CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

9 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I guess your first reply was meant humorously as it certainly wasn't very helpful.

I'm sorry you read it that way.  I wasn't trying to be humorous.  If your doc gives the green light then it comes down to finding a pharmacy that is will to administer dose 1 of an mRNA vaccine, knowing you've had J&J.  They are out there.  Doc permission might be required.

• Hook 'Em 2

My PCP said no, but is willing to revisit in the coming month(s) since I've got the cancer background. I already receive the flu and pneumonia shots and with older children I don't get exposed as much as when they brought home every virus known to mankind. Those gastro bugs are the worst.

7 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

vaccine-dvr-1200x900.png

This poll is obviously fake news. here’s a total back of envelope breakdown. 

Black people are 12% of the population. They vote 90% democratic. So the breakdown of the Democratic Party is about 20% black. That means if literally every other Democrat was vaccinated you would still need 80% of the black population to get vaccinated to leave 4% of the party unvaxxed. Must be a lot of people lying to pollsters here. 

• Fuck You 9

19 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This poll is obviously fake news. here’s a total back of envelope breakdown. 

Black people are 12% of the population. They vote 90% democratic. So the breakdown of the Democratic Party is about 20% black. That means if literally every other Democrat was vaccinated you would still need 80% of the black population to get vaccinated to leave 4% of the party unvaxxed. Must be a lot of people lying to pollsters here. 

Seriously?

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Pfizer could very well be motivated by revenue. My PCP, who is a little eccentric, does not like Pfizer’s track record when it comes to business scruples. I didn’t have a choice where I went and received Pfizer.

I get this and have some alignment around it. Lyrica (pregabalin) damaged their credibility.

I know a guy who is an ER nurse in LA, and he is adamantly anti-vax and scoffs at the seriousness of covid.  His ignorance is impenetrable.  The mind boggles, but whatever.

Sorry she died.  I'm sorry anyone dies.  Well, mostly.  I might chuckle at a few, on my way down to hell.

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t do Facebook. But according to an embedded FB post in this article, both her parents are sick. And she was pregnant.

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/coronavirus/article_8a4b8208-e1cb-11eb-ba04-37f42eb02e90.html

If true that’s horrible. She killed herself and her kid and endangered her parents all because she stupidly listened to guys like GRUHorn on the net.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

On 7/10/2021 at 3:18 PM, Willfully Horn said:

Posting this in the political CV thread, in response to the idea that Republicans are unfairly branded as anti-vaccine.

Tennessee GOP Reps Threaten to Defund Health Dept. Over 'Targeting' Kids With Vaccine Info

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/tennessee-gop-reps-threaten-defund-health-dept-over-targeting-kids-vaccine-info-1602225%3famp=1

Edited to add that the Republican propaganda arm, FOX, is an anti-vax fountain.

"Charlie Kirk compares vaccine requirements to apartheid"

Um, homeboy is a big of fan of apartheid. So.he's saying this is a good thing?

• Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Why again are they actively trying to kill their own viewership and the GOP voting base?

*shrugs*

Perhaps it is because when one rules by minority, the size of the minority matters less than how much power the minority has. Once the minority runs the State apparatus, then the rest falls into place. Human capitol stock is expendable and collateral damage the price one pays. Since a Romanian style ban on BC and abortion is one of the long range goals, sacrificing the weak, elderly, and obese is the fascist way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I feel for these people.  I want to limit their deaths.  I think we need to continue to try and convince them to get the vaccine.  But beyond that, what's the problem?

You get it, you aren't going to die.  You don't get it, you made that decision.  Stop protecting those who have made that decision.  And stop worrying about them affecting you.  They are killing themselves.

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I feel for these people.  I want to limit their deaths.  I think we need to continue to try and convince them to get the vaccine.  But beyond that, what's the problem?

You get it, you aren't going to die.  You don't get it, you made that decision.  Stop protecting those who have made that decision.  And stop worrying about them affecting you.  They are killing themselves.

I would agree that most of them are lost causes and, thus, not worth the consternation. Take care of you and yours, and let everyone else make their own decisions. The problem, though, is that people are literally willing to die for politics. And, worse, an entire party is cheering them on. I'm not one to concern troll, but that's...not great from a societal perspective moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I would agree that most of them are lost causes and, thus, not worth the consternation. Take care of you and yours, and let everyone else make their own decisions. The problem, though, is that people are literally willing to die for politics. And, worse, an entire party is cheering them on. I'm not one to concern troll, but that's...not great from a societal perspective moving forward.

