Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

2 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Why do all the high school kids wear sweatshirts to school now when it’s 100 degrees out

I play basketball during my lunch hour at a local gym. About a month ago a high schooler played with us in a hoodie. I thought he was going to pass out from a heat stroke. What an idiot.

I ended up loaning him a tank top to finish the game in.

38 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I play basketball during my lunch hour at a local gym. About a month ago a high schooler played with us in a hoodie. I thought he was going to pass out from a heat stroke. What an idiot.

I ended up loaning him a tank top to finish the game in.

Does he like gladiator movies?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Why do all the high school kids wear sweatshirts to school now when it’s 100 degrees out

Daughter is 14. She says to me dad there’s two kinds of weather. Hoodie weather and the kind of weather where you wear a hoodie anyway.

This is Phoenix. Makes zero sense.
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:11 PM, deadshank said:

How did drunken, slurring voiced Louisiana skank Lucinda Williams ever get a recording contract? She has the worst voice ever.  

Fight me. 

Earlier in her career her producers would rein her in a bit. Now that she is the Queen of Americana, she answers to nobody and you get all that ridiculous caterwauling.  I heard some new shit of hers about a year ago and I was dying laughing -- I thought it was a Lucinda parody but as I kept listening, the band was far too good for a joke band. 

It was this one:

On 8/17/2021 at 1:13 PM, Underdog said:

IHop is the only restaurant worth waiting that amount of time for. 

Vomiting in movies - why they have to show that shit?  Can't they just make the motion/sound effect off camera?  Jungle Cruise had a couple of characters ralphing it up due to motion sickness, no need for that shit. 

Every single prestige HBO series I've ever loved has a vomiting scene or two. I hate them too but generally if there's puking it will be good otherwise. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

17 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Earlier in her career her producers would rein her in a bit. Now that she is the Queen of Americana, she answers to nobody and you get all that ridiculous caterwauling.  I heard some new shit of hers about a year ago and I was dying laughing -- I thought it was a Lucinda parody but as I kept listening, the band was far too good for a joke band. 

It was this one:

Every single prestige HBO series I've ever loved has a vomiting scene or two. I hate them too but generally if there's puking it will be good otherwise. 

I had never heard of her, so I listened to a little bit of that.  Good lord, she is awful.  Usually when you hear a voice like that it is coming from a woman in her forties, with a Marlboro hanging from her mouth, in a Walmart, saying something like,  "Come to Mama, boy.  Let's get them britches offa you."  And you're not in the clothing section.  And she's not talking to a child.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
Your, you're. Damn.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Daughter is 14. She says to me dad there’s two kinds of weather. Hoodie weather and the kind of weather where you wear a hoodie anyway.

This is Phoenix. Makes zero sense.

My little sister did this in the mid 90s and it turns out she wasn't just trying to start a trend but she was covertly hiding pregnancy. 

I was up in Pinetop at a park with my kid a few weeks ago when a van full of teens pulled up and all the girls were wearing sweatshirts.....puzzling. 

21 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

My little sister did this in the mid 90s and it turns out she wasn't just trying to start a trend but she was covertly hiding pregnancy. 

I was up in Pinetop at a park with my kid a few weeks ago when a van full of teens pulled up and all the girls were wearing sweatshirts.....puzzling. 

Maybe they were trying to covertly hide that they all just got pregnant in that creepy van.   

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I had never heard of her, so I listened to a little bit of that.  Good lord, she is awful.  Usually when you hear a voice like that it is coming from a woman in her forties, with a Marlboro hanging from her mouth, in a Walmart, saying something like,  "Come to Mama, boy.  Let's get them britches offa you."  And you're not in the clothing section.  And she's not talking to a child.

And it's all fake -- her dad was a semi-famous poet and English professor. Her dad's teaching gigs were in the South, at least, but Lucinda has been hanging out with the hipsters of her era since she was a kid. I wonder if she's ever even been in a Wal-Mart.  

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And it's all fake -- her dad was a semi-famous poet and English professor. Her dad's teaching gigs were in the South, at least, but Lucinda has been hanging out with the hipsters of her era since she was a kid. I wonder if she's ever even been in a Wal-Mart.  

She didn't get the memo that all lyrics must be replaced by "whooooaa, whooooaaa."

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, brakeman said:

Probably covered here long ago but the back-in parkers can fuck-off forever and piss up a rope and feel the pissy dribble.

This has been covered extensively in the trivial things that piss you off. And you’re wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nnm said:

This has been covered extensively in the trivial things that piss you off. And you’re wrong. 

Happy hour is in 10 minutes at his local chili's. NNM gets in his truck pulls out of his suburban garage and rolls off down the block then suddenly he remembers that he has forgotten his iphone on the pool patio bar in his backyard. He circles around the block to retrieve his iphone. When he arrives at his house, he rolls past his address and checking his back-up camera slowly rolls into his drive-way in reverse like the gentleman that he most accurately is. Then he exist his truck to retrieve his misplaced iphone.

·         MMM, am I right, now?

Because back-up parking matters.

#BUPM

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, brakeman said:

Happy hour is in 10 minutes at his local chili's. NNM gets in his truck pulls out of his suburban garage and rolls off down the block then suddenly he remembers that he has forgotten his iphone on the pool patio bar in his backyard. He circles around the block to retrieve his iphone. When he arrives at his house, he rolls past his address and checking his back-up camera slowly rolls into his drive-way in reverse like the gentleman that he most accurately is. Then he exist his truck to retrieve his misplaced iphone.

·         MMM, am I right, now?

Because back-up parking matters.

#BUPM

Yup, and I didn’t back over any small pets or children as I exited the garage either time, because I visually cleared the parking space when I drove past it. 
But it was Applebee’s, not Chili’s. Chili’s gives me gas. 

