Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, and meanwhile, the ghost of Ignacio Hernandez is sitting in a chair at El Moderno in Piedras, laughing at the stupid gringos arguing about how to make his invention.

That idiot only ever put cheese and jalapeno slices on his nachos.  WTF does he know?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Well, maybe we’ll just have to agree to disagree but, I’ll leave you with this.

You're pretty confident in description #1, where you talk about a portioned chalupa, but isn't a true chalupa more of a shallow cup than a flat tortilla (i.e. a tostada)?

God forbid I offend any true chalupa afficianados.

And yes, a giant pile of chips topped with a single giant pile of other shit is stupid, which is why it has been debunked for the layered approach, which you ignored, but is actually all that is good and right in the nacho world, and you are hellspawn if you disagree.

• Haha 1

Nachos in every form are usually pretty damn good, I enjoy all forms of of nachos. 

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that nachos-- for lack of a better word -- are good.

Nachos are right.

Nachos work.

Nachos clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Nachos, in all of its forms -- nachos for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And nachos -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

0245eaa031f77d2b47f53753319ac4b4.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Pile of fajita nachos at this place in canyon, recharging after hiking palo duro. 

Despite the optical offense of having some naked chips visible from the side, the selection of ingredients and the amount of toppings provides for a pleasant and no chip left behind nacho experience. Note the use of a queso cheese to penetrate and mind the gaps, as well as a secondary cheese to bind and to vary the cheese structure. I think that a queso style cheese is really important with this style and that there should be some pooling of the cheese after filtering through the chip mass, ensuring a thin layer of queso on the plate to use with any stray chips. 

23-C9-DFCF-A54-D-4926-9015-143-EAD8-FC65

Order the chips on the side.

2 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Damn.  An Okie gringo (me) starts a nacho jihad. I always knew I’d be remembered for something…

And in classic Okie fashion you overestimate your contribution to a war that has been raging. The tostada lovers are running and trying to gather support  in unrelated threads. They will be defeated. They will not prevail.  

image.gif

On 7/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, Anastasis said:

Pile of fajita nachos at this place in canyon, recharging after hiking palo duro. 

Despite the optical offense of having some naked chips visible from the side, the selection of ingredients and the amount of toppings provides for a pleasant and no chip left behind nacho experience. Note the use of a queso cheese to penetrate and mind the gaps, as well as a secondary cheese to bind and to vary the cheese structure. I think that a queso style cheese is really important with this style and that there should be some pooling of the cheese after filtering through the chip mass, ensuring a thin layer of queso on the plate to use with any stray chips. 

23-C9-DFCF-A54-D-4926-9015-143-EAD8-FC65

Was that at Joe Taco?  

19 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Nachos in every form are usually pretty damn good, I enjoy all forms of of nachos. Cheese enchiladas are best when they have some onions cooked in and then a nother addition of fresh on top right when served. 

Stacked enchiladas are the pile of crap nachos of the enchilada world. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Deej said:

Stacked enchiladas are the pile of crap nachos of the enchilada world. 

Couldn’t be more wrong! Stacked or pancake style enchiladas are fucking good eating, especially with a fried egg on top.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:40 AM, futureman said:
On 7/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, CoTex said:

This is like playing cards with my brothers kids or something.  I’m embarrassed that I have to spell all this out.

This works three ways.  THREE WAYS assholes.

1.  If you like the individual nacho bite approach, what you really like (but are  ignorant of) is a cooked chalupa cut into 4-6 pieces by a large knife.  I call these pieces “nachos” (each individually a “nacho”).  Build the chalupa, cook the chalupa, cut the chalupa.  Maybe sprinkle on some peppers or pico at the end.  Serve sour cream and guacamole on the side.  Somewhere there exists a man named Ignacio and this product is his original creation. 

2.  If you like the pile of chips with a pile of stuff on top of it, what you really like is a lazy chef who probably learned to cook in the navy or Waffle House.  It’s his (or her or they/them) “Mexican” twist on “shit on a shingle.”  Edible yes - even tasty, but pretty much a pain in the ass to eat as stated by previous posters.  Often times you get cold ass soggy chips on the bottom.  This person should stick to serving seven layer dip or queso with chips.  Maybe make a casserole.  Their product is not nachos.  It does share the same ingredients.

