CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

23 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's stupid.  LA County is has a  7 day trend line of 11 cases per 100,000.  Arkansas is at 34.

Over the weeklong period ending Monday, the county reported an average of 910 new cases per day — a nearly 250% increase from two weeks ago, according to data compiled by The Times.

The county Department of Public Health reported 1,044 coronavirus cases on Friday followed by 1,069 more on Saturday and an additional 1,113 Sunday, On Monday, there were 1,059 new cases.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Over the weeklong period ending Monday, the county reported an average of 910 new cases per day — a nearly 250% increase from two weeks ago, according to data compiled by The Times.

The county Department of Public Health reported 1,044 coronavirus cases on Friday followed by 1,069 more on Saturday and an additional 1,113 Sunday, On Monday, there were 1,059 new cases.

That's out of 10 million people.  They also have a high vax rate.

47 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We were in California a week ago and a lot of people were still wearing masks inside; I'd rather wear a mask and still be able to go somewhere than to have everything shut down completely. We went to several museums and other attractions and wore masks indoors. We never saw anyone make a fuss anywhere which was nice.

I'm in San Diego & I don't see alot of masks at stores & basically zero at the beach, farmers market, bars, etc. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, lmao said:

I'm in San Diego & I don't see alot of masks at stores & basically zero at the beach, farmers market, bars, etc. 

In LA, there are still a pretty decent amount of masks in stores and public buildings. In the courthouse, they're still mandatory.

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I feel personally attacked.

He got it a few days ago.  Even with the Delta variant out there and knowledge that the mRNA vaccines offer more protection.  And he lives with my folks who ALSO got the J&J.  Though they have reached out to their Doctor who said he is monitoring and will let them know if they need to get a booster.

3 hours ago, lmao said:

I wish we could demand this.  I think more people would get vaccinated if they had to show proof of vaccine to get in a bar or a restaurant.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I really think we are at the point where we are going to just have a lot of people die.  I don't see any other way.  We can't mandate vaccines.

No Western Country can mandate it.  But your company can as a condition of employement.  Schools can if you want to enroll and attend classes.  We can make it so that a vast majority ARE required to get it.  It just requires some courage to do it.  How many people would fucking get it if their ability to make a living was threatened?  

We absolutely should take away people's ability to have any fun if they choose not to get vaccinated.  Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

He got it a few days ago.  Even with the Delta variant out there and knowledge that the mRNA vaccines offer more protection.  And he lives with my folks who ALSO got the J&J.  Though they have reached out to their Doctor who said he is monitoring and will let them know if they need to get a booster.

This vaccine elitism will not stand, maaaan.  ;)

Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine offers strong protection against the delta variant of the coronavirus, the company said Thursday. And the protection appears to last at least eight months.

The results follow similar announcements about the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in the fight against the fast-spreading delta strain.

In one small laboratory study, researchers observed what happened to the blood of eight vaccinated individuals when it was exposed to the delta variant. And they found that antibodies and immune system cells in the blood were highly effective at neutralizing the virus.

A second study involving 20 patients at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston showed similar results.

Johnson & Johnson also noted the vaccine continued to be effective over the eight months it was studied in recipients. Dr. Mathai Mammen, the company's global head of research and development, said the vaccine elicits a "strong neutralizing antibody response that does not wane; rather, we observe an improvement over time."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/07/01/1012372893/johnson-johnsons-covid-vaccine-is-effective-against-the-delta-variant-studies-fi

Seriously, congratulations to you.  He may have had to be pushed, but its good news.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’m actually annoyed that I have this card burning a hole in my wallet and not one damn place has asked to see it. 

We have the Excelsior Pass.  I have shown it at both Foo Fighters and Bruce Springsteen.  I had to show it at a bar on the edge of Bushwick and Ridgewood.  I might have to show it on Saturday to get into Frenchette.  Other than that, nope.  Have to have it to get into Switzerland and Italy though, so there is that.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No Western Country can mandate it.  But your company can as a condition of employement.  Schools can if you want to enroll and attend classes.  We can make it so that a vast majority ARE required to get it.  It just requires some courage to do it.  How many people would fucking get it if their ability to make a living was threatened?  

We absolutely should take away people's ability to have any fun if they choose not to get vaccinated.  Fuck them.

If you had any amount of government authority/power it would be terrifying. 

• Fuck You 4

17 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Lol, the world must seem really scary to you

This is how “conservatives” function. I’m serious. Having watched all of the ones I know in my life, their immediate reaction to any situation is, “how could this possibly hurt me, no matter the facts or how inconceivable?  What is the worst possible outcome? That is how I will make my choice.”

I’m serious. This is why we are where we are. People whose first reaction to every situation is fear. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
Also, these people all think their lives are more important than they are. Perhaps one might call them snowflakes.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’m actually annoyed that I have this card burning a hole in my wallet and not one damn place has asked to see it. 

