Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

You explained why Biden is afforded patience in your own post. Yet, you believe Rogan should be afforded the same because? Rogan is being attacked because of his large body of rhetoric pushing anti-vaccine positions, not to mention platforming white nationalists and others. Biden and Rogan are not equals in any sense of the word, and thus are judged with a different lens. It’s the same reason Abbot is afforded more patience than Alex Jones. 

Not to mention Rogan actively opposed racial integration of schools, was close friends with a Klan leader for decades, has a 40-year record of racist comments, was publicly called a racist by his partner, and only major legislative accomplishment led to the record incarceration of African Americans ... and was the original vax skeptic.

Spoiler

Oops ... that's Biden again.

• Haha 5

Anyone thinking Rogan is going to another platform is delusional. The choices are Spotify or no podcast until the contract is over.

The Spotify ceo is only going to apologize for Rogan maybe 1 one time before they write off their investment.

Spotify is not an option with many car manufacturers. Spotify bought podcasters ringer and gimlet outright and purchased the publishing rights of Rogan to help get them on more devices (cars.) Spotify salesmen must be telling Toyota that car buyers will demand spotify. Does anyone think Toyota believes that today?

this scandal has cost spotify much more than $100m in future revenue. What’s funny is that silencing Rogan now could create even more harm. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anyone thinking Rogan is going to another platform is delusional. The choices are Spotify or no podcast until the contract is over.

The Spotify ceo is only going to apologize for Rogan maybe 1 one time before they write off their investment.

Spotify is not an option with many car manufacturers. Spotify bought podcasters ringer and gimlet outright and purchased the publishing rights of Rogan to help get them on more devices (cars.) Spotify salesmen must be telling Toyota that car buyers will demand spotify. Does anyone think Toyota believes that today?

this scandal has cost spotify much more than $100m in future revenue. What’s funny is that silencing Rogan now could create even more harm. 

Spotify should silence him.  I’d like to see what happens.  Be interesting to see if there will be tremendous pushback or not.

13 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Spotify should silence him.  I’d like to see what happens.  Be interesting to see if there will be tremendous pushback or not.

It's such a weird world in which EVERYONE looks for reasons to be offended. I wouldn't pay attention to anyone that thinks that only the other side has a monopoly on being a snowflake.

Spotify made the mistake when they just looked at Rogan's listener count and didn't think about any other problem. Or they should have set guidelines for Rogan WHEN they signed him. It would not have been tough to add a condition that medical guests with radical/extreme minority opinions must include equal time on the majority opinion. And that non-qualified guests are not allowed to air medical opinions.

As for him being politically incorrect if not flat out using racial slurs, someone at Spotify already knew that. Makes me wonder if the lack of awareness is a Swedish thing. I've heard that some Scandinavian citizens can be surprising unaware when they're making a racist statement. I imagine this occurs in any country where one race is the extreme majority. But maybe I'm wrong on this one.

10 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Wow. I don't keep up with every detail of the Rogan story. I wasn't aware of his comparison of a black audience to the Planet of the Apes. That can't be walked back by an apology. I will give Rogan slight credit that he acknowledged it was a racist comment and even he can't believe he said. Shows some growth.

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

He hasn't sold his catalog, but he also doesn't fully own the rights to his music, because of his record contracts.  

Neil's got a ton of money.  Crosby sold his catalog because he was flat fucking broke.  He was selling guitars...literally selling classic Martin guitars, just to pay the mortgage.  

Neil hasn't sold his catalog. 

If somebody wants to cover "Heart of Gold", Neil will get paid. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/neil-young-music-catalog-hipgnosis-investment-1110037/

Neil Young has sold 50 percent of the worldwide copyright and income interests in his 1,180 song catalogue to Hipgnosis Songs Fund Limited, the U.K. investment firm founded by manager-turned-investor Merck Mercuriadis. 

• Like 2

It weakens your credibility as a reliable and trustworthy conversationalist.  Best to shoot straight.

As for the subject, Biden apologized personally. Obama accepted it graciously and made Joe Biden his VP. 