3.  Oklahomans and the slow witted who cant figure out number 1 so they take chips and create individual nachos, 1 at a time.  I applaud these people for aiming at excellence but ultimately they are ignorant and destined for failure and humiliation.

Now carry on.

you just said it was a pain in the ass to eat a delicious nacho pile.  you sound soft and are probably from california. 

In fairness, he did name himself after a tampon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Deej said:

They aren't enchiladas. Not saying they aren't good. 

They're from Chihuahua and Sonoros, Mexico.  They're enchiladas.  They're literally called "enchiladas montadas" or "enchiladas chatas" in Mexico.

Edited by jimmyjazz
speling

3 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

Need a ruling: Do these things at Joe T Garcia’s count as nachos? These “nachos”, the skinny margaritas and the outside dining area are really the only reason I’ll go to JTGs.
fe40c8c642f728f14330e176398a2de6.jpg

No, that's a tostada. Or a chile con queso at some places. I believe I stated my belief in the steel shank thread that a nacho has to be a segmented tortilla. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No, that's a tostada. Or a chile con queso at some places. I believe I stated my belief in the steel shank thread that a nacho has to be a segmented tortilla. 

Yea that's definitely not nachos 

I agree. But the menu says you get “two cheese nachos” as an appetizer with some of their meals. So now I am going to go in there next time and call them out on their shit.

19 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

Need a ruling: Do these things at Joe T Garcia’s count as nachos? These “nachos”, the skinny margaritas and the outside dining area are really the only reason I’ll go to JTGs.

It becomes a nacho to some on this board if it's cut into 8 slices and placed around a pile of iceberg lettuce decoration. Making sure those slices don't touch of course.

Edited by Covri
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Covri said:

It becomes a nacho to some on this board if it's cut into 8 slices and placed around a pile of iceberg lettuce decoration. Making sure those slices don't touch of course.

Exactly.  Now you people are getting it.

19 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

If you at at El Moderno back in the day -- where the nacho was literally invented -- that's exactly what they'd serve you (well, the jalapeno wasn't diced, IIRC).  It's literally the original definition of a nacho.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If you at at El Moderno back in the day -- where the nacho was literally invented -- that's exactly what they'd serve you (well, the jalapeno wasn't diced, IIRC).  It's literally the original definition of a nacho.  

I don't think it's the ingredients of the dish in the photo that's raising the question, I think it's the size.  In the accounts I've read of Anaya's creation of the original nacho, I vaguely recall that it's specified that the tortilla was divided into chips and fried, rather than being a whole tortilla.  And then the toppings were placed on top, and baked.  

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't think it's the ingredients of the dish in the photo that's raising the question, I think it's the size.  In the accounts I've read of Anaya's creation of the original nacho, I vaguely recall that it's specified that the tortilla was divided into chips and fried, rather than being a whole tortilla.  And then the toppings were placed on top, and baked.  

You are correct, as to the tortilla being divided:

Como era muy temprano, la 1:00 de la tarde, y todavía no había nada listo, (otra versión dice que el restaurante estaba a punto de cerrar y ya no había comida), el jefe de meseros, algunos dicen que era jefe de comedor, Ignacio Anaya, fue a la cocina, cogió unas tortillas fritas cortadas en forma de triángulo que estaban en un tazón, queso tipo Wisconsin rayado, y se le ocurrió que estaría bien esparcir el queso encima de las tortillas, poner unas rajitas de chile jalapeño y meter todo al horno.

From https://vanguardia.com.mx/coahuila/piedras-negras/la-verdadera-historia-del-nacho-HPVG3252984

I sure couldn't go off of my memory.....last time I ate at El Moderno was probably in the early 90s.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, mdleast said:

67e01d863851c108de8180d50c502721.jpg

That woman is thinking … “you should add some japs (no racist) and pick up that taco like an adult and eat it instead of poking at it with that fork like some sort of weight watchers reject.”

I can see it in her ojos.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/4/2022 at 5:58 PM, Txslnghrns said:

That's Joe T Garcia's just straight up trolling surly. Nachos or Tostados? Stacked or not stacked?

• Haha 1