I carry mine with me everywhere I go. I still carry hand sanitizer and keep a mask in my car just in case. I haven’t gotten to the point of asking masked people if they’ve started their vaccinations yet but I’m getting close. Mine were fast, easy, painless, and I suffered no adverse effects of any kind. I sort of feel like maybe I should start whipping out my card and waving it around and asking others to do the same.

5 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

right wing assholes exist everywhere. news at 10.

While I'm not always a fan of lmao's commentary, MorganFreeman.gif. 

5 hours ago, lmao said:

That isn't necessarily a 'right wing' position but ok.

Having lived in France and still also having a few friends there, they have a very libertarian (and libertine) streak when it comes to personal freedoms. Here's an article from Roger Cohen, whose commentary on France always feels pretty spot on from my experience. Those Frenchies are a lot more American than Americans (or Frenchies) like to admit and their independent streak is, I think, at the root of why we like to give them shit and bicker with them so much. We each remind ourselves too much of ourselves.

It's also why the English with all their social class obsessions have historically had a strained relationship with France, which is weird, because the English seem to envy our lack of enforced social classes. So, right now, it's kind of funny to see Boris fuckin' Johnson proclaiming FREEEEEDUMZZZ!!! while Macron is just like "greaux ze phoque op."

Macron to the French: Vaccinate or Else
Reversing himself, the president gambles that the birthplace of individual liberties will accept coercion from the top down.

PARIS — Emmanuel Macron the risk-taker is back. Never having won an election of any kind, he embarked on a wild political gamble in 2016 and a year later, at 39, became the French president. Now, with nine months until the next election, this leader who has had no qualms about concentrating power has decided to try to coerce a people steeped in the values of liberty into getting vaccinated against the coronavirus.

Responding to a surge in cases of the highly infectious Delta variant, Mr. Macron, in an address to the nation Monday, stopped just short of imposing universal mandatory vaccinations, but he made clear that the lives of unvaccinated French people would quickly become miserable, potentially restricting their travel and even their ability to sit for a coffee or dine outside their homes with friends.

He wielded a big stick, personalizing power in a way that has in the past led to criticism of him as a Jupiter-like figure.

If there is always a tension in France between its Jacobin, state-directed instincts and its Enlightenment embodiment of the freedom of the individual, this was a case of the president laying down the law and telling citizens to get in line or else.

“If you want to be free and responsible, you vaccinate — your choice and your consequences,” said Jacques Rupnik, a political scientist. “That was the president’s message. The risk, however, is of a dual, or two-speed, society.”

That risk was put most bluntly by Michèle Rivasi, a Green member of the European Parliament with a history of vaccination skepticism, who declared, “This is apartheid in the land of human rights.”

The more than 2.2 million people who signed up to get vaccinated in the 48 hours since Mr. Macron spoke appeared not to agree with Ms. Rivasi. Their haste suggested that all the French needed to get the vaccine was a powerful prod of a kind not seen up to now.

Certainly, such presidential conviction was nowhere to be seen back in April when Mr. Macron declared that a health pass “will never be a right of entry that differentiates between French people.” His health minister, Olivier Véran, noted at the same time that France has “a passion for equality” and that it was “almost inconceivable that when places reopen, they will not reopen to everyone.”

The Delta variant buried such commitments and predictions.

In France, as of Aug. 1, anyone without a “health pass” showing they have been vaccinated or recently tested negative will not be admitted to restaurants, cafes or movie theaters, and they will not be able to travel long distances by train, Mr. Macron said.

Many tests will cease being free in the fall “to encourage vaccination” before then. As for health workers, if they are not vaccinated by Sept. 15, they face suspension of pay, even dismissal.

Among European Union states, only Greece and Italy have made vaccination mandatory for health workers.

Opposition politicians, especially on the far-right and left, sharply criticized Mr. Macron’s dirigiste turn. “An indecent brutality,” Marine Le Pen, the rightist leader, said in a post on Twitter, responding to the admonition to health workers. For Jean-Luc Mélenchon, who leads an extreme left party, this was the act of a “presidential monarchy.”

The spectacle of the far right and the far left standing up for French “liberties,” while centrist liberals embraced top-down discipline was unusual. On balance, Mr. Macron’s gamble seemed to be working.

A free choice for the collective good is something to which the French are responsive. It feels like liberty and fraternity.

An outright imposition of mandatory vaccination would have been far more provocative. Mr. Macron has not, however, ruled out that ultimate step as the price of France attaining post-Covid status.

“I sense a feeling of relief that there’s finally somebody at the helm,” said Nicole Bacharan, a social scientist. “I certainly felt that.”

