But a lot of nurses have quit. Austin RNs already get paid like trash and hazard pay has been roundly rejected, so more and more are deciding to bail. You can get a job as a nurse anywhere, for the most part. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

This dumb bitch is why I am keeping my kids out for the first 9 weeks. 

Lol exactly.  Between that and Eanes having their shit together for online, I'm good with remote this semester.  Let's get a vaccine rolled out and see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

Really though what are they expecting from college students? They're late teen and very early 20s. People of that age routinely do reckless and stupid things. Now you've got them coming together in a mass pool of pent up frustration and hormones after being more isolated in the last 5 months than they've ever been in their lives. 
Passing the leadership buck down to now where we're counting on this demographic under these circumstances to do the right thing for society is straight 21st century republican stupidity. 

You know, college students can be reckless and dumb and think they are immortal but I’m sort of getting pissed that they’re becoming scapegoats.

I’ve seen so much nonsense from Boomers and the parents of these college kids in regards to this virus - why are we being harder on these kids/young adults?

Old farts are going to Sturgis and theme parks and bars and all kinds of stuff. But the narrative is becoming “IT’S ALL GOING TO GET BAD AGAIN AND IT’S ALL BECAUSE OF THOSE DAMN KIDS!”.

Especially in red states. The actual adults and political leaders locally and much of the national leadership has set a horrible example. I don’t know why everyone expects young people to behave better than the gotdamn president.

Auburn announced yesterday that now masks are required everywhere on campus - even walking outside, before they were only required indoors and in situations that made social distancing difficult. And, oh my god, the reaction from parents was embarrassing.

No wonder the kids aren’t acting right and taking this seriously.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I still do not understand why they think this is like chicken pox.  There has not been a single study that has shown that getting it grants you immunity to it long term that I've seen. 

Because they are experts on everything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

You know, college students can be reckless and dumb and think they are immortal but I’m sort of getting pissed that they’re becoming scapegoats.

I’ve seen so much nonsense from Boomers and the parents of these college kids in regards to this virus - why are we being harder on these kids/young adults?

Old farts are going to Sturgis and theme parks and bars and all kinds of stuff. But the narrative is becoming “IT’S ALL GOING TO GET BAD AGAIN AND IT’S ALL BECAUSE OF THOSE DAMN KIDS!”.

Especially in red states. The actual adults and political leaders locally and much of the national leadership has set a horrible example. I don’t know why everyone expects young people to behave better than the gotdamn president.

Auburn announced yesterday that now masks are required everywhere on campus - even walking outside, before they were only required indoors and in situations that made social distancing difficult. And, oh my god, the reaction from parents was embarrassing.

Republicans are just fucking idiots no matter the age. For everyone else it's no secret 18-22 year olds will be on average more impulsive and reckless than older adults. Counting on them to be the face of responsibility to stay away from each other under these circumstances is just lunacy and won't happen. It's not their fault, they are too young to fully decide what's best for themselves still. They need guidance and in this case to be kept away from campus until this is under control but the republican leadership is failing them just like it's failing all of us

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

University of Alabama has announced stricter protocols and penalties because of virus spread and noncompliance from students.

4ccbe6e025c51b7e130005050a247211.jpg
7826c399e9c18c5bfa941acc63148426.jpg

And I’ll believe football games will happen for about two weeks and then be canceled.

So basically long enough for Alabama beat Missouri and atm to claim a national championship with an undefeated season.

I don't think they even make it to week 1. That's over a month away.

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Some kids are acting right and taking this seriously. They're outnumbered, however. What kids need and have always needed is role models just as you say. We have adult grifters and their motto is, as always, look out for number one.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Republicans are just fucking idiots no matter the age. For everyone else it's no secret 18-22 year olds will be on average more impulsive and reckless than older adults. Counting on them to be the face of responsibility to stay away from each other under these circumstances is just lunacy and won't happen. It's not their fault, they are too young to fully decide what's best for themselves still. They need guidance and in this case to be kept away from campus until this is under control but the republican leadership is failing them just like it's failing all of us

Yet somehow 60% of COVID deaths come from Blue states.  

• Fuck You 11

Dumb logic and conclusion. The early virus was more deadly and widespread. And hospitals weren’t as prepared to treat it. The locations at the top were all early breakouts. It has nothing to do with being democratic states. Grow up.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Dumb logic and conclusion. The early virus was more deadly and widespread. And hospitals weren’t as prepared to treat it. The locations at the top were all early breakouts. It has nothing to do with being democratic states. Grow up.

Self awareness maybe?  You saw what the reply was about.. or was that over your head lil girl?

• Fuck You 13

10 hours ago, Veerbone said:

Here's an article from a right-wing place that admits:

All but two states with the highest deaths per capita are in the top ten of states with the highest population density, and states with high coronavirus death rates are typically those with higher population density. In fact, when you look at the states ranked by population density, blue states tend to be on top, and red states tend to be on the bottom.

The correlation between population density and death rates can be observed not just in state comparisons, but at the local level as well. New York state is a great example of how the densely populated New York City area has been the hotspot for coronavirus activity, while the impact of the coronavirus on the rest of the state has been mild by comparison. More densely populated urban areas tend to be blue, while rural areas tend to be red.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2020/05/15/the-coronavirus-has-hit-blue-states-worse-than-red-states-what-does-this-mean-n392529

Additionally, those states contain or are adjacent to major ports of entry where the virus came to the US from Europe and places other than Jina.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That was several days ago so it’s likely back a bunch of pages by now. But it’s there for anyone with the time or patience to read through that garbage 

I don't doubt, I just haven't seen much of a really poltical bent in football.  There are some pollyannaish thoughts that I attribute to really wanting football to happen, but I could be wrong.

How do you know he'll be quitting?  Nobody's ever heard of him, or met him, let alone learned what his career plans are.  His whole administration is made of Joe Mayo's...

Trump:  "Whoah, whoah.  Now who's this Peter Marks that everyone's been talking about?  I never heard of him.  And frankly...the name sounds made up."  

Edited by Lobo

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Also with a pandemic it's all about response and leadership from the top. Germany/Australia/NZ/SK etc properly handling the virus wasn't because their individual territories did this or that. It's because the president/leader of the country set the tone and the rest followed. America's president actively sabotaged any positive response and now 1 in 1600 Americans died in the last 7 months.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1