2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:Y'all think you're witnessing the death of American democracy. What you're really witnessing is the last gasps of a dying movement before it fades into irrelevance.

This is exactly true. Dead cat bounce and raging against the dying of the end of one age and the beginning of the next. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Why?  Not being snarky, I think packing the court is the best way forward, but what is the rationale between tying the # of SCOTUS seats to the # of courts of appeals?  It just feels good?  Is there a pragmatic or technical justification?

Because it was done that way historically.

It settled at 6 but then a 7th Justice was added when the 7th Circuit was added. Then two more circuits were added and two Justices to match. That's why there are 9.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

It settled at 6 but then a 7th Justice was added when the 7th Circuit was added. Then two more circuits were added and two Justices to match. That's why there are 9.

Republicans changed the number to 8 in 2016, and then changed it back to 9 once Trump took office. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

You know what GOPers like more than Trump? Money. And high stock prices. 

Do you know what the markets don’t like? Uncertainty and anything even approaching “civil war”. 

The powers that be behind the Trump movement (Murdoch, Kochs, Adelson, etc etc etc) will not like seeing what happens to their portfolios if Trump tries to stay in power. For better or worse, self-interest will drive a peaceful transition at the end of the day, in my very humble opinion.

This is what I keep coming back to. Too many people have way more to lose from total chaos than they do from a Joe Biden election, and they know that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Just before game seven of the Tampa World Series?   Bold strategy, Cotton. 

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well, it seems a bit of a tautology, but OK.  It's obviously not set in stone, 'cause we're at 9 & 13.

Well, it seems a bit of a tautology, but OK.  It's obviously not set in stone, 'cause we're at 9 & 13.

Sure, it would just be political BS but that's the game that has been declared.

Besides, the people who set the number of Justices to match the number of Circuits were Founding Fathers. That should be included in the messaging. Thomas Jefferson was President when the 7th seat was added in order to match the number of circuit courts.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have started to come to the conclusion that there's going to be some sort of bargain to avoid court packing done between Roberts and Biden.  Roberts is an institutionalist, and more than anything he's going to want to avoid court packing because it will undermine the authority and role of the Supreme Court.  So I think Roberts will agree that he and Thomas will retire in exchange for no court packing.

And this kind of stick is exactly what will be needed to get Thomas on board with that bargain.

How about Thomas, Kavanaugh, Alito, and Barrett instead?

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why?  Not being snarky, I think packing the court is the best way forward, but what is the rationale between tying the # of SCOTUS seats to the # of courts of appeals?  It just feels good?  Is there a pragmatic or technical justification?

It was the justification the last time the court expanded, and thusly it's the most unassailable reason now, imo. There's precedent. There's a need to update the number to match past precedents. "What guys, this isn't the first time we've had to do this, and the reason we expanded last time is just as relevant as it is today." It's a lot more logical than "Well this time we have a senate that matches the white house political party." Everyone knows what's happening, but it's the path of least resistance, imo. At least that's my read. 

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

From the article, they are putting everything they have into Michigan, Minnesota, Penn, and Ohio

Overall, I'd definitely say this is good news. The best news is that his campaign spending is confirmed what we already know: Trump has to keep Ohio and either flip or keep PA. Great, but no matter what he says in polling at a rally, follow the dollars to find reality, and he's confirmed it for certain.

The pessimist in me would say that abandoning Florida spending would indicate to me he already thinks he's one there, because there's equally zero chance of a victory without Florida. Outside of straight penury, is there any reason he wouldn't just be gambling on Ohio, and move his money to PA and keep some in Florida? Why spend in Michigan or Minn? Do they have drastically different polling?

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

From the article, they are putting everything they have into Michigan, Minnesota, Penn, and Ohio

Surprising move considering how close the public polls are in Florida, but it's possible he has internals showing more strength there than what we know.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Sure, it would just be political BS but that's the game that has been declared.

