COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

I live in CT, and for all the shit I give our governor about being a spineless weenie who leads by following, I'm happy with where we are right now.  Life's starting to feel more normal and people up here are more conservative about Covid and take things more seriously.  Mask-wearing is the norm, not the exception.  Which is going to (hopefully) allow me to take the beach vacation I planned in Maine since our numbers are looking good.

Texas looks like we did back in March and April when the shit was hitting the fan, although our ICU beds in CT never got to near capacity.

Good luck and hold on to your butts!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whithou said:

It has been a disheartening journey and it is only starting. I did not realize how there really is no definitive treatment for the illness until we got COVID patients. When they first come on our unit they are not intubated yet and are on maximum supplemental oxygen. They are all agitated and keep pulling off their oxygen devices so we are constantly running into the room to hold the oxygen device onto their face. The doctors don't like intubating as it is hard to extubate/take them off the breathing tube. Eventually though the patients need to be intubated as their oxygenation numbers aren't so hot. After they are intubated the patients usually have to be paralyzed so they can tolerate the breathing tube. Then starts the waiting game of hoping they'll start to improve on the various trial medications and proning them. Meanwhile, COVID wrecks havoc on all of the other organs in these patients. We have only have a few success stories and those patients were the younger ones.

Everyone I work with is emotionally drained and the last shift we had two COVID patients that coded. I have family members calling around the clock and I never have anything positive to tell them. We still don't have enough PPE and I rewear my N95 until is breaks. I know that I'll eventually get COVID if I haven't already but at least I'm young and healthy. The older nurses are very nervous and one kept saying "I don't feel safe/I'm scared" the last shift I worked. 

This is probably more information than you wanted to know but it was therapeutic to type this out. Thanks for reaching out on what it has been like.  

ChiTownDoc was my past go-to for real and believable information.  Looks like you may take his place.

Thanks for what you do.  Nurses don't get nearly the respect and compensation that they deserve.  Hang in there, and know that there are lots of people thinking about you and praying for you. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

130 yesterday in Hays. 193 confirmed today. Glad the fucking square was left open for an additional weekend. 

Drove through dripping today and say a big farmers market set up at 12 and 290.  Looked at the wife, and just shook my head. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Drove through dripping today and say a big farmers market set up at 12 and 290.  Looked at the wife, and just shook my head. 

I go almost every weekend to the one in San Marcos. Manager has been running good protocols, but two weeks ago people just stopped caring. All vendors had masks, sanitzer, etc. It was the shoppers. 

But really, it has been the bars and the rivers causing our spread.  They command a lot of political power in San Marcos which is why our County Judge said masks are mandatory, but he will not enforce. 

1 hour ago, Horny04 said:

I live in CT, and for all the shit I give our governor about being a spineless weenie who leads by following, I'm happy with where we are right now.  Life's starting to feel more normal and people up here are more conservative about Covid and take things more seriously.  Mask-wearing is the norm, not the exception.  Which is going to (hopefully) allow me to take the beach vacation I planned in Maine since our numbers are looking good.

Texas looks like we did back in March and April when the shit was hitting the fan, although our ICU beds in CT never got to near capacity.

Pennsylvania here. Idiots called Wolf a dictator and an insane house rep drafted impeachment papers against him. 

Meanwhile he handled this as good as anyone in the nation. 

1 hour ago, Austinvines said:

My brother-in-law works for the CoA. This graph was shared with the mayor and county judge.

1a14182fb6df0486f8728facb55ffe09.jpg
I have no idea what the models used to determine the predicted line, but let’s hope we get one of the ones lowest on the y-axis.

Hold on to your butts.

At this point I’ve gone from cautiously optimistic to oh fuck, not again. 

I read https://ncase.me/covid-19/ after someone posted it last night and some of those scenarios are hitting a little too close to home. 

40 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Pennsylvania here. Idiots called Wolf a dictator and an insane house rep drafted impeachment papers against him. 

Me too, and I live right in the middle of Philly. Most protesters looked to have masks on. People wear them out on the sidewalks, and I haven't seen evidence of anyone throwing a fit at a store. Hell, it's not uncommon to see homeless people wearing masks outside.

