Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

10 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Now that’s all what CANDIDATES should do. But what should we, the intelligent and internet-savvy regular joes do?  

Start dialogues with reasonable conservatives who feel they have no choice but the GOP?

Persuade moderates that Trump is cancer and voting straight blue is the short-term chemo we need to save the US?

Start a meme campaign comparing Trump to the Antichrist?  (I’m shocked this doesn’t exist yet - he checks those boxes).

Forget about any conservative/Republicans. If they haven't been convinced yet, nothing will change. It's a complete waste of time and energy.

Focus on getting the apathetic people to go vote. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What is "moderation on abortion"?

Come out openly in favor of limitations, such as band on third trimester abortions.  Advertise that.  I every speech, announce that the Democrats are extending an olive branch and offering to compromise.  Then say “we support children, which is why we stand against the detention camps Trump has built.”

• Like 1

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Come out openly in favor of limitations, such as band on third trimester abortions.  Advertise that.  I every speech, announce that the Democrats are extending an olive branch and offering to compromise.  Then say “we support children, which is why we stand against the detention camps Trump has built.”

I don't know how much that will sway anyone.  The assumption will be that it's a temporary concession.  But, I could get behind it as a matter of policy.

Bans on third trimester abortions won't work. The pro-life side are True Believers. Conception, the formation of a human being, happens at fertilization according to them. They'll never get behind abortion "moderation" because it's a modern Holocaust  to them (see posters on this site and formerly on Shaggy).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I've never been more discouraged by what's going on in the country. I'm not sure there is anything he can do to have his party turn on him. The most recent primaries show that those who oppose him lose in the GOP primary. There's not a Republican running for office that dares to speak out for fear of losing at the ballot box. His antics have become the norm. My hope at this point is that November elections will flip both houses of Congress. If that doesn't happen I'm not sure we'll even recognize our country come 2020.

I'm actually glad this is happening. Not unsurprising either, the people that vote in Repub primaries are the Fox news crowd, not the Wall Street Journal crowd. Getting the full on Trumpers on the ballot in November will give the Dems a leg up on the moderate vote, which can hopefully sway a handful of the tight races. 

5 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Bans on third trimester abortions won't work. The pro-life side are True Believers. Conception, the formation of a human being, happens at fertilization according to them. They'll never get behind abortion "moderation" because it's a modern Holocaust  to them (see posters on this site and formerly on Shaggy).

You are focusing on the extremists.  I know plenty of single-issue abortion voters who aren’t full-ban pro-lifers.

The point is: we don’t have to win over ALL of the Trump voters.  Just some.  Find ways to do that without losing dem voters to the GOP.  That’ the key.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Won't work.  The abortion debate is a manufactured political issue that is designed to be immune to moderation.  In fact, the D position is already one of moderation; the other side will say it's murder unless all abortion is banned, and any movement towards them in compromise only strengthens that premise.  

The solution is to focus on the reality: abortion is not on the ballot; the policy is personal choice and not arresting women or doctors for making a choice. If you don't like abortions, don't have them, and use your voice to persuade women to make what you view as the right choice, but let's not arrest them. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

This is right.  So how do we do it?  How do we convince people - especially moderate conservatives and religious right types - to vote a straight blue ticket in November?  We need a thread to brainstorm on how to beat Trump and the GOP in 2020.

Have never voted straight D in my life but I will in the midterms.

I’ve never been embarrassed to be an American until now.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Won't work.  The abortion debate is a manufactured political issue that is designed to be immune to moderation.  In fact, the D position is already one of moderation; the other side will say it's murder unless all abortion is banned, and any movement towards them in compromise only strengthens that premise.  

The solution is to focus on the reality: abortion is not on the ballot; the policy is personal choice and not arresting women or doctors for making a choice. If you don't like abortions, don't have them, and use your voice to persuade women to make what you view as the right choice, but let's not arrest them. 

That is simply not true, in my opinion.  There are hardliners.  I have no illusions about ever getting their votes.  But there are plenty of reasonable people who believe (rightly or wrongly) that Dems uniformly support an absolute right to abortion.  

