Black Lives Matter

Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, which was it....was he "going for a knife!" (which no officer said a word about at the time at the scene), or did they shoot him because he was about to get into a "car, which is a deadly weapon!"

Note, there is a knife in my car.  Just because I'm getting into my car doesn't mean I was "going for a knife."   If it did, then literally every time I am pulled over, the cops can and should shoot me (actually, it would be irresponsible for them NOT to shoot me -- I could stab someone before they know it!  Or I might drive my car into a lake with my kids inside!)

The mere possibility of risk doesn't justify a shooting.  They have to establish reasonable fear for their lives.   And "reasonable" needs to be more than a fucking scintilla of possibility.  Again, by the standard the cops would follow, any of us would be justified in shooting a cop because they have a proven track record of using unreasonable force, and for crying out loud, he had a gun!

That ain't the standard.  For us or them.

I hope this does turn into a more general strike.  It's the only sort of thing that even has a shot at making a difference.

I think what is going to have to happen with this strike is that the players are going to have to now get out there front and center and demand legislation and change and that it has to happen now. If they do that that would give the overall movement a large jolt of support. I am all for whatever they decide to do. If they want to go back and play I am for that as well. Whatever the athletes want to do to address this ongoing issue of police brutality and overall racist behavior I support it. I never thought I'd be supporting anyone that plays for the Celtics, but I have the utmost respect for Jaylen Brown and his teammates for saying enough is enough with all of this. I am no Doc Rivers fan, but to see him break down and say what he did hurt to see. How in the hell can any human being that isn't a virulent racist see that and not say that they aren't all in on ending the systemic racism that continues to happen in this country?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Haven’t read this thread and have no intention to, but I’m just chiming in to say that I had a daughter born on Monday and I’m already regretting bringing her into this world. Everything sucks and I don’t know how it’s ever going to get better.

There's a lot to unpack there, but hang in there. Being a new father is an awesome and overwhelming emotional experience in the best of times. Focus on loving her and her mama, feeding her and her mama, and getting some rest every chance you have. Congratulations.

Oh, and the diapers? Change them. Remember that the pound #s on the package is how much the baby weighs and not the load capacity.

There's a lot to unpack there, but hang in there. Being a new father is an awesome and overwhelming emotional experience in the best of times. Focus on loving her and her mama, feeding her and her mama, and getting some rest every chance you have. Congratulations.

Oh, and the diapers? Change them. Remember that the pound #s on the package is how much the baby weighs and not the load capacity.

Appreciate the kind words. This isn’t our first, so not too overwhelmed there. Just feeling pretty helpless at the state of this damn country at the moment.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Four years ago the debate was about whether a player kneeling during the anthem should be suspended.

Yep.

And that seems quaint today thanks to the actions of people who have been taking it to the streets with civil disobedience. We have to see the ugly side sometimes before we recognize the pretty.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Where we preach and tell them to vote and walk away."

Another guy I never rooted for, but I like Webber as a person and always have. The part about his autistic nephew was hard to hear and really hits home. Our actions have got to back up our words. Again it isn’t enough to say you support equality if you aren’t doing anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

Another guy I never rooted for, but I like Webber as a person and always have. The part about his autistic nephew was hard to hear and really hits home. Our actions have got to back up our words. Again it isn’t enough to say you support equality if you aren’t doing anything. 

Yep.

clinton-stone-mountain1-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Haven’t read this thread and have no intention to, but I’m just chiming in to say that I had a daughter born on Monday and I’m already regretting bringing her into this world. Everything sucks and I don’t know how it’s ever going to get better.

What a shitty attitude. Hope you don’t pass it on to the little one. 

• Fuck You 17

5 hours ago, Homercles said:

Well there’s a whole frenzy of brigading on the Internet right now, once they killed T_D on Reddit those types infested /r/conservative and it’s even more rampant in the actualpublicfreakouts subreddit as well.  

Personally I abhor pointless rioting, destroying innocent businesses or hurling things at police...then again I see how the cops let actual gun-toting white guys waltz around and even thanking them for being there, and guess they feel they’ve run out of options to express their valid frustrations even if it’s counterproductive towards the ultimate goals and only fuels RW talking points   

What gets me here is the consistent pattern of low or no volume posters who come out of the woodwork to take part in the most divisive threads and consistently take the same side...hell that Iowa guy is about to get banned in DT for vehemently defending police.  They’re not bots like those twitter spammers, these guys use natural language and participate in real conversations...but they way they suddenly go cock strong into intense debates seems very suspicious to me.  

Maybe I’m off base, but I chose very carefully where to enter this rabid community back in 2010 when I joined...certainly not jumping right into the CR or gun conversations on a mission.  

Anyways just an observation that I’ve posted about before.  

Yeah......holy fuck. Idk when the cloak room became the place of reason, or more like the place that doesn’t support mass racism and sending kids back to school literally just for football. But yeah. Idk what I was expecting with a college football forum. I guess the “college” part is tad misleading. I refuse to believe those fuckers have a high school degree. Let alone sniffed a college campus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

Four years ago the debate was about whether a player kneeling during the anthem should be suspended.

The pro sports leagues should announce the suspension of the playing of the national anthem before games until our police departments get their fucking shit under control. And word it just like that in the press release. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Where we preach and tell them to vote and walk away."

As a Mavs fan... thanks Chris. Hits too close to home. The vast majority of non voters are the unprivileged, not the privileged. They are either too busy trying to survive or already know how the game works. The government doesn’t care. At all. In fact they are actively trying to exploit you if you come from these aforementioned communities.