But I think indoor bars/restaurants and house parties are the big driver, and I don't see why northeast cities will do any better with that than Texas. Maybe our houses are smaller and there aren't as many big private gatherings. But once people are able to drink indoors, it's game on. I won't blame the young hotties either...the Jersey shore is full of 50s-60s folk hugging and shouting in each other's faces on patios.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horny04 said:

Yeah, I’m in NYC and have come around to a similar view. God knows our officials made huge mistakes in the early days of the outbreak, and those mistakes likely cost thousands of lives. But, now we have a data driven and staged re-opening policy, extreme mask compliance, and robust testing and tracing. I’m hopeful this will keep us from seeing a huge spike as we continue to reopen.

For the sake of my parents and grandparents in Texas, not to mention all of you assholes, I hope Texas quickly springs to action and crushes this wave. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, XYZ said:

What a shitshow the hospitalizations in the Austin MSA is. It’s going vertical.

Yeah, when we started watching the Austin hospitalizations on the Texas Re-Opening thread we all saw it jump from ~11 to ~20 a day and were concerned, but hopeful that it was a little plateau and nothing more.

Now I'm thinking we're fucked. Hopefully the new mask regulations will help bring it back down but we're probably two weeks from that impacting the hospitalization numbers. In the meantime, we're on a rocket ship. Not a good one. More like the Challenger.

• Like 1

Obviously the spike is due to illegal immigrants and media hoaxes.  Our state leadership was duped, plain and simple.  And they'll have to live with that fact to their graves.  /noCR

I think we can all agree that the very best course of action right now is to request that the Federal Government cease funding of testing sites at the state/community level.  We've had it too good for too long.  STOP FUNDING TESTS!  STOP FUNDING TESTS!  STOP FUNDING TESTS!  

I bet they listen to my plea because I'm so damn influential.  We can't just have underfunded public health districts relying on federal assistance to deploy and complete Covid19 tests. What are we running here, a Republic?  

Obviously the spike is due to illegal immigrants and media hoaxes.  Our state leadership was duped, plain and simple.  And they'll have to live with that fact to their graves.  /noCR

They were not duped. They knew exactly what they were doing. Complete pieces of shit. All of them.

Should we have imposed a NYC shutdown in March or when we needed to do it?

America isn't a one size fits all country, but unfortunately we (Texas) applied a one size fits all approach once Manhattan started getting fucked.

Hindsight says maybe we should waited a touch instead of expending our stay-at-home capital when there we're only a couple dozen cases in Travis county.

• Like 1

I don’t know about two months ago it was under control. Coming back on line has been too much normal. Maybe it’s not a lot of normal but it is too much normal. It’s becoming clear masks are essential. That needs to be a law and enforceable by fine like seat belt and motorcycle helmet laws. Fine people left and right. Get after it. Essential means essential, if it’s not essential stay home. Once under control you can phase openings again but only as the virus allows! Dial it back if needed! Once under control, rapid isolation, contact tracing and of course massive testing initiatives! This isn’t new this is what the playbook has been since the 1918 pandemic. No politics just science! NYC is actually an amazing case study. Do what they did!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I don’t know about two months ago it was under control. Coming back on line has been too much normal. Maybe it’s not a lot of normal but it is too much normal. It’s becoming clear masks are essential. That needs to be a law and enforceable by fine like seat belt and motorcycle helmet laws. Fine people left and right. Get after it. Essential means essential, if it’s not essential stay home. Once under control you can phase openings again but only as the virus allows! Dial it back if needed! Once under control, rapid isolation, contact tracing and of course massive testing initiatives! This isn’t new this is what the playbook has been since the 1918 pandemic. No politics just science!

Bars should have to close again. They have proved they cannot operate safely. Gyms, amusement parks, bowling alleys need to close as well.  I really don’t think much of this spread is in restaurants. Most of them are doing a great job. I think restaurants will allow people some normalcy but at much safer precautions.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Bars should have to close again. They have proved they cannot operate safely. Gyms, amusement parks, bowling alleys need to close as well.  I really don’t think much of this spread is in restaurants. Most of them are doing a great job. I think restaurants will allow people some normalcy but at much safer precautions.

