College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'd take the old poll & bowl system over a 16 team playoff.

I'd take it over 16,8,4, BCS, or Alliance.  College football was way more fun back then.

I'm not sure why so many people want to turn college football into the NFL, when we already have the NFL?

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Putting tOSU into the playoff is just pushing them through on the strength of the eyeball test. Nothing more.

Well, duh. The committee said that going in. This is the year of the pandemic in case you've forgotten. They said up front that the normal rules don't apply and the "look test" would play a role in the selection process. There are no minimum requirements for bowl eligibility this year. I don't know if they will but Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska can all go bowling. 

Ohio State was in the playoff last year. They're still loaded with talent. They'd be favored over all but just a few teams and Notre Dame isn't one of them.

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Plenty of teams will do the same and a lot of players will if the team doesn't.

I expect you're right, but conferences have legal contracts with various bowls.   I know that many bowls have canceled, but since I expect more teams to make a statement that they're "opting out" of the postseason, it'll be interesting to see if the remaining bowls, end up having enough "desirable" teams to choose from.  Could be some contentious legal battles in the near future.

Or maybe the vast majority of the bowls will cancel and it won't be an issue...

I think we'll see a lot of them canceled.  schools usually lose money on these things and it'll be worse this year with fewer/no fans.  a lot of schools won't be able to justify another game at a loss.  add to that the players that will opt out plus the ones that don't give a shit about protocols after 4 months and it'll be pretty ugly football.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

I think we'll see a lot of them canceled.  schools usually lose money on these things and it'll be worse this year with fewer/no fans.  a lot of schools won't be able to justify another game at a loss.  add to that the players that will opt out plus the ones that don't give a shit about protocols after 4 months and it'll be pretty ugly football.

Schools lose money but it's still the conference's obligation, legally signed contracts and all.

I suspect for this season, though, the various parties are going to grant each other a great deal of leeway.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The conference championship game is already set. There really is no reason for the other games to be played. I give zero shits if we beat or lose to baylor this weekend. Really doesn't matter, at all.

I don't feel that way at all.  In a normal non-hating-Tom-Herman year, I want to watch my team play football every chance we can get.  I want to beat the shit out of Baylor.  Or Kansas.  Or whoever.  Even when my team isn't vying for the conference championship (which for the past decade, has been most years) I still want to watch my team play.  

The games are the whole point, not some ridiculous beauty pageant set up by ESPN's selection committee.  The actual games are what I enjoy and what I want to watch.  The stuff happening between the white lines, not all that soap opera crap that happens outside of them.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't feel that way at all.  In a normal non-hating-Tom-Herman year, I want to watch my team play football every chance we can get.  I want to beat the shit out of Baylor.  Or Kansas.  Or whoever.  Even when my team isn't vying for the conference championship (which for the past decade, has been most years) I still want to watch my team play.  

The games are the whole point, not some ridiculous beauty pageant set up by ESPN's selection committee.  The actual games are what I enjoy and what I want to watch.  The stuff happening between the white lines, not all that soap opera crap that happens outside of them.

Any other year, I agree. But with 'rona going crazy again, there really is no point. I'd even be open to cancelling everything at this point, but since we started down this path, I'm generally okay with playing the games that matter. But I would have gotten rid of fans in the stands a month ago. 

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Any other year, I agree. But with 'rona going crazy again, there really is no point. I'd even be open to cancelling everything at this point, but since we started down this path, I'm generally okay with playing the games that matter. But I would have gotten rid of fans in the stands a month ago. 

I will continue to disagree with this.  I'm thankful for every game we've gotten in during this corona-infested year, and I want to see as many more as possible.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'd take it over 16,8,4, BCS, or Alliance.  College football was way more fun back then.

I'm not sure why so many people want to turn college football into the NFL, when we already have the NFL?

The best thing about the BCS was that it made me interested in all of college football. Before that I really only watched Big Ten and PAC-10 games. I never watched Texas-OU, never watched FSU-Miami, never watched Alabama-Tennessee (back when that was an actual rivalry which it isn't anymore because you can't have a real rivalry with a cross-divisional opponent).

Back then my football reality was: beat Michigan, win the Big Ten, play the PAC-10 champ in the Rose Bowl and let the pollsters name their national champions. I didn't care if they named multiple champions like they did in 1970 when both Texas and Ohio State were named champs. I didn't care about national championships at all. I figure the Buckeyes are going to win some championships regardless of the system. And back then we didn't have the internet so we didn't hear the bitching from other fans around the country so who cared? I don't let that bother me just because I can hear it now. 

