Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Someone didn't tell Shaka. 10-49 from his 3 upperclassmen guards and has  no one else on his bench he can play. Amazing you get 18 steals and still shoot 25%

So looking at the remaining schedule.

@KSU - W

TCU - W

@OU - L

@ISU - L

WVU - W

KU - W

@TTU - L

If we somehow make up the other 2 games @TCU and @BU, that would be another 2 losses. So likely a 4-5 and a 15-10 finish.

Edited by HtownHorn

I'm almost to the point of hoping this current team keeps losing just so SHAKA has to be fired -- I really don't want Shaka to be the TEXAS coach when the new Moody Arena is opened...

15 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

How many years does Shaka have left on his deal?

After this season, only 2yrs left fully gty at $3.5mill/yr.

So buyout would be $7mill but would probably be paid out monthly over the next 2 years...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm almost to the point of hoping this current team keeps losing just so SHAKA has to be fired -- I really don't want Shaka to be the TEXAS coach when the new Moody Arena is opened...

welcome to where I was three years ago.  

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

After this season, only 2yrs left fully gty at $3.5mill/yr.

So buyout would be $7mill but would probably be paid out monthly over the next 2 years...

Seems doable.  I don't think Crystal has the resolve though.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Someone didn't tell Shaka. 10-49 from his 3 upperclassmen guards and has  no one else on his bench he can play. Amazing you get 18 steals and still shoot 25%

So looking at the remaining schedule.

@KSU - W

TCU - W

@OU - L

@ISU - L

WVU - W

KU - W

@TTU - L

If we somehow make up the other 2 games @TCU and @BU, that would be another 2 losses. So likely a 4-5 and a 15-10 finish.

We split Wvu and ku. 14-11 finish 

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We split Wvu and ku. 14-11 finish 

I predicted. 500 but then he beat ku and unc and I thought he might have something. I dont think .500 is realistic anymore but 14 and 11 is probably about right. AJ had a horrible game and I think he will have enough good games to keep them a few games above .500.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I predicted. 500 but then he beat ku and unc and I thought he might have something. I dont think .500 is realistic anymore but 14 and 11 is probably about right. AJ had a horrible game and I think he will have enough good games to keep them a few games above .500.

14-11 result  with all the veteran players and talent on this current roster -- feels like Shaka is just stealing money from UT.  

18 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Sure it’s been said but Shaka is not a good coach, the team can’t shoot for shit and Greg Brown is a shitty basketball player. (Great kid, freak athlete)

He's just not a big time college player. He has a good developmental toolset for the NBA but idk if I'd take him in the lottery at this point. Seems like a late first round guy. 

Edited by ztejas

20 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Sure it’s been said but Shaka is not a good coach, the team can’t shoot for shit and Greg Brown is a shitty basketball player. (Great kid, freak athlete)

have you watched more than just the one game? going to multiple threads to say that Greg Brown is terrible is showing your ass. 

All the potential in the world. Prototype build, size and athleticism. He will be a first rounder on potential. At this point he is simply not a good college basketball player. Can’t dribble. Can’t shoot. Can’t guard the perimeter. I’ve watched every game, hoping the game would slow down for him and he would contribute. Of course he has flashed a time or two this season but that’s very limited. 

Shot blocking is good. Vision seems good. Just a raw bag of athleticism, and probably shouldn’t be starting. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

GB III- per 40 averages of 20.8 pts, 13.6 reb, 2.2 blk. He's a teenager, and for the first time in his life he finds himself as a role player instead of the star. He plays 22 minutes per game, sporadically dispersed, in the toughest conference in America. Also, his HC is a moron who sucks at his job.

Yes, he's been inconsistent and has had shitty games, but if you're in here trashing him like this and saying that he's terrible, you either don't watch our games, or worse, you actually do watch our games and are still talking like this. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

GB III- per 40 averages of 20.8 pts, 13.6 reb, 2.2 blk. He's a teenager, and for the first time in his life he finds himself as a role player instead of the star. He plays 22 minutes per game, sporadically dispersed, in the toughest conference in America. Also, his HC is a moron who sucks at his job.

Yes, he's been inconsistent and has had shitty games, but if you're in here trashing him like this and saying that he's terrible, you either don't watch our games, or worse, you actually do watch our games and are still talking like this. 

There's no point in using per 40 averages when he's playing 22 mins per game. If he was better he would be playing more. Shaka blows but I'm not sure what problems playing GB more would solve for this team. He isn't terrible but he's a perfectly average P5 college basketball player and I think we were hoping he'd be more than that.

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There's no point in using per 40 averages when he's playing 22 mins per game. If he was better he would be playing more. 

HA. if i didn't know for a fact that you do watch this Shaka Smart coached team then i'd be questioning that fact right now. Not giving minutes to guys who deserve more minutes is one of Shaka's calling cards. "if he was better he'd be playing more" never applies to a Shaka Smart team.

