AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

COVID Delta exposure/testing inquiry (and SIAP):

My kid’s principal advised that the exposure in his class occurred on Friday. I’m not sure how they determined that, but in any event, if we want to test him, is it okay now, or wait a couple days? He hasn’t shown any symptoms.

Fwiw AISD (my wife teaches there) and RRISD don't actually want you to quarantine. At least not HQ. I know what the notice says, but they aren't keeping yall out. I'm in the same boat - close contact notice on Friday. Son was home Monday & Tuesday. No symptoms, I guess. A headache one day, but then grasses are sky high. Did a OTC test yesterday and will again tonight... and if both negative... shit, I don't know. But it's our conscience keeping him out, not the school. I bet most of his class was there today. 

On testing, I think I heard 5 days is the standard. Maybe do a test first thing Weds, and then fuck the world? 

Last night, the Williamson County and Cities Health District (WCCHD) sent us an email recommending we close all schools for 10 days and adjust our health response protocols. We spoke with representatives from WCCHD and the Texas Education Agency (TEA) this morning.  

At this time, we are keeping schools open and focusing on individual classrooms impacted by clusters of positive cases. It is possible that whole classrooms at the elementary level may be required to access remote conferencing with their teacher. We will communicate those details directly to impacted staff, teachers, and families. 

This is going to come back and bite them.   They can try and run that clock out, but they aren't kidding anybody - if they have 400+ confirmed cases, that means they have a shitload that haven't been tested.

4 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Fwiw AISD (my wife teaches there) and RRISD don't actually want you to quarantine. At least not HQ. I know what the notice says, but they aren't keeping yall out. I'm in the same boat - close contact notice on Friday. Son was home Monday & Tuesday. No symptoms, I guess. A headache one day, but then grasses are sky high. Did a OTC test yesterday and will again tonight... and if both negative... shit, I don't know. But it's our conscience keeping him out, not the school. I bet most of his class was there today. 

My kid's elementary school (AISD) had a positive, and they quarantined the class. 

26 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

On testing, I think I heard 5 days is the standard. Maybe do a test first thing Weds, and then fuck the world? 

My school is requiring quarantine.

Dripping Springs Man is becoming an internet legend.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/dripping-springs-man-bares-thoughts-on-mask-mandates-at-heated-school-board-meeting/

Akers then began removing articles of clothing as he outlined all the different laws and social expectations in place — stopping at red lights, wearing professional attire at work and not parking in handicapped parking spots — people are expected to follow. Masks, he said, are one of those things people should abide by in the effort of doing the right thing for the safety of others.

Akers ended his public comment sans shirt or pants, standing in a swimsuit as meeting attendees laughed, applauded or shouted at him.

“It’s simple protocol, people,” he said. “We follow certain rules. We follow certain rules for a very good reason.”

Officers did not remove him, but he put his clothes back on at Board President Barbara Stroud’s request before leaving the microphone.

Following his public comment, several community members commented on social media and said Akers’ actions were inappropriate in the public forum setting, while others commended his efforts. 

In a follow up interview with KXAN Tuesday, Akers said the decision to speak before the board came as tensions and divisions ran high in the district. Masks are currently recommended as an option by DSISD officials but are not mandated for students, staff and other district personnel.

“There are too many voices out there that I think are digging in for political reasons, and absolutely just not thinking about the common sense decisions we make every day to comply with everything from driving down the road and being safe and courteous to other drivers to not parking in handicapped spots,” he said. “All these rules that we’re given every day that we follow, because they make sense.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
22 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:
Round Rock does away with opting out of masks. Rednecks are mad. Water is wet.

I saw that they are allowing religious exemptions as an out. Not sure what religion bans masks, but whatever.

Probably all of the religions in round rock by 7:30 this morning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bevo Num1 said:
1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I saw that they are allowing religious exemptions as an out. Not sure what religion bans masks, but whatever.

Masks may not be worn during El Malaguena.  It's for Spanish Jews.

