CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Just now, staboner said:

here comes the election, or not. some gentle talking for a month or two to normalise it then wham. its coming. 

kushner? what is his job again? 

goddamn soap opera. 

Yep. Rat face and the orange fatass can wax all day long about it. The election will happen and then fatass will be voted out. The only suspense is who is gonna get arrested the day after the inauguration. 

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

"The device includes a small cylinder combined with a piston that is activated by someone striking it with their hands. The action quickly converts mechanical energy into thermal energy and ignites a piece of tinder to help start a fire."

it was my understanding we didn't start the fire.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again. This will not get better until Trump is no longer the president. Doesn’t matter whether that’s tomorrow or January. But this problem will not get better until Trump is no longer the president. 

Sadly, it won't.

He won't shut up.  He has Twitter, a network laying in wait, surrogates in the GOP willing to broadcast his message, followers galore who openly cry at his image and hock the family heirlooms for whatever shit he wants to sell.   He will summon them to not believe what is true, to only listen to his words and to his chosen flock.  

Oh, he won't be President, but he will continue to live his life as he does today.  And that alone will guarantee that society will be shit.

Things might get better once Trump passes.  Might.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Sadly, it won't.

He won't shut up.  He has Twitter, a network laying in wait, surrogates in the GOP willing to broadcast his message, followers galore who openly cry at his image and hock the family heirlooms for whatever shit he wants to sell.   He will summon them to not believe what is true, to only listen to his words and to his chosen flock.  

Oh, he won't be President, but he will continue to live his life as he does today.  And that alone will guarantee that society will be shit.

Things might get better once Trump passes.  Might.

Twitter will ban him once he’s no longer in office,

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"The device includes a small cylinder combined with a piston that is activated by someone striking it with their hands. The action quickly converts mechanical energy into thermal energy and ignites a piece of tinder to help start a fire."

it was my understanding we didn't start the fire.

I'm a fan of the Grady Rylander clan.  He was the department chair when I was in grad school at UT, and founded CEM, where I did my research and subsequently worked for years. 

But . . . well, that seems to be a long way away from practicality.  2000 sf in 5 hours is not gonna clean the Erwin Center and help all 867 fans.  Let's not even get into the increased HVAC requirement to deal with the generated heat.

2 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

You can be sure they won't stand up and take responsibility.  They're  just going to give us the run around.

If a tree falls in a forrest...I've got nothing. 

Yep. Rat face and the orange fatass can wax all day long about it. The election will happen and then fatass will be voted out. The only suspense is who is gonna get arrested the day after the inauguration. 

It’s cute that you actually believe that

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This means that a lot of Republicans are somehow able to trust Trump and Dr. Fauci simultaneously as they're saying polar opposite things.

Or they're just not listening to either one very much, but they have opinions they'd like to share anyway.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This means that a lot of Republicans are somehow able to trust Trump and Dr. Fauci simultaneously as they're saying polar opposite things.

Or they're just not listening to either one very much, but they have opinions they'd like to share anyway.

Schrodinger's COVID

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Neither Fauci nor the mayor of LA said what he is claiming they said. This is textbook straw manning. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ah.  The "binary" choice paradigm @henrygandorf hinted at.  Yes, we have two options:  the wild west or complete shutdown.  Yeesh.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-updates-we-ll-never-be-completely-open-until-we-have-a-cure/ar-BB1417r1

The creator of Barstool Sports can express his opinion, although I agree with what  @Grandioso says regarding Fauci's testimony. However, I am not certain why I should consider Portnoy's opinion to have any greater weight than that of any other internet blogger who mainly concerns himself with sports? I get it, his entire livelihood is shut down right now. No sports and all this man can do is review pizzas and that isn't very fulfilling. But I agree with those who say it does not have to be on/off like a light switch. And guess what, that is what Fauci has said from the beginning. It really should not be a light switch. That was in the podcast that was posted on here (sorry, credit to whomever posted that link) wherein Fauci was interviewed for the Wall Street Journal.

A gradual methodical lifting of restrictions so that the curve does stay flattened and we continue to stockpile PPE and other things necessary for the duration. It also allows people to grow accustomed to the somewhat new social mores of how to social distance while going out and about a little more so that we don't end up back at square one.

