College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Last full weekend, we should finish up with 254 out of 294 match-ups between Power 5 teams having been played on schedule
That's 86.4 percent, case closed CFB 2020 is NOT in trouble. There will be a bunch more bowls canceled and even New Year's major bowls will have issues as players run home for Christmas and come back positive. But they'll find four teams to play semis and the championship, all of whom will be even more careful at that point. Trophy handed over and let's flush these awful memories

Yeah having a team that's played 5 games play in the CFP after their conference had to rewrite their entire rulebook for them is perfectly normal. Losing 2/3 of bowl games and having the Rose Bowl played at Jerry Jones' abomination of a stadium.. who doesn't love that? I'm stoked as fuck that 97 year old Mack's #10 UNC also-ran squad vs. Manny _iaz's #17 Miami is the premier game of the last week of college football. Talk about quality. And losing legendary rivalry games like Ohio State vs. Michigan and Texas vs. Kansas? Who cares?!

You're killing it chief. Keep up the good work.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Or Colorado in the Pac title game to face USC??

Colorado lost last weekend.

The conference should declare USC the champion and have Oregon play Colorado, but that would make too much sense.

Instead they'll run the risk of a team that didn't win their division and lost their last two games to Oregon State and Cal claim a "conference championship" and a NY6 bowl bid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Colorado lost last weekend.

The conference should declare USC the champion and have Oregon play Colorado, but that would make too much sense.

Instead they'll run the risk of a team that didn't win their division and lost their last two games to Oregon State and Cal claim a "conference championship" and a NY6 bowl bid.

I hope it happens tbh 

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

then there shouldn't be an acc or big 12 game either.  

I don't know who's arguing in favor of a Big 12 title game, but the ACC should definitely play one. Clemson's best player didn't play in the first ND-Clemson game.

I think you're trying too hard to hate on football

Edited by SwanderedTalent

I don't know who's arguing in favor of a Big 12 title game, but the ACC should definitely play one. Clemson's best player didn't play in the first ND-Clemson game.
I think you're trying too hard to hate on football

Well the logic on the ACC not playing would be that ND or Clemson are currently both playoff teams, while one could fall out if that game is played. Between that and the COVID situation, it would be the ACC asking “why play?”

But of course, TV money.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Well the logic on the ACC not playing would be that ND or Clemson are currently both playoff teams, while one could fall out if that game is played. Between that and the COVID situation, it would be the ACC asking “why play?”

But of course, TV money.

Yeah, I think I'm just arguing from personal greed. I would like to see that game played. I'll watch. Logically speaking, the ACC would be smart to spike it and dare the committee to leave Clemson out. 

Maybe ballsy more than smart. I guess if Notre Dame beats Clemson, we'll all get to enjoy not watching A&M's first playoff game. 

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Vanderbilt vs. UGA cancelled.  Assuming the 3 scheduled regular season games get played this weekend, the SEC will have played 68 of 70 scheduled games.

Texas A&M vs Georgia is the game to make, but A&M stands to lose everything if they do. As it stands I have no problem putting 6-0 Ohio State in over an 8-1 A&M team whose only good win was against Florida and lost by four touchdowns to the team they'd probably be playing in the first round. Instead of manning up and demanding the best opponent this weekend they're fine taking the easy win vs Tennessee.

Apparently, all Alabama players, coaches, staff, band, cheerleaders, and the mascot will receive the Covid-19 vaccine this week because the state of Alabama has deemed them “essential workers”.

This is one of those things you know is satire but a voice in the back of your head says “Google that shit” because you wouldn’t be surprised at all.

Also, side note, given the expected side effects, mass vaccinating the program the week before the conference championship probably not a great idea.

I'm normally a Leach fan, but fuck, this season has given me a tremendous amount of joy.  And not just because my school had historical success, but just the fact that so many games were actually played, and the sense of normalcy it gave/ability to be distracted by the giant pile of shit this year's been.

It's also kind of incredible watching people trying to act like this season wasn't a giant success compared to preseason expectations.  There have been far more games than predicted, with far fewer negative consequences, at a much higher quality of play than was originally assumed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

Mike Leach on the shitshow that is/was 2020 college football season

Well considering it happened because of a global health pandemic, assuming it doesn't happen again soon, I doubt it will have to be "repeated," although if it does happen again at least we have seen how it works and that its feasible, as long as you don't try to delay the season start and still fit games into a window without delaying the postseason.

On 12/15/2020 at 8:11 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

This right fucking here.

All of you complaining would be the first ones bitching your asses off if there were no games at all this year.

Deal with it or don't watch.

Yeah, getting some college football this year was awesome.  Just a little bit of normalcy and a break from the co start asskicking that is all of 2020 and reality. 

31 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Hot rumor that Ohio State has Plague again. Not sure how bad.

Will y'all please just forfeit the rest of the season so we can get on with hiring Urban Meyer and stealing half your coaching staff?  Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

I honestly hope Texas is able to play in its annual "at least you tried" bowl.  most of the dudes on the team have opted out to prep for NFL, so use this bowl game like an early jump on spring ball, see what the underclassman and those who didnt get to play this year because TH fucking sucks and couldnt garner a lead worth a shit to get playing XP  in a year where everyon e redshirts

• Hook 'Em 1