the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

i am shouldered with the burden of "bodies in trees" that i must carry around like Sisyphus...you have  the "naked burger."
yours wins...

Meh - we all have our crosses to bear.

It could be worse...at least you’re not wrestling with the full length of embarrassment that NowThis brought upon himself.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Jesus, this is the electoral equivalent of that guy who got shitfaced and took on the biggest dude in the bar, getting his face beat in after it spilled out to the parking lot, but never giving up, coming back for more until he had to be forcibly dragged off.

The Hollywood Interview: Adam Goldberg: The Hollywood Interview

Be careful when ascribing ownership. He has a lot of things under his brand that he does not actually own. Because in reality, most people on this board have a higher net worth than he does.
He's quite wealthy now that he's grifting on the bigly scale post election. He can do whatever he wants with that money. I've read he has brought in 300 million or so since the election.

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder how many suits they will file after the inauguration that seek to remove Biden and swear in Trump. 

Fucking rage. This has to stop at some point. Or at least the sane media needs to stop covering it. I guess the magats can throw their money away all they want. But we have to purge these carnies from adult society. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
And the courts need to start punishing them for frivolous suits

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Great analysis.  Also, in this suit, and from time to time, you see that state governors have a "role" in choosing electors in the event of a contest, which they complain violates the Electors and Elections Clause of Article II.  That's not really spelled out in the ECA, as it appears from the text that the governor's role is ministerial (sealing and forwarding the results to the Archivist and others), just as is the VP's in opening the sealed votes and counting them.

It may be that some state's laws, in "compliance" with the ECA, delegate some election dispute mechanism to the governor, but that should be okey dokey.

I see also that there is some general idea afloat that maybe the ECA generally exceeds Congress' power to legislate in the area, but not tied to any of the complaints lodged by Gohmertco.

I think the intent of the Gohmert suit is to get Pence to forget how to count.  Like bad arithmetic. Forget to carry some 1s for Biden and put them in the Trump pile.  It's basically the whole legal strategy challenging fewer votes than would make a difference.  It's like they went to a Greg Davis inspired legal seminar. Third and 9? Throw the 5 yard out.

Just so I understand the pence suit correctly:

Trump has asked pence to flip the country the bird and accept the fake electors that were fraudulently selected in some states. 

Pence says he can’t. 

this suit isn’t trying to make him do so, it’s trying to make the court tell him he has the ability?

so that they can then lean hard on him and make him choose. 

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Anyone that "tops out" appeals in state or federal court may petition for certiorari to the Supreme Court.  The grant rate is less than about 10%.

It’s a lot less than that. More like 2 percent.

This won’t stop until the sanctions start coming. Might take a few months but it will happen. But it will.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Just so I understand the pence suit correctly:

Trump has asked pence to flip the country the bird and accept the fake electors that were fraudulently selected in some states. 

Pence says he can’t. 

this suit isn’t trying to make him do so, it’s trying to make the court tell him he has the ability?

so that they can then lean hard on him and make him choose. 

The suit is total dogshit. If they somehow we’re to win, which they won’t, it would only make it more likely Biden wins, not less.

They are attacking a law which actually gives Congress the possible authority to sustain an objection to the electors, something the constitution itself doesn’t specifically allow. If they were right, it would only mean the Congressional meeting on January 6 is entirely pointless since the electors have already voted. 

Its bullshit and pence and every federal court in America knows it, even the ones appointed by president shitstain.

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder how many suits they will file after the inauguration that seek to remove Biden and swear in Trump. 

trump: "this election could take weeks or months to determine a winner."

he's shown time and time again that he will do whatever he can to retroactively make himself as close to "being right" as possible.  we've seen it with hurricanes, we've seen it with faith in elections, we've seen it with suspicion of voter fraud, and now we're seeing it with the outcome of a general election (that was called in 4 days, should've been 36 hours).