There are a lot of people that are duped or stupid, but I disagree that "an entire party is cheering them on."  You can find quote after quote from Republican governors in the south encouraging their citizens to get the vaccine.  They may not be requiring it to the degree that some want, but they are not encouraging or cheering anyone to not get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

There are a lot of people that are duped or stupid, but I disagree that "an entire party is cheering them on."  You can find quote after quote from Republican governors in the south encouraging their citizens to get the vaccine.  They may not be requiring it to the degree that some want, but they are not encouraging or cheering anyone to not get it.

Yeah, the Arky gov is basically begging people to take it at this point.  WV gov said “We have two lotteries.  One is a lottery and the other is a death lottery.”

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Sorry, meant to specify at the federal level. I would agree that state governors have largely been much better than their House and Senate representatives.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, the Arky gov is basically begging people to take it at this point.  WV gov said “We have two lotteries.  One is a lottery and the other is a death lottery.”

There are several counties in Arkansas that have fewer than 25% vaccinated. Miller county has less than 10%. Now it's a small county, only around 43,000 people, but it's part of the Texarkana metro area and virus don't play around with state lines.

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

There are several counties in Arkansas that have fewer than 25% vaccinated. Miller county has less than 10%. Now it's a small county, only around 43,000 people, but it's part of the Texarkana metro area and virus don't play around with state lines.

Speaking of Arkansas...

On 7/7/2021 at 10:46 AM, Anastasis said:

Data on VE against variants out of Canada.  All of these studies have limitations, so important not to overweight the data coming out of any one country, but to consider the balance of the different data points. The balance of the data suggest that the vaccines are very effective against delta. It's the unvaccinated that I really worry about.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.28.21259420v1.full.pdf

Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against variants of concern, Canada

Screenshot-2021-07-07-103909.jpg

Two additional footnotes that got cut off the screengrab:

¶VE estimated as 100% based on zero vaccinated test-positive cases

**VE not reported due to extremely imprecise 95% confidence intervals

Am I reading this wrong or is moderna potentially more effective than Pfizer against the variants?

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Am I reading this wrong or is moderna potentially more effective than Pfizer against the variants?

I don't think that a strong conclusion can be made based on those results.  The sample size for Delta relatively small and the resulting confidence intervals overlap. Further, there are a variety of other issues in play that may impact those results.  It would take a very large study with random assignment to either Pfizer or Moderna to differentiate cleanly, if a difference actually existed. There is no compelling reason to think that one does, imo. 

https://www.axios.com/israel-vaccine-booster-delta-variant-db5dfb14-3729-496e-9675-26f0b652e498.html?

Israel on Monday will begin offering a third dose of Pfizer and BioNTech's coronavirus vaccine as a booster shot for people with weakened immune systems, according to the Times of Israel.

Why it matters: It's the first country to offer booster shots to bolster protection against the rapidly spreading Delta variant. The Israeli Health Ministry is still determining whether an extra shot should be offered to the general public.

Despite a world-leading vaccine rollout, new coronavirus cases have surged in Israel over the past month in part because of the highly contagious Delta variant.

Israel's Health Ministry announced last week that the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine had dropped to 64% against all COVID-19 infections, down from 95% in May.

The big picture: Pfizer and BioNTech announced last week that they will seek authorization to offer an updated booster shot in the United States and European countries.

Pfizer also released the results of a study on booster shots, finding that a third dose was 5–10 times more effective at neutralizing the virus than two doses because of "an observed decline in efficacy against symptomatic disease over time."

Go deeper ... Study: Delta coronavirus variant evades antibodies through mutations

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/10/covid-booster-shot-pfizer/

Pfizer expected to brief U.S. officials in coming days on the need for a booster shot

Government officials have said science will dictate whether a third shot is needed

Pfizer is expected to brief top U.S. government health officials in the coming days about the need for a coronavirus vaccine booster shot after an unusually public spat between the pharmaceutical giant and federal officials over whether a third shot will be necessary, according to the company and six people familiar with the plans.

Pfizer and the German firm BioNTech announced on Thursday that they planned to seek regulatory approval for a booster within weeks because they anticipated that people would need a third dose six to 12 months after receiving the companies’ two-shot regimen.

But top U.S. health officials have not decided whether boosters will be necessary. And several hours after the companies announced their intentions Thursday, the Department of Health and Human Services issued an emphatic rebuke, saying “Americans who have been fully vaccinated do not need a booster shot at this time.”

As new coronavirus variants emerge and the longevity of vaccine protection remains unknown, scientists are researching how booster shots could work. (The Washington Post)

The debate about a booster shot comes as global anxiety rises about the spread of the highly transmissible delta variant, which has become the most prevalent strain in the United States. It also reflects ongoing concerns about vaccine hesitancy and the fairness of potentially giving Americans a third shot when much of the world lacks access to vaccines.

