Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Excuse me if I’m wrong but weren’t you hyper critical of Becton his first year here? 

I was skeptical of Becton. Don't think I was critical of him because I didn't know much about him.

Moffitt has ties to Texas because several former Longhorns have gone on to work for him. But he will not outweigh the mediocrity that Elko brings. Just saying that this is a good hire, unlike any of Elko's other hires.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Melko appears to be embracing the Cold War heel role of the Soviets. There are populations that crave and need freedom, but there are also populations that need to be beaten, controlled, and abused in order to feel loved. He's going to be a beacon of stern hope for those players needing to have the morale crushed in order to be molded into better men. That's going to be the College Station Way. Maybe they will go to Junction for practices.

I laughed. In all seriousness, Elko is doing everything that made me despise Herman.

You don't need to make these type hires or other gimmicky shit to instill "toughness" and "physicality." That happens organically. Elko is pretty clearly going the opposite direction of innovative and embracing this "we are going to be tough" bullshit. 

You don't need 60 year old drill sergeants yelling at players in this day and age to be "tough." 

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

I was skeptical of Becton. Don't think I was critical of him because I didn't know much about him.

Moffitt has ties to Texas because several former Longhorns have gone on to work for him. But he will not outweigh the mediocrity that Elko brings. Just saying that this is a good hire, unlike any of Elko's other hires.

It’s just as mediocre as any of his other hires so far. 

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

He's not innovative, he's a hard ass in an era that pushes players away to the portal, and his last few LSU teams were some of the most injured teams in college football. 

You may have a hard-on for him but this looks like another OK but not great hire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

I paid (a lot--too much?) for my oldest to go to Syracuse. So I am gruntled at these developments and would like to think I am responsible, in some very, very small way.

Well, I'm assuming you were there during conception or was that a Ron McKelvey situation?

23 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He's not innovative, he's a hard ass in an era that pushes players away to the portal, and his last few LSU teams were some of the most injured teams in college football. 

If you say so. I was one of the first posters to sound the alarm on Shaggy about Wylie. But sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

If you say so. I was one of the first posters to sound the alarm on Shaggy about Wylie. But sure. 

Almost everyone was able to figure out that Wylie sucked at his job based on the number of injuries. I guess congrats on being first? 

The eye-opener for Wylie were all the injuries......ya know the same problem LSU had with Moffitt. 

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Almost everyone was able to figure out that Wylie sucked at his job based on the number of injuries. I guess congrats on being first? 

The eye-opener for Wylie were all the injuries......ya know the same problem LSU had with Moffitt. 

Uh, I pointed out that Wylie sucked when we hired him. His philosophy and Moffitt’s are miles apart. There’s a reason one guy has three rings and the other is Lincoln Riley’s fluffer.

Moffitt is not a Jerry Schmidt-type meathead and he didn’t lose his job in BR because of his performance. 

39 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

EMERGENCY LOOCH! Everyone should panic. A&M got beat out for a DC by TCU. LO-fucking-L! Yes, this is a fucked up situation.

If given the choice, wouldn’t you take the same money to work at a place that has actually accomplished something in the last 90 years?  I’m not a TCU fan anymore (see Briles, douchbag), but their brag sheet actually has some skins on the wall in this century, and they pay well. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They’re going all in on this “blue-collar” and “tough” mantra. This is going to fail so spectacularly but I’m going to enjoy every second of it. 

Yup that right there is what they teach you to do when building a team that performs highly inside an organization.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

37 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

According to Phil Steele, LSU finished 124th in starts lost to injury in '20 and 111th in starts lost to injury in '21. 

You're telling me an old-school drill sergeant that doesn't embrace innovation has a bunch of injuries? I am for one shocked. 

https://philsteele.com/2020-starts-lost-to-injury/

Gives them a reason to forfeit more bowl games. 

Edited by Deej

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

didn’t lose his job in BR because of his performance. 

He should have. 

Based on his last 2 years as the S&C coach at LSU they were near the bottom in "starts lost to injuries". As referenced above. 

I can't find the data on the '19 team, but it looks like they were also riddled with injuries. Over the last 3 years with Moffitt, I'm going to bet LSU was near the bottom in "starts lost to injury." That's shitty performance. You can't spin facts. The last 3 years with Moffitt, LSU had more injuries than just about anyone. It's almost like he's a relic that's 60 years old. 

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/lsus-injury-issues-what-we-know-about-the-status-of-8-key-players/article_6cf5a4cc-dcbe-11e9-8c0a-17b470355a66.html

Edited by Rickylovesweed

6 minutes ago, nnm said:

If given the choice, wouldn’t you take the same money to work at a place that has actually accomplished something in the last 90 years?  I’m not a TCU fan anymore (see Briles, douchbag), but their brag sheet actually has some skins on the wall in this century, and they pay well. 

I’d take the money to work somewhere that isn’t Texas A&M. It would take a lot more to choose to work there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Uh, I pointed out that Wylie sucked when we hired him. His philosophy and Moffitt’s are miles apart. There’s a reason one guy has three rings and the other is Lincoln Riley’s fluffer.
Moffitt is not a Jerry Schmidt-type meathead and he didn’t lose his job in BR because of his performance. 

