Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

For you guys that wear multiple rings and/or bracelets...when do you decide to stop and just head out for the day?  I wear a wedding band.  I get if you wear one more like a class ring, military ring, something incredibly sentimental from a family member or dead friend or whatever.  But after 2...I see a lot of guys that wear several more.  How do you decide what's enough?  Do you wear different amounts for different days/events?  Tuesdays are 7 rings, Thursdays are 4 rings, kinda deal?  
And then with bracelets, how do you decide that's enough for today?  The watch, the two consciousness bands, the Nepalese healing beads, the silver one, the chrome one, the rose gold one, or whatever.  Like 3 or 4 or 5 different things on each wrist.  How do you decide when it's enough to leave the house?  

Or is just the same exact regiment of rings and bracelets every single day?  

EFt7dbQWoAAvhnU.jpg

(ducks)

On 8/13/2021 at 7:12 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My first ex came from a big aggy family.  When her brother got married he wouldn't stop wearing his aggy ring on his left hand so he had his wedding ring soldered to it.

To his hand?  That's hard core.

Here's what I don't get:  people that will wait over an hour to eat at a restaurant.  Or people that will wait thirty minutes for a drink at Starbucks.

20 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Here's what I don't get:  people that will wait over an hour to eat at a restaurant.  Or people that will wait thirty minutes for a drink at Starbucks.

Fuck no I ain't waiting 30 minutes for my coffee fix.

I'll wait an hour if they have a good bar, and I know going in it could be an hours wait, and we can get an appetizer with our drinks. Am I waiting in some lobby an hour, no fucking way..

Little League World Series. Mainly, grown men getting excited for this. I get the nostalgia factor and taking you back to those days. But unless your kids or someone's kids you know are playing, no idea what the appeal is watching little kids play on tv. And not to mention these kids are playing on a field well below their skill level. 

• Hook 'Em 7

On 8/15/2021 at 8:06 PM, closetohumping said:

IHop is the only restaurant worth waiting that amount of time for. 

Vomiting in movies - why they have to show that shit?  Can't they just make the motion/sound effect off camera?  Jungle Cruise had a couple of characters ralphing it up due to motion sickness, no need for that shit. 

31 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Little League World Series. Mainly, grown men getting excited for this. I get the nostalgia factor and taking you back to those days. But unless your kids or someone's kids you know are playing, no idea what the appeal is watching little kids play on tv. And not to mention these kids are playing on a field well below their skill level. 

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the guy on sports radio the other day (DFW) stated that these teams aren't even that good and, that a decent traveling, club baseball team would destroy them.

46 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Maybe those are the guys that Apple is looking for

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Vomiting in movies - why they have to show that shit?  Can't they just make the motion/sound effect off camera?  Jungle Cruise had a couple of characters ralphing it up due to motion sickness, no need for that shit. 

family guy vomit GIFvomit GIF

35 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

All of this. Never understood why it’s on national cable tv or the people who watch it. 

We covered this last year. Watching LLWS takes me back to the days of coaching and watching my son, and being coached by my recently deceased dad. The joy and love of the sport at that level is purer than at any other, and brings back those days. It’s fun, and there’s nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I love watching LL baseball, especially the LLWS (NO PEDO !!!)

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

E6754381-89E9-49D9-8034-AD7CC1802808.gif.9e1d0a34fab3506b8bcf4012ba0fe230.gif

On 7/31/2021 at 5:26 PM, bluto said:

Tattoos, seems like 90% of the adult population under 30 has one.

Tattoos are part of the culture. Hell I've got a sleeve on tattoos on my left arm and have a corporate job. The culture, especially in the workplace, has changed drastically over the last decade. My bosses have seen my tattoos and don't give a shit about them as long as I'm getting work done and being productive. 

I have tattoos because I like them, but also my parents have them. My dad has tattoos and so does my mom. Funny thing is my dad, who is in his late 60s, didn't start getting tattoos until he was in his mid 50s. 

• Like 2

While in the Navy in Rabat, Morocco...my father was on leave.  Did drugs for the one and only time in his life, smoked hashish with some locals he befriended.  And was probably also a few drinks in and decides he's gonna get a tattoo.  This is in the early 1960's.  If you wanted a tattoo, you'd have to have first seen some shit.  And he had.  So he's sitting the tattoo "Parlor", which I think on the outskirts of Rabat, is a guy in an alley who has washed his hands and needle sometime that week.  His buddy's are all getting inked and he gets cold feet.  Tells me the sun was rising behind them, and it's starting to shimmer off the sands and the ocean.  Realized he hasn't seen anything yet beautiful enough to commemorate with a spot on his body.  Maybe some day, but not that day.  So he gets out of the Navy years later, probably the only guy without a tattoo.  He told me that story as a cautionary tale of, "When you see something so magnificent, you have to put in on your body...I'll understand and I'll even pay for it.  But you're 22...you ain't seen shit yet."  I'm twice that old now and the smiles of my daughters are the most beautiful things in the universe.  But even those aren't going on my hairy chest.  

52 minutes ago, Lobo said:

While in the Navy in Rabat, Morocco...my father was on leave.  Did drugs for the one and only time in his life, smoked hashish with some locals he befriended.  And was probably also a few drinks in and decides he's gonna get a tattoo.  This is in the early 1960's.  If you wanted a tattoo, you'd have to have first seen some shit.  And he had.  So he's sitting the tattoo "Parlor", which I think on the outskirts of Rabat, is a guy in an alley who has washed his hands and needle sometime that week.  His buddy's are all getting inked and he gets cold feet.  Tells me the sun was rising behind them, and it's starting to shimmer off the sands and the ocean.  Realized he hasn't seen anything yet beautiful enough to commemorate with a spot on his body.  Maybe some day, but not that day.  So he gets out of the Navy years later, probably the only guy without a tattoo.  He told me that story as a cautionary tale of, "When you see something so magnificent, you have to put in on your body...I'll understand and I'll even pay for it.  But you're 22...you ain't seen shit yet."  I'm twice that old now and the smiles of my daughters are the most beautiful things in the universe.  But even those aren't going on my hairy chest.  

