Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

I thought WhatTheBuck's post was asking if people were (unfairly) characterizing the issue with Erdogan's security & protesters simply because most charges had been dropped.  My point was that not ALL charges had been dropped; i.e., it's still an active case.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dismissing charges against 11 of 15 doesn't seem like a complete exoneration.

What about the passage that said, "Criminal charges related to the incident against four of the bodyguards were dismissed last November while the indictment against the seven others was withdrawn February 14, the day before outgoing Secretary of State Rex TIllerson visited Turkey to meet with Erdogan in a bid to mend ties between the two NATO allies?"

Are you sure that any of Erdogan's thugs are still facing charges? I'm not. 

looks like two were sentenced, at least a dozen committed the attack on Erdogan's orders and the two sentenced were a limo driver working that day for Erdogan and a rando who drove down from NJ. Justice my ass. better than nothing sure, but Erdogan dragged his nuts over Trump's face and our country's values on this one. 

• Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

It still leaves that status of the other 4 cases unclear.  I think the reference to "the seven others" is in the context of the 11 cases that WERE dropped (4 in November, 7 in February).

Hell, I don't know.

it was, the article is awkwardly written. had to read it like 3 or 4 times to figure out what they were trying to say.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

It still leaves that status of the other 4 cases unclear.  I think the reference to "the seven others" is in the context of the 11 cases that WERE dropped (4 in November, 7 in February).

Hell, I don't know.

If there are still four facing charges, which is ridiculous because I saw a lot more than four on those videos, then I'll bet they're all safe back home in Turkey and will never be extradited to the U.S. As long as Trump is in office we won't do anything in response. We are pro-dictatorship and anti-democracy now. Plus there's a Trump Tower in Istanbul. 

I was just posting that because it happened a few months ago and I don't recall it ever being mentioned here or on Shaggy. It happened right around the transition. 

21 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Look, Trump is a handshake guy, ok? Old school. His word is his bond. 

I bet he could tell some tales.   He's probably under an NDA, but perhaps he gets out of it if Trump breached by not fully compensating him.    I see a big, quiet settlement in his future. 

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Compares the choice of nutrition that a mother elects to feed her infant, whether breast milk or formula, to the choice to terminate a human life...genius level stuff there...you sure got the GOP idiots in a corner.  

Analogy:  1 a : a comparison of two otherwise unlike things based on resemblance of a particular aspect

• Like 1

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

Analogy:  1 a : a comparison of two otherwise unlike things based on resemblance of a particular aspect

I'll mark you on the "thinks comparing the use of formula to abortion is a compelling analogy" side of the ledger. 

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Authoritarian get together.

Somebody needs to remind Trump that Obama and Erdogan were besties, that the US backed Erdogan when the military attempted a coup, and that Obama called Erdogan to give him a shout out afterwards.  Turkey will be kicked out of NATO by the end of the week. 

Just now, Gardner Barnes said:

Interesting response. Basically the rubes hardest hit by Trumps trade war think it is a short term issue.

I don’t think they understand how the Chinese work.

They also don't understand economics because they kneel at the altar of supply-side/trickle down Jesus despite 30 years of evidence that IT DOESN'T DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU IT IS GOING TO DO.

So yeah, they're just stupid.

• Like 1

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'll mark you as one who doesn't understand the definition of "analogy,"  even when presented with it.

Maybe while you are perusing the dictionary, you can also look up the work "compelling". 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

After his business fails, he'll be able to light and heat his house by burning printed copies of Hillary's e-mails.....

In all seriousness, these people are OK with this now but when they miss the first bank payment, shit will get real fast.  

• Like 2

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

After his business fails, he'll be able to light and heat his house by burning printed copies of Hillary's e-mails.....

In all seriousness, these people are OK with this now but when they miss the first bank payment, shit will get real fast.  

That's where I am.  There's a lot of bluster right now.  But wait a few months.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Interesting response. Basically the rubes hardest hit by Trumps trade war think it is a short term issue.

Literally that is Communist's biggest advantage over Democracies, time. They can conceive and implement 10, 20, 50 year plans. We can't do anything over 4 years, or 2 years the way midterms have been going lately. 

Never get into a mexican standoff with China.  