So, assuming this is true, either every single collegiate coach in the country voluntarily passed on one of the top S&C coaches in the world for two years in a row for some reason OR he’s had multiple opportunities to get back and was just waiting for Mike fuckin Elko to come calling.

… or maybe a long, impressive resume is not indicative of someone’s ability to lead a 2024 football team’s S&C program.
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So, assuming this is true, either every single collegiate coach in the country voluntarily passed on one of the top S&C coaches in the world for two years in a row for some reason OR he’s had multiple opportunities to get back and was just waiting for Mike fuckin Elko to come calling.

… or maybe a long, impressive resume is not indicative of someone’s ability to lead a 2024 football team’s S&C program.

A prerequisite to any good S&C coach is simply having healthy players. It's the reason Wylie was so fucking bad beyond all the other obvious faults. 

It takes a grand total of 5 minutes to figure out that LSU was obliterated by injuries in Moffitt's final 3 years there. Anybody with half a brain would question hiring Moffitt based on how his tenure ended at LSU. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Or a 60+ year old is looking for 1 final payday before hanging them up for good without regard to where/who the money comes from. Those types of hires usually work out well right?

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

If he’s so good, has worked under national championship coaches, has built a home in Louisana, and has had so many opportunities… then why would he take a job for Mike fucking Elko.  He’s so sought after that he would willingly sign up for the dumpster fire in college station?  For an unproven HC?  With a roster that is running as far as they can?

Sounds like aggy was his best offer and that seems quality of programs that want him.  A program that can’t hire elite coaches and is settling….

30 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He should have. 

Based on his last 2 years as the S&C coach at LSU they were near the bottom in "starts lost to injuries". As referenced above. 

I can't find the data on the '19 team, but it looks like they were also riddled with injuries. Over the last 3 years with Moffitt, I'm going to bet LSU was near the bottom in "starts lost to injury." That's shitty performance. You can't spin facts. The last 3 years with Moffitt, LSU had more injuries than just about anyone. It's almost like he's a relic that's 60 years old. 

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/lsus-injury-issues-what-we-know-about-the-status-of-8-key-players/article_6cf5a4cc-dcbe-11e9-8c0a-17b470355a66.html

I have no horse in this race, but it's weird to place all blame for injuries on the S&C coach, especially when one of the years you're citing was the fucky COVID year that would have thrown all S&C routines into whack. I don't think injuries in two years with one being an asterisk is a good way to judge a multi-decade career.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

It's a "safe" hire.  The kind of hire that aggy will love.  This guy has hardware.  Dusty hardware, but nevermind that.   

They're probably over on texags workshopping a new nickname for this asshole as I write this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I have no horse in this race, but it's weird to place all blame for injuries on the S&C coach, especially when one of the years you're citing was the fucky COVID year that would have thrown all S&C routines into whack. I don't think injuries in two years with one being an asterisk is a good way to judge a multi-decade career.

I would say being near the bottom in starts lost to injury over a 3 year period is a pretty good indicator of systemic problems with S&C. The only problem in the context of injuries? Probably not. 

And I bet if you could find the data over the last 10 years, Moffitt would probably have a much longer history of injury problems.

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I would say being near the bottom in starts lost to injury over a 3 year period is a pretty good indicator of systemic problems with S&C. The only problem in the context of injuries? Probably not. 

And I bet if you could find the data over the last 10 years, Moffitt would probably have a much longer history of injury problems.

You only have two years of data, one of which was 2020. An article saying a bunch of guys are banged up means nothing. Pretty sure a bunch of them played the entire year anyways. The important guys certainly did. And your argument would really need a deeper dive of the injuries to be applicable.

I have no opinion of the guy, but the drill sergeant shtick is a bigger red flag to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

You only have two years of data, one of which was 2020. An article saying a bunch of guys are banged up means nothing. Pretty sure a bunch of them played the entire year anyways. The important guys certainly did. And your argument would really need a deeper dive of the injuries to be applicable.

I have no opinion of the guy, but the drill sergeant shtick is a bigger red flag to me. 

PYLEYOUNUMBSKULLYOUKNUCKLEHEADYOULAMEBRAIN

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

If he’s so good, has worked under national championship coaches, has built a home in Louisana, and has had so many opportunities… then why would he take a job for Mike fucking Elko.  He’s so sought after that he would willingly sign up for the dumpster fire in college station?  For an unproven HC?  With a roster that is running as far as they can?

Sounds like aggy was his best offer and that seems quality of programs that want him.  A program that can’t hire elite coaches and is settling….

This will be my last post “defending” the guy. I could have someone who worked for him and knows him well come post here instead, and maybe he will. 

Moffitt has been in BR for over 20 years. It is now his family home. He could have gone to work for Saban more than once in that time frame but did not because it was home. When Kelly let him go, he stayed because of family. At some point, a guy does have to decide how he’s going to finish out his working years. A&M is relatively close, I’m sure he’s getting paid well, and it’s time to go back to work. 

I agree that Elko is trying to ingrain a “blue collar” mentality in CS. I do not think this hire will change the culture because the problem there goes way beyond entitlement, but I do think it’s a good hire. Elko will still be gone within 5 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2