I understand there’s no merit. All or most of their suits have been submitted such that there is no standing or the remedy sought is ludicrous or impossible (I think that’s what laches is?) so that they can claim the judges are either democrat appointed, or republican traitors, and that the evidence deserves to be looked at.  All of these are just to keep up a baseline amount of outrage so that a group of people will continue throwing money at them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I understand there’s no merit. All or most of their suits have been submitted such that there is no standing or the remedy sought is ludicrous or impossible (I think that’s what laches is?) so that they can claim the judges are either democrat appointed, or republican traitors, and that the evidence deserves to be looked at.  All of these are just to keep up a baseline amount of outrage so that a group of people will continue throwing money at them. 

Yes. It’s a propaganda publicity stunt and it needs to be sanctioned severely.

The Gohmert suit is as silly as the Plaintiff's name would indicate.  Leaving aside the obvious questions about standing, whether there is an actual "case or controversy", etc., the argument in the Complaint is that there is a conflict between the Constitution and the Electoral Count Act concerning the method of resolving objections.  Specifically, the Complaint asserts that the ECA "limits or eliminates [Pence's] exclusive authority and sole discretion under the Twelfth Amendment to determine which slates of electors for a State, or neither, may be counted; and  replaces the Twelfth Amendment’s dispute resolution procedure – under which the House of Representatives has sole authority to choose the President."  In other words, Gohmert is arguing that Pence, as President of the Senate has almost unbridled authority to conduct the voting process on Jan. 6, and by creating a structure for resolving disputes, the ECA impinges on that authority.  The basic premise of that argument is that Pence does in fact have such authority.
All the 12th Amendment says is: "The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates [of the elector's votes] and the votes shall then be counted."  This is a perfunctory duty  -  open the certificates and count the votes.  There is not one word in the Constitution about objections to electors, how the objections must be lodged, or how objections are to be resolved.  No additional authority is given to the VP to do anything but open the certificates and count the votes.  
By arguing that the ECA resolution dispute process is unconstitutional, there must be an assumption that objections are allowed in the first place.  The Constitution does not provide for objections; that right is only granted by the ECA itself.  The internal inconsistency in the logic is staggering. Gohmert, et al are arguing that Congress has the power to create a mechanism for lodging objections (not found in the Constitution) but not the power to set up a process for resolving the objections.  The VP's duty to open the certificates and count the votes is being construed as absolute authority to do whatever he pleases.  So much for strict construction.  If the ECA is unconstitutional, then arguable there is no right to object at all.
Only the electors selected by the various states, in the manner determined by their legislatures, can have their votes opened and counted.  Those electors are the ones certified by the states - not the ones determined by Pence.  

But boat parades...

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

this is the intelligent interpretation.

therefore it's likely coincidental.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

It’s a lot less than that. More like 2 percent.

This won’t stop until the sanctions start coming. Might take a few months but it will happen. But it will.

You're right.  I missed the decimal point when I looked a while back.  I thought 10 was high.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
13 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:
Be careful when ascribing ownership. He has a lot of things under his brand that he does not actually own. Because in reality, most people on this board have a higher net worth than he does.

He's quite wealthy now that he's grifting on the bigly scale post election. He can do whatever he wants with that money. I've read he has brought in 300 million or so since the election.

But he owes more than that to Russian gangsters and those aren't the kind of guys you want to be owing money to.

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Well, that's Brad thinks.  I'm sure that by the end of the week the Trumpkins will have proven that he has a brother, an accountant and a heffalump working for the Chinese intelligence agency that developed smallpox. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Poor dude. Whatever slight chance he has at ever holding an elected office again after his term ends would require running as a Democrat. Doing so would only "validate" the idiots that will probably never leave him alone.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

This would be a much better world if George Clinton were, in fact, related to Hillary Clinton. Unless instead of elevating her game, it merely lowered his, in which case, that would suck pretty bad.

Of course the relation would be George & Bill.  Hillary only by marriage.

Edited by TexasEd

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Fuck Hawley.

Where’s all my “reasonable Republicans” who think Hawley is the best post-Trump option to “return the GOP to normal” at?

He’s Trump with a socially acceptable veneer.

100%

A young, attractive, educated Trump.  The most dangerous thing for this country. 

• Rage+1 1