Those people will not be swayed by lectures about how their understanding of civics is mistaken and they need to get over it and vote for me despite my abortion views.  They CAN be swayed by a Democrat candidate looking them in the eye and saying “I’m with you.  Late term abortion should be illegal.  And oh, by the way, I’m also going to work to shut down those child internment camps the GOP built in Texas.  Let’s work to both protect unborn lives and the lives of children.”  

45 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I used to joke that I was a former Republican who would need to hold his nose and vote a straight democrat ticket in November. Now, I'm quite looking forward to it. Fuck every single one of them.

Can’t think of any Republicans that will be on my ballot in November who are worth a vote. 

Hey kids! Say, really sorry about that whole ripping you from your mother's arms and stuff. But, we're going to make that up to you today. It's arts & crafts day! Everybody gets to help build a wall!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Republican evangelicals need to shut the fuck up about this being a Christian nation. 

Many religious conservatives are pretty aghast right now.  I’m as big a critic of religion as there is, but not all Christians are hypocrites.  Most truly believe in the morality they preach.  It’s one thing to look past personal indiscretions as a trade for another Gorsuch. It’s another thing to ignore child prisons and forced separation. 

Trump is a moron and he’s pushing shit too far too fast.  He should have boiled the frog more slowly, but got impatient.  Those who saw this coming need to capitalize on his mistake.  Talk to reasonable, compassionate conservatives you know.  Tell them it’s okay to think this is wrong.  Tell them it’s okay to vote for the “other team” because we’re all on the same team now and we all share the same goal of stopping Trump before he destroys the greatest nation on Earth.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

To be fair, there are multiple murals of different Presidents in that WalMart.  Trump's quote is the most alarming, though.

They should get rid of all of them.  And I've always been a bit spooked by the eery Presidential photos that loom behind an Ambassador's desk or in other official federal locations.  Iconoclast the shit out of all of them.  They serve the country.  Put a damn flag up.  Save some money by not having to get something new framed every 4-8 years.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I think this is akin to enlisting for a war.  My grandfather didn’t want to risk his life flying a bomber around Europe.  He didn’t want to kill anybody.  But he signed up and went to war, not knowing if he’d win or even if he’d come back alive, because it was what he needed to do to help defeat evil.  

Well, you don’t have to risk your life to defeat evil in 2018.  You just have to vote for candidates who will stand up to Trump. You have to band together with Americans who, in more tranquil times, you might disagree with.  It’s temporary and it’s not what you’d usually do if the free world were secure, but it’s what you have to do now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

No. Trump, his supporters, and the current state of the GOP are evil, and they are a minority. Remember that in November.

Not all Trump supporters are evil.  They’re just ignorant and/or indoctrinated.

They are Americans too.  Never lose sight of this or your side will be no better than theirs.

This was their fatal mistake, labeling democrats as evil brainwashed communists that should be put to death.

If you hate them, they win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Not all Trump supporters are evil.  They’re just ignorant and/or indoctrinated.

They are Americans too.  Never lose sight of this or your side will be no better than theirs.

This was their fatal mistake, labeling democrats as evil brainwashed communists that should be put to death.

If you hate them, they win.

As individuals you are right. As a collective group you’re wrong. I should have made my post more clear. When humans form certain groups they can potentially become dangerous, as history has taught us over and over. The GOP has formed such a group of many good and bad, smart and ignorant, moral and immoral individuals, now working collectively towards a fascist cause under a narcicistic and basically evil “dear leader.” 

We should probably do a better job of teaching history in school. Oh well. Too late now. 

The United States in 2018 is basically a nationwide Stanford Prison Experiment, with Trump supporters playing the role of the guards.  

We’re seeing first-hand an ugly side of human nature that’s been observed before in the lab and in real-life places like Nazi Germany.  Hardline Trump supporters may not be intrinsically evil, but it doesn’t take much to talk them into it.

