2020 World Series - Dodgers vs Rays

CowtownHorn

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Congratulations SBBruin and other Dodger fans...

Enjoy your championship.  Your team earned it.

My fantasy football league is 12 this year. We all grew up in Dallas and went to the same high school. No one went to college (or grad school) in LA and yet half of our league has lived in LA or currently lives there.

We needed to pull for Tampa Bay to be leading after 5 innings, because one of the guys has a gambling addiction, but then after that, we could all pull for the Dodgers.

Seeing Kershaw win was pretty nice as well, but I thought that Mookie was the MVP in the games that I watched. From about Game 5 or 6 of the NLCS -> on, he was the straw that stirred the drink. Power, average, speed on the base paths, his speed/glove/hops in the outfield... Mookie was the man.

Lastly, I was texting with a lady I worked with about 17-19 years ago in LA and who took me to a few Dodger games in the awesome seats that she and her brother and one or two others went in on. There were 4 seats together about 12 rows up from the 3rd base dugout and we'd get to those games about 90 minutes before the first pitch. Happy to see them win.

Congratulations SBBruin and other Dodger fans.
FWIW, I don't give a rip about the Turner deal.  That's just folks looking for an excuse to bitch.
For my earlier shots at Kershaw's PO results, I'm still happy for the Texas boy to have this on his resume. His two starts in this WS were stellar.  Happy for Josh Bard too.
Enjoy your championship.  Your team earned it.

Solid. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Solid. Thanks.

No more championships though. When two of your teams win titles in the same year I feel like that’s an automatic 10 year drought coming in from the sports gods lol. 

No but seriously, good shit man. You’ve gotten a lot of crap on this board especially over the dodgers. They deserved it probably more than any team in pro sports considering how they’ve played for the last decade.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

So the Dodgers played a COVID positive player?

COVID? The disease that has killed over 200,000 Americans.

But trash cans bad.

It’s just very predictable coming from you, as one of the noted insecure Astros fans on this board. Also, you weren’t kidding. You may have had the intention of it being a joke, but we know that ultimately you just can’t understand why everyone hates your team. So it was more of a “LOL JK....but seriously, what they did is worse. Get off our ass. Why do you hate us more”

Still caring what other fanbases think of your team. Go take notes on how the Patriots handle this shit.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s just very predictable coming from you, as one of the noted insecure Astros fans on this board. Also, you weren’t kidding. You may have had the intention of it being a joke, but we know that ultimately you just can’t understand why everyone hates your team. So it was more of a “LOL JK....but seriously, what they did is worse. Get off our ass”

Judging from your posts, you care way more about the Houston Astros than I do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Congrats to the Dodgers, that is a badass baseball team.

About this Turner thing. I don't really care except that Turner's behavior last night showed a total lack of person responsibility which is one of the major reasons we are spiking in cases again heading into the winter. I'm sure he was just caught up in the moment, but we need to do better.

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Everyone's reaction has been childish. That's why it's so funny.

The juxtaposition on how you treat people that don't agree with you politically or economically and the way you whine about the Astros ordeal is why it's funny.  Jesus, you're such a fucking can beating.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Congrats SBBruin, Wild Turkey, and the rest of the Dodgers fans.  

And congrats to us baseball fans.  We got a season, no matter how strange, and a post season.  While I long for watching playoff baseball with packed stadiums, in the year 2020 I should learn to be grateful for what we got.  Baseball to me is the great American pastime, and I'll miss it during the off season.

If a Vin Scully interview pops up, be sure to post  (or even repost) it.

• Like 3

Congrats SBBruin, Wild Turkey, and the rest of the Dodgers fans.  
And congrats to us baseball fans.  We got a season, no matter how strange, and a post season.  While I long for watching playoff baseball with packed stadiums, in the year 2020 I should learn to be grateful for what we got.  Baseball to me is the great American pastime, and I'll miss it during the off season.
If a Vin Scully interview pops up, be sure to post  (or even repost) it.

Yeah the fact we got a season, and an extended playoffs, in is kind of amazing. I remember thinking when rona cases were blowing up teams and games were getting postponed that the season would inevitably get cancelled. Which would have been typical Dodger luck as this was the best team we've had through this entire run. Glad they were able to get through it. 2021 will be interesting, as packed stadiums won't be a thing during the entire next calendar year IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Let’s just all agree that like the lakers championship(lebron tampering), this one deserves an * because the majority of game 6 was played with a covid zombie on the winning team . Who knows how many other Dodgers will turn up positive the next day or 2
giphy.gif

I think the new fan chant "We've got Covid yes we do, we've got Covid how bout you?" was the morale boost the team really needed to scratch across runs.  Cash pulling Snell was clearly irrelevant.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Love seeing analytics take it up the ass like with the Snell move last night. 

