2022 Senate Elections

Ghost of LL

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Quick everyone, buy a piece of shit house in Wisconsin, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Nevada and Georgia so we can all cast multiple votes! 

The article says she's not registered in Texas, so she only cast one vote.  Maybe she's just a big Ossoff fan.

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Also, was it a ballot or a provincial ballot ? 

litlte bit of a difference between the two 

She hadn't voted in Georgia since 2008.  Her registration was canceled in 2017.  She re-registered in 2019.  Georgia law says if you move to another state to make it your primary residence, you can't vote in Georgia, period.  They did that in 2011 with the homestead exception on their Texas home and not the Georgia home.  She didn't vote in 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 or 2018 in Georgia. 

She broke the law.  VOTER FRAUD! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She hadn't voted in Georgia since 2008.  Her registration was canceled in 2017.  She re-registered in 2019.  Georgia law says if you move to another state to make it your primary residence, you can't vote in Georgia, period.  They did that in 2011 with the homestead exception on their Texas home and not the Georgia home.  She didn't vote in 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 or 2018 in Georgia. 

She white so no problem.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Lock her up!

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly Crist for Governor (old white centrist) and Demings for Senate (tough former cop) is a formidable duo.  

It is about time the Dems realize you have to run strong duos to juice turnout and have them run as a team

Abrams/Warnock (GA)
Hobbs/Kelly (AZ)
Crist/Demings (FL)
Whaley/Ryan (OH)
Shapiro/Fetterman or Lamb (PA)
Sisolak/Cortez Masto (NV)
Evers/Godlewski or Barnes (WI)

Where you go wrong is where one part of your ticket is "meh" - Valdez/Beto (TX) or Gillium/Nelson (FL) in 2018 are good examples where the top of the ticket may have dragged down the Senate candidate.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Trump can play to a crowd and get in lots of jabs.  Herschel Walker is not a good speaker and is a certified moron with CTE.

Yeah.  Warnock is a fucking preacher - he can play to a crowd and speak in a way that resonates.

Hillary was wooden and wonky. 

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Trump can play to a crowd and get in lots of jabs.  Herschel Walker is not a good speaker and is a certified moron with CTE.

Only thing Herschel has going for him is the expectations will be so minuscule, he may beat them by uttering a few complete sentences.  I'm sure he'll have all the sad GOP trigger words and trumpisms written on his hand.

25 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Herschel will not debate Warnock. He’s going to give a bunch of basic speeches focused on “maintaining freedoms” and TV commercials with him playing for Georgia.

He should definitely skip debates.  What a great strategy that was for Senator David Per.... oh.

Jon Ossoff Wink GIF - Jon Ossoff Wink Jon Ossoff Wink - Discover & Share  GIFs

Cilizza says Herschel is a nightmare for Republican GOP'ers.

(CNN)The news Monday that former NFL star Herschel Walker has registered to vote in Georgia is terrible news for Senate Republicans hoping to retake the majority next November.

Walker's move from Texas, where he has lived for decades, to Georgia suggests that he is likely to run for the seat currently held by Sen. Raphael Warnock. And, given Walker's high name ID -- primarily derived from his years of football stardom -- and the vocal support of former President Donald Trump for his candidacy, Walker would immediately be the favorite for the GOP nomination.

Herschel Walker endorses Trump: He's not a racist (2020) 03:02

And that is a MAJOR problem for Republicans.

Walker has myriad potential problems as a Senate nominee, including:

He hasn't lived in the state for a very long time. Moving back to the state to run for office opens Walker up to charges of carpetbagging -- and he has no ready answer for that.

He's been accused of threatening behavior. Walker has been open about his diagnosis of dissociative identity disorder and the struggles it has caused him, including writing a book about his experiences. But a recent AP report that went through Walker's business and divorce records reveal troubling -- and previously unreported -- behavior. "The documents detail accusations that Walker repeatedly threatened his ex-wife, exaggerated claims of financial success and alarmed business associates with unpredictable behavior." (Walker didn't respond to the AP's request for comment on the report.)