Edited by BrickHorn

31 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Many religious conservatives are pretty aghast right now.  I’m as big a critic of religion as there is, but not all Christians are hypocrites.  Most truly believe in the morality they preach.  It’s one thing to look past personal indiscretions as a trade for another Gorsuch. It’s another thing to ignore child prisons and forced separation. 

Trump is a moron and he’s pushing shit too far too fast.  He should have boiled the frog more slowly, but got impatient.  Those who saw this coming need to capitalize on his mistake.  Talk to reasonable, compassionate conservatives you know.  Tell them it’s okay to think this is wrong.  Tell them it’s okay to vote for the “other team” because we’re all on the same team now and we all share the same goal of stopping Trump before he destroys the greatest nation on Earth.

The Southern Baptists met with week and got down on their knees and slurped up Pence.  They're not upset at all about this.

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Republican evangelicals need to shut the fuck up about this being a Christian nation. 

“I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order. If you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then the Department of Homeland Security will arrest you and the Department of Justice will prosecute you. Having children does not give you immunity from arrest and prosecution.” Jeff Sessions today

Have never voted straight D in my life but I will in the midterms.
I’ve never been embarrassed to be an American until now.
Agreed. I've never voted Dem in a national election, but I will be now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LongestHorn said:

“I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order. If you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then the Department of Homeland Security will arrest you and the Department of Justice will prosecute you. Having children does not give you immunity from arrest and prosecution.” Jeff Sessions today

And  yet, you need to be in the country to seek asylum...

"To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States. You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status.

9 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Agreed. I've never voted Dem in a national election, but I will be now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Y’all need to start a movement.  Make it a badge of honor.  Make it something to be proud of.

I’m not kidding.

12 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

He needs to die a horribly drawn-out, painful death.

Rage....pure rage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LongestHorn said:

And yet he spent a lot of time in prison and according to tradition at least was executed for not obeying the laws of government 

I seem to remember someone else executed a few years prior for not obeying the laws 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with the government openly citing the Bible to justify policy.

It has a sharia law feel.

No, it was used to deflect their hypocrisy not really justify their policy.

BrickHorn is correct on his approach to the winning strategy for the Democrats.  I say this as someone who doesn't care if Trump wins or not in 2020.  In politics you can cling to your ideals and hurt your chances of winning or be more pragmatic and increase your chances at the expense of some of your ideals; you've got to speak to people's perception and not to reality.  This is the game.  It doesn't matter in the slightest if the democrats have a good & reasonable approach on abortion.  The perception of many single issue voters is that the democrats are pro abortion.  If you want their vote you have to address their perception.  Knowing that you are right in your own mind does absolutely nothing to change their vote.  Poor white people in the Midwest think the Democrats don't care about them anymore.  Again, it matters not what you think about this or how often you say sarcastically "yes, white people have it so rough in this country."  You've got to pretend to care about them and their thoughts even if you really don't.  This makes people more likely to vote for you.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

BrickHorn is correct on his approach to the winning strategy for the Democrats.  I say this as someone who doesn't care if Trump wins or not in 2020; oftentimes it's easier to see things more clearly when you have no interest in an issue.  In politics you can cling to your ideals and hurt your chances of winning or be more pragmatic and increase your chances at the expense of some of your ideals; you've got to speak to people's perception and not to reality.  This is the game.  It doesn't matter in the slightest if the democrats have a good & reasonable approach on abortion.  The perception of many single issue voters is that the democrats are pro abortion.  If you want their vote it makes no difference whatsoever if they are uniformed or being unreasonable.  Knowing that you are right in your own mind does absolutely nothing to change their vote.  Poor white people in the Midwest think the Democrats don't care about them anymore.  Again, it matters not what you think about this or how often you say sarcastically "yes, white people have it so rough in this country."  You've got to pretend to care about them and their thoughts even if you really don't.  This makes people more likely to vote for you.

Agreed, BrickHorns reasonable approach moved me. While I am not a Republican nor a conservative, I've never voted D at the federal level.