CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Prick your finger.  Is that drop of blood "human"?  It's genetically human.  It has function.  Among other things, it carries oxygen to your organs.

Is there a difference between blood cells and sperm cells?  Hell, at least all (or most) of our blood cells do some good.  Half a trillion sperm cells are utterly wasted by the average male over his lifetime.

I can see some of us like orgasms way more than you do.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Are the required others much more harmful than the the politicized one to kids? Flu shots aren’t required and that’s deadlier to kids.

The vaccines aren't harmful to kids. Some of the diseases are more harmful to kids than flu, some are less harmful. The primary factor is effectiveness of the vaccines. The flu vaccine isn't very effective and changes every year. It would create an administrative nightmare to enforce flu vaccinations for school. People should still get it, but mandating it isn't as critical or effective at reducing disease.  So far, the evidence is that the Covid-19 vaccines are more like the other types of vaccinations schools already require in terms of effectiveness.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If it’s not genetically human then what is it? If it’s not alive then what is it?

Could my dead sperm be used to sire, say, a cactus? Or a longhorn steer? Genetically it’s human and if it wasn’t alive it couldn’t swim its way to fertilize a human egg cell and produce a human offspring which the mother would have every right to terminate while it was still a microscopic speck of goo.

Edit: Or something after six weeks the size of your thumbnail that more closely resembles a shrimp than a human being. 

We have planes that land themselves. Cars that drive themselves. Computer that can write poetry and music. And this:

I'm quite confident none of those things are alive. 

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Whether or not both cells have DNA, it still seems absurd to try to assign some sort of humanity to either.  I'm pretty sure you agree, don't you?

I believe I said upthread a sperm is not human. That’s what started this silly exchange 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m still waiting for you to answer these questions:

If it’s not genetically human then what is it? If it’s not alive then what is it?

You go first. 

You would know the answers if you had a 10th grade level understanding of biology 

• Haha 1

I thought this was a joke conversation. I mean, intentionally one. 

What human quality does a sperm exhibit that an amoeba doesn't?

If you make your argument that sperm cells are human, then they should be endowed with human rights.

I think I'll go to law school so I can get into the class action civil rights lawsuit made in the name of all of that spilled seed.

This is just about perfect for a Friday.

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

More relevant to the thread....is a virus a living organism?

Maybe not innocent, whether dead or undead…

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

IIRC that depends upon who you ask. Historically I don't believe it was considered thusly but hasn't the thinking or classification on that changed some?

Mark me it's a living organism.  But you are right that there is lots of room to debate.  And at least that discussion is much more interesting than watching WhatTheBuck faceplant his understanding of the genetics of sexual reproduction.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Mark me it's a living organism.  But you are right that there is lots of room to debate.  And at least that discussion is much more interesting than watching WhatTheBuck faceplant his understanding of the genetics of sexual reproduction.  

It is incapable of replicating on its own was the explanation I was given by a biologist. YMMV.

But for now, let's go back to COVID or start another thread.....I can't follow eight different conversations in one thread unless it's about football.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The ability to carry out independent biochemical processes should be the metric by which we classify biological entities as living or not,. Viruses are unable to perform any metabolic process, let alone replicate, in the absence of the host cell's biochemical machinery. Therefore, IMO they are not alive.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Pretty much the norm for extremist groups in that initial radicalization requires numbers so they aren't as fussy until they gain momentum and power. Then things begin to distill a little bit. One starts rooting out 'impure' members through whatever rules are enacted. In a general sense, it's all over history. America has gone back and forth with in groups and out groups in that regard. (Italians were not considered 'white' and so on.)

OK, I'm done there, this part of the discussion is a large derail and should return to the extremist thread.

I'm Sicilian. A little factoid the largest lynching in American history was against Sicilian immigrants in Louisiana. Also had a homeless looking man aggressively call me a Jew & said "Mazel Tov" to me the other day while I was getting gas. Reminded me of this:

• Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Or collectively just stop all of the regulations, bribes and guidances because vaccines are available to every adult in every state and move the fuck on.

Was that in response to my post? Because it has nothing to do with what I said.

30 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I thought your username suggested you were a doctor. Now I’ve come to realize it just means you’re a butcher. 

I’ve definitely been a jerk to you today and for that I’m sorry 

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I thought this was a joke conversation. I mean, intentionally one. 

What human quality does a sperm exhibit that an amoeba doesn't?

I think they are discussing the Magic of God's Zipper, or something like that. 

And Gentleman @Sawbonz and Gentleperson @Anastasis-- Other than the Void, my God is always with us. Evil resides where God doesn't.

So why the focus on the original "god seed"?  Are Texas houses of worship teaching that doctrine? Serious question. That's mixing religions.

Edited by washparkhorn

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

So why the focus on the original "god seed"?  Are Texas houses of worship teaching that doctrine? Serious question. That's mixing religions.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  But if you want to see what the Texas houses of worship I frequent teach, I would invite you to come and see. Wear comfortable shoes, and well do lunch afterwards. I'll take care of the gratuity. Most of the shit that I read on this board about what people think we are immersing our self in on Sunday just doesn't resonate with me.  I am not rejecting the notion that's it out there and prevalent.  Just different universes.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I know what I see out here in Southern California, but these are Southern Californians who have fallen for all sorts of charlatans. They don't get as worked up. 

