CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Was he diabetic or something?  Since when does Covid destroy limbs?

Covid may cause blood clots. Blood clots can make you lose a limb. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-south-florida-doctors-report-coronavirus-amputation-20200815-zt4b7heizbcbroauxuzvm4pnhu-story.html

Pretty sure that Broadway actor that eventually died lost a leg before finally dying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Covid may cause blood clots. Blood clots can make you lose a limb. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-south-florida-doctors-report-coronavirus-amputation-20200815-zt4b7heizbcbroauxuzvm4pnhu-story.html

Pretty sure that Broadway actor that eventually died lost a leg before finally dying. 

themoreyouknow.gif

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We’re not going to be able to eradicate the virus given the animal reservoirs. Let’s just hope it doesn’t mutate once we apply vaccine pressure. Cause that would be a nice parting shot to close 2020. 

We're still in the early stages. It's gonna mutate. That's damn near a given. If we're lucky it's less lethal. Gotta protect that host. It came from bats. If that's even correct. We're looking at a long task. Would have been cool if we had started about a year ago. I have no delusions that we're going to eradicate it any time soon. 

It is already mutating it seems. 

A NEW Covid strain which may spread even quicker is ripping through the South - as Matt Hancock last night plunged 11million more Brits into Tier 3.

The Health Secretary told MPs more than 1,000 cases of the new "variant" has been discovered in up to 60 places across the UK - and the World Health Organisation has been informed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13474181/new-coronavirus-strain-spreading-hancock/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

It is already mutating it seems. 

A NEW Covid strain which may spread even quicker is ripping through the South - as Matt Hancock last night plunged 11million more Brits into Tier 3.

The Health Secretary told MPs more than 1,000 cases of the new "variant" has been discovered in up to 60 places across the UK - and the World Health Organisation has been informed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13474181/new-coronavirus-strain-spreading-hancock/

image.gif.0eb689769a44ab1053156b6de28a501c.gif

The US is currently projected to top 500k confirmed deaths from Covid 19 and 600k if people ease off current restrictions. On the other hand, if everyone would wear masks and social distance that number would be 450k, saving 150k American lives...

Covid stats.jpg

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The US is currently projected to top 500k confirmed deaths from Covid 19 and 600k if people ease off current restrictions. On the other hand, if everyone would wear masks and social distance that number would be 450k, saving 150k American lives...

Covid stats.jpg

Where is the link for that graph?

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Fuck that guy. Take that gofundme and give that money to a covid patient who didn't have a choice about exposing themselves to a pandemic.

22 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Just a flesh wound

He wasn't a political appointee.  He is Director of WH security.  I feel terribly for the WH staff, security, cleaning staff, etc., who were exposed by these fucksticks.

Although reading the article, this particular official is a big trump supporter....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, lemonlime said:

He wasn't a political appointee.  He is Director of WH security.  I feel terribly for the WH staff, security, cleaning staff, etc., who were exposed by these fucksticks.

Although reading the article, this particular official is a big trump supporter....

oh well, FAFO

Edited by DigglerontheHoof

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Hasn't that been obvious since April?

This is correct. While many states have taken measures to limit spread, the federal response has been to advocate for opening everything up, and we'll develop a vaccine on the back end. more people will die, but it is what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

“I’m a teacher, I have fourteen students. If I’m willing to risk it, why aren’t you?” Another said everyone was going to get COVID eventually, so what was the big deal?

“What if my children die?” The bridesmaid responded, “I understand, but this is her wedding day.”

These quotes are choice. 

• Rage+1 3

Well shit.

NY Times

Alaska Health Worker Had a Serious Allergic Reaction After Pfizer’s Vaccine

It’s unclear whether the person had a history of severe allergies. Two similar reactions happened last week in Britain.

By Noah Weiland, Sharon LaFraniere and Katie Thomas

Dec. 16, 2020, 12:20 p.m. ET
WASHINGTON — A health worker in Alaska had a serious allergic reaction after getting Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine on Tuesday and was hospitalized, according to three people familiar with official reports of the person’s health. The person is in stable condition.