39 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yep.

clinton-stone-mountain1-1.jpg

Saw an old clip of Bill referring to immigrants as “illegal aliens.” Something like a “super predator.”   They sure knew how to throw in those key words back before it became unacceptable. I’ll say it again. These people paved the way for someone like Donald Trump with their own rhetoric and actions. They affected, perhaps infected, everything years ago. Trying to do the same today. The next Trump will not be such an obvious moron.

It’s like I’m counting on the fucking NBA to save us. That’s where I’m at. Start a mass strike already.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah......holy fuck. Idk when the cloak room became the place of reason, or more like the place that doesn’t support mass racism and sending kids back to school literally just for football. But yeah. Idk what I was expecting with a college football forum. I guess the “college” part is tad misleading. I refuse to believe those fuckers have a high school degree. Let alone sniffed a college campus. 

They’re already at school you complete blubbering pussy. 

• Fuck You 3

Cops have to stop being executioners when faced with non-lethal threats.  Period.  That’s the holistic problem that has to be untrained.  You don’t shoot someone fleeing the scene (Atlanta) or in the back (here).  The training has taught them it’s ok to escalate that quickly.  That has to be fixed.  Police need a nationwide deprograming and I am afraid, like the gun issue, it’s too far gone to fix.  

Add to that the cops encouragement of the 17 yr old shooter last night just before he went out and killed two people, and the problem becomes even clearer.  

Police need to be disarmed.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I am not, in general, a fan of athletes as spokespeople for a movement.  A large part of that is that I am very uneasy with celebrity worship and that includes sports figures.  The absurd amount of money that pro sports make from people who can ill afford it bothers me.  Talk about opiate of the people.  I don't think it's healthy for a society.

That said, if they are the ones with the platform, that can get government and the people to listen, more power to them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Look at just page 40 alone at the type of human beings we are sharing this country with. If you want to see why this election will not be the cure all, but only the opening salvo if Biden wins, that should be somewhat sobering. These cretins are out there just itching to shoot black people and they really don't need much provoking to do it. 

Holy shit.  Took a gander at the last few pages.  I'm sure some of those people were typing with one hand while they wrote their Killing Black People Fan Fiction.  BLM better stay out of Little Elm!  *makes jerkoff hand sign*

Edited by Continental Op

57 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I think ending the season would be a mistake. You’d be giving up a huge platform. 

I don’t know how much impact putting political statements on jerseys and continuing to play has. Refusing to play and fucking with the owners’ money will certainly have an impact. I selfishly want basketball, but it seems to me a league-wide strike with a clear demand (maybe end QI or something similar) before they’ll resume play is about the most effective thing they could do.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am not, in general, a fan of athletes as spokespeople for a movement.  A large part of that is that I am very uneasy with celebrity worship and that includes sports figures.  The absurd amount of money that pro sports make from people who can ill afford it bothers me.  Talk about opiate of the people.  I don't think it's healthy for a society.

That said, if they are the ones with the platform, that can get government and the people to listen, more power to them.

I generally do not listen when celebrities want to talk about most anything, but the NBA has been fairly progressive, especially in recent years and the players have built up some goodwill for having been out there protesting since shortly after George Floyd was killed. This isn’t a PR appearance to them and if they are the guys who can get some stuff started towards a nationwide overhaul of who and what police will be going forward I am all for it.

John Lewis said in his autobiography that he never cared about whether someone was a man or woman, their color, sexual orientation or political affiliation. If they supported the movement he took part in then they were all on the same team. Bring on the NBA and the considerable weight those players, Board of Governors and the league office can throw around. If MLB the NFL, WNBA, NHL and anyone else around the world want to join in to put an end to this shit then bring them aboard and join the fight against these racist assholes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Absolute trash.

7cba2ca12c89afcd626e180e03bbca09.jpg

After Charlottesville, conservatives pretended to be shocked. Now they're not even bothering to pretend. Now they're enthusiastically cheering on the murder of their political opponents.

If he loses the election, Trump will issue a call to arms and some of his supporters will answer it. And when they do, police will stand down or help them.

stupid remark from Pence's chief of staff calling any NBA boycott to be absurd or silly.

Marc Short, the chief of staff to Vice President Mike Pence, dismissed the significance Thursday of decisions by NBA players to not play games in protest over police violence against Black people, calling the boycott "absurd" and "silly."

Asked by CNN's Alisyn Camerota on "New Day" if Pence supports the boycott, Short said, "I don't know that you're going to see the administration weigh in on that one way or the other. In my mind, it's absurd, it's silly."

Y’all be careful criticizing the way the mods run the DT - the mods will move your comments to the “help” board and remove all context from your comments and encourage the DT psychos to shit talk and neg you.

Y’all probably won’t get gross threatening DMs because you’re dudes but you never know.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GRHorn said:

What a shitty attitude. Hope you don’t pass it on to the little one. 

bro seriously fuck you.  don't give a fuck about anything you may reply but just fuck you.  hope karma catches you one day you sorry excuse for a human being

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all be careful criticizing the way the mods run the DT - the mods will move your comments to the “help” board and remove all context from your comments and encourage the DT psychos to shit talk and neg you.

Y’all probably won’t get gross threatening DMs because you’re dudes but you never know.

It's totally a coincidence that the one time they do that is specifically targeting one of the handful of female posters here.

Just a coincidence!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Who's DMed you? I'm sure they're already on the list of shitty posters I keep in my head, but you can never be too sure about these things.

54 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah you should out the threatening DMs. Unacceptable.