The BCS made all of college football more interesting while preserving the value of the bowls. I love bowl season and it was better before the playoff. I was surprised by how much and how quickly the four team playoff devalued the bowls and I fear the eventual expansion to an eight team playoff will kill them off completely. With the BCS, we let the seniors take their finals, spend the holiday with their families, then play one last game for dear old State U before heading off to the next level. These are real people with futures. It's not a video game meant strictly for our entertainment. The more postseason games we ask of these young men, the greater the risk of some of them suffering career ending injuries. And to the meatheads sitting at home just watching on tv, who don't donate to the program, buy season tickets, and attend postseason games, who just want more football for their personal enjoyment, I say fuck you, your opinion doesn't count. 

College football is inherently a regional sport. I think the BCS struck the right balance in making it a national enterprise while maintaining the value of the regular season, winning conference championships, and playing in a bowl if you had a winning record. 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The best thing about the BCS was that it made me interested in all of college football. Before that I really only watched Big Ten and PAC-10 games. I never watched Texas-OU, never watched FSU-Miami, never watched Alabama-Tennessee (back when that was an actual rivalry which it isn't anymore because you can't have a real rivalry with a cross-divisional opponent).

Back then my football reality was: beat Michigan, win the Big Ten, play the PAC-10 champ in the Rose Bowl and let the pollsters name their national champions. I didn't care if they named multiple champions like they did in 1970 when both Texas and Ohio State were named champs. I didn't care about national championships at all. I figure the Buckeyes are going to win some championships regardless of the system. And back then we didn't have the internet so we didn't hear the bitching from other fans around the country so who cared? I don't let that bother me just because I can hear it now. 

The BCS made all of college football more interesting while preserving the value of the bowls. I love bowl season and it was better before the playoff. I was surprised by how much and how quickly the four team playoff devalued the bowls and I fear the eventual expansion to an eight team playoff will kill them off completely. With the BCS, we let the seniors take their finals, spend the holiday with their families, then play one last game for dear old State U before heading off to the next level. These are real people with futures. It's not a video game meant strictly for our entertainment. The more postseason games we ask of these young men, the greater the risk of some of them suffering career ending injuries. And to the meatheads sitting at home just watching on tv, who don't donate to the program, buy season tickets, and attend postseason games, who just want more football for their personal enjoyment, I say fuck you, your opinion doesn't count. 

College football is inherently a regional sport. I think the BCS struck the right balance in making it a national enterprise while maintaining the value of the regular season, winning conference championships, and playing in a bowl if you had a winning record. 

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

OK, boomer

Hell I grew up when each team could only have 2 TV games a year (plus a bowl - maybe), so I watched whatever game was on and choose a side. This was the era that defined the blue blood programs, because they were likely the teams on TV every Saturday. So I picked a side and a rooting interest - Texas over A&M and OU, anyone playing Notre Dame, UCLA over USC, I even rooted for OU over Corn. Those were games on TV every year. But you had to scour the newspaper for scores and rankings, then Sports Illustrated for a summary.
Now I can watch 25 games a week (thanks to MACtion), see real-time updates online for any game, and piss and moan on message boards and social media.

I think there is an eventual expansion to 8 teams in a playoff - Power 5 conferences, a couple of Mid-Majors and an at large. Still makes winning the conference a priority.
And @Parliament - get off my lawn!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Damn imagine giving so little fucks. That you make it an entire season then just days fuck everything.   Bravo Herman horns 

Almost like a team that lost all discipline, after they found out their coach is a lame duck that's about to get shitcanned...

18 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

My preferred long term answer to the playoff would be to have G5 split off and do their own thing. Realign P5 into 4 super conferences (8 total divisions). The conference championship games would constitute the first round of the playoffs. Conference champions go to the semis. ND can join one of the super conferences or fuck off to the G5 side. 

This would completely eliminate any of the bullshit rankings, committees, “eye test” fuckery, etc. Just agree on a good set of division champion tie-breaker rules, and the rest sorts itself out.

Note: P4* and G5 sides would still play each other in non-con games. They just now have their own sets of playoffs/champions.

You think the G5's will be fine with it and sign off on that?  They'd fight tooth and nail to not be made the new FCS which would really ruin their programs.  

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What are the minimum requirements to identify a "true" national champion?

