Caddyshack

Nuge

“We brought Rodney in to the studio,” says Jon Peters, Caddyshack’s executive producer. “He comes in wearing this aqua-blue leisure suit and takes out a plastic bag and does two lines of coke. He undoes his shirt and says, ‘Where's the p----?’ ” It was a hell of a first impression. Dangerfield would end up getting $35,000 for his role. And though he would always credit Caddyshack for launching his movie career, he would often do so while complaining that he actually lost $150,000 on the film, having given up a month of headlining in Vegas to shoot it.

LOL.  

• Like 1

“So I jump ship in Hong Kong and I make my way over to Tibet. And I get on as a looper at a course over there in the Himalayas. . . .” You know the rest: “Gunga galunga . . . Gunga lagunga. . . . Total consciousness. . . . So I got that going for me. Which is nice.”

Big hitter the Lama

On 4/19/2018 at 6:33 AM, Underdog said:

Have caught the Behind the Scenes show on Caddyshack several times. 

They just ran it.  And then followed it up with Inside "Vacation."  Harold Ramis was fucking rolling with Animal House, Caddyshack, and Vacation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

They just ran it.  And then followed it up with Inside "Vacation."  Harold Ramis was fucking rolling with Animal House, Caddyshack, and Vacation.

Roll stripes, back to school, and ghostbusters into that run as well. Then Groundhog Day a few yrs later. 

“We got over everything,” says Chase. “The tension was short-lived. I have nothing but admiration and affection for Bill. He still can be a surly character, to say the least. But ultimately he’s a good guy. Even though I’m the number one star in the movie under the title, I’ll always think of Caddyshack as Billy’s movie.”

LOL.  Fucking Chevy can't even give a real compliment 40 years later.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:08 PM, Sbbruin said:

Rodney was truly the #1 star, and it's not even close.

Agreed...the three best characters in the movie were Al Czervik (Rodney), Carl Spackler (Bill Murray), and Judge Smails (Ted Knight) with best supporting actress nod to Lacey Underall (Cindy Morgan). 

• 3 months later...

It's insane how underrated Ted Knight was in that movie.  Go back and watch the line, "I have a number of tees in my hand your Honor.  Odd or Event?"  

Listen to the way Ted Knight says "Odd."  He's saying that it's weird that an employee would just be walking around with a bunch of golf tees in his pants.  One degree too serious or one degree to silly/dismissive and the line not only doesn't work, but it just feeds the notion that it's a sophomoric movie for idiots.  But he strikes a channel that only he can do.  The tossing of the lamp, the "Especially something as illegal as this...", the inspection of the pool later on.  There are plenty of guys who could've played the straight man in that movie.  But Ted elevated it.  He wasn't just the rich heel that they could pick on...he nuanced the shit out of those scenes.  Rodney, Bill, et. al.  They were the guys you wanted to hang out with.  But Ted Knight brought something to that role that took the subtlety of bad guy to an elegant elevation I haven't seen since.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

It's insane how underrated Ted Knight was in that movie.  Go back and watch the line, "I have a number of tees in my hand your Honor.  Odd or Event?"  

Listen to the way Ted Knight says "Odd."  He's saying that it's weird that an employee would just be walking around with a bunch of golf tees in his pants.  One degree too serious or one degree to silly/dismissive and the line not only doesn't work, but it just feeds the notion that it's a sophomoric movie for idiots.  But he strikes a channel that only he can do.  The tossing of the lamp, the "Especially something as illegal as this...", the inspection of the pool later on.  There are plenty of guys who could've played the straight man in that movie.  But Ted elevated it.  He wasn't just the rich heel that they could pick on...he nuanced the shit out of those scenes.  Rodney, Bill, et. al.  They were the guys you wanted to hang out with.  But Ted Knight brought something to that role that took the subtlety of bad guy to an elegant elevation I haven't seen since.  

What I love about Ted is his ability to play a character with seemingly no redeeming traits whatsoever yet he still has a strange charm to him. Of course off screen he was thought of as one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. Genius of an actor.

I never appreciated Ted Knight until this film. I'd seen him for years playing straight roles in B movies and TV. I just hated his character on MTM. Then along came Smails.  He was perfect for the role.

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Ted Knight and Rodney are the ones who make that movie.   Murray is great, too, of course, but he really isn’t on screen much.

Agreed.   Al Cervik is one of the top 5, or top 1, comedic characters of all-time.

And I tried to get him to laugh, so when he asked if I had a swimming pool, I said, ‘A pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.’ That’s all winging it. 

That's awesome that was improvised.  As was the free bowl of soup line.

I never appreciated Ted Knight until this film. I'd seen him for years playing straight roles in B movies and TV. I just hated his character on MTM. Then along came Smails.  He was perfect for the role.

Ted Baxter was simply a stupider Judge Smails. Both great.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Agreed.   Al Cervik is one of the top 5, or top 1, comedic characters of all-time.

My favorite Al Cervik quotes:

I think this place is restricted Wang, so don't tell 'em you're Jewish! OK, fine.

This is my friend Mr. Wang . . . no offense!

Hey! You scratched my anchor!

And the grand finale . . . .

tenor.gif?itemid=5467305

“We brought Rodney in to the studio,” says Jon Peters, Caddyshack’s executive producer. “He comes in wearing this aqua-blue leisure suit and takes out a plastic bag and does two lines of coke. He undoes his shirt and says, ‘Where's the p----?’ ” It was a hell of a first impression.

This is how I typically show up to any house party or neighborhood bbq.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah but Stripes can't hold a candle to Stryper!  Those guys rock!

Ted Stryper?  Never heard of him.  That's not exactly true.....we were like brothers once.  

On 4/23/2018 at 11:33 AM, PencilPusher said:

Agreed...the three best characters in the movie were Al Czervik (Rodney),

Carl Spackler (Bill Murray), and Judge Smails (Ted Knight) with best supporting actress nod to Lacey Underall (Cindy Morgan). 

This, I can get behind.

No homo

Edited by Al Czervik
spelling