CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Masks are helpful. But unless it is a respirator not for very long. Considering I’ve spent 6 days on an airplane this year I think the air circulation may have helped. Although I still came down with Covid (according to CARES) at some point but no idea when or if it was this year. 

image.thumb.png.6ba9e17c7bd28ac6a48893db799d204b.png

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/10/commentary-what-can-masks-do-part-1-science-behind-covid-19-protection

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Please do tell me more about safety standards and how powering of clinical trials works and how post marketing safety surveillance works. And then we can discuss the FDA actions to extend the read outs of the vaccine data in the proper context of a global pandemic. Stay in your lane jimmy.  

Blow me, Annie.  You're a fucking piece of work.  You literally cite an article showing how the Trump administration was trying to roll out a vaccine by election day without concern for meeting safety standards and you have the fucking audacity to criticize me?

I don't give a flying fuck what your blowhard self wants to throw at me regarding what you want people to perceive as your expertise, what we know is this:  you advocate no real information, you just float fluff disguised in convoluted verbiage in an attempt to promote yourself as an expert, yet you undermine your own efforts by linking articles like the one you just did, which in no way shows Topol was wrong.

Trump voter, heal thyself.  LMAO.

Edited by jimmyjazz
s
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Blow me, Annie.  You're a fucking piece of work.  You literally cite an article showing how the Trump administration was trying to roll out a vaccine by election day without concern for meeting safety standards and you have the fucking audacity to criticize me?

I don't give a flying fuck what your blowhard self wants to throw at me regarding what you want people to perceive as your expertise, what we know is this:  you advocate no real information, you just float fluff disguised in convoluted verbiage in an attempt to promote yourself as an expert, yet you undermine your own efforts by linking articles like the one you just did, which in no way shows Topol war wrong.

Trump voter, heal thyself.  LMAO.

There is nothing I am saying in the last few posts that was not discussed on this board contemporaneous to it all playing out. Struggle less Jimmy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There is nothing I am saying in the last few posts that was not discussed on this board contemporaneous to it all playing out. Struggle less Jimmy. 

How am I struggling?  You're the one apparently criticizing scientists for pushing back on an FDA commissioner who admittedly cowed to political pressure, and I'm the one who is struggling?

If you have the real time script that does a better job of making your "point" than that article, by all means post it, because as I see it this is just another dodge on your part when you got caught being the officious blowhard that you are.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

They cut off the March/April/May hospitalization numbers, but it should be noted, that the surge in NYC in Jan/Feb of last year was still miles better than that first surge.

Quite helpful that Cuomo wasn’t rolling the infected into nursing homes during the second surge.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not the one who posted an article that completely undermined my argument.  

LOL.  FDA delayed the read out of the interim analysis with a merry go round of negotiation on the interim analysis threshold.  That just so happened to move the read out from one side of the election to the other, after the threshold was more than exceeded.  And it had nothing to do with safety endpoints. You must be actively avoiding paying attention jimmy.   

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

LOL.  FDA delayed the read out of the interim analysis with a merry go round of negotiation on the interim analysis threshold.  That just so happened to move the read out from one side of the election to the other, after the threshold was more than exceeded.  And it had nothing to do with safety endpoints. You must be actively avoiding paying attention jimmy.   

Whose FDA was it, Annie?

Trump politicized this and it cost the dipshit re-election.

Every previous GOP President listens to the scientists, follows their recommendations and rallies the country around a common enemy, handily winning re-election. 

It takes a special combination of narcissistic, stupid and evil to fuck up that layup. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

Masks are helpful. But unless it is a respirator not for very long. Considering I’ve spent 6 days on an airplane this year I think the air circulation may have helped. Although I still came down with Covid (according to CARES) at some point but no idea when or if it was this year. 

image.thumb.png.6ba9e17c7bd28ac6a48893db799d204b.png

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/10/commentary-what-can-masks-do-part-1-science-behind-covid-19-protection

That's good paper but it looks like that the "time for infectious dose" (whatever that means) values in that chart should only be used for relative comparisons.  Here is the disclaimer:

(These numbers are just estimates based on the CDC's 15-minute contact tracing time, which has no scientific basis. And the more transmissible Delta variant (lineage B.1.617.2) may require an adjustment to a shorter contact time.)

28 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You should not huff this much glue in proximity to the Christmas tree Jimmy. You might set something on fire. 

So what you're saying is that you jumped into a discussion with your typical "both sides" bullshit, tried to back it up with an article that offers zero evidence to support your point of view, and now you're trying to weasel your way out of It.  Gotcha.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So what you're saying is that you jumped into a discussion with your typical "both sides" bullshit, tried to back it up with an article that offers zero evidence to support your point of view, and now you're trying to weasel your way out of It.  Gotcha.

The vaccine approval process has been highly politicized throughout. Initial EUA, pedi, boosters, etc. You are being obstinate in refusing to acknowledge such. It has been a matter of campaign rhetoric and political posturing on both sides. Science been riding back seat for a while now.  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

from the article:The 500 million new tests will be made available next month and will reach Americans through the mail, the official said. 

I wonder if Jen is still scoffing at this idea? This administration is such a dysfunctional shitshow

https://www.salon.com/2021/12/07/jen-psaki-slammed-after-press-secretary-dismisses-idea-of-mailing-out-free-tests-_partner/

Bad idea for Biden to tell the vaccinated that they can go ahead with their Xmas plans and not risk serious illness. There are a lot of unknowns with omicron. On the flip side, I don’t think Biden should tell everyone to stay home either.  Just like with trump, the president shouldn’t be giving health advice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Our own TB has shared the hardship she and her colleagues face, and that toll isn’t going to disappear any time soon.
I read a Reddit post by a doctor who has thrown in the towel. I surely don’t blame any who do, though I do fear what might happen if the resignations become more commonplace.
I’ll link the hellish post; it is a first hand account of this doc’s breaking point, and it wasn’t Covid or dying patients that pushed him over the edge. It was the crazy roaring throughout our country. And, though the doc doesn’t state it, the crazy sprung from TFG.
https://www.reddit.com/r/QAnonCasualties/comments/rakxun/my_career_of_treating_patients_has_ended/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

If you want to know why we have a Ledge, and why as a nation, we don’t recover from this plunge into hateful idiocy….that story is a perfect, irrefutable piece of evidence.