My kids all know my feeling on tattoos, stolen from someone else I don’t recall. 
A tattoo is like pregnancy. A permanent reminder of a temporary feeling. 

Everchanging business/ marketing lexicon:

Have heard the phrase "Lift and shift" at least 5-6 times in meeting/ call settings in the past 10 days or so.

E'rybody playing Gran Turismo or GTA?

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

Everchanging business/ marketing lexicon:

Have heard the phrase "Lift and shift" at least 5-6 times in meeting/ call settings in the past 10 days or so.

E'rybody playing Gran Turismo or GTA?

This.  Marketing.  There is a big event coming up in about 3 weeks for the mining industry in Vegas.  It is every 4 years.  This is my 7th time to attend so I am a veteran on how it goes.  So far we have set in on numerous meetings with MarComm on how things go and have heard, endlessly, all of the marketing buzzwords of the day.  The problem with MarComm is that they have never set across the table from a customer.

We have some newbies going to the event and they were in my office after the most recent meeting with MarComm.  They were a bit nervous about the event based upon all of what MarComm was saying.  I told them not to worry and to just do your job.  I used the analogy of what Mike Tyson says about boxing, "You have a plan until the first punch is thrown".

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'm okay with people having tattoo's and in college I was a friend being slightly more drunk away from having one.  However my perspective on them is this.  When I was little I had a Members Only jacket, wore a bright orange OP shirt and wished I had parachute pants.   Getting a tattoo is like deciding that you will wear the same Members Only jacket, OP shirt and parachute pants for the rest of your life.  

• Like 2

I’m totally fine with it.  It’s never influenced a hiring decision, a scholarship decision, or anything like that for me.  Between my camera phone and an encyclopedic memory, I’ve just never needed to remember an image by putting a tattoo of it on my body like the dude in Memento.  

I also worry that the guy in front of me at the tattoo parlor, located between a Jamba Juice and nail salon, will be explaining that he’d like get some ink that commemorates the summer he lived in New York and became vegan.  And I’m going to have to murder him.  And then my jailhouse tat won’t be as good as the one I was about to get sat from a professional.  

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Tattoos are part of the culture. Hell I've got a sleeve on tattoos on my left arm and have a corporate job. The culture, especially in the workplace, has changed drastically over the last decade. My bosses have seen my tattoos and don't give a shit about them as long as I'm getting work done and being productive. 

I have tattoos because I like them, but also my parents have them. My dad has tattoos and so does my mom. Funny thing is my dad, who is in his late 60s, didn't start getting tattoos until he was in his mid 50s. 

I'm 58, never had a tattoo, but am considering a small shoulder tattoo now of a cross section thru the Pantheon in Rome. I've always liked tattoos, I think they're a long held, cross cultural tradition by different people the world over.  Hell the Pharoahs in Egypt had henna tattoos I believe.

I don’t care if employee has tattoos. When our customers/ decision makers started having them visible, I started to relax a lot about my old feelings on them. I had a very old-school approach, even though I have tattoos. They just weren’t out in the open. Now,  I just really don’t care.

The person I would consider my very best employee has full sleeves on both arms. One of my female bosses also has ink from wrists all the way up. It just flat out does not make a difference.

Edited by slorch

I would think it's a different "skill set" or "Talent."  Your job isn't to envision nor to create as a tattoo guy.  It's really more about accurate reproductions of drawings, right?  Or do most people walk in nowadays and say, "Give me something amazing on my sleeve." 

I dunno, most ink I see-the story is the person had the vision for it and either drew it or had a friend who could draw well do it, then they take it in to the parlor and have it accurately reproduced using ink and skin.  You'd have to be pretty ballsy or pretty drunk to walk in, look at the wall of options, and say, "Nah, fuck it...do your thing man...really explore the space."  But I'm sure it's happened countless times.  

On 8/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, elfenix said:

Sister bought a house. Her house has a party wall.

Party wall neighbor decided to light up his fire pit tonight. In his garage.

Had to google to look those up.  They vary widely from you basically bought a apartment with a thin wall in between to shared area or living space in between.  

45 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Holy shit. I used to go to that boondoggle and we'd piss away so much money on customers. Good times. Good times.

Yep, it was supposed to have been last September but....Covid.  This year it will still be interesting to see how it turns out since many of the international folks will not be attending.

• Hook 'Em 1

My son got his 1st tattoo at 24, 2 years ago. He showed it to me and asked to see mine. I told him I didn't have any. He just said "oh" like he was a little kid when got in trouble (which really hardly ever happened). He says he just assumed I had gotten one at some point when I was in the Air Force. I proceeded to tell him to relax and I was also surprised myself that I didn't have any tats considering how drunk (and maybe a little high) I had been in 1 or 2 of the places I had been in those 8 years. He's gotten 2 more since then. I love that "kid".

To hide their heroin addiction.  I honestly don't understand it though.  We all remember the pressure to fit in during high school, but that's just a bridge too far.

"Dude, we're all wearing hoodie sweatshirts for school."
"Oh you mean, like later this Fall for homecoming?"

"No, everyday in August and September." 

"Okay, cool...I'm gonna hang with the goth kids then.  It may be all black, but they allow short sleeves to show off our temporary tattoos."