He's never been a candidate before. A Senate race is a very tough place to make a maiden campaign. And that goes double when you are talking about what will likely be one of the most closely watched and expensive Senate races in the country. Walker would be under a very bright light from the second he announced his candidacy -- and if past is prologue, he could struggle at times under such close scrutiny.

While it's impossible to predict exactly how a campaign between Warnock and Walker would play out, what is clear is that the former NFL star would enter the race from that starting point. That reality has already led some Republican strategists close to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell to speak out about the dangers of nominating Walker.

Enter your email to subscribe to the CNN Newsletter The Point with Chris Cillizza.

close dialog

CNN's Chris Cillizza cuts through the political spin and tells you what you need to know.

Sign Me Up

No Thanks

By subscribing, you agree to our

privacy policy.

"This is about as comprehensive a takedown as I've ever read," tweeted Josh Holmes, a longtime McConnell adviser, earlier this month of the AP story. "My lord."

McConnell himself has yet to speak out publicly against Walker but, according to sources cited by CNN, has made his reservations very clear privately. Wrote CNN's Manu Raju, Alex Rogers and Mike Warren earlier this month:

"Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has suggested to allies that former Georgia senators David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler should take another look at running again, according to three sources familiar with the matter, after their narrow losses in January flipped the Senate to Democratic control."

The problem for McConnell is that -- as I noted above -- if Walker is a candidate, he has a very high likelihood of being the party's nominee given his celebrity and the likely strong backing he will have from the former president. (In March, Trump put out a statement that read in part: "He would be unstoppable, just like he was when he played for the Georgia Bulldogs, and in the NFL. He is also a GREAT person. Run Herschel, run!")

Given the current power dynamic in the Republican Party, it's not at all clear that a McConnell-backed candidate like Loeffler or Perdue could overcome Walker -- even with the various issues I documented above surrounding him.

Which would then mean that in one of the GOP's best pickup opportunities in the country, the party would put forward a candidate who is an opposition researcher's dream -- not to mention someone who has never run for any office prior to 2022.

If that scenario does come to pass, it has implications well beyond Georgia. Republicans need to net just a single seat to retake control of the Senate in 2023. And Georgia, with the narrow victory margin for both Warnock and President Joe Biden in 2020, is at the top of the list of potential pickups. Lose Georgia, and Republicans need to find a pickup elsewhere -- in places like Arizona, where Sen. Mark Kelly looks very strong, or New Hampshire, where essentially all GOP hopes lie with the potential candidacy of Gov. Chris Sununu.

In short, Senate Republicans are not in a place where they can simply write off one of their best pickup chances without feeling the impact elsewhere in the country. And while no one should say conclusively that Walker would lose to Warnock, it is quite clear that the former running back would have major challenges if he was the Republican nominee.

The worst thing for McConnell and his fellow establishment Republicans? They know all of this. They just might not be able to stop it.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/24/politics/herschel-walker-senate-republicans/index.html

Walker filed. He’s running.

Trump Ally Herschel Walker Is Running For U.S. Senate In Georgia

Herschel Walker, a former University of Georgia football standout and a friend and ally of former President Donald Trump's, is running for U.S. Senate in Georgia, setting up a high-profile Republican primary next year in the crucial battleground state. 

Walker enters a growing field seeking to unseat Democrat Raphael Warnock, Georgia's first Black senator, with strong encouragement from Trump, who has been fixated on Georgia politics since narrowly losing the state's 16 electoral votes in the 2020 presidential election.

Walker, the 1982 Heisman Trophy winner and a Wrightsville, Ga., native, has long lived in Texas after a professional football career that ended in Dallas, but he changed his voter registration last week to an Atlanta house owned by his wife, Julie Blanchard. Blanchard is under investigation by the Georgia secretary of state's office over potential illegal voting after The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported she voted in Georgia despite living in Texas.

Walker has also repeated false claims of voter fraud in the 2020 election despite elections officials finding no evidence of widespread fraud that affected the outcome.

It's unclear when Walker will make a formal Senate announcement. The campaign paperwork filed Tuesday ends months of speculation about his political plans, including a prediction in June from Trump that the former football star would soon suit up for the Republican primary. 