Besides, the people who set the number of Justices to match the number of Circuits were Founding Fathers. That should be included in the messaging. Thomas Jefferson was President when the 7th seat was added in order to match the number of circuit courts.

A little googling indicates the 10th circuit COA was created in 1929.  Seems like a long time ago.  11-13 followed much later.

I get the argument, but we've been doing it a different way for over 90 years.

A little googling indicates the 10th circuit COA was created in 1929.  Seems like a long time ago.  11-13 followed much later.

I get the argument, but we've been doing it a different way for over 90 years.

The Senate had been advising and consenting to a President's nomination for a lot longer than 90 years before 2016.

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Surprising move considering how close the public polls are in Florida, but it's possible he has internals showing more strength there than what we know.

I guarantee you the polls his campaign actually shows Trump have him winning in every battleground state. 

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think they are just broke and can't challenge Bloombergs money

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Was 48-42 last month. Only 4% undecided between Trump and Biden. Rest indicated third-party support or not planning to vote.

FWIW, Biden +5 or 6 would be my guess for final NV result as of this morning. Something like 50.5-45-4.5

And, right on cue, Ralston's latest blog update lines up pretty closely with the NYT poll. Biden +6, give or take, based on turnout and how indie vote splits. Each scenario in his model so far still comes up with a Biden win between 4-8 points.

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/the-early-voting-blog-3

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

Trumpkins will believe what Fox News tells them to believe.

Fox News is in NYC.  How long do you think they continue to broadcast if the center fails? And despite all of their fuckery, they still tell their viewers that individual freedom and liberty are primary.  That's ingrained in our populace. This is the main difference between us and populations that have obedience and order as their bedrock.  Americans are carved out of the wood of disobedience and rebellion. It's what makes us assholes. It's what makes us free.

Fascists lose. Every time. 

Don't be afraid of Poor Boys in matching outfits..  Don't be afraid of obese militia soldiers that will drop dead from a heart attack after 2 klicks. Don't be afraid of cowardly racist people trembling in Idaho when they see melanin.  Don't be afraid of the Chad and Karen naval brigade that swamps their own boats. 

Be vigilant. Be prepared.  Be ready to do your part to refresh the tree.  It might require a brief hiatus from the America of slovenly detachment that we've lived in for all of our lives.  It might require the blood of both tyrants and patriots.  But in the long run, the American democratic viewpoint keeps winning. 

Fascists lose. Every time.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Fox News is in NYC.  How long do you think they continue to broadcast if the center fails? And despite all of their fuckery, they still tell their viewers that individual freedom and liberty are primary.  That's ingrained in our populace. This is the main difference between us and populations that have obedience and order as their bedrock.  Americans are carved out of the wood of disobedience and rebellion. It's what makes us assholes. It's what makes us free.

Fascists lose. Every time. 

Don't be afraid of Poor Boys in matching outfits..  Don't be afraid of obese militia soldiers that will drop dead from a heart attack after 2 klicks. Don't be afraid of cowardly racist people trembling in Idaho when they see melanin.  Don't be afraid of the Chad and Karen naval brigade that swamps their own boats. 

Be vigilant. Be prepared.  Be ready to do your part to refresh the tree.  It might require a brief hiatus from the America of slovenly detachment that we've lived in for all of our lives.  It might require the blood of both tyrants and patriots.  But in the long run, the American democratic viewpoint keeps winning. 

Fascists lose. Every time.

They do.

The only question is the price.

35 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I guarantee you the polls his campaign actually shows Trump have him winning in every battleground state. 

Yep. Trump probably believes the fake polls he's shown to make him feel happy. And then relies on them to direct the campaign. No one's brave enough to tell them they're fake.

More likely, the campaign's about broke and they have to take toss up states for granted to have spend to make up ground in states where they're farther behind like PA. Make no mistake, all signs point to Trump losing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Another powerful ad from TLP...wow.