Edited by Lagunamadre

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If it's an HVAC install company, the effect will be blunted.  All of his competitors will be hit equally.  Perhaps the industry, as a whole, will drop off as fewer customers could afford upgrades, but, unlike farmers selling to China or Harley selling to Europe, his customers cannot opt for a non-tariffed option. 

The article about Poplar Bluff Mo (and the struggling nail company) is probably more germane to your point.  I don't think they interviewed any current employees (probably none were allowed to talk), but the folks in the town seemed pretty relaxed about the plant possibly closing.  It probably appears to them that 500 jobs in a town of 20k, isn't that big of a deal.  They see "Help Wanted" signs.  What they don't realize is that once the plant closes, those miscellaneous jobs dry up quick.  People leave town.  Population contraction drops housing prices.  Fewer customers means some other businesses close and others have no reason to take on extra employees.  Maybe their town is growing, and will continue to grow despite a plant closing.  But if it starts constricting, the ripple effects can be brutal on a small town. 

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Grand central planning that requires 50 years of perfect orchestration, completely selfless and incorruptible people in charge who won’t abuse their near totalitarian power, and a dedication to staying the course irrespective of changing conditions are literally communism’s biggest disadvantages compared to capitalism and democracy.

Yeah, I don't agree with his sentiment as worded, but I'd agree with what I think he is saying, which is that communist dictatorships are more able to maintain a policy stance that inflicts great hardship on their people than democracies.   It's ultimately why Vietnam was unwinnable for us.   It's not an advantage in the long run, but it does make it more difficult to beat them in specific short-term situations.   I'd say a trade war falls into this category and that China can likely outlast us even while its people endure greater hardship. 

Yeah, the point is that Xi isn't really following opinion polls.  I guarantee you that my reps are keeping track of what soybean farmers and hog producers are feeling.  Xi knows that.  We aren't going to win a war of attrition because we aren't really going to fight one.

Edited by Tuco

actually this wasn't about infant formula...this measure was a "truth in advertising" issue to enforce manufacturers to clearly indicate that the product their selling is in fact infant formula, and not something else marketed and sold as formula.  there's a huge problem in developing countries where babies are dying from malnutrition from being fed pseudo-formula marketed as formula to unsuspecting consumers.

that's what Trump's admin objected to.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

“It’s about the economy, stupid.  Which is why Trump tanking the economy won’t affect my support for him.”  Checkmate, I guess?

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Yep.  They’re not supporting the policy knowing it will hurt them.  The quotes are all rationalizations about how the pain is only temporary but soon things will be better than ever thanks to Trump.  They still haven’t accepted the possibility of things really going wrong for them.

Like losing a job while cutting public assistance kind of wrong?  Interdasting.  

30 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

actually this wasn't about infant formula...this measure was a "truth in advertising" issue to enforce manufacturers to clearly indicate that the product their selling is in fact infant formula, and not something else marketed and sold as formula.  there's a huge problem in developing countries where babies are dying from malnutrition from being fed pseudo-formula marketed as formula to unsuspecting consumers.

What?!  I hope I just need to tune my sarcasm meter, because otherwise, this is just a bald face lie.

56 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Yeah, the point is that Xi isn't really following opinion polls.  I guarantee you that my reps are keeping track of what soybean farmers and hog producers are feeling.  Xi knows that.  We aren't going to win a war of attrition because we aren't really going to fight one.

That was my point. Xi doesn't have to worry about mid-term elections and angry farmers to the same extent Trump has to. Xi is thinking in decades, not day to day like Team Trump. 

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nice attempt to pivot away from formula talk that’s pissing off a lot of women.

while cutting health insurance.  Oh yeah, who's going to cover the cost of formula which will likely increase 600 percent?

37 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Are you alluding to the Wilds of West Virginia?  Because I thought Mountain Dew and baby formula were interchangeable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

or team Trump who will be immune to their own bad business decisions--https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-china-tariffs-spares-clothing-shoes-ivanka-safe_us_5b42a597e4b09e4a8b2e72c3

Edited by Mdhorn

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Sure he may kill his relatives using mortar rounds, but he’s an honorable man!

Well who wants to sit around during the holidays hearing about their failures in comparisons to their dad? 

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

In red states banks accept lib tears as a form of payment.