I would say it establishes his credibility.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Not to mention Rogan actively opposed racial integration of schools, was close friends with a Klan leader for decades, has a 40-year record of racist comments, was publicly called a racist by his partner, and only major legislative accomplishment led to the record incarceration of African Americans ... and was the original vax skeptic.

Reveal hidden contents

Oops ... that's Biden again.

Did this old white racist male also promise to filibuster the SCOTUS nomination of a very well qualified black woman who was sitting on the DC Court of Appeals when O'Connor retired?

• Hook 'Em 1

"The terms ‘silencing’ and ‘canceling’ are false equivalencies that distract from the situation. Spotify can’t silence or cancel a podcaster whose audience would likely grow if it went back to being available on all other podcasting platforms. (Especially since Rogan has since been offered a matching deal from Rumble, which wants to distribute all of his content without censorship)."

• Hook 'Em 1

Cancelling to me means stopping other people from listening to a speaker or consuming a product.

It does not mean deciding you no longer want to listen to a speaker or consume a product. 

Politics in sports has drastically reduced my consumption of pro sports.  I am not trying to preclude other's abilities to do so.

It's the difference in not attending a speech on college campus as opposed to lobbying to get the speaker cancelled so others cannot attend.

• Hook 'Em 3

Well in that case, cancelling is as new as the sun. It happens here when a post or poster is removed by moderators or popular vote. It happens when religions go to war to kill or convert anyone who believes differently.  It happened when some people started talking of a heliocentric solar system or of a spheroid earth. It happens now sometimes to people who talk about a flat earth. Its a thing that happens all the time, as part of the human condition. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well in that case, cancelling is as new as the sun. It happens here when a post or poster is removed by moderators or popular vote. It happens when religions go to war to kill or convert anyone who believes differently.  It happened when some people started talking of a heliocentric solar system or of a spheroid earth. It happens now sometimes to people who talk about a flat earth. Its a thing that happens all the time, as part of the human condition. 

Historically I think the genesis of it was meant to describe a situation where someone got the negative spotlight put on them and their entire digital life was combed through in order to find things (e.g. go dig up tweets from when a current older celebrity was a non-celebrity teenager, etc.) to create a mass hysteria and situation where their current situation was negatively impacted (e.g. the celebrity is fired from their job due to pressure of the negative backlash).

I think "cancel" in "cancel culture" has morphed come full circle to what you are saying Pato where it's just a part of the play, as it's always been. This I think brings up a tangential issue of how words and language evolve and morph as society/culture changes in parallel. 

Edited by TurkeyChew

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Politics in sports has drastically reduced my consumption of pro sports.  I am not trying to preclude other's abilities to do so.

The NFL never televised the national anthem except for the Super Bowl. Then Kaepernick kneels and we see the anthem every Sunday for each game. Why is that? The pre-game show used to run up to 11:59pm CT, they kicked it over to the broadcast team that spoke for the 1 minute prior to kick-off. The national anthem was played at 11:50 to the half packed stadium.  the remaining patriotic crowd, some wearing an american flag, were slamming their final beers walking into stadium as the song ended.

I found it odd that the anthem only mattered to the wider public once a player expressed unhappiness about an obvious problem in America.

For me, the NFL's boring product (playoffs this year being the exception) makes it unwatchable. I rediscovered that the NBA is exciting especially with so many talented young players.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I apologize to all.   That's the exact opposite of what I recently read.  My bad. 

Its estimated that he was paid $150 million for the 50% rights. not a bad payday for a 76 year old musician that certainly isnt mainstream today. 

26 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I apologize to all.   That's the exact opposite of what I recently read.  My bad. 

No need to apologize.  That article says 2 different things. Quote from the buyer indicates Neil will have a say

"The exact terms of the deal with Hipgnosis were not laid out, but Mercuriadis states that iconic songs like “Heart of Gold” will not be used to sell fast food. “I built Hipgnosis to be a company Neil would want to be a part of,” he said. “We have a common integrity, ethos and passion born out of a belief in music and these important songs. There will never be a ‘Burger of Gold’ but we will work together to make sure everyone gets to hear them on Neil’s terms.”

then at the end of the article it says:

Young is the latest in a long list of veteran artists that have recently sold at least part of their publishing rights to music investment firms 

So who knows who made the call.  They might have needed to renegotiate the deal given it clearly reduced the revenue royalty stream Hipgnosis paid for.