To South Austin's point...

This is true.  Las Sephardicas are revered the world over for their very specific rules regarding face masks.  It was actually their idea to include the letter "K" in KN-95, though the letter does not occur in their language.  In Madrid, masks must be removed, however, during the taking of holy communion with the Rabbi.  But must be kept affixed for bovine safety in Pamplona.  The rules obviously vary region to region, as they do in Central Texas apparently. 

My kid tested negative via molecular PCR test.  Highland Park has now modified the quarantine requirement and said that if he remains symptom free his mandatory quarantine ends this Saturday instead of the 10 days they originally stated, which means he's back in school on Monday.  I think everyone is making this up as they go along as they realize positive cases will start to ramp up and they want to minimize the time students are out of school.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3

Glad to hear the update about your child.  To your other point, our board meeting was last night (we dialed in).  The overall vibe was very much, "Holy fucking shit, we had no idea it could get like this so quickly.  All we know is Travis County has ordered us a mask mandate, and we're gonna make up the rest of shit as we go in terms of quarantine, remote learning capabilities for kids stuck at home for 10-15 days, testing, etc."  I think the earnestness of the board and administrative leadership rubbed people the right way for once because the usual cunts largely kept their mouths shut.  However, the teaser for next season at the end perked up a few ears.....vaccine mandates.  No policy is close to being remotely in place, but they teased it and the asshole cohort woke up this morning just waiting to suck.  

1 hour ago, Bevo Num1 said:
2 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I'm not seeing that anywhere. It's only "health or developmental condition." according to the announcement. 

https://go.boarddocs.com/tx/rrisd/Board.nsf/files/C67QTN6A5DA5/$file/D1.Mask Opt Out Aug. 24%2C 2021.pdf

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

However, the teaser for next season at the end perked up a few ears.....vaccine mandates.  No policy is close to being remotely in place, but they teased it and the asshole cohort woke up this morning just waiting to suck.  

The State of Texas, currently led by Governor Abbott who we all trust to protect muh free-dums!, mandates a wide array of vaccines for any student K-12.  So there shouldn't be any issue with mandating COVID vaccine, as COVID has already shown that it causes massive disruption in our educational systems.  Right?    

• Like 3

In a weird mid-season twist, I got a bad feeling that Polio somehow makes a raging comeback because of all this shit.  

I don't want my kid to get polio, or rubella, or hepatitis, but suddenly tens of millions of parents in this country are shouting, "Those are fine, but a Covid-19 vaccine is an infringement on my family's personal choices!  Also, if they get Covid-19, it's not real.  And if it is real, then we can't miss school.  And if we stay in school and infect other families, tough shit!"  

I swear, some of the assholes in my district and in my country would have been outside Jonas Salk's house protesting his vaccine.  "We are not your test subjects Jonas!  My Freedom is more important than your research!  Polio is just a bad limp, it'll go away in the heat.  Kids with polio should be allowed to play full contact football this Fall in Texas!"  

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The State of Texas, currently led by Governor Abbott who we all trust to protect muh free-dums!, mandates a wide array of vaccines for any student K-12.  So there shouldn't be any issue with mandating COVID vaccine, as COVID has already shown that it causes massive disruption in our educational systems.  Right?    

The opt out on all of these vaccines for religious or whatever other reasons someone can come up with is the maddening part of it historically. 

Glad your kid tested negative.  How long will S/A, Jr. have been out by Monday.  I seem to recall CDC going to a 7 days with negative test in early 2021, but ICBW

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

The opt out on all of these vaccines for religious or whatever other reasons someone can come up with is the maddening part of it historically. 

Glad your kid tested negative.  How long will S/A, Jr. have been out by Monday.  I seem to recall CDC going to a 7 days with negative test in early 2021, but ICBW

He's only missing this Tuesday through Friday.  He was in school for all of Monday, and at the end of the day his school reported the positive case in his class.  They're basing the quarantine period on an exposure date of last Friday, because the kid who tested negative was in school on Friday, but not on Monday (presumably because he started feeling bad over the weekend and his parents got him tested on Monday).