Also, you're discounting his per 40 stats because he only plays 22 mpg, when in fact you should be doing the exact opposite. The fact that this kid plays such sporadic minutes in a such a tough conference and in a brand new role should work against his stats, and yet he's still averaging 11.4 pts, 7.5 reb (1.6 oreb), and 1.2 blk per game. that's pretty impressive for a freshman who's 7th on the team in minutes. 

in conclusion- old76er, you're wrong, he's not terrible.

ztejas- the idea that he would play more if he deserved to is laughable and you know that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I expect Greg Brown to be an average college player at this point which he is because he is a freshman.

Matt Coleman's regression is damning.  How we are left playing Courtney Ramey so many minute is mind boggling.

The pure stupidity on turnovers is on Shaka. zero attention to detail and ball security.

Edit: and Sims inability to have any kind of post game as a senior tells me all I need to know about the capabilities of this coaching staff.

Edited by dcar00

If you didn’t think Shaka could duck this up that’s on you, not him.  
The buyout thing is stupid. We aren’t cutting him a $7 million dollar check on the spot right?  And when he gets another job which he will that’s offset right?

I haven’t watched an hour of total basketball with the team this year bc I said I was through with longhorn basketball until he was gone. 
I felt sort of bad early in the year, and now I still feel sort of bad that he’s our coach. 
I never thought I could be indifferent to Texas hoops but here I am. 
I fully expect him to be back. CDC is a giant gaping Vagina, by all accounts Shaka is a decent dude, and no major donor cares about hoops enough to agitate for change. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I kind of thought college coaches would have learned this about ten years ago, but here's a tip for all of them reading this thread:

if you're going to spend a scholarship on a one-and-done, play the shit out of him. 35+ minutes a game. Get everything you can while you can.

It's asinine that on a team with as many inconsistencies as this one has, Greg Brown is only playing 20 minutes. If this was a team built around reliable and consistent upperclassmen, assuming such a thing is even possible outside of Spokane and Waco nowadays, then I could see using him sparingly so as to reward the players who deserve to be on the court because they're doing things correctly. 

He and AJ should be playing as close to 40 as they reasonably can.

Shit, I'm not even a Greg Brown fan and I feel like he's being underutilized badly. Reminiscent of Myles Turner but at least when Brown's on the court, he's not being obviously played out of position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I kind of thought college coaches would have learned this about ten years ago, but here's a tip for all of them reading this thread:

if you're going to spend a scholarship on a one-and-done, play the shit out of him. 35+ minutes a game. Get everything you can while you can.

It's asinine that on a team with as many inconsistencies as this one has, Greg Brown is only playing 20 minutes. If this was a team built around reliable and consistent upperclassmen, assuming such a thing is even possible outside of Spokane and Waco nowadays, then I could see using him sparingly so as to reward the players who deserve to be on the court because they're doing things correctly. 

He and AJ should be playing as close to 40 as they reasonably can.

Shit, I'm not even a Greg Brown fan and I feel like he's being underutilized badly. Reminiscent of Myles Turner but at least when Brown's on the court, he's not being obviously played out of position. 

i was thinking of making the Turner comparison earlier. it's like both guys were/are being coached as if they're going to be here for four years. and shit, in a year with an already truncated schedule and games getting ppd or canceled left and right, it's even more of a reason to be getting the most you can out of him while he's here. 

Turner was better in college than GB. There was zero excuse for not playing him more. Greg should probably be playing more - I'm not dying on that hill - but he's definitely had some rough stretches - and on a better team. I don't think it's as indefensible as playing Myles 20 mins a game which I still think was a big factor in Barnes ultimately getting canned. 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Shaka is a bad coach but a major reason GB3's minutes have been limited is because he's been in so much foul trouble.

this is definitely true. of course it's also true that a good coach would probably take some effective measure towards correcting this issue. the number of charges he gets called for is ridiculous, and to this point it has not been coached out of him. this is where i truly believe that Shaka's very nature and demeanor work against him. i don't think he has the ruthlessness required to get the most out of his players. period. and i do believe that a certain level of ruthlessness is required to do so at this level.

this reminds me of the "people don't want to see how the sausage gets made" adage. a lot of UT fans think of Rick Barnes as an asshole, but his record is undeniable. He's been a success everywhere he's been, he's a top 20 coach in all time wins, and he's a future HOFer, and it's not because he was sending his players "i love you" text messages and hanging out with them in the dorms. he was and is ruthless when he needs to be, and that's why he has a three decade long track record of taking inferior teams unwanted recruits further than anyone ever thought they would go. 

