COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

35 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sorry dude.  At least my kid attends an elementary school in AISD that seems to be pro-mask for the most part.  But I've already resigned myself to the little guy having at least one 10-day time out from in-person school because of a positive test in his class.

I've got two young kids.

With the way things are going, one kid will be out for 10 days, then I'll get a few days break, then the other one will be out, then get a break, then the first one again, etc.

59 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Well fuck, seems like school positives have started to show up. 955 cases posted today (+510 from last Monday).  Hospitalizations down to 589 (-10 from Friday) which tracks to the drop in cases a week ago.  ICU admits are up to 213 (+10 from Friday) and Vents at 134 (+4 from Friday).

Everyone get ready for the shit show

image.thumb.png.ce16141b1555ea62a6e7aa7dd76ebdd5.png

image.thumb.png.0315a85de84c48e97751c26b7cd59fb3.png

here we go batman GIF

Houston area needs to keep the current trajectory (on avg cases). Hospitalization isn't great. 

TMC-COVID-19-Monitoring-Metrics-8-16-2021_Page_09.png

TMC-COVID-19-Monitoring-Metrics-8-16-202

Edited by Telegraph_it

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've got two young kids.

With the way things are going, one kid will be out for 10 days, then I'll get a few days break, then the other one will be out, then get a break, then the first one again, etc.

Both my kids were in full-time in-person school last year from October 2020 through the end in May 2021.  They each came home a couple of times for contact-tracing purposes.

But one big difference is that last year, their schools were set up so you could move pretty seamlessly from in-person to online-only, because there was at least a small group that NEVER went in-person.  This year it's not going to be so straightforward, and I feel like the online learning will be even less productive than before.

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think 800,000 will easily happen in the US. 75,000 in Texas.

We are for sure at 640,000. Most experts would probably agree with 750,000 as being more realistic.

By the time this pandemic is over, we’ll cross 1 million easily. 

what I really wanna know is what percentage of infections are long haulers? Because if you develop pulmonary fibrosis today and die 5 years from now, thats a covid death regardless

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is where the rubber hits the road.  The anti-science types are disgruntled because their lives are not where they think they should be.  It couldn't possibly be a result of their own poor choices.

So it has to be those "elites." 

The Daily Texan- where disgruntled people post thread after thread about how their lives are not where they think they should be, and it's because of everyone else.  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Close friend of mine recently lost his elderly father earlier this year (not COVID related and he was pushing 90).  His sister who lives up in Norman (I know, I know) had been caring for the mom, who is in her 80's and also lives there, making sure she took her meds, etc.  The friend went up to Norman today to help since the sister went on a hiking trip.

Just got a call from the sister that she tested positive for COVID.  Oh, and neither she nor the mom had been vaccinated.  To say my friend is pissed would be an understatement.

Now we're all just waiting and hoping the mom didn't get infected. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Magnolia ISD: 8/11. Conroe ISD: 8/11. Tomball ISD: 8/17. Klein ISD: 8/18. *** GULP *** HISD: 8/23. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Fort Bend ISD: 8/11.  Katy ISD: 8/18.  Shit's about to get real.

Yeah, sounds like the big districts are this week and next.  Hold on to your butts.

11 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

My grandma died Saturday. She had been on a ventilator for a week with COVID. She was living with my uncle and cousin. My grandmother got her first shot and then refused to go back for the second. My uncle and cousin were unvaccinated. My uncle spent 2 weeks in the hospital with it. My cousin had to get treated at the hospital but couldn't get admitted due to a lack of space.

Sorry for your loss

• Hook 'Em 1

Is this wave at all getting some of the blockheads who previously refused the vaccine to reconsider?  The message needs to be clear and simple -- if you have the vaccine, your chances of serious injury or death are extremely low.

People who refuse the shot, unless they are the small minority with valid health reasons, are infuriating.  We should be past this shit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Is this wave at all getting some of the blockheads who previously refused the vaccine to reconsider?  The message needs to be clear and simple -- if you have the vaccine, your chances of serious injury or death are extremely low.

A lot of them are - we've gone from about 500k average per day to over 700k over the past month. Not where we want to be but it's an improvement. Many are being scared straight. 

Unfortunately there are still too many idiots who just won't do it because "my choice" and other stupid shit.

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

A lot of them are - we've gone from about 500k average per day to over 700k over the past month. Not where we want to be but it's an improvement. Many are being scared straight. 

Unfortunately there are still too many idiots who just won't do it because "my choice" and other stupid shit.

Maybe enough will FAFO to motivate others.  So stupid.  We have the keys to the jail cell and some won't use them.

• Fuck You 1

Texas Childrens just cancelled all elective cases. Last hospital system in Houston to do so, I believe. Shits really really really bad

Fortunately DDD mom got her ovarian cyst removed on Friday. Was worried they’d call it off. As it happened she did have to stay overnight but they didn’t admit her to the hospital. Just kept her at the surgical center.
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Fort Bend ISD: 8/11.  Katy ISD: 8/18.  Shit's about to get real.

Fort Bend here.  66% of my children came home with fevers and fatigue this afternoon  All 3 are mask wearers, although seem to be in the minority. We kept them out last year and heavily weighed it this year.   Really feeling pretty fucking low right now.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Fort Bend here.  66% of my children came home with fevers and fatigue this afternoon  All 3 are mask wearers, although seem to be in the minority. We kept them out last year and heavily weighed it this year.   Really feeling pretty fucking low right now.  

How old are they

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sorry to hear this. Positive thoughts to you and your fam🤘

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Very thankful I almost died of something other than covid 2 weeks ago.

Glad you didn't die. I enjoy your posts. Hope you're on the mend

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

My son (11) came home with an upset stomach. No fever, seems fine now but feels like I'm on constant alert.

Hope your kids bounce back quickly

My GF works at a youth treatment center. Masks are mandatory, but she was telling me no one wears them. She started feeling really bad on Saturday and went and got a test today. Bad cough, slight fever. I don't feel 100%. Both fully vaccinated, we do not really go out (HEB, etc) so hoping it is just a cold that I read on here was going around. 

Fuckers need to get vaccinated. 

Hope all the littles are well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, wood said:

My wife (no pics) teaches 2nd grade in Austin. She just got home and told me that 10 kids at her school alone showed up with COVID to Meet the Teacher Night last Friday. This is just the beginning.

Damn….it has all the signs of a brushfire headed our way.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Glad you didn't die. I enjoy your posts. Hope you're on the mend

My son (11) came home with an upset stomach. No fever, seems fine now but feels like I'm on constant alert.

Hope your kids bounce back quickly

I appreciate your appreciation of my non-death.  I’m doing fine in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hopefully it’s just RSV or a minor cold, not that that would help.

That's what we are hoping, too.  I mean keeping them (mostly) sheltered or around small groups of other kids whos parents took this serious was a risk that they'd have more susceptible immune systems to normal crap on the other side of this.  All those years of building bullet proof immune systems took a backseat last year.  I know the odds are probably it's just something simple, but still doesn't keep me from being here nervous like a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

All the best, man. I really feel for everyone locked into this bad situation.