Let me help:

from December 2016 - https://hbr.org/2016/12/in-defense-of-cosmopolitanism

These are dark times for cosmopolitans. Discontent with globalization and resentment towards minorities, immigrants, and intellectuals have fueled the rise of nationalism in Europe and the United States. Dressed in faux-neutral neologisms like “post-truth” and “alt-right,” propaganda, racism, and xenophobia have elbowed their way back into the mainstream. And cosmopolitans are being portrayed as a detached and indulgent elite.

Cosmopolitanism—the aspiration to become a citizen of the world—has become a tainted luxury good.

It might seem prudent, in this climate, to take distance from cosmopolitanism. That choice, however, leaves a distorted image of cosmopolitanism unchallenged and lets it become a casualty in the clash between nationalism and globalization. We must do better than that. If we want to fend off the globalization of ultra-nationalism, now is the time to take a stand for cosmopolitanism—extricating its broadminded attitude from its elitist parody, and putting it to work to temper nationalism and humanize globalization.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Let me help:

from December 2016 - https://hbr.org/2016/12/in-defense-of-cosmopolitanism

These are dark times for cosmopolitans. Discontent with globalization and resentment towards minorities, immigrants, and intellectuals have fueled the rise of nationalism in Europe and the United States. Dressed in faux-neutral neologisms like “post-truth” and “alt-right,” propaganda, racism, and xenophobia have elbowed their way back into the mainstream. And cosmopolitans are being portrayed as a detached and indulgent elite.

Cosmopolitanism—the aspiration to become a citizen of the world—has become a tainted luxury good.

It might seem prudent, in this climate, to take distance from cosmopolitanism. That choice, however, leaves a distorted image of cosmopolitanism unchallenged and lets it become a casualty in the clash between nationalism and globalization. We must do better than that. If we want to fend off the globalization of ultra-nationalism, now is the time to take a stand for cosmopolitanism—extricating its broadminded attitude from its elitist parody, and putting it to work to temper nationalism and humanize globalization.

Echoes of the "somewhere people" vs. "anywhere people" dichotomy.  And overlap with what Haidt calls the "Bobos" (the bohemian bourgeoisie).  And, what my kids aspire to be.  The world is pretty damned hostile to it right now.  But things are cyclical.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

OK, I would agree with you that the JRE show is rather cosmopolitan with diverse background and points of view.

1290E30E-5E86-484A-A0F7-09CEED33838B.gif.e20a1024307cb5c00d1d9030962257f6.gif

it takes time. Read the linked article and the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cosmopolitanism/
Good luck in your journey.  Sincerely.

Internet opinion/talk shows get ridiculously quick feedback on how these shows perform. If they see a certain topic or viewpoint gets them double the viewership/minutes, they will repeat that topic within a few days. They can pretend to be journalists but they eventually just become actors reading the lines that pay them the most.

Is it really wrong that the Rock came out to say that a white guy shouldn't say the n-word? Is that really a controversial take?

I did fall into watching a handful of segments of that show when those two created their independent youtube show. I believe they were part of a show they didn't own before. To get their initial audience, Rogan invited them on, and I think he may have appeared on their show, which he doesn't do often. I could be wrong on that last bit. I assume there is some protection for Rogan due to the personal relationship.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Internet opinion/talk shows get ridiculously quick feedback on how these shows perform. If they see a certain topic or viewpoint gets them double the viewership/minutes, they will repeat that topic within a few days. They can pretend to be journalists but they eventually just become actors reading the lines that pay them the most.

Is it really wrong that the Rock came out to say that a white guy shouldn't say the n-word? Is that really a controversial take?

I did fall into watching a handful of segments of that show when those two created their independent youtube show. I believe they were part of a show they didn't own before. To get their initial audience, Rogan invited them on, and I think he may have appeared on their show, which he doesn't do often. I could be wrong on that last bit. I assume there is some protection for Rogan due to the personal relationship.

I think his move to Austin was harmful to the diversity of the show. The people that are reaching out and willing to travel just to make an appearance have more particular needs versus guests that live or frequent Las Angeles.