What's fucked up about that ad is that it shouldn't be a political ad.  Pull the last lines about voting for Biden, and add in some lines about maintaining social distancing and wearing masks, to reduce the number of families that have to go through this shit, and put it out as a PSA.  That is an ad the government should be running, not running from.  But the traitors are more worried about maintaining power than protecting people. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Tuco said:

What's fucked up about that ad is that it shouldn't be a political ad.  Pull the last lines about voting for Biden, and add in some lines about maintaining social distancing and wearing masks, to reduce the number of families that have to go through this shit, and put it out as a PSA.  That is an ad the government should be running, not running from.  But the traitors are more worried about maintaining power than protecting people. 

Exactly. The lack of a national education campaign on simple shit we could all be doing to get this under control is infuriating. We do not have to be where we are now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, G650 said:

I don't know if this is legit, but it's a reply to the Bloomberg article saying they are pulling spending from FL.

Screenshot-20201027-155321-Twitter.jpg

if a boxer knows the ref is going to raise his hand at the end regardless of what happens, then no need for his corner to keep score of each round.

Trump has basically shown his hand.  he doesn't care what the polls show.  ACB is the 9th justice, so he's just gonna have SCOTUS give him the win.

but the fatal flaw in both of these strategies is if the boxer/Trump gets knocked the fuck out.  Biden needs the KO victory.

tenor.gif?itemid=6123728

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, G650 said:

I think they are just broke and can't challenge Bloombergs money

This.  They can't afford to get into an ad battle with Bloomberg - so they'll take their checks up north and try to see if they can make some more noise in the Rust Belt.  Trump and his circle have grifted the campaign so hard that they can no longer afford to run ads every place they need to.

19 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Yep. Trump probably believes the fake polls he's shown to make him feel happy. And then relies on them to direct the campaign. No one's brave enough to tell them they're fake.

More likely, the campaign's about broke and they have to take toss up states for granted to have spend to make up ground in states where they're farther behind like PA. Make no mistake, all signs point to Trump losing.

I don't think it's that they're relying on fake polls.  I think they're relying on very real math.

They need both PA and FL.  They're behind in both.  But they're behind a lot further in PA than they are in FL.  And they only have the resources to fight in one or the other.

If they win Florida but lose Pennsylvania, it really doesn't matter.  So they're better off assuming that there's a polling error in Florida and that it will work itself out, and focusing everything on PA at this point.  Because conceding Pennsylvania isn't a viable option when every poll shows them down 5.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

Y’all are talking about civil war and poor people while I’m looking forward to Trump getting his ass kicked a week from today. This isn’t going to be close.

The next ten years will see the G.O.P. lose a ton of power. They’ll have to shift to the left to remain relevant. If the Supreme Court starts acting like a little bitch, Congress will show them why Article 1 comes before Article 3.

This. I feel like the democrat party will become the new right and the Green Party will be the new left. Or similar. Country is moving left. 
after the gop lose the executive and the senate, they will be, what’s the word...levered bigly. They’ll be lucky if coercing Thomas’ retirement is all that happens and that they actually get something in exchange. 
otherwise, maybe Thomas accidentally gets served a Bacon, Lettuce and Thallium sandwich one day by a friend of the program. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I half agree with this, it would be nice. Of course, any win in Florida will be extremely tight, and naturally Trump and right wing networks will just say "We're not calling it" all freaking night. That being said, starting off the evening with Trump refusing to believe results, and threatening to sue or demand a recount, and then having him have to do the same in PA (I realize they won't be able to announce night of anyway), and/or NC, and/or GA, etc, will be a hell of a shitty fucking look for those clownfucks. If every other state in the East comes with a message of "We don't believe those results" it robs them of any kind of credibility early, even in the eyes of some republican voters. I think that's probably the best case scenario in regards to Florida and some other states. Force them to pay their hand way earlier and more often than would be  ideal. 

Most trump supporters are stupid and will blindly follow or believe dear leader when he complains about the results. Even if it’s a lopsided blowout in favor of Biden.

• Hook 'Em 1