Michael Cohen Investigation

DanTheHorn

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He reported the Stormy payment (through Cohen) yesterday.  I assume you are correct he failed to do so under oath, probably multiple times.

Ethics head that sent letter to Rosenstein was Trump appointee after original ethics guy bailed.

If Don Jr. called someone before and after the Russia meeting, does anyone not believe it was his father?   He's conveniently saying he doesn't remember but come on.  Trump may get lucky in terms that it may be impossible to prove one way or another.

Whenever anyone says that zero collusion has been proven, the Russian meeting is the proof out of Don Jr's own mouth.  He attempted to collude and the only reason it wasn't more blatant is because the Russian govt didn't have much dirt on Hillary.   And since collusion itself isn't a crime but rather an ethical/political issue, attempted collusion is the same actual collusion.   Trump's campaign is guilty of it, and perhaps Trump himself if Don Jr. can ever be forced to tell to truth.     Buffers yeah the Family had a lot of buffers.

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

Hey my opinion has no consequences.  But IMO there's no way DOTUS has already corrupted enough of Treasury to accomplish what that would require.   And if he did, they would have deleted all three SARS for Cohen.   They wouldn't have left one that refers back to the other two.   This was an act outside normal procedures of specific scope.   Reeks of court order. 

It is possible that the first 2 were deleted before the third was filed and the 3rd was released before the conspirator got around to deleting it.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He reported the Stormy payment (through Cohen) yesterday.  I assume you are correct he failed to do so under oath, probably multiple times.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps-financial-disclosure-form-released-by-ethics-office-live-updates/

President Trump's latest annual financial disclosure form released Wednesday reveals something undisclosed on Mr. Trump's previous financial disclosure form -- Mr. Trump's reimbursement of his then-attorney Michael Cohen. The disclosure was made as a footnote in a section on Mr. Trump's liabilities.

The head of the Office of Government Ethics (OGE) flagged that discrepancy to deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in case it is "relevant to any inquiry you may be pursuing."...

A note in the document says "OGE has concluded that the information related to the payment made by Mr. Cohen is required to be reported and that the information provided meets the disclosure requirement for a reportable liability." This means that the ethics office deemed that the payment to Cohen, made in 2016, should have been reported last year.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Don Jr. called someone before and after the Russia meeting, does anyone not believe it was his father?   He's conveniently saying he doesn't remember but come on.  Trump may get lucky in terms that it may be impossible to prove one way or another.

He might, assuming the phone providers' records indicate cell/phone numbers that aren't directly associated with Trump.  If the blocked number calls were to then candidate Trump, if the number isn't like registered to him or whatever, there would still be some serious circumstantial evidence (which is real evidence, not the TV definition) to be gleaned from the call logs.

You seem to be assuming that the actual number that is blocked is unknown to Mueller, which definitely not the case.

I have no idea if the calls were to Trump or not, but if they were, we will find out about it,

I wonder what politics would be like if Hillary were president. Everybody thought it would be divisive, lurid and sensational, like Trump World is actually like. With a cackling castrating vagina instead of a small syphilitic dick. Otherwise they're both frumpy blonds who do politics essentially wrong. Anyway, I bet it would be boring, serious and productive instead of this extraordinary shitshow we got instead, like watching Angelica Merkel read. Hillary in action would make for bad TV. It would be CSPAN without the frills and thrills.This execution of the executive branch show otoh is media gold. 

I can't wait to see him dethroned.

• Like 1

The blocked calls were to Trump. It's confirmed somewhere in the Manafort case that Trump uses a blocked line for at least the Trump residence. Can the phone company still tell what number was called?

2 minutes ago, Pods said:

The blocked calls were to Trump. It's confirmed somewhere in the Manafort case that Trump uses a blocked line for at least the Trump residence. Can the phone company still tell what number was called?

I'm sure the number is available.  I couldn't tell you if it is in the phone company records or the White House switching system records.  In any case Mueller knows that info.

More important Mueller will know the whole truth.  I'm sure he has many, many more tools at his disposal to tell if Junior is lying.  We can't tell shit from our vantage point.

3 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

I'm sure the number is available.  I couldn't tell you if it is in the phone company records or the White House switching system records.  In any case Mueller knows that info.

More important Mueller will know the whole truth.  I'm sure he has many, many more tools at his disposal to tell if Junior is lying.  We can't tell shit from our vantage point.

Wrong. We may not know the specifics, but it is crystal clear Jr is lying. The only questions are what Mueller can prove. 

