Explosion in Beirut

Pancho

49 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I never scienced that good. But unless he got hit by debris that shockwave doesn’t really seem like it’d be lethal.

The shock wave was strong enough to damage the concrete building a couple of blocks away. It was probably like getting hit with sledgehammers all over his body. Here's a video of a guy's car getting demolished from across the got damn bay:

If you weren't in some kind of shelter within a mile of that explosion, you're getting rattled to death.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The shock wave was strong enough to damage the concrete building a couple of blocks away. It was probably like getting hit with sledgehammers all over his body. Here's a video of a guy's car getting demolished from across the got damn bay:

If you weren't in some kind of shelter within a mile of that explosion, you're getting rattled to death.

I was reading today that the human body is much more resistant to explosive damage than rigid structures. Because our bodies are much softer they are actually better at absorbing the blast. 

So a blast could shatter a window or tear up flimsier structures but leave a human relatively unscathed. 

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I was reading today that the human body is much more resistant to explosive damage than rigid structures. Because our bodies are much softer they are actually better at absorbing the blast. 

So a blast could shatter a window or tear up flimsier structures but leave a human relatively unscathed. 

Flimsier structures, sure. But to break up concrete like that requires a shock wave with 10 pounds per square inch of overpressure. That is equal to winds of 294 mph. I have a link to the CDC pdf that covers it, but I'm not sure how the board handles PDF links. 3 psi is enough to collapse a house, but fatalities aren't guaranteed.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Flimsier structures, sure. But to break up concrete like that requires a shock wave with 10 pounds per square inch of overpressure. That is equal to winds of 294 mph. I have a link to the CDC pdf that covers it, but I'm not sure how the board handles PDF links. 3 psi is enough to collapse a house, but fatalities aren't guaranteed.

I think you're overselling it still. If this thing killed everyone within a mile then the reported casualties are extremely low.

Just playing with this tool lhttps://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/) - even at the highest estimate I've seen of 1.3kt - the blast would drop below 5psi overpressure after about 500m. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think you're overselling it still. If this thing killed everyone within a mile then the reported casualties are extremely low.

Just playing with this tool lhttps://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/) - even at the highest estimate I've seen of 1.3kt - the blast would drop below 5psi overpressure after about 500m. 

Maybe. A lot of unknowns with this, still. Either he was closer than what people thought, the blast is bigger than what people are currently estimating, or he's just one really unlucky dude. RIP either way, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Maybe. A lot of unknowns with this, still. Either he was closer than what people thought, the blast is bigger than what people are currently estimating, or he's just one really unlucky dude. RIP either way, unfortunately.

Or he’s not dead just because some chick on twitter says he is. Also that vid doesn’t look like a livestream.

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Beirut officials brought in Chinese consultants to count the dead guaranteeing that the death count will be low.  

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well if they don't count then nobody actually died right?

Or is that just COVID?

Probably just managing the optics 2020 style.  This will be the new go to for all disasters going forward.  You know “we couldn’t have killed our own people if there are no dead bodies”

Edited by stork642

We have an acquaintance who lives in Beirut. They’re far enough away from the port that they’re ok, but her limited info shared with us is that it’s been and will be “devastating.”

Estimates of around 30,000 people homeless. And Lebanon imports most of its food - their grain stores are all at the port, and they all got destroyed. So, an expected food crisis in short order.

Seems like 2020 should really eat a dick.

Had any group or nation taken credit for the bomb yet?  Usually doesn’t take this long, at least some group that had nothing to do with it will stake a claim to boost their rep.  

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

The explosion happened around 6/6:30 local time. It's in a warehouse area so makes me wonder how many lives were saved because it happened then and not during the heart of the day. Thinking many people might've already gone home. I do not know what kind of offices, residences or restaurants would be in the area either.

2 hours ago, Paco said:

Such a great movie. I posted a pic with this quote earlier. +rep for the actual vidjya!