Pfizer has publicly cited data from Israel showing that its vaccine remains effective against the delta variant in preventing hospitalizations and serious illness but has declining effectiveness at preventing milder cases. The company is most focused on whether boosters are needed for the elderly and most vulnerable.

Pfizer said it has its own data showing that immunity against the coronavirus declines in vaccinated people over time, particularly in the elderly, but some scientists and health officials have cautioned that only the company has seen that data so far. The company will share the data with the FDA.

Those invited to the upcoming briefing include Anthony S. Fauci, President Biden’s chief medical adviser and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases; Francis S. Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health; Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Janet Woodcock, acting commissioner for the Food and Drug Administration; David Kessler, chief science officer for the covid-19 response; and Vivek H. Murthy, the surgeon general. It is not yet clear who will attend. The meeting is scheduled for Monday, though that could change.

The people familiar with the meeting and others who described discussions about booster shots spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the issue. Several companies have regularly briefed U.S. officials on their data and findings throughout vaccine trials.

Pfizer will give U.S. officials a briefing similar to what they presented to Europeans last week about the need for a booster.

HHS and FDA declined to comment. A Pfizer representative confirmed the meeting but declined to provide details.

The HHS statement released after Pfizer’s Thursday announcement did not mention Pfizer by name but said “a science-based, rigorous process” led by the CDC, FDA and NIH would determine if boosters are necessary. The decision, the statement said, will be only partly informed by data from drug companies. It underscored that current data shows fully vaccinated people are protected against severe illness, even from the most challenging variants.

U.S. officials said they have not seen persuasive data clearly indicating boosters will be needed and are waiting to see whether Pfizer will have new or additional data that makes a compelling case. There is also concern that discussion of boosters could impact vaccine hesitancy, though two officials stressed that was not the main issue in deciding whether to recommend that some Americans receive a third shot.

Fauci told CNN on Friday that Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla called him to apologize for not alerting the U.S. government that it planned to seek authorization for a third shot of its vaccine.

Several senior health officials said they think it will probably be appropriate to recommend boosters for the elderly and the most vulnerable, such as those who are immunocompromised, but stressed there will be a public process to make such an evaluation, according to two senior administration officials.

An advisory panel to the CDC, called the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, will evaluate Pfizer’s data if the FDA authorizes Pfizer’s booster shot and recommend who should receive it, as the panel has done for several other health decisions related to coronavirus vaccines.

That panel heard a detailed presentation last month on what is known about the need for boosters and the questions that will need to be answered as authorities assess whether the United States is going to need additional doses in the future. Among the questions: Will boosters be needed, and if so, are they needed for everyone, or only in specific populations? What is the optimal timing, and can they be given as a “mixed dose,” or do they need to be matched with the original series of shots?

The FDA and the CDC advisory group will require data on safety, the immune response generated by boosters and public health, said Sara Oliver, a CDC official who is part of the advisory committee’s covid-19 work group.

The work group recommended that booster doses begin only after evidence of declining vaccine effectiveness against illnesses and signs that variants substantially affected vaccine protection. Oliver said there were no data to support recommendations for booster doses at the moment but that CDC is continuing to monitor vaccine effectiveness and the risk of variants.

Top health officials are still trying to understand the clinical significance of declining immunity in older people who have been vaccinated and whether that justifies administering a third shot.

Pfizer officials have begun to worry that data out of Israel showing declining effectiveness could cause some people to believe its vaccine is not effective. They have also grown concerned there could be outbreaks in nursing homes and among other vulnerable populations as the delta variant surges in the United States, and have worried about waiting too long to administer boosters, according to a person familiar with some of the discussions.

Receiving an emergency authorization from the FDA, and then a recommendation from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, would probably take months. Pfizer officials are anxious that the process will take too long if U.S. officials do not take action soon.

Some scientists and health experts have said Pfizer stands to benefit financially from the administration of booster shots and said the company sparked confusion with its Thursday announcement.

All the pharmaceutical companies involved in making coronavirus vaccines are working on formulating and testing booster shots to prepare for the possibility that immunity fades or a new variant capable of totally escaping vaccines emerges — steps that experts agree are prudent and wise.

Some other countries have already laid out plans to begin administering booster shots. In the United Kingdom, the National Health Service has outlined plans for booster shots to begin in September, targeted first to groups that include people who are immunosuppressed, people older than 70 and front-line health-care workers. Eventually, its boosters will be offered to people older than 50 and adults at high risk. Israeli health officials are still considering whether to offer booster shots.

