Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 10:24 AM, SimonBolivar said:

We allowing for Non-TexMex Northern Mexico enchiladas on here? Straight from the comal of my wife's 86 year old illiterate Zacatecan grandma.

image000003.thumb.jpg.ce081a483a683aa77944ef07ac57b132.jpg

409112998_image000001(1).thumb.jpg.f7fca9105be3d2e910b2ae31398e12f5.jpg

image000002.thumb.jpg.efa8efe08c59ce44fb2870292c2a8ea8.jpg

476683918_image000000(1).thumb.jpg.7928c055d6105658e41453a08f1d68d2.jpg

image000005.thumb.jpg.19f1dbdaf8d0838038e1f9ca364ea611.jpg

image000004.thumb.jpg.f1d74ba04806a4b9216c8487ead7ceb5.jpg

I just wanted to bring these pics over to the new page. +rep

• Drool 1

On 4/30/2022 at 7:50 PM, MalibuSheriff said:

El Rancho Grande (established 1950) in Tulsa with some legit goodness:E983E373-4F1E-48B8-BB09-330F93842A5A.thumb.jpeg.1789b0d1b4c966502c8f07582f587cfc.jpeg

Went to law school at TU in the early 90's.  Loved this place!  Once I saw a cockroach crawling up the wall next to me.  Did nothin.  Took another bite of my cheese and onion enchiladas.

SWCFROG

• Like 2

Went to law school at TU in the early 90's.  Loved this place!  Once I saw a cockroach crawling up the wall next to me.  Did nothin.  Took another bite of my cheese and onion enchiladas.

SWCFROG

You sir are nominated for surly of the month. Nonplussed by a roach. Kept eating the most Texas of all dishes. Truly WB Travis and Bob Wills would approve.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Dammit.  My son and I were in WF Friday & Saturday, and chose against Pioneer Friday night.  Went with Jefe's.  

Ironically, I had the cheese enchiladas, and they were "meh" to the 10th power.  Just so boring.  I knew I had a long day ahead on Saturday plus a 5-hour drove home to Austin Saturday night, so I didn't want to risk some kind of bubble-gut attack from random beef poisoning.  Maybe I guessed wrong.

I haven't been to Pioneer in more than 30 years so need to go the next time I’m in town.  I’m there a couple times a year so it’s all my fault. 

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, BearCountry11 said:

I’ve said it here before and I’ll say it again…Juan in a Million is grossly underrated with their cheese enchiladas. Amazing stuff.

63999902546aa46c6a162d9bd450bae9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.  But.....massive fail not getting refried beans.  JIAM has the best refrieds in town -- they ain't shy with the lard.  Seems weird to be talking up beans, but trust me on that one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed.  But.....massive fail not getting refried beans.  JIAM has the best refrieds in town -- they ain't shy with the lard.  Seems weird to be talking up beans, but trust me on that one.

Oh I hear you on that.  I love their refried and will order them with any other item on the menu.  But their enchilada gravy mixed with charro beans takes it to another level.  

• Hook 'Em 2

If a place is actually making frijoles refritos with lard that’s what I’m getting. So many places now just take their Charean beans to an immersion blender and call that refried beans. Which suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

they ain't shy with the lard.  Seems weird to be talking up beans, but trust me on that one.

Not weird at all; IMHO they’re a critical component. A joint that can make great refried beans will always get my business. 

I worked at a small fast food chain in the boondocks of Oklahoma the summer after my 17th birthday. One of my jobs before getting moved up to drive thru cashier was making the refried beans. We would actually use fresh beans, sort them, boil them in a pressure cooker, drain them, dump the cooked beans into a large plastic tub and then refrigerate them overnight. Next morning, we'd dump them in large cast iron pots with a shit-ton of lard and mash that shit up good. They were absolutely delcious served in a paper cup with a little taco meat, shredded processed cheese and knock off Taco Bell hot sauce. It was 1980, dry and hot as shit (check the climate records; one of the hottest on record for the time). Nothing better taking a break when your hungover from drinking too many quarts of 3.2 Coors Light at the lake the night before than a cup full of that while sitting in the walk in freezer during your mid-afternoon break.

• Hook 'Em 4

Reminds me of a friend who was the alcohol and cheese buyer for a Whole Foods location. I'd stop in to visit and he'd invite me back to their walk in cooler and tell me they couldn't sell damaged merchandise, then throw a case of Guinness Draft on the floor to dent the cans. Many a good summer afternoon drinking Guinness and eating triple cream Brie.

• Hook 'Em 1

You sir are nominated for surly of the month. Nonplussed by a roach. Kept eating the most Texas of all dishes. Truly WB Travis and Bob Wills would approve.

I was eating at Herbert’s Taco Hut in San Marcos and a mouse scurried across the floor right into the path of a 300+ pound waitress who crushed it under foot. She didn’t even notice and that mouse laid there twitching for a good minute before anyone noticed.
  • Haha 1

I was eating at Herbert’s Taco Hut in San Marcos and a mouse scurried across the floor right into the path of a 300+ pound waitress who crushed it under foot. She didn’t even notice and that mouse laid there twitching for a good minute before anyone noticed.

I’m assuming you continued to eat your tacos without regard to the mouse death throes.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Vic:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

For warming up, I use a little bacon grease on the bottom of the pan. 2-3 secs/side.

Easy peasy. Do it right and a quick wipe and warm of the cast iron and you’re done.

my wife uses the sauce to warm them up. Seems messy, but, that's what she does. 

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There are only a handful of restaurant losses over my decades that truly break my heart. That is one of them. I mean, while it was around, it clogged my heart, but still.

I think of all those lunches I foolishly wasted not going to Dart Bowl, just taking it for granted. I mean, I did go occasionally. But I could have gone an extra 29-30 times a month or so. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

So many good pics above but none of the enchiladas have white onions on top and thus they aren't complete.

I like onions cooked with the cheese inside then topped with raw on top of the chili. I also like melty American cheese inside with sharp cheddar on top.

I’m not a fan of eggs on top, unless I’m in New Mexico eating flat enchiladas with green chili on top.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:42 PM, Blotto said:

I think of all those lunches I foolishly wasted not going to Dart Bowl, just taking it for granted. I mean, I did go occasionally. But I could have gone an extra 29-30 times a month or so. 

One Man, One Thousand Worlds: Oskar Schindler | MY HERO

This ring could have bought 20 more Dart Bowl enchiladas

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, Wally Pryor said:

So many good pics above but none of the enchiladas have white onions on top and thus they aren't complete.

You are 100% correct. Must have onions on top to be true San Antonio style. The onions on top should be cooked with the enchiladas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, salonghorn said:

You are 100% correct. Must have onions on top to be true San Antonio style. The onions on top should be cooked with the enchiladas. 

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Raw, diced white onion on top is the correct way. 

Okay, which is it?  Or is it you spread the raw, white onions on top before you bake?

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Sprinkle on raw after cooking and plated. Besides flavor, you want some texture. 

11 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Onions inside to cook. Raw onions on top after the bake.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/27/2022 at 8:05 PM, Brisketexan said:

There are only a handful of restaurant losses over my decades that truly break my heart. That is one of them. I mean, while it was around, it clogged my heart, but still.

This man speaks truth!