Is Breaking Points in that category, probably. They were trying to decouple from the traditional media revenue model. Should we discount their viewpoint out of pocket due to a lack of sophistication like Washpark, To each his own. None of this is a big deal.

• Like 1

Well 1/4th of those seem to be comedian - his close personal friends Brian Redban and Joey Diaz, and the temporarily canceled Chris D'Elia, but making a comeback.
2 more are his conspiratorial Jiu Jitsu teacher and just asking questions Eddie Bravo.

Joe Rogan should be canceled because of Eddie Bravo. That guy is a douche.

This is interesting if for not other reason than introducing the term which I've been looking for that fills the void and quiets those who want to be pedantic (censoriousness):

In the 1990s, censoriousness (not formal censorship) was understood as having a mostly right-leaning valence — Republicans spent a lot of time yelling at Hollywood and the music industry for being too smutty and the Democrats who joined them were specifically the moderates.

Relatedly, at the time public opinion was very very very conservative. People with genuinely left-wing views were desperately outnumbered and marginalized so belonging to a broader coalition of “eh people should do whatever” was in their interests.

Today “eh do whatever” helps a much-weakened conservative movement find allies. There’s clearly no majority for imposing traditionalist Christian values, but you can fight alongside distinctly NON-traditionalist comedians for the right to say things others find offensive.

For people under a certain age, the new alignment feels very natural and it’s just been their life. But for me and, certainly, for anyone who’s older than me, it’s been a somewhat dizzying set of changes.

7 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

This is interesting if for not other reason than introducing the term which I've been looking for that fills the void and quiets those who want to be pedantic (censoriousness):

Just FYI, it's courteous to link the article you're quoting rather than just dropping the text in - I'd be curious to read the whole thing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The idea that the modern right-wing isn't incredibly censorious, still much more so than the left, is absurd. Your party is busy banning talking about the existence of gay people in schools, for fuck's sake. And not only are they making it illegal, they're making it so you and your friends can sue teachers for $10,000 plus attorneys' fees (sound familiar?) for mentioning gay people to students. Get your fake concerns about free speech out of here. 

I've never said otherwise, wildcat. 

Maybe it's because all the left/dems on this site in 2022 are former R's and moderates, or maybe because we've run off the most honest and true-blue lefties (@bad_teammate) but I still do find it strange on surly that we don't have any of this honesty when it comes to censoriousness:

Not a huge fan of Thomas Friedman, and him quoting a hospital CEO "friend" that addresses the great nurse resignation without including  the shit pay issues that nurses have been raising up since the start of pandemic isn't a good look, but I thought this Op-Ed was very insightful and interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/opinion/spotify-joe-rogan-covid-free-speech.html

The conflict between Neil Young and Joe Rogan over the anti-vaccine propaganda Rogan spreads through his podcast triggered a heated debate over the boundaries of free speech on platforms like Spotify and whether one entertainer — Young — had the right to tell Spotify to drop another — Rogan — or he’d leave himself. But this clash was about something more than free speech.

As a journalist who relies on freedom of speech, I would never advocate tossing Rogan off Spotify. But as a citizen, I sure appreciated Young calling him out over the deeper issue: How is it that we have morphed into a country where people claim endless “rights” while fewer and fewer believe they have any “responsibilities.”

That was really Young’s message for Rogan and Spotify: Sure, you have the right to spread anti-vaccine misinformation, but where’s your sense of responsibility to your fellow citizens, and especially to the nurses and doctors who have to deal with the fallout for your words?

This pervasive claim that “I have my rights” but “I don’t have responsibilities” is unraveling our country today.

“We are losing what could be called our societal immunity,” argued Dov Seidman, founder of the How Institute for Society. “Societal immunity is the capacity for people to come together, do hard things and look out for one another in the face of existential threats, like a pandemic, or serious challenges to the cornerstones of their political and economic systems, like the legitimacy of elections or peaceful transfer of power.”

But societal immunity “is a function of trust,” added Seidman. (Disclosure: Seidman is a donor to my wife’s museum, Planet Word.) “When trust in institutions, leaders and each other is high, people — in a crisis — are more willing to sublimate their cherished rights and demonstrate their sense of shared responsibilities toward others, even others they disagree with on important issues and even if it means making sacrifices.”