Pfizer said it would submit data to regulators within weeks showing that a booster at six months — a third shot of its original vaccine — caused antibody levels to shoot up five to 10 times higher than the original two-dose regimen. Moderna announced data from similar trials in May.

The drug company also announced it would begin testing a booster shot specifically programmed to combat the delta variant in August.

10 hours ago, lmao said:

"Charlie Kirk compares vaccine requirements to apartheid"

Um, homeboy is a big of fan of apartheid. So.he's saying this is a good thing?

I really wonder how many of these big anti-vaxxers have gotten it in secret. My wife runs her dad's dental practice and three of the other four women who work for my FIL are hard-core Trumpers/anti-vax. One of them got COVID a couple of months back (her husband did too) and they had it pretty bad. One of the other hygienists secretly (from the other Trumpers anyways) got the vaccine because she wanted to be freer to go see her mom in Vegas. I like to think it was like the last scene in Summer School when Chainsaw called Dave an asshole for passing the test while he failed. "I can take it again. I can fail. I promise!"

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/304fe54b-4889-44cd-93f6-434ae6f833ad

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

". . . maybe there's just an ebb and flow to life where something's supposed to wipe out a certain amount of people, and that's just kind of the way evolution goes. Vaccines kind of stand in the way of that."

Well, yeah.  Vaccines do stand in the way of that.  Keen insight there, Rob.

• Like 1

We joke but it does seem to be a bit of a problem for organized society that certain people who in past generations would've been killed by war, disease, or their own stupidity now survive long enough to organize and fuck things up for everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The problem is that while it may not affect us now, these idiots are breeding grounds for more variants which then WILL affect us if our current vaccines are ineffective against them. So yes, for now they are only mostly killing themselves but that may not always be the case.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

15 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I feel bad for her friends and family that mourn her but it's hard to feel sympathy for the person themselves when this could have been easily prevented. Easily. And since she apparently chose to pass on false information, I have even less sympathy for her.

On a related note, I'm strongly considering a 3rd Pfizer shot. I gather that Pfizer feels there is a health benefit and the only obstacle is that the govt wants the unvaccinated to be getting the shots. I agree the unvaccinated are the priority but at some point soon, I'm in the camp that they've had their chance and passed onit. Get out of the way so the rest of us can get even more protected.

I'm looking to just walk into a pharmacy and claim that I haven't been vaccinated. If some govt agency somehow puts 2 and 2 together to realize that I've had a 3rd shot, so be it. My main worry is that my employer tracks my vaccination status. I'm in healthcare. If they end up requiring a 3rd shot, I would either have to get a 4th or admit to my deception.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My main worry is that my employer tracks my vaccination status. I'm in healthcare. If they end up requiring a 3rd shot, I would either have to get a 4th or admit to my deception.

Couldn't you show them your two cards, which would prove 3 vax?  Better to ask forgiveness later than permission now.

Thai HCW's getting sick despite full SinoVac regimen.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/hundreds-thai-medical-workers-infected-despite-sinovac-vaccinations-2021-07-11/

BANGKOK, July 11 (Reuters) - Thailand's health ministry said on Sunday more than 600 medical workers who received two doses of China's Sinovac vaccine (SVA.O) have been infected with COVID-19, as authorities weigh giving booster doses to raise immunity.

Bangkok gonna use a mixed regimen with AZ as second shot moving forward, and appears to me that they are using an mRNA vax to boost the people that already had 2 SinoVac shots. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-starts-tighter-coronavirus-lockdown-around-capital-2021-07-12/

BANGKOK, July 12 (Reuters) - Thailand will use AstraZeneca Plc's (AZN.L) COVID-19 vaccine as a second dose for those who received Sinovac's (SVA.O) shot as their first dose in a bid to increase protection, it said on Monday.

The move is the first publicly announced mix-and-match of a Chinese vaccine and a Western-developed shot, as a new preliminary Thai study raised doubts about the longer-term protection of the two-dose course Sinovacvaccine.

"This is to improve protection against the Delta variant and build a high level of immunity against the disease," Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told reporters, adding that the second dose of AstraZeneca would come three or four weeks after the first Sinovac shot.

Thailand now plans to give booster shots of imported mRNA vaccine to its frontline workers - who were given imported Sinovac before the locally manufactured AstraZeneca vaccine was available in June. Indonesia is considering similar boosters.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

The problem is that while it may not affect us now, these idiots are breeding grounds for more variants which then WILL affect us if our current vaccines are ineffective against them. So yes, for now they are only mostly killing themselves but that may not always be the case.

It really shouldn’t be hard to understand.