And congrats @Sbbruin. I was pulling for the Dodgers. It’s nice to see a blue-blood put the peasantry back in their place.

A part of what got the Rays to the World Series in the first place on a shoe string budget was a commitment to their process.  Snell hadn't even pitched into the 7th in the entire season.  

sc5ZEqf.png

It would also be one thing if Snell's stuff was better than it ordinarily is, but his velo was already declining at that point in the game.  When you look at his pitches and their locations in the 5th he was actually pretty lucky to get out of that inning without getting hit hard - couldn't get his breaking pitches or his changeup down.  He also only had one swinging strike in the 5th and 6th.  It would have been managerial malpractice to keep him in the game in that situation.

• Fuck You 1

Should be looking at a solid run next year.  Only significant FA’s are Turner (my guess is they try to sign him to a two year big money  deal), Joc (crowded outfield, he probably goes), Kike (they’ll try to re-sign, but he may get more elsewhere), Treinen (I think they pay up to keep him), and a few other minor players (Baez, Wood, McGee, all easily replaceable).  If they can snag a couple of quality FA’s, plus getting whatever’s left in David Price’s arm, and we should be back.

seager up next though for the big $$$ after next season.

Edited by Sbbruin

Congrats to the West Cost Yankees and their fans.  I hope this brings them joy and peace after obsessing over their 2017 loss for the last 12 months.  

And I don't care what Turner did, but it is funny that is now a headline.

Edited by htown85

Selfish super spreading strawberry Sasquatch!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/10/28/justin-turner-covid-19-dodgers-world-series-rob-manfred/6056282002/

MLB says Justin Turner 'emphatically refused to comply' and stay in isolation after COVID-19 positive

...Turner was removed and ordered to stay in isolation in a room outside the clubhouse. The game wrapped up, the World Series trophy celebration commenced and Manfred left the field, only for Turner to return and join the celebration.

WORLD SERIES: Season ends with galling breach of protocol

'UNFORTUNATE ENDPOINT': Dodgers win marred by Turner's return

Turner took pictures holding the trophy, hugged teammates, and even was in the front row of the team picture, with no mask, sitting alongside manager Dave Roberts, a cancer survivor.

"Following the Dodgers' victory, it is clear that Turner chose to disregard the agreed-upon joint protocols and the instructions he was given regarding the safety and protection of others," MLB said in a statement released Wednesday.

"While a desire to celebrate is understandable, Turner’s decision to leave isolation and enter the field was wrong and put everyone he came in contact with at risk. When MLB security raised the matter of being on the field with Turner, he emphatically refused to comply."

It’s still unknown how Turner contracted the virus after being in a soft bubble with teammates for three weeks in a Dallas hotel with the Tampa Bay Rays, but MLB is launching a full investigation....

Congrats to the Dodgers, but Turner's an asshole of the first caliber.  Yeah he's gone next year, but an asshole just the same.  
Time to slap a sanction on the team if they didn't do more.

Other than that, I'm happy for the Dodgers, just too bad they have a dickwad on their team.

• Hook 'Em 1

As punishment, send Justin Turner to the Wall, as member of the Night's Watch.

But yeah, congrats to you Dodgers fans.  I know the Rays never hurt anybody, have lots of friends from my time in college in Florida around Tampa-Saint Pete.  They've certainly paid their dues in 23 years as a nothing franchise.  And I've cheered for the failure of the Dodgers in recent years to fall to teams I like such as the Cubs, Red Sox, and Astros.  But it's a team that plays well-rounded baseball and one of my favorite memories of the College World Series was not a Longhorn memory, but in 2009 listening to Orel Hershiser regale fans with wonderful tales of the '88 series when their scrappy squad of injured nobodies beat the living shit out of the Athletics whom I still fucking hate to this day.  

The dodgers were clearly the best team this year. They are clearly set up and run better than any other team of its size with resources.  It's a well deserved championship.  As a dodger hater for as long as I can remember if you told me they had to win a title this decade (2011-2020) I'm glad it is in a covid year, isolation bubble and 2 weeks after the Lakers won a title, so it can just kind of fly under the radar. Respect to the Dodgers, now fuck your own faces.  (narrator- they won't they will win the division ever year into the forseeable future and make a run at ATL record for division titles). 