Could've been worse than missing four days of in-person school.  But I'm afraid we're all going to be playing a game of quarantine musical chairs until this shit runs through our schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

That is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent objection…

Overruled!

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh noes it wuz inappropriate?  Know what is inappropriate…picketing schools to protest masks, ripping them off teachers faces or yelling during public hearings.  

18 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, Leander looks like a shit show, but it also started one full incubation period before any other district in the area.  

So if in-school spread is happening more this year than last (and it appears that it is), then the other districts will be nipping at Leander's heels, just about a week behind.

One full week after LISD.  Hang on to your hat...

FTR Pf started Aug 12, same day as leander.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

predator-billy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Gotcha.  And, on the chart, they're #2 in cases/100.

second's the first loser.  seriously though it matches up with the centex map showing pflugerville and del valle having the highest concentration of cases this time around.  really hope we reached the peak..

18 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Leanderthals. (And my kids are in the district.)

And you should've heard the applause when the Sup. announced the high number of opt outs for the 'mask mandate' put in place last week at the last school board meeting.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

He's only missing this Tuesday through Friday.  He was in school for all of Monday, and at the end of the day his school reported the positive case in his class.  They're basing the quarantine period on an exposure date of last Friday, because the kid who tested negative was in school on Friday, but not on Monday (presumably because he started feeling bad over the weekend and his parents got him tested on Monday).

7gMA.gif

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Glad to hear the update about your child.  To your other point, our board meeting was last night (we dialed in).  The overall vibe was very much, "Holy fucking shit, we had no idea it could get like this so quickly.  All we know is Travis County has ordered us a mask mandate, and we're gonna make up the rest of shit as we go in terms of quarantine, remote learning capabilities for kids stuck at home for 10-15 days, testing, etc."  I think the earnestness of the board and administrative leadership rubbed people the right way for once because the usual cunts largely kept their mouths shut.  However, the teaser for next season at the end perked up a few ears.....vaccine mandates.  No policy is close to being remotely in place, but they teased it and the asshole cohort woke up this morning just waiting to suck.  

The bolded part is what I just don't get.  We've had weeks watching schools throughout the south open up and then close right back down.  We've had weeks of watching PICUs and ICUs fill up across that region as well.  There is absofuckinglutely no excuse for being unprepared for this, or surprised by it in any way.  And yet here we are.  The failure of leadership in this country will be the end of us, from the feds on down to local school boards.  I don't know how we magically convince decent folks to take on these roles when they've been running as far from them as possible for decades now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

The bolded part is what I just don't get.  We've had weeks watching schools throughout the south open up and then close right back down.  We've had weeks of watching PICUs and ICUs fill up across that region as well.  There is absofuckinglutely no excuse for being unprepared for this, or surprised by it in any way.  And yet here we are.  The failure of leadership in this country will be the end of us, from the feds on down to local school boards.  I don't know how we magically convince decent folks to take on these roles when they've been running as far from them as possible for decades now. 

As a species, we only learn by actually TOUCHING the hot stove.  No amount of warning, watching other people burn themselves and yell in pain, etc., will teach us.  We are not smart.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

i have no idea if you were referencing this movie, but i always loved this bit of it. there's the family fucking circus, bottom right hand corner, just waiting to suck

Sorry to hear that.  Yeah, 20 outta 22 seems like a lot.  Eventually, our elementary school classrooms are gonna look like that the other world looked like in "The Leftovers" where 98% of the world is missing.  

Months to prepare for this and the best we could come up with was, "Uh, um...like...uh, derp."