Government officials were scrambling on Wednesday to learn more about the case. It was not immediately clear if the worker had a history of allergies, which makes it difficult to assess the broader significance of the incident as millions of Americans are vaccinated over the coming weeks. The reaction was believed to be similar to the anaphylactic reactions two health workers in Britain experienced after receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine last week. Both of them recovered.

The company’s trial in the United States involving more than 40,000 people did not find any serious adverse events caused by the vaccine, although many participants did experience aches, fevers and other side effects. Severe allergic reactions to vaccines are typically linked to the vaccine because of their timing.

A Pfizer representative did not immediately comment on the case.

After the workers in Britain fell ill, British authorities initially warned against giving the vaccines to anyone with a history of severe allergic reactions, but then clarified their concerns, changing the wording from “severe allergic reactions” to specify that the vaccine should not be given to anyone who has ever had an anaphylactic reaction to a food, medicine or vaccine. That type of reaction to a vaccine is “very rare,” they said.

Pfizer officials have said the two British people who had the reaction had a history of severe allergies. One, a 49-year-old woman, had a history of egg allergies. The other, a 40-year-old woman, had a history of allergies to several different medications. Both carried EpiPen-like devices to inject themselves with epinephrine in case of such a reaction.

Pfizer has said that its vaccine does not contain egg ingredients.

The British update also said that a third patient had a “possible allergic reaction,” but did not describe it.

In the United States, federal regulators issued a broad authorization for the vaccine on Friday to adults 16 years and older. Health care providers were warned not to give the vaccine to anyone with a “known history of a severe allergic reaction” to any component of the vaccine, which they said was a standard warning for vaccines.

But because of the British cases, F.D.A. officials have said they would require Pfizer to increase its monitoring for anaphylaxis and submit data on it once the vaccine comes into use. Pfizer also said that the vaccine is recommended to be administered in settings that have access to equipment to manage anaphylaxis. Last weekend, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that people with serious allergies can be safely vaccinated, with close monitoring for 30 minutes after receiving the shot.

Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening, with impaired breathing and drops in blood pressure that usually occur within minutes or even seconds after exposure to a food or medicine, or even a substance like latex to which the person is allergic.

Edited by DDD Dad

It would be nice if they would narrow it down from "food, medicine or vaccine".  I have several severe food allergies (mostly nuts and seafood), but have never had an issue with vaccines.  I did have a reaction to a 2nd round of an antibiotic, which my doc said can happen.

If they don't clarify what compounds in the vaccine we should worry about, I guess I'll just strap up with an epi-pen and take the chance.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It would be nice if they would narrow it down from "food, medicine or vaccine".  I have several severe food allergies (mostly nuts and seafood), but have never had an issue with vaccines.  I did have a reaction to a 2nd round of an antibiotic, which my doc said can happen.

If they don't clarify what compounds in the vaccine we should worry about, I guess I'll just strap up with an epi-pen and take the chance.

I don't have many food or drug allergies, but I don't think I'm just gonna wander into my neighborhood Walgreens for this.  Will want it done somewhere they can treat anaphylaxis on site and will probably stick around for at least a half hour to be safe.

• Hook 'Em 3

Once the vaccine is generally available, employers will mandate vaccination as terms of continued employment (yes, it's legal). The same will happen at colleges, schools, and airlines, concerts.  The Jenny McCarthy crowd and Trumpers will have a choice to make. They have freedom not to take the vaccine, but businesses have the freedom to deny service to anyone that may endanger their business. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Any front line workers want to comment on this?

24 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this is never going away, is it?

hoping hospitals will step in and say if you don't take the vaccine, you don't have a fucking job. who the fuck are these people????

I was thinking about this yesterday and am glad I live in Travis County where I'm betting vaccine usage will be 80+%.  I'm betting Travis is able to open up before a lot of Texas.

29 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Any front line workers want to comment on this?

I'm not a front line worker.  And that's terrifying if true.  But this is the same doc who claimed to work 268 days straight.  I'm not sure how credible a source he is.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/12/12/joseph-varon-covid/