CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Here's the national heat map. The outbreak in Missouri was originally centered a few weeks ago in north central MO and quickly thereafter a second hot spot showed up in the Ozarks. Those two started to merge and the Ozark one spread down into Arkansas.

I'm so fucking proud.

19 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I have that fuckstick GR on ignore but since you quoted him I am guessing he was talking about me.  I may have to add "The Vengeful" to my real name at some point.  I kind of like the sound of that.  Oh, and I have no problem with someone in this world making a choice and dying from it.  It was their choice.  Want to go swim with sharks and get your arm bit off, OK, your choice.  I do have a problem if it hurts the rest of society however.  My beliefs aren't just about covid either.  You ride a motorcyle and choose not to wear a helmet then I think if you crash you shouldn't get medical care if the helmet would have prevented the injuries.  That non helmet wearing asshole costs all of our healthcare to be higher just like those choosing not to get vaccinated for Covid are costing all of us whether it be variants spreading or the healthcare resources they are taking that could be used for others.  So yeah, choose not to get vaccinated then I have no issues letting those fuckers die.

Isn't the GQP the ones who like to say actions have consequences?  Welp, being a dumbass should have consequences.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I only see this very rarely now.  Speaks to the effectiveness of messaging done right.  Maybe we need need Willie and Too Tall Jones in ads pushing vaccines in Texas. 

The all time best Don't Mess With Texas commercial is the one with the CAF B-17....      As long as you ignore that they needed a name change way before then

Let's make an impression on this guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Some very vengeful, unethical people on this forum. Y’all are really something. 

You’re damn right.  Covid cost me a personal friend dying early last summer and a couple of friends getting really sick so fuck every one of the anti vaxxers in their goat ass.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

In all seriousness though, do you actually know and interact with people that believe that Bill Gates is using the vaccines as a delivery mechanism for microchips?

I am not asking if you found something on twitter to get bunched up about.  I mean an actual real life acquaintance or colleague?

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have yet to have someone evangelize to me about vaccine microchips. I kinda wish that it would happen though, cause it would be a really funny exchange in real life.  

Caveat:  I don't really know a lot of people here and most of my neighbors seem sane, no matter which side of the aisle they're on.  I did tell the story on this thread however, of how my wife was banned from her yoga class after she told them she got her first vaccine shot.  Stupid hippies.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Yep, they fought at the Alamo too.   Ops used the basement to plan bombing runs.

fun fact: the circular Hilton hotel near AUS airport was the command station for the air campaign for Desert Storm. when our firm arrived to study the possibility of converting it to a hotel there were still old computers (shells, really) and maps of Kuwait in the basement. Pretty cool and not something I had known previously. Not sure many people did until the base was decommissioned.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Gotcha.  Well, doesn't that make sense since two doses of Pfizer was more effective than two of AZ?

Here is a commentary piece from Nature that discusses the issue more broadly: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01805-2  

That makes sense, but there are some suggestions in the data that AZ/PFE combination elicits certain components of the immune response to greater extent than PFE/PFE.  AZ and PFE present different versions of the spike protein, whereas JNJ, MRNA, and PFE all present the same stabilized spike protein (UT developed). 

The real question is for people in the US where AZ is not in play, what is the effect when combining mRNA shot with JNJ.  JNJ uses similar delivery tech as AZ, but they use the same spike as PFE/MRNA.  Is the effect based on the different spikes being presented, or the virus vector vs. mRNA? Or some contribution of both.  Who fucking knows, the immune system is creepy as fuck. And where the fuck is the 2nd dose JNJ/JNJ data anyways?