As a nation - and maybe as a species - we don’t survive this. Weaponized stupidity is a killer.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Quite helpful that Cuomo wasn’t rolling the infected into nursing homes during the second surge.

No disagreement here. I was never a Cuomo fan.  I think it is funny that you bring that up assuming that because he had a D behind his name, we would blindly support him like your ilk does with Trump.  

And imagine how few deaths we could have had overall as a country if Trump had not been a shithead.  See how this works?  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No disagreement here. I was never a Cuomo fan.  I think it is funny that you bring that up assuming that because he had a D behind his name, we would blindly support him like your ilk does with Trump.  

And imagine how few deaths we could have had overall as a country if Trump had not been a shithead.  See how this works?  

It's now obvious if it wasn't before that Cuomo is/was a pretty craven politician.  That's not exclusive to either party.  But I think it rather plain at this point which party is more systematically craven than the other.

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you want to know why we have a Ledge, and why as a nation, we don’t recover from this plunge into hateful idiocy….that story is a perfect, irrefutable piece of evidence.

As a nation - and maybe as a species - we don’t survive this. Weaponized stupidity is a killer.

As a country, we have always had this element in our population and contrary to what I am sure your argument will be - it has found voice in politics of their day and/or society at large. Have some perspective. Scopes Monkey Trial, Fr. Coughlin, rabid isolationists after WWI, John Birch Society - without even mentioning nastier elements like the KKK. We managed to survive and will continue.

37 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Great move with the testing. Hope that the implementation is rapid enough to help with omicron. Would have made a whole hell of a lot of sense to do before the holidays. 

Yeah, as good as the administration was on covid when it first took office, it's been about equally as bad the past few months. We can debate shit like the OSHA mandate, but there should've been a huge effort to produce and get at-home tests to people the moment the Delta variant emerged. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, as good as the administration was on covid when it first took office, it's been about equally as bad the past few months. We can debate shit like the OSHA mandate, but there should've been a huge effort to produce and get at-home tests to people the moment the Delta variant emerged. 

Psaki's take on home testing a couple weeks back or whenever was cringe worthy.  

We should have had a testing plan like this in place in like May 2020, but Jan 2022 is better than never I guess. 

55 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Agree. They're trying to do something since Omnicron was announced, but it should have been done way before, like this past summer. 

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

These at-home tests have a spotty record in detecting Omicron so mass distribution may have limited value.  Money should be spent in increasing PCR testing availability.

And I'm not critical of the at-home tests. They're fighting a battle to keep up with an ever-changing virus. 

I read that the Abbott tests were still effective with omicron.  Have not seen anything on the QuickVue tests which were the only ones that I could find when I was out yesterday picking a grip up. 

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dumb question amnesty:  are the at-home tests purely so people can find out if they have it and then stay home instead of going out into public unawares?  I only ask because I've taken exactly one covid test ever.

Not a dumb question and in my experience they don’t stay home. More testing is great but it’s not going to solve anything.

y’all people, not directed at you, are going to ruin my winter travel plans. This is beyond ridiculous 

• Rage+1 2

I run tests on all the kids if they have symptoms. Youngest popped a couple fevers, had a run with pneumonia.  Running the antigen tests as a quick screen is helpful in triaging and helps when determining how to handle with the pediatrician when you can tell them that you already ran a COVID test and came back negative. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I run tests on all the kids if they have symptoms. Youngest popped a couple fevers, had a run with pneumonia.  Running the antigen tests as a quick screen is helpful in triaging and helps when determining how to handle with the pediatrician when you can tell them that you already ran a COVID test and came back negative. 

That's what we've used them for.  Kid has cold symptoms, give them a test, send to school with a clear conscience.

I've sweated those tests out at 7am a number of mornings, thinking "damn, I'm not prepared to be locked down for two weeks."  Once you get a clear test, it's like a get out of jail free card for a couple of weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I’ve got pretty bad allergies and this time of year I’m pretty sure I would need to do a home test every day. I had my annual physical last week at the doctor. I sneezed twice (with my mask on) while I was there so they made me do a Covid test. It was negative. I’m congested as shit right now as I type this. Should I test again? 500 million tests sounds great but I’m gonna need 100 just for me. Thank god I’m (hopefully able to) leave the country next month.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

These at-home tests have a spotty record in detecting Omicron so mass distribution may have limited value.  Money should be spent in increasing PCR testing availability.

And I'm not critical of the at-home tests. They're fighting a battle to keep up with an ever-changing virus. 

It depends on the type of at home test.  They could distribute PCR tests.  In NJ, you can request an at home PCR spit test from the state, and they overnight it to you, and you overnight it back to the lab.  But if you're talking about stuff like the Binax tests, who knows how reliable it is and not sure those are worthwhile.

59 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I’ve got pretty bad allergies and this time of year I’m pretty sure I would need to do a home test every day. I had my annual physical last week at the doctor. I sneezed twice (with my mask on) while I was there so they made me do a Covid test. It was negative. I’m congested as shit right now as I type this. Should I test again? 500 million tests sounds great but I’m gonna need 100 just for me. Thank god I’m (hopefully able to) leave the country next month.

Yes, you should test.