We are much more hard wired by evolution to look in the direction of a loud noise to ascertain the problem and make a decision than we are to avoid glass because of shockwave fallout, something that’s basically rare and brand new in the grand scheme of human existence.  

what’s crazy though is all these footage vantage points and you can’t see the bomb attack from any of them.  That’s some impressive social media suppression.

fucking lulz. of course Russians are involved.

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/first-pictures-emerge-of-a-russian-businessman-whose-ammonium-nitrate-cargo-detonated-in-the-port-of-beirut/

The 2,750 tonnes cargo of Khabarovsk-born businessman Igor Grechushkin was detained in Lebanon in 2013.

information_items_7870.jpg

Igor Grechushkin is reported to be still residing in Limassol, Cyprus with his wife. Picture: The Siberian Times

The Russian father of one, currently reported to be living in Limassol, Cyprus, was accused by the crew of his ship in abandoning both the people and the cargo. 

The ship called Rhosus was going under the flag of Moldova from Batumi in Georgia to Mozambique. It was detained in October 2013 by Lebanese authorities after it stopped in Beirut due to a malfunction on board. 

The cargo was checked and detained after the port authorities said it was ‘lacking documents and conditions necessary for transportation.’

The crew - eight Ukrainian and two Russian men - was forced to stay on board of the vessel while the owner Grechushkin declared himself bankrupt and ‘abandoned the ship’. 

Lebanese authorities agreed to let six out of ten sailors to leave the country, others were left stranded on the ship for almost a year. 

‘The owner of the ship Igor Grechushkin effectively abandoned the ship and the remaining crew.

'He is not providing us with money, he completely deprived us of all means of communication.

'He told us that he went bankrupt and while I don’t believe him, the most important thing is that he gave up on both the people and the cargo’, wrote captain Boris Prokoshev back in June 2014 in a desperate plea to international organisations, diplomats, authorities of Ukraine and the authorities of the port of Beirut to release them. 

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/first-pictures-emerge-of-a-russian-businessman-whose-ammonium-nitrate-cargo-detonated-in-the-port-of-beirut/

The 2,750 tonnes cargo of Khabarovsk-born businessman Igor Grechushkin was detained in Lebanon in 2013.

Igor Grechushkin is reported to be still residing in Limassol, Cyprus with his wife. Picture: The Siberian Times

The Russian father of one, currently reported to be living in Limassol, Cyprus, was accused by the crew of his ship in abandoning both the people and the cargo. 

The ship called Rhosus was going under the flag of Moldova from Batumi in Georgia to Mozambique. It was detained in October 2013 by Lebanese authorities after it stopped in Beirut due to a malfunction on board. 

The cargo was checked and detained after the port authorities said it was ‘lacking documents and conditions necessary for transportation.’

The crew - eight Ukrainian and two Russian men - was forced to stay on board of the vessel while the owner Grechushkin declared himself bankrupt and ‘abandoned the ship’. 

Lebanese authorities agreed to let six out of ten sailors to leave the country, others were left stranded on the ship for almost a year. 

‘The owner of the ship Igor Grechushkin effectively abandoned the ship and the remaining crew.

'He is not providing us with money, he completely deprived us of all means of communication.

'He told us that he went bankrupt and while I don’t believe him, the most important thing is that he gave up on both the people and the cargo’, wrote captain Boris Prokoshev back in June 2014 in a desperate plea to international organisations, diplomats, authorities of Ukraine and the authorities of the port of Beirut to release them. 

I have to admit,  I don’t know...is “Siberian times” a reliable publication?   If it turns out any Russians had anything to do with this, I promise you with every dollar I can muster...the “attack” talk will stop immediately and an accidental narrative will take center stage and be proven out almost immediately.  

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Season 2 of ZeroZeroZero is going to be amazing

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Little kid in the first video handled it like a boss....window blows smack into his face, doesn't even appear to be crying.

probably because he was stunned by the sound and pressure waves and hes just trying to remember his fucking name

• Like 1