Why I voted the way I did

immamac

7 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I used to think that it didn’t really matter who we elected President, because our system was pretty robust and that checks and balances would keep the train chugging along

I think that is the biggest change in the world for people of our class. I think a lot more folks understand the fragility of the system now. I’m among them.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My wife has never voted D.

We just finished voting. She said she had the machine set to vote for Trump and stood there overcome by a visceral, gut wrenching physical reaction. Changed to D and pulled the lever.

Yesterday I encountered her in her home office, sobbing uncontrollably. She had just endured an hour of her Mom's braying about the certain, imminent family bankruptcy should Biden be elected.

I'm so proud of her.

• Hook 'Em 8

Usual straight Dem with a handful of Republican votes for people I either am personally friendly with (a judge) or know well enough to know they aren't sacks of shit.

Went ahead and voted the top line, too, even though it's entirely pointless and Trump is going to win comfortably.

download.jpg

Eagerly awaiting the CR's return to center-right austerity and war cheerleading as they feel all of their guilt and shame absolved by a completely surface-level presidential vote.

Zero hope. Fuck all of this.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

Voted against Trump.  There is a bar for character that must be cleared to qualify as a leader, and he doesn’t come close.  I consider him the most dangerous American in history.

But even if the R’s trotted out more standard fare like a Rubio or Ryan I would vote for Biden.  As much as I think there is a place for a party whose agenda is to reduce fiscal waste, ensure solvency, ensure sovereignty, and limit government intrusion, the GOP ain’t that and really hasn’t been since at least Eisenhower.

The older I get the more liberal and progressive I become.  I think our society is ready for broader universal healthcare, increasingly subsidized post high school education, and more access to capital for all.  I believe wealth inequality and climate change are the 2 great challenges of our lifetime.  

I fault the Democrats for their eager participation in the crony capitalism that is rotting the country, but I enthusiastically voted for Biden  (less so for Hegar and Oliver).  I find it hard to imagine myself voting for a Republican again anytime soon.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Usual straight Dem with a handful of Republican votes for people I either am personally friendly with (a judge) or know well enough to know they aren't sacks of shit.

Went ahead and voted the top line, too, even though it's entirely pointless and Trump is going to win comfortably.

download.jpg

Eagerly awaiting the CR's return to center-right austerity and war cheerleading as they feel all of their guilt and shame absolved by a completely surface-level presidential vote.

Zero hope. Fuck all of this.

The fact that you don’t understand how electing centrist Dems furthers the hard left’s agenda is mind boggling. If you’re constantly wondering about why you can’t persuade people to your point of view, you oughta just sit back and let us handle this.

4 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

The fact that you don’t understand how electing centrist Dems furthers the hard left’s agenda is mind boggling.

?

I don't think anyone should vote for Republicans unless they basically personally know them. I think everyone should vote in every election where their vote will matter. I don't know what you're talking about.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

?

I don't think anyone should vote for Republicans unless they basically personally know them. I think everyone should vote in every election where their vote will matter. I don't know what you're talking about.

Dems lose elections for two reasons in this state. Either we nominate a centrist and lefties like yourself stay home or we nominate a hard lefty and independents turn away. I’m tired of losing elections in this state due to the hard Left’s demands. 

Spent a lifetime watching this play out due to people like you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

?

DP

Edited by Texaspython

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

I dont care if your best buddy saved your life one time. If he’s still running as a Republican at this point in time vote against his stupid ass. 

The sole R on our ballot cheat sheet was in the local DA office; know him and his wife personally, he ran unopposed and represents a minority group that is typically underserved in our community so our family didn't feel guilty over that selection at all. All other R unopposed races we left blank and every other race was Democratic Party all the way. I completely hate gerrymandering and the way it makes it so difficult for good candidates to run. In some ways, maybe it hastened the brazen shamelessness of some of the GOP candidates.

Anyway, viva the resistance.  3 votes for Biden in Texas from our house.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texaspython said:

Dems lose elections for two reasons in this state. Either we nominate a centrist and lefties like yourself stay home or we nominate a hard lefty and independents turn away. I’m tired of losing elections in this state due to the hard Left’s demands.

So we lose because either independents or leftists stay home... but you're only mad at the leftists?

lol typical Republican-lite horseshit

Fuck off. What if the centrists actually ran a platform that excited the voters and drove turnout? What if they fucking OFFERED SOMETHING more than just "we're nicer than Republicans, but we still want you to be poor, not have healthcare, and a bum-ass minimum wage from the 80s! But we are woke, though! SLAY KWEEN! Check my Timbs!"

On 10/22/2020 at 10:26 AM, Bateshorn said:

I voted in Maryland in one of the bluest minority majority CD in the entire country.  I have no idea who the GOP candidates even are down ballot (in many cases there aren't GOP candidates for school board or country council races) , there are no Senate races. and the Legislature and governor are not up until 2022. Straight blue ticket.  The only hard part was a ballot question about expanding gambling obstentible to create more state education revenue.  I personally believe gambling should be legal, but I also don't believe the state should be promoting such a destructive and addictive vice. Also, The first time any of those dollars actually make it to a school instead of general revenue will be, well, the first time. So I voted no. 

Yes on all my bond measures except for more county buildings.  I had jury duty two years ago and the PG County courthouse is beautiful, no need to generate Wall Street fees borrowing there.