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Congrats to the Dodgers, but Turner's an asshole of the first caliber.  Yeah he's gone next year, but an asshole just the same.  
Time to slap a sanction on the team if they didn't do more.

Other than that, I'm happy for the Dodgers, just too bad they have a dickwad on their team.

It was a bad move, and he'll be rightfully crucified for it.  But Turner is a really good dude and does a lot of real, meaningful charitable work.  He's universally respected by his teammates.  This actually might hurt his marketability and allow the Dodgers to sign him to a reasonable short term deal.

Kinda crazy that in a short season with expanded playoffs we end up with the two best teams in the WS and the clear best team winning.

The Rays were definitely not one of the best two teams. They have a very nice pitching staff (not as good as the Indians though) but their lineup is not very deep. Having Lowe and Meadows be ineffective crippled them.
  • Fuck You 1

Fuck everyone giving Turner grief in their stupid faces.

Happy for Kershaw he is a legit good guy and deserves to have that success after all the shit he went through.

Also happy for the tried and true Dodger fans out there.  I have enjoyed giving them shit over the years but honestly my visit to Chavez Ravine in 2018 when the Astros were in town made me put down the sabers towards them because we got to party and have a good ass time with so many Dodger fans plus I felt like 2017 excised the 1980 & 1981 demons to some extent.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

As punishment, send Justin Turner to the Wall, as member of the Night's Watch.

But yeah, congrats to you Dodgers fans.  I know the Rays never hurt anybody, have lots of friends from my time in college in Florida around Tampa-Saint Pete.  They've certainly paid their dues in 23 years as a nothing franchise.  And I've cheered for the failure of the Dodgers in recent years to fall to teams I like such as the Cubs, Red Sox, and Astros.  But it's a team that plays well-rounded baseball and one of my favorite memories of the College World Series was not a Longhorn memory, but in 2009 listening to Orel Hershiser regale fans with wonderful tales of the '88 series when their scrappy squad of injured nobodies beat the living shit out of the Athletics whom I still fucking hate to this day.  

Crikey, Mate.  Show some respect, will ya? 

5033910-5033910.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.752xh;

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, HillaryFan420 said:

A part of what got the Rays to the World Series in the first place on a shoe string budget was a commitment to their process.  Snell hadn't even pitched into the 7th in the entire season.  

sc5ZEqf.png

It would also be one thing if Snell's stuff was better than it ordinarily is, but his velo was already declining at that point in the game.  When you look at his pitches and their locations in the 5th he was actually pretty lucky to get out of that inning without getting hit hard - couldn't get his breaking pitches or his changeup down.  He also only had one swinging strike in the 5th and 6th.  It would have been managerial malpractice to keep him in the game in that situation.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29tqmnlb6z881aqo6r21

4 hours ago, HillaryFan420 said:

The Rays were definitely not one of the best two teams. They have a very nice pitching staff (not as good as the Indians though) but their lineup is not very deep. Having Lowe and Meadows be ineffective crippled them.

Their record plus making it to the World Series plus giving the Dodgers a solid run says otherwise. Give them the respect they’ve earned at this point at least.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so, as it turns out, the analytics unequivocally showed that subbing Snell for Anderson was the absolute worst possible decision Kevin Cash could have made. but keep on fucking that chicken, fozzz. 👌🏼 

Was gonna post this. The analytics even say Cash is a dipshit. Is was the wrong move no matter how you slice it.

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Was gonna post this. The analytics even say Cash is a dipshit. Is was the wrong move no matter how you slice it.

This is the dumbest shit i've ever seen.  This fucking idiot is using a 20 IP sample to argue that Snell, unlike every other pitcher in baseball, doesn't have a TTO penalty.  Funny how if you look at his career numbers (a slightly larger 238 IP sample for TTO) his wOBA increases by nearly 70 points from the first time through the order to the third time through the order.  This is not analytics, it's tardlytics.  

• Fuck You 2

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so, as it turns out, the analytics unequivocally showed that subbing Snell for Anderson was the absolute worst possible decision Kevin Cash could have made. but keep on fucking that chicken, fozzz. 👌🏼 

There you have it, from the Master of Analytics...Jomboy.