Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

37 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Come on now, he got rid of a whole bunch of dead wood and scrubs who went 1-8 in conference last year and replaced then with 50-some new guys who will go... 1-8 in conference. 

TCU, Nebraska, and in-state rivals Colorado State (CU's opening football slate) have a combined 13-17 record at this point. BUT SUCH HUGE WINS!!

• Like 1

Not easy to start 3-0 and not make a bowl game. Presumably ending the season with 6 losses does not help recruiting. I know some will defend him that 4 wins is a big improvement over 1 win. No, it’s not.

In Sept, Deion could have convinced practically anyone to sign or transfer to CU. Not the case now, and he will have to put in the hard work to turn CU around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not easy to start 3-0 and not make a bowl game. Presumably ending the season with 6 losses does not help recruiting. I know some will defend him that 4 wins is a big improvement over 1 win. No, it’s not.

In Sept, Deion could have convinced practically anyone to sign or transfer to CU. Not the case now, and he will have to put in the hard work to turn CU around.

The team is unquestionably better than last year. They still are bad, but 2022 CU is one of the worst P5 teams I’ve ever seen. 

Deion is gonna hit the portal hard again. He’s had a small class recruited for almost the entire cycle, and there haven’t been a boatload of decommits.

Talking a bunch of shit so you get everyone’s best shot all season long when your team is bad probably didn’t do many favors though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In a fun twist, i've heard that 2 of the OL he ran off when he got there are now starting on top 15 teams. Casey Roddick at FSU is one. Cant find the other. Pretty hilarious.

Jared Wiley left us and did well at TCU.

Sometimes opportunities strike to hook up with a better team I guess. Not really Sander’s fault.

Seems like he is building his team and I doubt he doesn’t know he needs upgrades.

21 minutes ago, MrX said:

The team is unquestionably better than last year. They still are bad, but 2022 CU is one of the worst P5 teams I’ve ever seen. 

Deion is gonna hit the portal hard again. He’s had a small class recruited for almost the entire cycle, and there haven’t been a boatload of decommits.

Talking a bunch of shit so you get everyone’s best shot all season long when your team is bad probably didn’t do many favors though. 

BUT...

2021 CU was 4-8, 3-6 in conference

2020 CU was 4-2, 4-1 in conference 

2019 CU was 5-7, 3-6 in conference 

Obviously 2022 was an anomaly team that quit on the coaching staff and checked out. A competent coach who took over in a more normal fashion probably gets 4 wins as well this season, and that's without having a possible future NFL draft pick at QB. 

Deion's burn and portal method was definitely unique and also definitely a complete failure. It's all about trajectory, and starting 0-3 then going 4-5 to finish the season showing development would be considered much more successful than starting 3-0 with smoke and mirrors then finishing 1-8 with the team quitting on a first year HC who burned his OC 3/4 of the way through his first season. 

The rebuild just got much much tougher than if he had just done it the normal way. He now has to start from nearly ground zero and hope his kid can bounce back from all these injuries and actually stay healthy next season. I predict they have similar struggles next year, then his kid is gone and Deion bounces out of CU after year 2 with some excuses in hand. If he guts out a few more seasons really working hard to build it I'll have a lot more respect for him, but I'll be surprised. Grinding in relative obscurity with no hype to lay a foundation over 3 to 4 years just isn't the Deion way. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

BUT...

2021 CU was 4-8, 3-6 in conference

2020 CU was 4-2, 4-1 in conference 

2019 CU was 5-7, 3-6 in conference 

Obviously 2022 was an anomaly team that quit on the coaching staff and checked out. A competent coach who took over in a more normal fashion probably gets 4 wins as well this season, and that's without having a possible future NFL draft pick at QB. 

Deion's burn and portal method was definitely unique and also definitely a complete failure. It's all about trajectory, and starting 0-3 then going 4-5 to finish the season showing development would be considered much more successful than starting 3-0 with smoke and mirrors then finishing 1-8 with the team quitting on a first year HC who burned his OC 3/4 of the way through his first season. 

The rebuild just got much much tougher than if he had just done it the normal way. He now has to start from nearly ground zero and hope his kid can bounce back from all these injuries and actually stay healthy next season. I predict they have similar struggles next year, then his kid is gone and Deion bounces out of CU after year 2 with some excuses in hand. If he guts out a few more seasons really working hard to build it I'll have a lot more respect for him, but I'll be surprised. Grinding in relative obscurity with no hype to lay a foundation over 3 to 4 years just isn't the Deion way. 

I mean, Mel Tucker was there at the conclusion of 2019. Anybody watching CU then would’ve agreed they were at least trending in an OK direction. 

Then Tucker left in the middle of the night, COVID happened, they hired Dorrell which was a disaster.  The COVID year was smoke and mirrors where the entire Pac12 only finished with one ranked team and CU got annihilated by Casey Thompson in the bowl game. Dorrell finished bottoming out in 2022 and here we are.

2022 CU played in two one score games all year (1-1). They lost all games that weren’t one score by at least 20 points. They were the assiest of ass. 

2023 CU has played 7 one score games (3-4; only the Oregon State game didn’t feel like a one score game out of those) and have been truly blown out twice (Oregon; last night). UCLA and Oregon State had pretty comfortable wins. Otherwise CU’s been in every game until the end against a tough schedule. I’d say that’s improvement. 

1 minute ago, HuntinHorn said:

Hard to shut Neon Deion up, but Washington State had him on the sideline last night with a gold diamond encrusted muzzle.

Deion’s looked miserable in every game this year that started after 8:00 pm Mountain. Maybe his bedtime is 7:30 pm or something. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

IMO, Deion's biggest issue is going to be how he coaches/manages the coaches when he doesn't have an obvious talent advantage. Lots of ego's involved in P5 D1. 

If they have winning DNA it'll all work itself out. If they have lose in them deion can't do it won't do it. He'll tell them they have to get what they want and want what they get or some kind of transitive idiom like that. Nobody will know what it means but ESPN will insist that it's genius. Coaching. 

26 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm not saying Deion said it, but I completely ignore what coaches say about staying at a job when asked the stupid question by a reporter.  It doesn't mean anything and never has.

Yea it was actually worse he just responded by saying he is currently there when asked. He’s not going anywhere though 

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Started 5-0 in 2018 and lost the next 7.

4 hours ago, XForce said:

Your game picking rights are suspended until 2024. Sheesh.

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

My caveat was bull mess. And there were knee high piles of bull junk throughout. I specifically named a bull mess clause. 

I don’t know.

That’s like saying, “Colorado will win against Washington State, unless they lose”.

• Like 1