For example, from Germany (Chadox is AZ, BNT is PFE):

Serological responses are most widely used to assess immunogenicity of vaccination, but T cell responses are another important marker of anti-SARS-CoV-2 immunity. The spike S1- specific T cell response was measured in 47 ChAdOx prime immunised, 60 ChAZOx/BNT boost immunised and 66 BNT/BNT boost immunised subjects by IFN-γ release (IGRA). Three weeks after ChAdOx prime immunisation, participants showed robust T cell responses (Fig. 3E). Notably, T cell reactivity was significantly higher after heterologous ChAdOx/BNT boost immunisation compared to homologous BNT/BNT boosting (1.67 AU, IQR: 1.29-2.45, vs. 2.25 AU, IQR: 1.57-2.73, p=0.0255) (Fig. 3E)

And this other one from Germany:

Interestingly, heterologous mRNA boosting (PFE 2nd dose) in vector-primed (AZ first dose) individuals induced highest percentages of spike-specific CD8 T cells (0.28% (IQR 0.55%)), which were not only more pronounced than after homologous vector boost (vector/vector: 0.04% (IQR 0.08%)) but also higher than the mRNA/mRNA regimen (0.06% (IQR 0.19)%, p<0.0001, figure 1D).

Edited by Anastasis

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31814508/how-nba-navigated-two-unprecedented-seasons

Spoiler

THERE IS STILL so much that matters. For Portland Trail Blazers center Jusuf Nurkic, who says he lost several family members to the virus, the task ahead is vital.

His home country, Bosnia and Herzegovina, has been ravaged by COVID-19, with over 200,000 confirmed cases and 9,600 deaths reported to the World Health Organization, but it still has very limited access to the vaccine.

"They just have donations, but not enough to vaccinate the people," Nurkic says. "I tried to buy it for the whole country. I figured out the money, the plan and everything. But we still can't do it.

"Even if we find vaccines, I guess United States laws say that until the American people are vaccinated, you can't sell it. So, I don't know what else to do. I really tried."

What's even harder, Nurkic says, is knowing how much vaccine supply is going unused in the United States, which he would gladly purchase for his country.

"All these countries are suffering and you have the United States, obviously the No. 1 in the world, has the vaccines and people don't want to get vaccinated," he says.

"I just feel like humanity has kind of failed, because all the countries around should get at least some of those vaccines, right?"

Last July, just as the NBA's bubble was beginning in Florida, Nurkic learned that his grandmother in Bosnia and Herzegovina had contracted COVID-10 -- and treatment options were limited.

"After 17 days, she survived the COVID," Nurkic says. "Then on Day 19, she had a heart attack. It was unbelievable."

Nurkic got the news as he was on a bus to a game.

"At that point, I wished I could just take a plane to go to the funeral," he says. "Probably, if I could do it again, I would do that. It's difficult when you're really far away."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What’s truly amazing is that Tennessee Republicans are now against ALL vaccines. Not just for Covid. They want to bring back smallpox and polio. And something even more appalling is coming right around the corner. You know it. 

If you get the power to oust the vaccination healthcare chief because of the godless covid vaccine being promoted to children, let's take it further. After all God wouldn't be killing people with diseases unless it was part of His plan.

20 hours ago, GopherRock said:

From a poorly-vaccinated area of central Minnesota...

"Of the nearly 25,000 people who live in the county, about 8,200 residents have been vaccinated, according to state statistics. The county has an estimated 2,000 Amish residents, who traditionally don’t get vaccinated, Mackedanz said. County workers have talked to the bishops to try to convince them to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

“They’re very respectful, but they believe that their health is in the Lord’s hands,” Mackedanz said.

So here is my question: if they believe that their health is in the Lord's hands, wouldn't they necessarily believe that the Lord sent them these health messengers/vaccine deliverers? It's like the old joke:

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

The doctor quoted, Dr. Dunn, is an adjunct associate professor at UT Health's Biomedical Infomatics school in Houston. If you felt inclined to comment on an UT adjunct professor being involved in this program, the dean's email address is jiajie.zhang@uth.tmc.edu

We were in California a week ago and a lot of people were still wearing masks inside; I'd rather wear a mask and still be able to go somewhere than to have everything shut down completely. We went to several museums and other attractions and wore masks indoors. We never saw anyone make a fuss anywhere which was nice.