(had to check the spelling/punctuation of Chili’s and Applebee’s. Misplaced apostrophes make me surly).

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tbone_ said:

For the life of me I can’t think of a bigger waste of energy than having beef with someone for back in parking.

Oh I can, like trying to convince some "random" mouth breather that the Grateful Dead are in fact a great, and influencial rock band in the pantheon of rock music.

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Back in parking is situational to the extreme. If nobody else is around who gives a fuck? But yeah, if you are gonna hold up a line of cars doing it, you are contributing to unrest in society.

because when someone backs out of a parking space, nobody has to wait, right?

It isn't necessarily a time-saving measure.  IT's a wash, timewise.   It's about the visibility of a clear area into which to back.  Safety, not time.

We know this board is all about everyone being safe 100% of the time while out in public.   Get with the program...

4 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

So, is it the ACT of back up parking or the parking position y'all have a beef with? I won't back into a parking space because it isn't worth the time, but If I have the opportunity to pull through and park in a space so that I don't have to back up to get out of it I'll do that.

Pulling through is much preferred.  Never having to back is best!

At my office, I have to back in to my assigned spot otherwise it takes like a 10 point turn to get my truck into it due to its shitty turning radius. I have always frowned on back-in parkers but I now understand the limited situations when it makes sense.

The pull through parkers that piss me off are the ones that pull through in an angled spot. They then leave against traffic inevitably causing traffic jams in the parking lot.

14 hours ago, brakeman said:

Probably covered here long ago but the back-in parkers can fuck-off forever and piss up a rope and feel the pissy dribble.

Drove by a oilfield business parking lot in Cuero about 7 years ago, 20 plus trucks all backed into their spots.  I bet all of them had yeti stickers and were wearing fishing shirts.  I’m in the business and don’t understand how fishing shirts became the normal dress code, some wear the same exact style shirt but a different color every day.  

34 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Drove by a oilfield business parking lot in Cuero about 7 years ago, 20 plus trucks all backed into their spots.  I bet all of them had yeti stickers and were wearing fishing shirts.  I’m in the business and don’t understand how fishing shirts became the normal dress code, some wear the same exact style shirt but a different color every day.  

Guilty.  My best guess is that it came about through old bullshit dress code rules where men had to wear a “collared shirt” all the time.  Before the fishing shirts fad it was either Oxford button ups or polos and the fishing shirts were nicer especially if you had to spend any amount of time outside in 90+ degree heat.  Wearing a full suit and tie when you work downtown and have to walk more than a block was just idiotic.  The shirts are also pretty stain resistant and most are low maintenance and don’t require ironing (not all but the ones in my regular rotation are).  I mix in a few tshirts from time to time, and a button up when I have a big meeting or presentation but fishing shirts have become pretty standard for me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 8:17 PM, Harrison Bergeron said:

Here here. Nothing deflates my wood like seeing a hot chick and then seeing her sleeve or titoo or thigh - leg tats.

I dated a girl that was a Beatles fanatic. She had Paul tattooed on the inside of her left thigh and John tattooed on the inside of her right thigh.  

We went out a few times and when the big moment happened back at her place after a night of drinking and carousing she peeled of her jeans and undies, laid back on the bed and asked me “who do you see?”

I was still a little drunk, looked left and then right and said “I don’t know who the to fellas on the left and right are but the guy in the middle is definitely Willie Nelson”

• Haha 9

Fishing shirts can sometimes have UV protection built in too. Makes sense if you work outside.

Backing into a spot can be faster if you have a long vehicle with a bad turn radius, especially with modern backup cameras. You can manuever in tight spaces at slow speeds better when reversing. That's why you are supposed to reverse when parallel parking.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

I’m new to the fishing shirt game but I’m fully bought in. They work great for working outside and are very comfy. Biggest thing is they dry quickly, which is a boon for my sweaty man bod. 

Yengling beer. Or however the fuck you spell that. The bottom line is it’s a perfectly ordinary, average, forgettable beer.  If you like old shit for the sake of nostalgia that’s fine but stop telling me how great this beer is because it’s not.
And while we’re at it, people that are hard-core into anything from the East Coast or the Midwest can pretty much just shut the fuck up about all of it.  Nobody else cares. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

100% Team fishing shirt & have been well before the rest of you posers even thought about it.  98% of my working time is in the sun & I'll wear that long sleeved shirt every possible moment.  It's my uniform, whether professional or not.  You get that as a package deal with the cowboy hat.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Yengling beer. Or however the fuck you spell that. The bottom line is it’s a perfectly ordinary, average, forgettable beer.  If you like old shit for the sake of nostalgia that’s fine but stop telling me how great this beer is because it’s not.
And while we’re at it, people that are hard-core into anything from the East Coast or the Midwest can pretty much just shut the fuck up about all of it.  Nobody else cares. 

Yeah, it's just a decent lager on a hot day. Nothing special about it, but it is the oldest brewery in the country, and that is kind of special.  

History do you recognize it ?

I don’t get opinions about beer in general. Beer is beer. Yea I said it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

100% Team fishing shirt & have been well before the rest of you posers even thought about it.  98% of my working time is in the sun & I'll wear that long sleeved shirt every possible moment.  It's my uniform, whether professional or not.  You get that as a package deal with the cowboy hat.

been spending a lot of time on the water this Summer so I got my first one in May.  Great for keeping the sun off my oldish skin.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

been spending a lot of time on the water this Summer so I got my first one in May.  Great for keeping the sun off my oldish skin.

I bought my pops one for his bday as he spends a ton of time working outside at the farm. He is officially on board. Wears them with his suspenders sometimes bc he is a fuckin PIMP.