7 minutes ago, Pods said:

Wrong. We may not know the specifics, but it is crystal clear Jr is lying. The only questions are what Mueller can prove. 

Are you the Therepods from Shaggy?  You don't seem at all like him.  He was much smarter and much nicer. 

You just flunked logic.  My statement was not about Junior's lying.  For it to be false you need to show Mueller does not have many, many more tools.  Proving or disproving my statement does not say whether Junior is lying.  It says whether Mueller has tools.  Theropods from Shaggy would know that.

Maybe you're Theropods after five bourbons.

Edited by TahoeHorn
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Are you the Therepods from Shaggy?  You don't seem at all like him.  He was much smarter and much nicer. 

You just flunked logic.  My statement was not about Junior's lying.  For it to be false you need to show Mueller does not have many, many more tools.  Proving or disproving my statement does not say whether Junior is lying.  It says whether Mueller has tools.  Theropods from Shaggy would know that.

Maybe you're Theropods after five bourbons.

I think you mistook what he said "wrong" to. You said "we can't see shit from our vantage point." We can tell a ton of shit from our vantage point.

2 hours ago, scottsins said:

I have no idea if the calls were to Trump or not, but if they were, we will find out about it,

The one exception to that I can speculate about (but don't have telecom expertise to say) would be if the White House switching system is big enough and sophisticated enough (and I've heard it's really something else) to have all that capability you'd expect of the telephone company.  So the White House system, not the telephone company would have all the detail, and  the phone company or outside NSA type couldn't "break into" it.  In that case Mueller would have to get the number from whoever controlled the White House system.  And that might be a problem.

Just speculating without the facts.

Edited by TahoeHorn

9 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

The one exception to that I can speculate about (but don't have telecom expertise to say) would be if the White House switching system is big enough and sophisticated enough (and I've heard it's really something else) to have all that capability you'd expect of the telephone company.  So the White House system, not the telephone company would have all the detail, and  the phone company or outside NSA type couldn't "break into" it.  In that case Mueller would have to get the number from whoever controlled the White House system.  And that might be a problem.

Just speculating without the facts.

Arent you talking about calls before and after the meeting in trump tower with the russians?  Trump was not potus then.  The wh switchboard is irrelevent.  I would imagine that mueller has the ability to get the phone numbers if he wants them.

1 minute ago, sheeeit said:

Arent you talking about calls before and after the meeting in trump tower with the russians?  Trump was not potus then.  The wh switchboard is irrelevent.  I would imagine that mueller has the ability to get the phone numbers if he wants them.

Perhaps I misheard about Trump's blocked number. I thought it was in the White House.  I do not think a switching system other than the White House would stop Mueller from getting numbers.  But I'm guessing.

2 hours ago, ndawg said:

I think you mistook what he said "wrong" to. You said "we can't see shit from our vantage point." We can tell a ton of shit from our vantage point.

Yes, thought it was pretty obvious. Thanks for clarifying for Tahoe. 

Edited by Pods

2 hours ago, Pods said:

Yes, they can.  Mueller can subpoena them.  The committees could have done so, but did not.

47 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Are you the TahoeHorn from Shaggy?  You don't seem at all like him.  He was much less confrontational and more knowledgeable about old timey things like switchboard systems and segregation.

Maybe you're TahoeHorn after five bourbons.

I’m starting to question this myself.

just asking questions 

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Are you suggesting the end justifies the means?

The question was: How would a Hillary Presidency look different?  I answered that question.  I didn't suggest the moon was made of green cheese or that Moby dick is still a minnow.  Or whatever squirrelly logical extrapolation you make.

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I was talking to my buddy today about how much fun it must be to work for the Onion right now.  You don't even have to try and you can go way further than ever before.

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Are you suggesting the end justifies the means?

You're asking somebody that is fine with selling out the country about what a different alternative would look like and you expect a rational answer?  You may as well ask Putin since he bought the Republican party.  Look to threaten N.K. on any front--Putin will be there to offer NK his complete support. Same for Iran, Syria and any other country that he feels will empower him while undermining the US.  And they're fine with it.  They argue for every consideration for Trump while unwilling to grant any for a Democrat.  

The best answer right now is that gas is $3 a gallon here and it's not even summer yet and nothing is going to stir more anger than rising prices.  Transportation costs will rise and affect the cost of food, travel, and other basic necessities.  And who the hell knows what will happen with Trumps awful tariffs.  They'll break the shit out of everything and then maybe it'll get fixed by a Democrat which if prosperous enough will bring more apathy and memory loss from the general populace to elect another Republican idiot to repeat the whole process again.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Trump wishes he had thought of that one. 