When our trust in each other erodes, though, as is happening in America today, fewer people think they have responsibilities to the other — only rights that protect them from being told by the other what to do.

When Rogan exercised his right to spread misinformation about vaccines, and when Spotify stood behind its biggest star, they were doing nothing illegal.

They were just doing something shameful.

Because the Rogan podcast episode that set off the controversy, an interview with Dr. Robert Malone, who has gained fame with discredited claims, completely ignored the four most important statistical facts about Covid-19 today that highlight our responsibilities — to our fellow citizens and, even more so, to the nurses and doctors risking their lives to take care of us in a pandemic.

The first three statistics are from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest surveys. First, unvaccinated adults 18 years and older are 16 times more likely to be hospitalized for Covid than fully vaccinated adults. Second: Adults 65 and older who are not vaccinated are around 50 times more likely to be hospitalized for Covid than those who have received a full vaccine course and a booster. Third: Unvaccinated people are 20 times more likely to die of Covid than people who are vaccinated and boosted.

The fourth statistic is from a survey from the staffing firm Cross Country Healthcare and Florida Atlantic University’s College of Nursing, released in December. It found that the emotional toll and other work conditions brought on by the pandemic contributed to some two-thirds of nurses giving thought to leaving the profession.

A McKinsey study last month about the stress on nurses quoted Gretchen Berlin, a registered nurse and McKinsey partner, as saying: “Many patients, especially at the start of this, had only the nurses with them for those final moments, and I’m not sure that we’ve provided the decompression space for what that does to an individual who has to see that and support people through that over and over again. … The level of stress that individuals are dealing with is going to have massive implications on everyone’s well-being.”

My friend Dr. Steven Packer, president and C.E.O. of Montage Health and Community Hospital in Monterey, Calif., told me that many hospitals today are experiencing an unprecedented 20 percent annual turnover rate of nurses — more than double the historical baseline. The more nurses leave, the more those left behind have had to work overtime.

“We have hard-working frontline staff in critical care settings stretched thin caring for critically ill Covid patients — with the overwhelming majority of those patients having a potentially avoidable illness had they only been vaccinated,” explained Packer. “It is disheartening and distressing.”

Especially when so many dying unvaccinated patients tell their nurses, “I wish I had gotten vaccinated,” according to the American Hospital Association.

But as Wired magazine columnist Steve Levy wrote last week in a critique of Rogan’s three-hour Spotify interview with Malone, none of these statistics were mentioned during that podcast.

“You can listen to the entire 186-minute lovefest between Rogan and Malone and have no idea that our hospitals are overloaded with Covid cases,” wrote Levy, “and that on the day their conversation transpired, 7,559 people worldwide died of Covid, 1,410 of which were in the United States. The vast majority of them were unvaccinated.”

Instead, “the entirety of the podcast makes it clear that Rogan and Malone are on the same team,” Levy added. “When Malone uncorks questionable allegations about disastrous vaccine effects and the global cabal of politicians and drugmakers pulling strings, Rogan responds with uh-huhs and wows.” There is no mention of the numerous studies that “unvaccinated people are many, many times more likely to be hospitalized or die.”

That was Rogan’s right. That was Spotify C.E.O. Daniel Ek’s right. But who was looking out for the doctors and nurses on the pandemic front lines whose only ask is that the politicians and media influencers who are privileged enough to have public platforms — especially one like Rogan with an average of 11 million listeners per episode — use them to reinforce our responsibilities to one another, not just our rights.

I’ll tell you who was defending them: Neil Young.

Listen to the last line of Young’s statement when he pulled out of Spotify: “I am happy and proud to stand in solidarity with the frontline health care workers who risk their lives every day to help others.”

Rogan has vowed to do better at counterbalancing controversial guests. He could start by offering his listeners a 186-minute episode with intensive care nurses and doctors about what this pandemic of the unvaccinated has done to them.

That would be a teaching moment, not only about Covid, but also about putting our responsibilities to one another — and especially to those who care for us — at least on a par with our right to be as dumb and selfish as we want to be.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3