Shaka does not have that in him. He just doesn't. again, people don't want to hear it, but sometimes a guy needs to be cussed out, and screamed at, and singled out, and embarrassed in front of his teammates. sometimes the entire team needs to practice two extra hours until the one guy gets it right. and it's not because the coach is an asshole with a fragile ego, it's because the coach is desperate to get the most out of his player, and everything else that he's tried isn't working. i doubt there's a single great player who's ever won an NCAA title without going through that a time or two. and i also doubt that Shaka has the ruthlessness required to get the best out of his players. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

and it's obviously not just GB with the charging problem. it's Ramey's decision making, it's Sims' timid play, its the entire team's shot selection, it's guys like Kerwin Roach and Matt Coleman seeming to only mildly improve from year one to year four, and so on and so forth. Shaka does not demand that his players improve their shitty habits or show any signs of growth and maturity on the court. that is who he is, and it is why we are who we are, and who we will be until his ass is shitcanned.

what kind of coach has Greg Brown shooting like this:

F64526C0-A68C-4C15-BCDB-24AE4116D000.jpeg

Greg Brown takes 9 shots a game and 4.1 of them are threes. that is so frustratingly stupid. how many close games have we lost this year? or under Shaka period? there are dozens of examples of small shit like this that all adds up to Texas never being near as good as they should be under Shaka. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Greg Brown takes 9 shots a game and 4.1 of them are threes. that is so frustratingly stupid. how many close games have we lost this year? or under Shaka period? there are dozens of examples of small shit like this that all adds up to Texas never being near as good as they should be under Shaka. 

Seriously how many total lobs has GB caught this season? We still can’t run a fucking pick and roll and we still have no concept of how to get elite athletes good looks at the rim. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

It's even worse with Kai. How many looks is he getting a game? 

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this is definitely true. of course it's also true that a good coach would probably take some effective measure towards correcting this issue. the number of charges he gets called for is ridiculous, and to this point it has not been coached out of him. this is where i truly believe that Shaka's very nature and demeanor work against him. i don't think he has the ruthlessness required to get the most out of his players. period. and i do believe that a certain level of ruthlessness is required to do so at this level.

this reminds me of the "people don't want to see how the sausage gets made" adage. a lot of UT fans think of Rick Barnes as an asshole, but his record is undeniable. He's been a success everywhere he's been, he's a top 20 coach in all time wins, and he's a future HOFer, and it's not because he was sending his players "i love you" text messages and hanging out with them in the dorms. he was and is ruthless when he needs to be, and that's why he has a three decade long track record of taking inferior teams unwanted recruits further than anyone ever thought they would go. 

Shaka does not have that in him. He just doesn't. again, people don't want to hear it, but sometimes a guy needs to be cussed out, and screamed at, and singled out, and embarrassed in front of his teammates. sometimes the entire team needs to practice two extra hours until the one guy gets it right. and it's not because the coach is an asshole with a fragile ego, it's because the coach is desperate to get the most out of his player, and everything else that he's tried isn't working. i doubt there's a single great player who's ever won an NCAA title without going through that a time or two. and i also doubt that Shaka has the ruthlessness required to get the best out of his players. 

Good post and there's definitely something to that. This isn't the NBA - your guys aren't going to just figure out how to win mostly on their own with just a little course correction. Coach Cal seems pretty buddy buddy, too, and his UK teams chronically underachieve.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Remember LSU in the Elite 8. Tyrus fucking Thomas got a top 5 pick because we couldn’t defend back door lobs. Somebody make Shaka watch that until his eyes bleed 

how many years have we watched Kansas average 3-4 alley oops per game against us on back door lobs? but nope. damn our personnel and what they're built for, we're just gonna have five guys standing around the three point line waiting for something to happen. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

how many years have we watched Kansas average 3-4 alley oops per game against us on back door lobs? but nope. damn our personnel and what they're built for, we're just gonna have five guys standing around the three point line waiting for their turn to jack one up

FIFY

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Looking at several mock drafts (including ESPN), Brown has dropped out of the lottery picks.

8 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Looking at several mock drafts (including ESPN), Brown has dropped out of the lottery picks.

Any chance he comes back? 
His athleticism is pretty damn high, he has some measurables and this is a pretty stacked class. Any chance he looks at a grade in the 20’s and decides with another year he can be a top 5 guy?  
not that is trust this staff to develop him or anything crazy like that, but in an alternate world where we actually develop guys. 
As I said I’ve been out on Texas hoops for like 3 or 4 years so I know nothing about him. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Any chance he comes back? 
His athleticism is pretty damn high, he has some measurables and this is a pretty stacked class. Any chance he looks at a grade in the 20’s and decides with another year he can be a top 5 guy?  
not that is trust this staff to develop him or anything crazy like that, but in an alternate world where we actually develop guys. 
As I said I’ve been out on Texas hoops for like 3 or 4 years so I know nothing about him. 

I suggested this early on in the season and got panned for it. I still don't think he comes back but it wouldn't be the worst decision for him. 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I suggested this early on in the season and got panned for it. I still don't think he comes back but it wouldn't be the worst decision for him. 

That’s because most of the times people making that kind of suggestion are morons. Oh- he doesn’t have 8 year nba veteran skills and he’s going #4 overall- he needs to come back. 
but- there’s a major difference in investment a team makes if you are mid to high lottery vs in the 20’s. It’s almost impossible not to get a second contract for the former, the latter wash out of the league inside of 4 years all the time. 
ETA- I have no idea which he is as I haven’t watched a second of him this year. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

It's the same thing as when guys were leaving(or transferring) from Tom Herman Texas Football. The staff has shown that they don't develop talent. And in some cases it regresses. So why stay and waste away? If you have a legit shot at the first round take it. And get professional training while getting paid. From there it's up to the player.