2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm just hoping the amount in-person voting and Biden's lead therein makes any talk about mail-in voting moot. I hope this is a raw buttfucking of epic proportions.

It's really the only hope.

It's like playing against a FB team that holds and commits pass interference like a motherfucker, and gets away with it because the refs are bought.  You just have to play through the holds and PIs and run it down their fucking throat.  But that means you have to perform at a much higher level than would ordinarily be necessary to win.

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There’s a sneering classism prevalent on this site.

For real though: I can afford to look at the big picture, while some aren't afforded that luxury because their position is so tenuous.  That results in classism for me because others make very disingenuous arguments that are very clearly born out of selfishness.  I try to keep that in mind because I'm from a very rural area full of dumbs that won't ever escape and won't ever have a credit score above 500, so I try to get myself back in their headspace a little which helps me understand their actions better.  

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint: Trump is a fascist authoritarian with an entire criminal political organization supporting him, and a stacked Supreme Court that has a debt to repay to him.

Thinking that this election is going to be determined solely by how many people vote for each candidate in each state is magical thinking.

I can't wait for you to regain sanity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

For real though: I can afford to look at the big picture, while some aren't afforded that luxury because their position is so tenuous.  That results in classism for me because others make very disingenuous arguments that are very clearly born out of selfishness.  I try to keep that in mind because I'm from a very rural area full of dumbs that won't ever escape and won't ever have a credit score above 500, so I try to get myself back in their headspace a little which helps me understand their actions better.  

Sure. I help people buy houses. That’s the American dream. About 10 times a year I have someone cry at the closing table and say I never thought this was possible, thank you so much for helping me make this a reality. And it’s massively rewarding? But I have 100’s of conversations where I tell people how to make it happen and give them a plan and they just don’t execute it. I’m not some sort of naive person who finds a nobility in poverty. It’s not easy to escape and you see plenty of poor people who will always be poor because they make poor people decisions and you can’t do anything to help them out of that. I’ve had family members die of drug OD’s and drunk driving crashes and alcohol abuse and make their lives miserable because of bad decisions. 
But, my parents made it out and that made it really easy for me. There is a lot of pain and very little opportunity in a lot of those downscale white areas (same with minority areas) and it’s the challenge of our times to try to figure out how to provide a path out of there. Deciding to not talk to them won’t do it. Blaming them for everything won’t do it. And you can’t fix the problem. But you can engage and ought the path out for those who decide to take it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Speaking of stealing the election

Relax:

The percentage of voters who could get caught up in a legal dispute over ballots being received after election day is likely to be small, Levitt said, and would only matter if the race in a state is very thin. But voters can nevertheless avoid taking the chance they become a "Supreme Court statistic" by ensuring their ballot is received by November 3.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Florida is the election night key (assuming no Texas shocker). Biden wins, it’s over, because his chances of getting to 270 that night with one of AZ, GA,or NC along with it skyrocket, almost to the point where there’s just no fucking world where he gets FL but can’t get to 270 even without one of the rust belt three that we’ll be waiting on (and are liable to be stolen by SCOTUS if close). Biden is right to be hammering Florida.

I half agree with this, it would be nice. Of course, any win in Florida will be extremely tight, and naturally Trump and right wing networks will just say "We're not calling it" all freaking night. That being said, starting off the evening with Trump refusing to believe results, and threatening to sue or demand a recount, and then having him have to do the same in PA (I realize they won't be able to announce night of anyway), and/or NC, and/or GA, etc, will be a hell of a shitty fucking look for those clownfucks. If every other state in the East comes with a message of "We don't believe those results" it robs them of any kind of credibility early, even in the eyes of some republican voters. I think that's probably the best case scenario in regards to Florida and some other states. Force them to pay their hand way earlier and more often than would be  ideal. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not some sort of naive person who finds a nobility in poverty. It’s not easy to escape and you see plenty of poor people who will always be poor because they make poor people decisions and you can’t do anything to help them out of that.

And it's so easy to write off poor decisions as "they're dumb, there's no hope for or helping them."  Dude.  So much of our decisionmaking is based on what has been modeled for us by the family and community around us.  I saw sound financial decisions, a priority on education, etc, modeled by my parents and the peer group they put me in.  I'd seen the plays run, so it was easier to run them myself.

If you took someone who'd never seen a football game to run a buttonhook route, or a post pattern, or to go for 2 on the PAT, they'd stare at you like you were from Mars.  That's why breaking the cycle of poverty -- and it IS a cycle -- is so damned hard, and requires concerted and multidisciplinary effort.  But fuck em, bootstraps and all that.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't think Brisket is crazy at all, I think he's been paying attention. 

we've ALL been paying attention. 99% of the people who post in here do so on the regular. There is some misinformation, but most of what you read here is pretty legit. While he's not wrong, per se, he is fucking annoying.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, texastough said:

Will you and/or Brisket outline how the violence plays out post election if Trump loses by a close margin?

Do you mean if Trump loses by a close margin and the Supreme Court refuses to intervene, or loses by a close margin and the Supreme Court steals it for him anyway?

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I half agree with this, it would be nice. Of course, any win in Florida will be extremely tight, and naturally Trump and right wing networks will just say "We're not calling it" all freaking night. That being said, starting off the evening with Trump refusing to believe results, and threatening to sue or demand a recount, and then having him have to do the same in PA (I realize they won't be able to announce night of anyway), and/or NC, and/or GA, etc, will be a hell of a shitty fucking look for those clownfucks. If every other state in the East comes with a message of "We don't believe those results" it robs them of any kind of credibility early, even in the eyes of some republican voters. I think that's probably the best case scenario in regards to Florida and some other states. Force them to pay their hand way earlier and more often than would be  ideal. 