I suspect Trump is the intended audience. Clown Trump's representative on Trump's favorite platform, using Trump's language. Degrade any remaining trust that Trump has in Rudy, with the intention of getting Trump to ignore Rudy's advice and get the Dotard to respond directly.  Do it on a Friday, to capitalize on weekend outbursts.  Last Friday he did his "formal notice" tweet, and Trump was able to restrain himself. 

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

I suspect Trump is the intended audience. Clown Trump's representative on Trump's favorite platform, using Trump's language. Degrade any remaining trust that Trump has in Rudy, with the intention of getting Trump to ignore Rudy's advice and get the Dotard to respond directly.  Do it on a Friday, to capitalize on weekend outbursts.  Last Friday he did his "formal notice" tweet, and Trump was able to restrain himself. 

I also like the use of "distracting" rather than "detracting".  Its the little things things that really pull off a good clown.  

50 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree he wants Trump to get rid of Rudy.

I suspect it's less of wanting to get rid of Rudy as wanting him to ignore Rudy, or any competent counsel.  Trump is known to blow up at his advisors.  I know Art of War is absolutely cliché, and by quoting it, I might as well be wearing a "I'm a douchebag" shirt, but...

All warfare is based on deception.

Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him.
If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. 
If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them.

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

I know Art of War is absolutely cliché, and by quoting it

It's cliche because it works.  It's based on fundamental human psychology, and the tactics that work with respect to same.  I use tenets from it all the time, with solid success.

In fact, I use the exact tactic you posted -- getting an opposing party/witness to lose their cool is a solid win at trial or deposition.

It's cliché because people quote it for anything from investing advice to taking a shit.  It's the Art of War.  It's about battle, but people try to apply it to everything. It's one of many, many texts on how to wage battle.  It's cool because it's written in the nice, concise form that seems to characterize old Chinese texts, and that makes it extremely quotable.  But people thinks it makes them seem deep or something. 

Otto: "Apes don't read philosophy."  Wanda: "Yes, they do. They just don't understand it."

Certainly I enjoy it and find value in it, it's just, well, gotten cliché.

Edited by Tuco

failing NY times:

Michael Cohen, the Trump lawyer, could face more pressure from the special counsel after his business partner agreed to work with prosecutors 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/nyregion/michael-cohen-trump-taxi-cooperation.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=67021960&pgtype=Homepage

A significant business partner of Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s personal lawyer, has quietly agreed to cooperate with the government as a potential witness, a development that could be used as leverage to pressure Mr. Cohen to work with the special counsel examining Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Under the agreement, the partner, Evgeny A. Freidman, a Russian immigrant who is known as the Taxi King, will avoid jail time, and will assist government prosecutors in state or federal investigations, according to a person briefed on the matter.

Mr. Cohen’s conduct was initially examined by Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel investigating the 2016 election that led to Mr. Trump’s victory, and then referred to the United States attorney’s office in Manhattan. Last month, federal agents carried out search warrants at Mr. Cohen’s home, his office and a hotel room where he was staying, seeking documents related to his business associates and accountants.

Mr. Trump’s lawyers have been resigned to the strong possibility that the investigation of Mr. Cohen’s businesses could lead him to cooperate with federal prosecutors.

That likelihood could become greater with a business partner of Mr. Cohen’s cooperating with law enforcement.

Mr. Freidman has been Mr. Cohen’s partner in the taxi business for years, managing cabs for him even after New York City regulators barred Mr. Freidman last year from continuing to manage medallions.

Mr. Freidman, who was disbarred earlier this month, had been accused of failing to pay more than $5 million in taxes and faced four counts of criminal tax fraud and one of grand larceny — all B felonies. Each carries a maximum prison sentence of up to 25 years in prison.

Instead, he appeared in court in Albany on Tuesday and pleaded guilty to a single count of evading only $50,000 worth of taxes; he faces five years of probation if he fulfills the terms of his agreement, the judge, Patrick Lynch of Albany County court, said during the roughly 20-minute proceeding.

“Do you understand the nature of the benefit your attorneys have accomplished on your behalf?” the judge asked Mr. Freidman during the proceeding on Tuesday.

“I greatly understand that and appreciate it,” Mr. Freidman replied.

After Mr. Freidman’s guilty plea, his lawyer, Patrick J. Egan of Fox Rothschild, declined to comment. But earlier this year, he said his client “considers Michael a very good friend and a great client.”