Edit to add--I also would like to see the restrictions lifted slowly, because if we (the public) can get the hang of going out without completely disregarding the practical guidelines, communities that have kept their curve flattened ought to be able to open their schools in August. That would help many working parents and parents who may be able to recover their job.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
addition
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

There must be something wrong with my phone.  I got an Amber Alert earlier, but why didn’t I get an emergency alert about the Barstool Sports guy’s “emergency press conference” / vlog from his living room about his feelings?

Like it or not, his opinion is more influential and representative than 95% of the people whose tweets are linked here. And I say that as someone outside his core demographic. I’m too old. 

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Wow. So I went to Obama's page where this is tweeted and read the comments. Whoooo boy. Some were positive and some were....less so. One tweeter's gif caught my eye. 'She' posted a pic of a noose. I say 'she' because she could be a bot, there's no real or fake pic for her avatar, just a cartoon. Bot or not, hard to imagine people out there with so much hatred.

Anyway, I was strolling through the tweets, mostly retweets (which was why I was leaning towards bot) when another tweet caught my eye. The 'Q' crowd has apparently drawn Pence into the whole Obamagate conspiracy and are posting various events that purportedly tie him to the nefarious plot against Trump. I found that interesting. I knew some Republicans were fond of Haley and think she should be on the ticket, but I didn't realize there was quite this much activity against Pence.

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’d like a blowjob from Christy Turlington. Seems as likely. 

I’m sure she still sucks a good dick, and I certainly appreciate the reference, but you might want to go with someone a little more current, like, say, Margot Robbie.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

RE: Richard Burr selling stocks:

Feds serving a warrant on the phone of a US Senator?  If it’s anything like the warrant served on POTUS’ personal attorney, they’ve already got serious shit on him.

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Feds serving a warrant on the phone of a US Senator?  If it’s anything like the warrant served on POTUS’ personal attorney, they’ve already got serious shit on him.

I don’t feel good about this Burr news at all.  He runs the Senate Intelligence Committee.  

Chances he will be brought to justice in this administration: 0

56 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Like it or not, his opinion is more influential and representative than 95% of the people whose tweets are linked here. And I say that as someone outside his core demographic. I’m too old. 

Okay, so you believe his opinion is representative. Since he is starting from statements that are misleading, though, how many people are under the same misguided impression that he has? California, specifically Los Angeles county,  has extended their safer at home guideline through July (?) I believe. ( @henrygandorf would probably know more as I haven't talked to my oldest yet this week). That doesn't mean that everything there is closed, though and parts of the state are opening up completely. Here in Texas, I've been able to return to the doctor to take care of nonessential preventative care and hopefully others will be able to have procedures that were postponed. Little by little, step by step.

But Dave is misconstruing their words. It isn't that communities will stay shut until there is a cure. Even Fauci said that a 'cure' probably won't be possible, that the virus will always be here in some form or another. It is that communities will never be fully open until there is a vaccine. And in some ways, that is true. If there is a serious outbreak in your community, do you want to be attending the twenty-third annual Hot Dish Supper hosted by the Altar Guild with two hundred and thirty other eaters in the church basement? Perhaps not and you will avoid it and stay home.  And that is in some small way, the point the health officials are trying to make. It is easy to make them the scapegoats, to blame them for all the anger and frustration that this pandemic has caused. The sad politicization of it has made them easy targets as they are restricting the autonomy that most of us take for granted. 

Does anyone remember the poor lost souls on Bolivar that refused to leave during the hurricane? They had several days of officials urging them to evacuate. We have had several months. It seems like an eternity. The death toll from the peninsula ended up being around 50 or so, I believe. We've lost over 80,000 Americans. Two million is not something for which we should strive.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Garcetti added. "So quite frankly, there's no so-called open state or open country that doesn't continue to have health orders telling us to cover our faces, physically distance and to tell people that you're safest working from and staying at home. That's all that the county health director was saying, and we can't expect that to disappear in a matter of weeks or even a few months."

17 minutes ago, tchookem said:
1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:
I’m sure she still sucks a good dick, and I certainly appreciate the reference, but you might want to go with someone a little more current, like, say, Margot Robbie.

Don't pay this man his mah-ney

Just saying, that movie is 20+ years old, and if I’m going to have a fantasy blowjob, I’m updating the personnel involved.