Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

42 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I don't think any past President should be giving the kind of speech he did today, but that is where we are.

In theory, I agree.

But in these extreme circumstances, everyone who loves this country needs to raise his or her voice.  And Obama is far more eloquent than most of us, and he's still got a pulpit.  I hope that was the first salvo of many.

History is watching us all.  We have to get this chapter over with, now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

All of this.  Don't make no damn sense.

Y'all aren't looking at the internal polling of his base back in South Carolina, who he has to keep happy to stay in office.  I've assumed all along he started playing footsie when he realized he'd get drummed out of the senate by his voters if he didn't play footsie.  

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Something has happened with Graham.  He was a vocal opponent of Trump, until one day they went golfing, and all of a sudden, he's Trump's bottom bitch.  He must've been shown some highly compromising pics/docs.  

A part of me thinks he's buddying up to Trump, so that he can be within what amounts to Trump's inner circle, and can keep tabs on what's going on.  Not a bad move politically for a leader in Congress,, but it stresses the separation of power between the branches.

Not helped that Mitch's wife works directly for Trump in a cabinet-level position.  

Mitch directly benefits financially from staying in Trump's good graces.

But Mitch also wants to be around after Trump is gone, and I get the feeling that if there are big things going down (think of the two Reps going down - Duncan Hunter, etc. but on a bigger scale), then Mitch is trying to hold everything together and keep the base happy, because if things get out of control, the GOP is finished for a few cycles (including his own reelection in 2020).

4 hours ago, Zavala said:

To me, it's strange to be an insider who is secretly pushing back against the admin, then brag about it in an op-ed.

Seems like it's just a setup really.

Feels to me partly like somebody who thinks it will be a "get out of jail free" card if things go south and the administration falls apart/Trump is impeached/etc.  They can then out themselves as the Op-Ed writer and say "SEE, I WAS TRYING TO SAVE AMERKA AND I WARNED YOU THINGS WERE BAD!"

But it also feels like somebody who is trying to justify sticking around to push their own agenda through.  The whole "I DON'T LIKE TRUMP, BUT I BELIEVE IN THE AGENDA, SO THIS OP-ED SHOWS I'M CLEARLY NOT LIKE TRUMP".

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

I am surprised that O has not waded into the fray sooner.

I don't think any past President should be giving the kind of speech he did today, but that is where we are.

Assuming he isn't in jail, or stroked out post presidency Trump should be REAL interesting.

he'll be busy posting on the shart thread

This National emergency has every potential to cause a disaster of immense proportions. Should that happen generations will look back with wonder that people didn’t proactively understand the causal effect of the emergency to the disaster. There is also a crisis in America.

The crisis is different than the emergency. There is a crisis of cowardice. The GOP majority are complicit quislings enthralled to a dime store Mussolini who they know is morally, intellectually and mentally unfit for his office. This crisis of cowardice is making the emergency worse because these cowards have chosen their tribe and personal ambitions over America and have failed their oaths to defend the Constitution.  They refuse to fulfill their oversight obligations as a coequal branch of government and have effectively obliterated the system of checks and balances that makes the American Republic work. I think it is important to think about the nature of the Emergency, the nature of the crisis and the possibility of real disaster as three distinct but interrelated metastasizing cancers . We don’t at our collective peril.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

At this point I'm almost rooting for WW3.  Let's just end this shit show.

I have a kid who's an alright guy, so I'd like him to be able to catch some more fish before it's all said and done.

I'd also like to get a blowjob from Penelope Cruz.

I'll settle for 1/2.  

Enjoy your steak, son.

7 minutes ago, ndawg said:

Based on his views on the GOP today, he must really regret pushing Palin on McCain.

He does tremendously.  He talked about her in relation to the 25 amendment recently.  And acknowledging they knew inside the campaign she was unfit for office and probably wouldn’t have served as VP in the unlikely event McCain won.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That IS the puzzling part.  It seems that the smart thing is to avoid the fray altogether -- you can't be accused by the base of attacking Trump, and you haven't tainted yourself to the rest of the world by being a Trump sycophant.

But maybe Graham has info that tells him he needs to suck up to the base.

I know, maybe there's some real sinister "beholden to a foreign power" shit going on, and these guys are circling wagons to protect themselves. But I just keep coming back to the Occam's Razor conclusion of them seeing their current move as advantageous to them holding onto power/their seat, and that's it.

They know the fix is in, the vote is rigged. We entered banana republic land some time ago, and they know it. They know the only way to keep power in a banana republic is to kiss the boss' ass.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He does tremendously.  He talked about her in relation to the 25 amendment recently.  And acknowledging they knew inside the campaign she was unfit for office and probably wouldn’t have served as VP in the unlikely event McCain had won.

Interesting. Can you point me to where I can find the interview?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll take a lecture by an erudite, thoughtful man of experience over a bumbling narcissist who fucks up everything he touches, every day of the week.

Unfortunately, 40% of the population just can't stand uppity blacks.

Think we'll ever see an episode like this with Trump. It would be HUGE!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ndawg said:

Wow, thanks. That is absolutely nuts!

I was looking for that exchange to post here. Really extraordinary.  To me, the most extraordinary part isn't that they knew and discussed internally that she was unfit. It was when he suggested that her illegal use of campaign assets gave him "peace of mind" presumably because they were a pretext to remove her from office if by some miracle McCain won.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Best I could find.

It’s hysterical  to think back to the morons around here defending that dipshit Palin.  I thought that was as stupid as they could get,  but here are and now they are cheering on someone dumber, Trump.   Idiots 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This National emergency has every potential to cause a disaster of immense proportions. Should that happen generations will look back with wonder that people didn’t proactively understand the causal effect of the emergency to the disaster. There is also a crisis in America.