Don't be a dunce. There are too many teams, too few games, and no matter how large you make the field there will always be disputes over who gets in and who doesn't. Because the decisions about who gets in and who doesn't will always be subjective. You'll never be happy. We should've just stuck with the BCS and enjoyed the rest of the bowl season when those games still mattered. 

An eight team playoff is just a step on the way to the eventual sixteen team playoff. Then Alabama and Ohio State will be in the playoff every year regardless of whether they win their conference or not. Is that really what you want?

You're just saying that because it's rigged in favor of your program.  Ohio State always gets the benefit when it comes to it being decided off the field, simply because of its brand so of course you aren't fine with a system based on on-the-field merit.  Programs like Ohio State and conferences like the B1G, SEC, etc know that if we had a level playing field where the post season and program success and revenue was dependent on merit, that they'd see a more even distribution of talent and $$$ amongst the other programs.  .   It's about hoarding power and $$$.   

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Putting tOSU into the playoff is just pushing them through on the strength of the eyeball test. Nothing more.  Their resume is incredibly weak because they’ll only have played less than half a season.  Even with losses, plenty of teams behind them currently have better resumes based off of who they’ve played and how many games.

Florida, A&M, Cincinnati, Miami...all of those teams have shown more against more quality opponents.  

And I am completely on board that tOSU is better than all those teams.  They are, almost certainly. They just haven’t shown it on the field because of decisions made by the B1G.  They didn’t have the chance to do it.

So don’t try to justify the 2020 CFP as if the Buckeyes earned their place via their play on the field.  Just do a year of awesome NY6 tie in games and regroup on the CFP next year. 

This, it's all about pushing through a brand for the sake of ratings.  Ohio State could be 3-0 against the weakest teams in the B1G and they'd still force them into the CFP.  Their game against Indiana showed us that they are very beatable, that teams like UF, A&M, etc could play with them.  

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'd take the old poll & bowl system over a 16 team playoff.

I'd take an intriguing postseason resulting with a true champion over the old bowl system.  

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Every other level of football, including high school football here in Texas pulls it off each year without a hitch, yet player safety and finals, etc only matters on  the FBS level?  Bowl games themselves are merely exhibition games and the majority of regular season games are also meaningless since the P5 Cartel sees to it that only the same dozen programs should have a path to a national title rendering most games meaningless.  

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm guessing you don't actually attend games. You just watch on tv. 

Football or basketball? And that matters why? Oh and I catch as many home games football, basketball or baseball as I can and go to the ou game every fucking year. What’s your point here? 

14 hours ago, Fletch said:

Football or basketball? And that matters why? Oh and I catch as many home games football, basketball or baseball as I can and go to the ou game every fucking year. What’s your point here? 

Good question.

I attended every football, basketball and baseball home game for almost 40 plus years and now I prefer to watch at home.

I don't have to drive, find parking and spend way too much money on tickets plus I have a 3 TV man cave so I can watch all of the other games I want see.

I see no problem with that at all.

Good question.

I attended every football, basketball and baseball home game for almost 40 plus years and now I prefer to watch at home.
I don't have to drive, find parking and spend way too much money on tickets plus I have a 3 TV man cave so I can watch all of the other games I want see.
Because for some of us that still attend, it is the totality of the environment as to why we attend. And it is that environment that separates college football from any and all other sports.

And I would assume those of us that attend are more of the lifeblood of the program on total dollars contributed than those that don't. That being said, after 40 years, you've done your part. But thing of it is you want other life long fans to replace people like yourself in order to maintain the lifeline. My guess is we're chipping away at that in various ways.

Expansion of the playoffs and super conferences will likely further do so. Players opting out before the season is over will do so. I get why they do it, but it doesn't make the game better. Hell even our enrollment standards will erode the game over time specifically the failure to admit legacies.

Now as to expansion of playoffs, it still will not always be legit. I still say TCU takes out OSU in that first year. Prove me wrong. And as a ticket holder, you may have to make a decision. Can I afford three additional playoff games? Can I get off work? How do I plan for travel. Do I skip the first two in hope that we make the championship? Don't give me that bs higher seed gets a home game. You get the higher seed based on biases and that is a huge advantage especially at the end of the year. Honestly, you might win individually by cutting off your donation and only attending the premier games and playoffs. Games are simply more enjoyable and intense when in the company of passionate fans.