I hear but Florida in 2020 is not Florida from 2000. They seem to be relatively good about finishing up the vote count early in Florida now. Perhaps there could be some delays due to technical problems and/or long lines. regardless even Fox News will have a hard time not calling Florida if their SoS says all the votes are in and counted. Now if it's a tight vote total, then maybe there will be an automatic recount that will take place later.

10 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Sorry but the logical disconnect between his position and what is actually occurring is Grand Canyon wide. 

There is always so much shit going on behind the scenes that 99% of the public never know. Some of it is just minor stuff, and doesn't really make a lot of difference, but that's not always the case. I know that House of Cards was fiction, but there was probably more  based on reality than anyone wants to believe. I don't think there's a cabal that secretly runs everything, but there's a lot we don't know, or want to know. 

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Do you mean if Trump loses by a close margin and the Supreme Court refuses to intervene, or loses by a close margin and the Supreme Court steals it for him anyway?

I can't speak for anyone else, but in this scenario, I'm taking to the streets w/ all the other outraged, disenfranchised masses and I'm not going to take a knife to a gun fight. 

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s not easy to escape and you see plenty of poor people who will always be poor because they make poor people decisions and you can’t do anything to help them out of that. I’ve had family members die of drug OD’s and drunk driving crashes and alcohol abuse and make their lives miserable because of bad decisions.

People stay poor because they can't coerce themselves into conforming to societal expectations. And for all that rugged individualism that Republicans seem to love promoting, I always tend to find a rather contradictory expectation of conformity underneath.

"Be whoever you want to be, after all, this isn't communism. But also be prepared to devote your entire existence to helping other people make money off of your hard work. If you can't do that, fuck you, because I bought into this system, and I'll be damned if I let you take the fruits of my hard work."

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Under any scenario I can think of. I can see protests, threats all over social media, etc. Perhaps isolated incidents of violence, looting, etc. But aside from some small town police departments, law enforcement and the military would never support trump. The powerful trump supporters wouldn't incite violence, bad for business. I just don't see it.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

A former close friend from HS is married to the (now former) police chief of Bullhead City.  She disowned me when she found out I didn't support Trump.  I get the feeling that town is exceedingly Trumpy.

So he's there for the narcissistic fuel

4 hours ago, horncyclist said:

From article above on Bloomberg's spending:

Howard Wolfson, one of Mr. Bloomberg’s closest aides, said the former mayor had recently asked his team to run a round of polls to see whether Mr. Trump had unexpected vulnerabilities that could be exploited in the campaign’s closing weeks. Up to this point, Mr. Bloomberg’s general-election activities have focused on Florida, where he has pledged to spend $100 million supporting Mr. Biden.

The Bloomberg team conducted polling in a number of states over the weekend and came away convinced that Texas and Ohio represented its best targets — narrowly divided electoral prizes where the war for television airtime is not already cluttered with heavy advertising on either side. The team presented Mr. Bloomberg with the numbers on Monday morning and he gave the go-ahead.

Texas being called for Biden on election night to put him over the top would feel so fucking good.

spacer.png

(In case you forgot.)

These lawsuits are going to look ridiculous if Biden is ahead on election day in places like Pennsylvania and others.

They are all based on the assumption that Trump will be ahead and that Biden will need all of the mail in votes counted in order to take the lead. 

I'm not sure that assumption is what is going to occur.

8 minutes ago, texastough said:

Under any scenario I can think of. I can see protests, threats all over social media, etc. Perhaps isolated incidents of violence, looting, etc. But aside from some small town police departments, law enforcement and the military would never support trump. The powerful trump supporters wouldn't incite violence, bad for business. I just don't see it.

If the margin is remotely contestable, Trump will contest, AND he will give his deranged supporters the green light for violence(we've all heard his dog whistles -- they will become even more overt). Some of them will take him up on it.  There will be attacks on what are perceived to be "liberal enclaves," on minorities (stay out of border town Wal-marts), and I wouldn't be surprised at all by violence against governors, judges, etc. who they see as presenting an impediment (a governor who intervenes in a suit to have ballots counted, a judge who issues a preliminary ruling allowing them to be counted, etc.).  That's how the violence plays out.

Oh, and I think that the chances of Biden being assassinated are higher than for any presidential candidate in recent memory.  Not a 100% thing, but the risk is materially higher than it's been, even for Obama.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and I think that the chances of Biden being assassinated are higher than for any presidential candidate in recent memory.  Not a 100% thing, but the risk is materially higher than it's been, even for Obama.

What would you put the chances at for someone taking a shot at a SCOTUS justice, out of curiosity? 

Edited by Anastasis

2 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I don't guess anyone really knows how to "bloody revolution" but I imagine there is a lot of "learn as you go" involved.

And, this.

If, for example, it's obvious to all that more people voted for Biden in the right states to win, and the SCOTUS finds some bullshit reason to toss out the right votes to change the result.....people will be figuring out how to resort to violent revolution, learning along the way.

I mean, there can and should also be general strikes, shutting down all transportation and commercial infrastructure, etc......but there will also be violence.

22 minutes ago, texastough said:

Will you and/or Brisket outline how the violence plays out post election if Trump loses by a close margin?

The Trump Navy, his ground forces of Proud Bois, Electric Boogaloos, and Illinois Nazis, coupled with his intelligence command of Q-annon operatives are going to start shit.