The crisis is different than the emergency. There is a crisis of cowardice. The GOP majority are complicit quislings enthralled to a dime store Mussolini who they know is morally, intellectually and mentally unfit for his office. This crisis of cowardice is making the emergency worse because these cowards have chosen their tribe and personal ambitions over America and have failed their oaths to defend the Constitution.  They refuse to fulfill their oversight obligations as a coequal branch of government and have effectively obliterated the system of checks and balances that makes the American Republic work. I think it is important to think about the nature of the Emergency, the nature of the crisis and the possibility of real disaster as three distinct but interrelated metastasizing cancers . We don’t at our collective peril.

Every single word of this.  Every one.  We're playing with fire on, literally, a global level.  The potential repercussions are so immense that our current approach borders on suicidal insanity at best, and treasonous suicide at worst (and of course, I think it's the worst of these options, because that's how I roll).

I have made much of my life in what amounts to organizational failure analysis.  I pick through the rubble, and figure out the story -- how did this happen, what precipitated it?  Massive organizational failures/disasters are not really that unique -- they happen often, and there are common themes and causes that run through all of them.  The present case of the United States of America is no different.  We're careening headlong towards disaster, and nobody in charge will heed the warning signs and act for the good of the organization.  Based on those TWO truths (we're on a shitty road, and nobody with the power to detour us is doing a goddamned thing), the outcome is preordained.  It's all over but the crying.

4 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Very.  I actually like and respect Hunstman a great deal.  Sure, he's an elitist who likes to sniff his own farts (my man!), but he's smart, and he damned sure gets both geopolitics and the importance of institutions and norms.  We don't agree on everything (haven't seen a politician ever who fits that bill), but we agree on a lot.  He's a man of integrity, and, a notable ego.  I can absolutely see him as the author.  It's a genuinely interesting hypothesis.

Just now, Ted Lange said:

It’s hysterical  to think back to the morons around here defending that dipshit Palin.  I thought that was as stupid as they could get,  but here are and now they are cheering on someone dumber, Trump.   Idiots 

Related-ish:

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-lou-dobbs-george-bush-liberal-1111686

FOX BUSINESS HOST CALLS FORMER PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH A 'RADICAL' LIBERAL

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Related-ish:

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-lou-dobbs-george-bush-liberal-1111686

FOX BUSINESS HOST CALLS FORMER PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH A 'RADICAL' LIBERAL

Well, that IS where we are.  Look, there's one single thing that guarantees that you are a LIBTARD!  Here's the full list;

1 -- fail to be slavishly devoted and loyal to Trump.

That's it.  That's the entirety of political thought from the Party of Trump these days.  No other dimensions, no other thinking.  You're either a Trump loyalist, or a LIBTARD!

Jesus, we sure guzzled the fuck out of the stupid juice, didn't we?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ndawg said:

Interesting. Can you point me to where I can find the interview?

Someone on here (can't remember who) recommended the Preet Bharra podcast where he interviewed Steve Schmidt. Schmidt pretty much nailed what was going on today, and it was an excellent interview.  He also discussed his regrets at the Palin pick.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

No, sorry.  You’re opinion is one I hear a lot and it ignores the realities surrounding that election.

D2638F35-6AD6-451F-A1DD-0A5551483B46_zps

Palin came on in late August and actually gave McCain a fighting chance with a boost in the polls but then...

C249AACB-8AF8-49C9-A5CD-7F489807F788_zps

It just took a little time to find out how much of a fucking idiot she is.  It wasn't instantaneous (although in hind-sight, it should have).

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

At this point I'm almost rooting for WW3.  Let's just end this shit show.

Don't joke.   Remember when American Green Berets, Rangers, and Marines killed hundreds of Russian "mercenaries" earlier this year?

Guess what, the Russians will be in uniform this time.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/06/politics/syria-russia-attack-warning-pentagon/index.html

Russia has warned the US military twice in the last week that its forces, along with Syrian regime units, are prepared to attack in an area where dozens of US troops are located, according to several US defense officials. 

Russia claims that there are militants in the area protected by US troops.

Moscow's declaration has sharply raised US commanders' concerns that American forces would be at risk if a Russian attack goes forward, CNN has learned. And it has sparked US warnings to Moscow not to challenge the US military presence. 

Several US defense officials have told CNN that concerns center on a US-led anti-ISIS coalition base at At Tanf. US troops help monitor a 55-kilometer (34-mile) exclusion zone around At Tanf. Given its location near the borders of Syria, Jordan and Iraq, the At Tanf garrison is seen as a key strategic location as the US, Iran and Russia compete for influence in the region.

There is concern the Russians could use aircraft or their naval warships in the eastern Mediterranean to launch a missile attack against what they say are militants, sparking a confrontation that could inadvertently draw in US forces if Russian targeting is not precise. 

So far, no buildup of Russian ground forces has been observed in recent days, officials said.

US officials would not say how Moscow conveyed its warning to Washington. 

Defense Secretary James Mattis and Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, are aware of the latest intelligence, officials said. US troops in the area, as always, have the right of self-defense if they are attacked and would not need to ask permission from higher levels of the government before acting.

While the situation is described by one US official as "concerning," there clearly is US interest in discussing Moscow's warning to ensure the Russians have a clear view of any potential US military response. 

"We have absolutely advised them to stay out of At Tanf," one US official said. "We are postured to respond."

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seeing clips of the latest "rally" and man, his supporters really are missing a chromosome or two.  These motherfuckers are a threat to humanity.

Which ones?  The original ones, or the ones they replaced them with in real-time because they weren't mindlessly cheering enough?