I did something similar in MoCo.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I completely hate gerrymandering and the way it makes it so difficult for good candidates to run. In some ways, maybe it hastened the brazen shamelessness of some of the GOP candidates.

Anyway, viva the resistance.  3 votes for Biden in Texas from our house.

Gerrymandering is one of the "original sins" of American politics. The GOP Supreme Court's denial of this shows that they have no problem being complicit to voter suppression.

Corporations have political voice (Citizens United), but people no longer do (Common Cause).

i can't recall which thread has the discussion of various solutions, but I wish we the people would insist upon it. I'm afraid there are plenty of 'we the peoples' who also have no issue with depriving others of their right to vote.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
edit- pronoun failure: the 'it' being the insistence that we have a political voice

I voted for an R for county commissioner.  She is a friend's daughter, and I don't think she is a Trumper, but either way she will be a good commissioner.  Otherwise Straight D homey.

And I had always voted libertarian and R.  Because fuck you I've got mine; but right now, the death cult is out of control and we need chemo to kill the cancer.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

So we lose because either independents or leftists stay home... but you're only mad at the leftists?

Fuck off. What if the centrists actually ran a platform that excited the voters and drove turnout? What if they fucking OFFERED SOMETHING more than just "we're nicer than Republicans, but we still want you to be poor, not have healthcare, and a bum-ass minimum wage from the 80s! But we are woke, though! SLAY KWEEN! Check my Timbs!"

See, you’re a moron.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

See, you’re a moron.

18 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Biden literally stood on stage on Thursday and said he wants to phase out my industry in the next 5 years.  That's why I voted the way I did.

I transcribed the debate. He didn’t say in 5 years. He said over time. The market is going to phase out fossil fuels, not the government. Clean energy is a better product than non clean energy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Biden literally stood on stage on Thursday and said he wants to phase out my industry in the next 5 years.  That's why I voted the way I did.

Edit: may have confused Pearlandhorn with someone else

Edited by Foosters

Maybe if we adopt a strategy of pretending the problem isn't real and making only half-assed efforts to mitigate it your kids can have long careers in O&G. Worked for the coronavirus I don't see why global warming would be any different.

I voted against every republican because not a single one is fit to be in office.

• Hook 'Em 4

Maybe if we adopt a strategy of pretending the problem isn't real and making only half-assed efforts to mitigate it your kids can have long careers in O&G. Worked for the coronavirus I don't see why global warming would be any different.

I voted against every republican because not a single one is fit to be in office.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Yeah right. 

You were all set to vote for Biden until he “literally” said he was going to eliminate the oil industry in 5 years, as if that was somehow even possible. 

Try breathing through your nose sometime trump supporter. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lurch said:

I’m sorry your job fucking our environment for generations is at risk. T&P

4 hours ago, thepop said:

Voting to keep hurting our environment and democracy to own the libs 

The O & G industry has supplied a product that billions of people have utilized for well over 100 years, with the American consumer consuming more than their fair share.

I assume you fly, drive, use electricity/gas, and enjoy the many products that come from petroleum/gas. If so, it’s not his job that is “fucking our environment”, it’s me, you, all consumers.

Blaming the O & G worker’s ‘job’ for our environmental issues makes about as much sense as blaming the farmer for our obesity problem.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cacti said:

The O & G industry has supplied a product that billions of people have utilized for well over 100 years, with the American consumer consuming more than their fair share.

I assume you fly, drive, use electricity/gas, and enjoy the many products that come from petroleum/gas. If so, it’s not his job that is “fucking our environment”, it’s me, you, all consumers.

Blaming the O & G worker’s ‘job’ for our environmental issues makes about as much sense as blaming the farmer for our obesity problem.

Well we... the capital WE need to begin towards a transition plan. So yeah, maybe for forum dramatic flair, blame is cast on the O&G worker, but still... what’s your point?

1 minute ago, YChang said:

Well we... the capital WE need to begin towards a transition plan. So yeah, maybe for forum dramatic flair, blame is cast on the O&G worker, but still... what’s your point?

The quote about OG worker's jobs fucking the environment for generations was out of line.

There are lots of jobs in industries that have had, are having, and will have unforeseen consequences.  They're not the worker's fault.

All of that is aside from the disingenuous comment about Biden eliminating the OG industry in five years.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, YChang said:

We have been transitioning for years. Wind and solar have already replaced some portion of carbon based energy, and advanced nuclear power has recently received several billion dollars in funding from the feds and private sources.

My point? TwiceHorn said it well:

The quote about OG worker's jobs fucking the environment for generations was out of line.

Qatar and Saudi Arabia are making $$$$$Billion investments in the LNG liquefaction and oil refining capacity using 50 yr investment horizons. O&G isn't going anywhere until the market says so, not the government.

Of course Biden had to say it, its rote for the Dems. Somewhere between the status quo and eagerly embracing the green new deal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Voted on the way home this morning. Went straight Democrat where I could. Local elections were only Republicans on the ticket, all I could do is not vote in those races. Looks like we got new touchscreen voting machines this year. Last election we were still using the old rotary dial machines from the 90's.

Edited by RPM

On 10/24/2020 at 7:13 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Buggy whip makers unite!