"He told me he's going to, and I think he will," Trump said on the conservative talk radio Clay Travis and Buck Sexton Show. "He's a great guy. He's a patriot. And he's a very loyal person, he's a very strong person. They love him in Georgia, I'll tell you."

Some national Republicans have been wary of Walker's candidacy, though. The first-time candidate comes with potential baggage that could harm his chances in both the primary and general elections, including his Texas residency.

Walker has been open about his past struggles with mental health and dissociative identity disorder, including alleged violent outbursts against his ex-wife, Cindy Grossman. A recent Associated Press reportalso chronicled more details of the divorce, including previously unreported threats against her, overstated claims about his business dealings and erratic behavior around business partners. 

But a recent poll by the left-leaning Public Policy Polling had Walker with high favorability ratings and name recognition among Georgia GOP voters.

There are currently three other candidates running for the Republican nomination to challenge Warnock: Gary Black, Georgia's agriculture commissioner; Kelvin King, a Black military veteran and construction company owner who helped Trump launch his "Black Voices" coalition; and Latham Saddler, a Navy veteran and banking executive.

Warnock took office in January after a historic special election runoff that saw Democrats take narrow control of the Senate, and the seat is a top target for Republicans heading into the 2022 midterms.

The Senate is split 50-50 among Democrats and Republicans, with Vice President Harris the tiebreaking vote for Democrats.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/24/1030715933/trump-ally-herschel-walker-is-running-for-u-s-senate-in-georgia

Edited by Willfully Horn
Quoted

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Herschel running for the senate in Jawja is absolutely fantastic news. Hell a whole shitload of racist white republicans will just sit the race out. 

Yep.

"GOP wants to run a black guy against another black guy?  Fuck you, I'll stay home, you'll learn your lesson!"

I think walker has Great shot at winning this, he is a Georgia hero and only needs a small percentage of black voters to go his way, the crazies will vote for him because trump will back him, I think this will be a close one. 
add the fuckery in GA, he has a great shot 

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Herschel running for the senate in Jawja is absolutely fantastic news. Hell a whole shitload of racist white republicans will just sit the race out. 

Senate republicans seem to be screwing the pooch.  Walker in Georgia and no decent candidate in Arizona?  Also the weird ass cyber ninja election audit is going to hurt republicans in arizona. The GOP can’t blow their 2 best pickup opportunities and still hope to get back the chamber.

32 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Senate republicans seem to be screwing the pooch.  Walker in Georgia and no decent candidate in Arizona?  Also the weird ass cyber ninja election audit is going to hurt republicans in arizona. The GOP can’t blow their 2 best pickup opportunities and still hope to get back the chamber.

Also no good candidate in PA, a  big lie Trumpy loser in Nevada, Trump’s choice in NC isn’t getting much traction and it’s almost September and they still don’t know if Ron Johnson is going to run again and no major moves by Sununu in NH. 

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Also no good candidate in PA, a  big lie Trumpy loser in Nevada, Trump’s choice in NC isn’t getting much traction and it’s almost September and they still don’t know if Ron Johnson is going to run again and no major moves by Sununu in NH. 

I think Wisconsin is there for the taking whether Johnson runs or not.

On 8/19/2021 at 11:48 AM, Js1 said:

Honestly Crist for Governor (old white centrist) and Demings for Senate (tough former cop) is a formidable duo.  

It is about time the Dems realize you have to run strong duos to juice turnout and have them run as a team

Abrams/Warnock (GA)
Hobbs/Kelly (AZ)
Crist/Demings (FL)
Whaley/Ryan (OH)
Shapiro/Fetterman or Lamb (PA)
Sisolak/Cortez Masto (NV)
Evers/Godlewski or Barnes (WI)

Where you go wrong is where one part of your ticket is "meh" - Valdez/Beto (TX) or Gillium/Nelson (FL) in 2018 are good examples where the top of the ticket may have dragged down the Senate candidate.

Well, Bill Nelson barely campaigned. 