More on this later but yes the restaurants are a problem too. Much less than the bars though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

More on this later but yes the restaurants are a problem too. Much less than the bars though.

I found out today a major tenant in the building where I work will not be returning until sometime in 2021.
I have a feeling more and more companies will be following suit.

Yeah I don’t see myself going back into the office until sometime in 2021, if ever. Fully plan to request a permanent WFH type situation, or at least 3 days a week
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Being tenth in the country in per capita deaths is as good as anyone in the nation?

What is your metric?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I don’t know about two months ago it was under control. Coming back on line has been too much normal. Maybe it’s not a lot of normal but it is too much normal. It’s becoming clear masks are essential. That needs to be a law and enforceable by fine like seat belt and motorcycle helmet laws. Fine people left and right. Get after it. Essential means essential, if it’s not essential stay home. Once under control you can phase openings again but only as the virus allows! Dial it back if needed! Once under control, rapid isolation, contact tracing and of course massive testing initiatives! This isn’t new this is what the playbook has been since the 1918 pandemic. No politics just science! NYC is actually an amazing case study. Do what they did!

NYC fucked up badly and had all sorts of avoidable deaths.  The last thing I want my state to do is to repeat their dumbfuckery.  

Two easily avoidable things — don’t put infected people into nursing homes and don’t wait until mid May to start cleaning subways.  

Can you guys please stop bringing up New York, especially in the Texas thread? It's like a bat signal for the worst poster on the DT, who then derails the thread with stupidity for several pages until he gets embarrassed so badly that he slinks away and hides out for a few days until someone else brings New York up again.

We were doing so well.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 9

Here’s to Texas and the other states keeping the deaths low in the dark times of the foreseeable future.

Question for the pros...so say the deaths don’t spike like the cases do, is it a Forgone conclusion that the virus lost its potency between now and late March?

Hopefully it ends up like that.

Didn’t know. Thanks. I just want to go from panic inducing levels to a base that lets us test and contact trace but otherwise be modestly open and ride this out. I don’t think we Texans really have it in us to sacrifice for the common good. We are the epitome of American when it comes to independent streaks. God help us.

• Like 3

None of this is shocking. In fact, what IS shocking is the absolute lack of leadership from the govt

From opening too quickly and too early, to not requiring a facemask until now, to being recationary about everything and not proactive at all..... it is absolutely going to get worse before it gets better

We wont “shut down” again, but a fuck ton of stuff is going to start closing next week... either because of positive covid tests or mandate from the govt

Id say by 4th of july (like ive been saying since before memorial day), we’ll know just how fucked we are.

The sad thing is, there will likely be a post-4th of july spike at the end of july to put a cherry on top of this shit sundae

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The only real gripe I have is with the colorization of his phases. The current phase should have been yellow not green. It gives too many people the false impression that everything is a-ok and this is all behind us. 

49 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Can you guys please stop bringing up New York, especially in the Texas thread? It's like a bat signal for the worst poster on the DT, who then derails the thread with stupidity for several pages until he gets embarrassed so badly that he slinks away and hides out for a few days until someone else brings New York up again.

We were doing so well.

Sorry about that. I assumed fuck face was too busy googling “why hospital overflows are actually a good thing” to notice. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Question for the pros...so say the deaths don’t spike like the cases do, is it a Forgone conclusion that the virus lost its potency between now and late March?

Possibly because viruses tend to mutate to less potent forms BUT we are just now ramping up for new cases. Hospitalizations lag a week or two behind then deaths by another week or two. We have gotten much better at treating the critical cases. We are better at sheltering the 80+ population which makes up a huge chunk of the deaths. 

• Like 3

Possibly because viruses tend to mutate to less potent forms BUT we are just now ramping up for new cases. Hospitalizations lag a week or two behind then deaths by another week or two. We have gotten much better at treating the critical cases. We are better at sheltering the 80+ population which makes up a huge chunk of the deaths. 

True.

Biding our time so scientists and doctors can learn how to treat this is huge.

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such