This is one of the most catastrophic failures in elected official history.  There are leaders that lets others around them rise/fall, there are leaders that try to just stay out of the way, there are leaders that try and fail, and then there are the kind of people that look at all the information at hand and lead with the premise, "We could do something sensible, but I've got a networking breakfast at Cracker Barrel and I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna tell 23 barren geriatric couples that I gave one solitary fuck about doing something that may require them to walk back to their car wearing a mask for 45 seconds."

I can't help but notice you "Kids can't get Covid" spineless pussies aren't chiming in with your bullshit anymore.  Yeah, yeah...I know...you own guns and are an all-around badass.  When the shit hits the fan though, you hide behind other weak cunts, unsure of yourself as always.

Midland's numbers. They started in early August. No mask requirement just encouraged.

https://www.mrt.com/coronavirus/article/MISD-COVID-cases-top-1-000-16411734.php?fbclid=IwAR031PUqcToCPgpkuxxevtYbaVuiVOpIzdX6eMPYmG6Xf0MfwQ0iFpbu0K0

Ramsey said the numbers as of Wednesday morning were 1,017 cases, 552 of which were currently “active.” That makes this period the most impactful on the district during the pandemic, she added.

Ramsey said that the district is seeing an average of 300 to 400 absent staff members a day, which creates challenges for face-to-face learning because of the lack of willing substitutes and a smaller district support center (formerly the central office). Staff members also can include bus drivers, janitors and nutritional support, she said.

Our two pediatricians both issued alerts saying they know lots of kids are getting RSV and then also getting injuries as sports/activities are picking back up again after school.  But they can't see anybody for that shit, so they're recommending you go to some quick clinic/emergent care facility in the area because they're completely overrun with Covid cases.  And if you don't have it, you'll likely get it in the fucking waiting room.  

So yeah, little Sally's broken arm from cheerleading or baby Tommy's whooping cough is just gonna have to fucking wait because masks are for sheep!  Bleeding out in the parking lot at CVS if for MEN! 

LISD continues to be a shit show.  Not done with Wednesday reporting yet and we're already at the same number of cases as last week.  I'm guessing we come in around 300 cases this week (Sat-Fri) if this trend continues.  

image.png.f3d9953b2bb9ea3e0ad2613cf9cb802a.png

Edit: Just passed last week at 214.  

Edited by JesusSweatDuck

41 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Yeah effectively this is turning into a pediatric pandemic experiment now.  

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Our two pediatricians both issued alerts saying they know lots of kids are getting RSV and then also getting injuries as sports/activities are picking back up again after school.  But they can't see anybody for that shit, so they're recommending you go to some quick clinic/emergent care facility in the area because they're completely overrun with Covid cases.  And if you don't have it, you'll likely get it in the fucking waiting room.  

So yeah, little Sally's broken arm from cheerleading or baby Tommy's whooping cough is just gonna have to fucking wait because masks are for sheep!  Bleeding out in the parking lot at CVS if for MEN! 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin-family-says-toddler-was-turned-away-from-hospital-due-to-lack-of-space-in-pediatric-icu/

After a brief scare in a local pediatric intensive care unit, an Austin couple is sharing their message: get vaccinated and wear a mask.

Kevin Karaffa, whose 22-month-old daughter was recently diagnosed with the viral respiratory infection, claims he was turned away from an Austin-area hospital because there was no space. Luckily, he says his family received one of the last beds in the Dell Children’s PICU.

Three hours later, Karaffa says a 10-month-old took the final PICU bed next door. He says a Dell Children’s nurse informed them that there were no more available PICU beds in the area.

“My daughter responded well to treatment, so they sent us to the recovery floor this morning since Dell Children’s needed the ICU bed so badly,” Karaffa said. “This is scary and I think Austinites ought to know that, just like Dallas’ Judge Jenkins said: if your child needs critical care, [they] will have to wait for another child to get better or die before a PICU bed will be available in Travis County.”

Other healthcare and urgent care providers are also under high strain. A glimpse online shows that the Texas MedClinic in Round Rock is currently experiencing walk-in wait times of more than five hours.

• Rage+1 2