The seed of god stuff is premised on dna. 

(The golden zipper reference was intended as humor; it may be too soon).

Edited by washparkhorn

21 hours ago, Captainant said:

I for one am happy that there's one less racist neonazi in the law enforcement community. From the right wing violence thread:

Not the right thread to complain about this, but it sure bummed me out when trying to explore Norse mythology I found that so much of it has been co-opted by white supremacists. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This frickin’ guy:

Conservative Pastor Rick Wiles apparently fell ill with COVID-19 after condemning the disease-fighting vaccines, baselessly claiming they are being used to perpetrate a “global genocide.”
Wiles – the founder of the TruNews website promoting the plot and the senior pastor of Flowing Streams Church in Florida – claimed on that show in late April that he would not get the COVID-19 vaccine and would survive the “global genocide” .

“I am not going to be vaccinated,” he said. “I’m going to be one of the survivors. I will survive the genocide.

He added, “You and I are witnessing the world’s first mass murder and it is being led by Satan’s team on the planet. You have to survive it. Do not get vaccinated. “

Then this week, TruNews, in a post on its official Gab account, noted that there was an outbreak of COVID-19 at Wiles Church and asked for prayers.

“Flowing Streams is experiencing a sudden cluster of influenza and Covid among some employees and their loved ones. Rick Wiles made the decision tonight to close the offices and studios until a date to be determined next week, ”Gab’s post explained. “Our team has to take care of sick family members. Please pray for your TruNews team. “

On Saturday, TruNews published a follow-up article, urging its supporters to pray specifically for Wiles. “URGENT REQUEST – please pray for Rick Wiles right now,” the organization wrote. “Please repost so that there is an army of people praying. “

A Saturday email to Wiles supporters was sent by Flowing Streams vice president Raymond Burkhart. In that post, Burkhart said Wiles was taken to hospital.

“Rick really needs your continued prayers. Today he was taken to the emergency room and, on medical advice, was admitted to hospital. He is currently on oxygen and should stay there for several days, ”he wrote.

In a previous note from Friday to supporters first reported by RightWingWatch, Wiles’ organization asked for a prayer and said the pastor was “very weak.” He explained that Wiles’ fever had subsided and that he had no “breathing problems”. But he said there were concerns about the fatigue he continued to feel. The letter included a prayer for the supporters to repeat

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2021/05/pastor-rick-wiles-apparently-has-covid-after-refusing-vaccines-he-called-global-genocide.html

Just curious...a woman can say "My body, my choice" and yet that choice leads to a death of human life but a person can't say whether they want to take a vaccine or not?

Well, according to Texas‘s most recent round of abortion legislation, no.

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

This frickin’ guy:

Conservative Pastor Rick Wiles apparently fell ill with COVID-19 after condemning the disease-fighting vaccines, baselessly claiming they are being used to perpetrate a “global genocide.”
Wiles – the founder of the TruNews website promoting the plot and the senior pastor of Flowing Streams Church in Florida – claimed on that show in late April that he would not get the COVID-19 vaccine and would survive the “global genocide” .

“I am not going to be vaccinated,” he said. “I’m going to be one of the survivors. I will survive the genocide.

He added, “You and I are witnessing the world’s first mass murder and it is being led by Satan’s team on the planet. You have to survive it. Do not get vaccinated. “

Then this week, TruNews, in a post on its official Gab account, noted that there was an outbreak of COVID-19 at Wiles Church and asked for prayers.

“Flowing Streams is experiencing a sudden cluster of influenza and Covid among some employees and their loved ones. Rick Wiles made the decision tonight to close the offices and studios until a date to be determined next week, ”Gab’s post explained. “Our team has to take care of sick family members. Please pray for your TruNews team. “

On Saturday, TruNews published a follow-up article, urging its supporters to pray specifically for Wiles. “URGENT REQUEST – please pray for Rick Wiles right now,” the organization wrote. “Please repost so that there is an army of people praying. “

A Saturday email to Wiles supporters was sent by Flowing Streams vice president Raymond Burkhart. In that post, Burkhart said Wiles was taken to hospital.

“Rick really needs your continued prayers. Today he was taken to the emergency room and, on medical advice, was admitted to hospital. He is currently on oxygen and should stay there for several days, ”he wrote.

In a previous note from Friday to supporters first reported by RightWingWatch, Wiles’ organization asked for a prayer and said the pastor was “very weak.” He explained that Wiles’ fever had subsided and that he had no “breathing problems”. But he said there were concerns about the fatigue he continued to feel. The letter included a prayer for the supporters to repeat

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2021/05/pastor-rick-wiles-apparently-has-covid-after-refusing-vaccines-he-called-global-genocide.html

this on the heels of that right-wing health "guru" hell beast dying in a helicopter (or was it plane?) crash I'd say god is having itself quite a week.

So I don’t wear my mask when a business states it is allowed if you are fully vaccinated since I am fully vaccinated. The return to normalcy is great. The cons of not wearing a mask. My wife and I caught a stomach bug and had a fun night of vomiting and diarrhea. I’m going to miss the full year of clean health. 

Guest Lobo

They're changing up some acronyms which obviously means they've been lying this whole time and scientists cannot be trusted?  The only way to defeat these variants is to build a wall and arm ourselves.