Vaccination has been a stop-go affair in France with polls suggesting last year that more than half of French people opposed vaccination. A segment of the population inclined to plot theories and skeptical of anything “elites” impose has resisted the idea that inoculation is the best response to the pandemic. About 36 percent of the population is now fully vaccinated, and a little over half has had at least one dose.

For Mr. Macron, the political calculus for his gamble probably seemed powerful. In many ways his address resembled a declaration of his candidacy for the 2022 election. A fourth wave of the pandemic later this year after France has already gone through three national lockdowns would almost certainly compromise his chances of re-election.

He has said a strong economic rebound is underway. It would not survive the renewed shuttering of stores and businesses and another curfew.

The president’s decision placed France ahead of most European states in making vaccination near mandatory. Britain, with many more people already vaccinated, is moving in the opposite direction. Despite a similar surge in Delta variant cases, it is on course for “Freedom Day” on Monday, when the government of Prime Minister Boris Johnson says most remaining Covid-19 restrictions will be lifted.

In the United States, it is unlikely that any attempt at the federal level to impose the restrictions now envisaged by Mr. Macron would garner congressional approval. In France, Mr. Macron has a  majority in the National Assembly, which should ensure that his proposals are voted into law.

Mr. Macron is touring the country in an attempt to “feel the pulse” of the nation, as he puts it. He will go next to the Hautes-Pyrénées region in the southwest, where he will get a first on-the-ground sense of whether driving the French to vaccinate themselves is a winning step, or sets the country on course for what is known here as a “fracture sanitaire,” or health fracture, which could turn into a nasty break once people start being turned away from restaurants.

Putting a health pass between the French and a meal is never without significant risks.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I carry mine with me everywhere I go. I still carry hand sanitizer and keep a mask in my car just in case. I haven’t gotten to the point of asking masked people if they’ve started their vaccinations yet but I’m getting close. Mine were fast, easy, painless, and I suffered no adverse effects of any kind. I sort of feel like maybe I should start whipping out my card and waving it around and asking others to do the same.

image.gif.3cb420dd5b74257fd70ddbb994357220.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You think the masked people are unvaccinated?  I see it that the maskless people are a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated, and the masked are probably 95% vaccinated.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is how “conservatives” function. I’m serious. Having watched all of the ones I know in my life, their immediate reaction to any situation is, “how could this possibly hurt me, no matter the facts or how inconceivable?  What is the worst possible outcome? That is how I will make my choice.”

I’m serious. This is why we are where we are. People whose first reaction to every situation is fear. 

If you're labeling me a conservative I'm most likely to the left of you on the vast majority of issues. 

• Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

While I'm not always a fan of lmao's commentary, MorganFreeman.gif. 

Having lived in France and still also having a few friends there, they have a very libertarian (and libertine) streak when it comes to personal freedoms. Here's an article from Roger Cohen, whose commentary on France always feels pretty spot on from my experience. Those Frenchies are a lot more American than Americans (or Frenchies) like to admit and their independent streak is, I think, at the root of why we like to give them shit and bicker with them so much. We each remind ourselves too much of ourselves.

The backdrop for this action by Macron has been interesting. What is your take on it, in light of the letter by the retired generals and cosigned by ~1000 active duty military that was published on April 21 (60th anniversary of a failed coup) saying that the country is heading for civil war due to religious extremism? LePen supported that letter and is going to make as much hay of this health crisis as is possible, but which way will the divide trend in your opinion?

38 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The backdrop for this action by Macron has been interesting. What is your take on it, in light of the letter by the retired generals and cosigned by ~1000 active duty military that was published on April 21 (60th anniversary of a failed coup) saying that the country is heading for civil war due to religious extremism? LePen supported that letter and is going to make as much hay of this health crisis as is possible, but which way will the divide trend in your opinion?

Are they referencing a certain religion in the extremism comments? Christian or Muslim? Both running into each other?

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Are they referencing a certain religion in the extremism comments? Christian or Muslim? Both running into each other?

"Islam and the hordes of the banlieue." I believe the last term refers to immigrant suburbs. I'm not following much more than that, although there has also been an anti-semetic sentiment from the far right as well. The whole 'globalist banking' stuff that gets drug out.

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Laminate it and get a lanyard for it

I know a guy that makes theatre props for a living that is making Fifth Element Multi-pass holders for vaccine cards, which is how I would go if I needed a card holder. 

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Wearing a mask after you've been vaccinated is performative theater and decidedly anti-science #itsscience

I don't want to catch covid. The vaccine does not offer 95% protection in catching it but more to the point that the consequences are much less severe.  Every testing center is well aware of this. #itsscience

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The govt shooting itself in the foot again. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/16/health/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-fda-priority-review/index.html

FDA grants priority review for the Pfizer vaccine to move it from Emergency Use to Approved.   Expected: January 2022.  smh.

The FDA is now saying a decision should occur within 2 months. I'm guessing someone spoke to them or at least their PR team.