2005 was perfect for me the fan. It was luck that it turned out so. We can keep chasing this thought that it will better with more teams in a playoff. It all depends on the year. I would say if you're just watching everything on TV, you have no skin in the game so sure expand away.

Obviously all my opinion so I don't need any punks attacking me. Basically, my largest point is that it's all going to be flawed and chasing perfection or supreme betterment creates issues.

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Because for some of us that still attend, it is the totality of the environment as to why we attend. And it is that environment that separates college football from any and all other sports.

And I would assume those of us that attend are more of the lifeblood of the program on total dollars contributed than those that don't. That being said, after 40 years, you've done your part. But thing of it is you want other life long fans to replace people like yourself in order to maintain the lifeline. My guess is we're chipping away at that in various ways.

Expansion of the playoffs and super conferences will likely further do so. Players opting out before the season is over will do so. I get why they do it, but it doesn't make the game better. Hell even our enrollment standards will erode the game over time specifically the failure to admit legacies.

Now as to expansion of playoffs, it still will not always be legit. I still say TCU takes out OSU in that first year. Prove me wrong. And as a ticket holder, you may have to make a decision. Can I afford three additional playoff games? Can I get off work? How do I plan for travel. Do I skip the first two in hope that we make the championship? Don't give me that bs higher seed gets a home game. You get the higher seed based on biases and that is a huge advantage especially at the end of the year. Honestly, you might win individually by cutting off your donation and only attending the premier games and playoffs. Games are simply more enjoyable and intense when in the company of passionate fans.

2005 was perfect for me the fan. It was luck that it turned out so. We can keep chasing this thought that it will better with more teams in a playoff. It all depends on the year. I would say if you're just watching everything on TV, you have no skin in the game so sure expand away.

Obviously all my opinion so I don't need any punks attacking me. Basically, my largest point is that it's all going to be flawed and chasing perfection or supreme betterment creates issues.

I agree with you and I think it will be interesting to see how many people do not come back after getting used to watching on TV due to Covid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Good question.

live look at cave:

tenor.gif?itemid=5831365

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

spacer.png

the 1 year domer would have to actually earn it.  but they are 1 of the top 4, as are clemson.

just cancel the rest of the season and slot in domer/tosu and clemson/bama, and don't make anyone have to travel to frickin LA this year.

the rose bowl was played at Duke in 1942 because of pearl harbor and fear of a nipponese attack.  so there is precedent to move it.

oh, and watch aggy squeal.  acc holla.

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the 1 year domer would have to actually earn it.  but they are 1 of the top 4, as are clemson.

just cancel the rest of the season and slot in domer/tosu and clemson/bama, and don't make anyone have to travel to frickin LA this year.

the rose bowl was played at Duke in 1942 because of pearl harbor and fear of a nipponese attack.  so there is precedent to move it.

Sounds good to me. College Football this year doesn't have an asterisk - 2020* it also has a line through it 2020*

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

For aggy to get left out would be hilarious and add some joy to an otherwise forgettable year.  

My worry is someone gets upset and they slide in somehow (getting jumped by another team would be a spectacle on TexAgs).  

But if they did somehow make the playoffs, what if they won a game.  And Mond pulls off an epic upset?  That would be pretty 2020, wouldn't it?

Last full weekend, we should finish up with 254 out of 294 match-ups between Power 5 teams having been played on schedule

That's 86.4 percent, case closed CFB 2020 is NOT in trouble. There will be a bunch more bowls canceled and even New Year's major bowls will have issues as players run home for Christmas and come back positive. But they'll find four teams to play semis and the championship, all of whom will be even more careful at that point. Trophy handed over and let's flush these awful memories

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

For aggy to get left out would be hilarious and add some joy to an otherwise forgettable year.  

My worry is someone gets upset and they slide in somehow (getting jumped by another team would be a spectacle on TexAgs).  

But if they did somehow make the playoffs, what if they won a game.  And Mond pulls off an epic upset?  That would be pretty 2020, wouldn't it?

Lol this fraudulent aggy team upsetting Bama? Not even in 2020

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Unfortunately aggy has a great chance of getting there if (and maybe even when) Clemson beats ND handily next week.  How do they not go unless Florida beats Bama, and that ain't gonna happen.  Even if ND would win, Clemson, being notSEC will get flushed down the toilet since an "ACC" team in ND is going to be there.

I'm rooting hard for coronav. outbreak in the ACC this week.

Edited by phdhorn