I’ll believe Florida will elect a democrat statewide after that person is sworn in. 

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Well, Bill Nelson barely campaigned. 

I’ll believe Florida will elect a democrat statewide after that person is sworn in. 

Yeah for Florida 2018, if half your ticket slacks off, bad things happen. Look at Texas - Lupe was about as effective as a cardboard cutout and it hurt Beto.  Actually a cardboard cutout of her in a sheriff uniform and hat might have done a couple points better, which may have boosted Beto. 

I think Rubio is going to be okay - Val will give him a scare, but ultimately he hasn't done anything has egregious as COVID Ron.  Charlie Crist is an ideal candidate - he's centrist (former Republican turned independent turn Dem) and he's an old white guy who previously served as governor and barely lost to Rick Scott in a bad Dem year (1 point loss). 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah for Florida 2018, if half your ticket slacks off, bad things happen.  Lupe was about as effective as a cardboard cutout and it hurt Beto.  Actually a cardboard cutout of her in a sheriff uniform and hat might have done a couple points better. 

I think Rubio is going to be okay - Val will give him a scare, but ultimately he hasn't done anything has egregious as COVID Ron. 

Also, FL unique demographic surge in older GOP voters from the Midwest helps Rubio, even as its going to hurt the GOP in PA and WI

17 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

The idiots on Texags think Herschel Walker will be a good candidate in Georgia. Good god…. Do those guys know anything?

A moderate GOP'er I know thinks Walker may cruise because of the ole' home town appeal and all..... I have my doubts.  When they get to his Dissociative Order, it will have to be handled extremely well to give confidence to voters he's over his violence and suicidal tendencies.  I think it'll be a lot of social media and video campaigning for him.  I think he shies away from a lot of voter or competitor interaction as this isn't his strength.  Basically, his platform is...... Diaper Don likes me.

23 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A moderate GOP'er I know thinks Walker may cruise because of the ole' home town appeal and all..... I have my doubts.  When they get to his Dissociative Order, it will have to be handled extremely well to give confidence to voters he's over his violence and suicidal tendencies.  I think it'll be a lot of social media and video campaigning for him.  I think he shies away from a lot of voter or competitor interaction as this isn't his strength.  Basically, his platform is...... Diaper Don likes me.

Cruise to the GOP nomination or in the general?

He won't cruise in the general.  Holy hell, Abrams is a turnout machine and Warnock ain't no slouch - he got out the Black Belt voters in a run-off in numbers not seen before.  Especially because the GOP will continue to attack his church, which backfired so bigly for them.

The new transplant voters all contributing to the ATL boom don't fucking know or care who Walker is or that he played for UGA 40 years ago.  

He will cruise to the GOP nomination because of Trump, but Gary Black seems to be in "no fucks given" mode in his attacks on Herschel.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He won't cruise in the general.  Holy hell, Abrams is a turnout machine and Warnock ain't no slouch - he got out the Black Belt voters in a run-off in numbers not seen before.  Especially because the GOP will continue to attack his church, which backfired so bigly for them.

The new transplant voters all contributing to the ATL boom don't fucking know or care who Walker is or that he played for UGA 40 years ago.  

He will cruise to the GOP nomination because of Trump, but Gary Black seems to be in "no fucks given" mode in his attacks on Herschel.  

This is a good take. Behind the scenes, republicans are probably pulling their hair out. Their best 2 chances to flip senate seats in Arizona and Georgia aren’t looking good right now. Walker will win the GOP primary because of his fealty to Trump, but Warnock is probably going to have an easier time dealing with Walker than he did Kelly Loeffler.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Both.  Remember, this isn't my opinion.  I think he can take the primary but he's going to struggle in general.  This friend is from Georgia and lived there a long period of his life.  He's not a Trumper but he is "conservative", whatever that means these days.  It's a a mid-term with Georgia already trying to suppress votes and Biden already struggling somewhat (although I think most will have forgotten about Afghanistan by the election).  I think this is a really big election to see if Georgia will yo-yo the next few cycles or if they've broken through.  No doubt, the GOP is helping them with some dogshit candidates.