How to talk to Republicans who don't like "your facts" or facts in general.

horn4life

I'm late to reply but this is an example why I would never want to be a teacher. sure the kids can be bad but the problems must be the parents. Assuming this is true, I bet Anthony's mom was full on triggered when he brought this paper home. 

this is a 3rd grader's assignment to give them an intro to presidential elections not an indepth discussion about Trump's ego. And the mom is quoting OAN. 

I've witnessed a few hysterical people on social media, including LinkedIn that are in panic mode that the electoral college doesn't vote until Dec, so the race isn't over. 

I guess the good news is Trump knows he will not be around much longer because he is trying to fuck up as much shit as possible currently.  BUT his propaganda campaign is honestly Hitler worthy.  HE's really, really good at getting what were once normal people to believe absolute lies.  

Trump is what he is, but the fact so many Republicans actually believe a lie regarding the Presidential election?  

In the end the only thing that may protect us from Trump is the court system, incarcerating him. And the miracle of twitter just banning his dumb ass after a few strikes. I say this because I was fucking dumb enough to open up Facebook and seeing an "Impeach Biden" image that the dolts were so very gleeful about.  There was crazy shit about Prayer helping save us from having the election stolen from Trump.  Trump's power comes from his ability to manipulate others with his populism.  I fear that if Trump is not taken out of circulation that he will come back and the GOP may actually be willing to cede all power to Trump, and our little Experiment here in the United states will take a very dark turn indeed.

Edited by horn4life

Have to say I’m proud of my parents. They voted for Trump in 2016 but since then have completely opened their eyes to the reality of what he is. Which puts them in a difficult spot because so many of their friends and family are Trump cultists.

I worried that the influence of their deep-rooted social circles would drag them back into apologist mode. Nope. Instead, they’re speaking the truth and are backing away from longtime friendships and close family relationships. It’s got to be fucking hard. But they seem disgusted that people they love and respect have become brainwashed fools. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Have to say I’m proud of my parents. They voted for Trump in 2016 but since then have completely opened their eyes to the reality of what he is. Which puts them in a difficult spot because so many of their friends and family are Trump cultists.

I worried that the influence of their deep-rooted social circles would drag them back into apologist mode. Nope. Instead, they’re speaking the truth and are backing away from longtime friendships and close family relationships. It’s got to be fucking hard. But they seem disgusted that people they love and respect have become brainwashed fools. 

Same. My folks are lifelong republicans who abstained from voting in 2016. They thought Don was a chump, but that our institutions were too robust for him to do too much damage in 4 years.

This year they both voted straight Dem tickets. Couldn't be prouder.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bump, so I can use this thread to keep my sanity.

The groundswell of the disinformation, propaganda, entertainment grievance media, and such is and has been disheartening. Over and over again, most of us have at one time or another lamented strained relationships with others who have been sucked into the world of it. I came home yesterday and got rather blindsided with the reality of it all and became unbelievably angry and sad and overwhelmed.

A neighbor whom I've mentioned on here before, had returned home from a stay in the country; where the family place is located. We keep the mail so I trotted over with it and we chatted. The usual pandemic stuff, how it is in the rural areas. I should've stopped the conversation right there and gone on my way. The vaccine rollout somehow segued into a dialogue on how AOC is going to run this country and how whites in the rural areas are hurting and white males in particular are bullied, the President did not incite an insurrection even though what those people did on that day were bad...you get the idea.

I was a little taken aback at the vehemence and commented that AOC was not going to run this country, that perhaps neighbor might want to check out some news sources that don't hold her up as a strawman fear figure for everything and in what way specifically were the country neighbors of hers bullied because I didn't see anything on the news about any incidents.

Oops. Should've kept my mouth shut. I got blasted with how white men built this country and they are under attack on all fronts at a time when they are hurting, that the reason those people stormed the Capitol was because white men built this country and they are being bullied on every front. Did I mention my neighbor is white? Stupid me, I should've mentioned that at the start.

This person who had been pretty upset over the insurrection the last time we spoke in passing, has now gone deeper into the bubble. I'm guessing part of the reason for that was spending a good chunk of the last couple of weeks isolated in the country with like-minded angry people and limited media choices.

I also found out that black people should just put their hands up and lay down on the ground when the police tell them to stop and nothing would happen. Yeah. White guys who storm the Capitol because they are being bullied are heroes and black people killed by the police didn't do as they were told. I'm not unfamiliar with this mindset but damn, I wasn't expecting the backlash so vehemently boiling over in my front yard.

I could go on about the conversation, but you get the picture already.  When spouse got home, he could tell I was in a mood, but I just said--I'll tell you about it later, it's not about the family. I hate that--hitting someone who's just walked in the door after a twelve hour workday--with more shit. Thank the Lord he is a reasonable sane man, cause later when I told him about it; he's like, 'what do you want out of this? You're not going to change her mind. It's not going to happen. She'll just go back to the bubble every time and you'll be left miserable that she is that way.'

A very good point.

Democratic new voter registration, here I come. Get out the vote.

Thanks for the therapy. I'm heading to work.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The groundswell of the disinformation, propaganda, entertainment grievance media, and such is and has been disheartening. Over and over again, most of us have at one time or another lamented strained relationships with others who have been sucked into the world of it. I came home yesterday and got rather blindsided with the reality of it all and became unbelievably angry and sad and overwhelmed.

A neighbor whom I've mentioned on here before, had returned home from a stay in the country; where the family place is located. We keep the mail so I trotted over with it and we chatted. The usual pandemic stuff, how it is in the rural areas. I should've stopped the conversation right there and gone on my way. The vaccine rollout somehow segued into a dialogue on how AOC is going to run this country and how whites in the rural areas are hurting and white males in particular are bullied, the President did not incite an insurrection even though what those people did on that day were bad...you get the idea.

I was a little taken aback at the vehemence and commented that AOC was not going to run this country, that perhaps neighbor might want to check out some news sources that don't hold her up as a strawman fear figure for everything and in what way specifically were the country neighbors of hers bullied because I didn't see anything on the news about any incidents.

Oops. Should've kept my mouth shut. I got blasted with how white men built this country and they are under attack on all fronts at a time when they are hurting, that the reason those people stormed the Capitol was because white men built this country and they are being bullied on every front. Did I mention my neighbor is white? Stupid me, I should've mentioned that at the start.

This person who had been pretty upset over the insurrection the last time we spoke in passing, has now gone deeper into the bubble. I'm guessing part of the reason for that was spending a good chunk of the last couple of weeks isolated in the country with like-minded angry people and limited media choices.

I also found out that black people should just put their hands up and lay down on the ground when the police tell them to stop and nothing would happen. Yeah. White guys who storm the Capitol because they are being bullied are heroes and black people killed by the police didn't do as they were told. I'm not unfamiliar with this mindset but damn, I wasn't expecting the backlash so vehemently boiling over in my front yard.

I could go on about the conversation, but you get the picture already.  When spouse got home, he could tell I was in a mood, but I just said--I'll tell you about it later, it's not about the family. I hate that--hitting someone who's just walked in the door after a twelve hour workday--with more shit. Thank the Lord he is a reasonable sane man, cause later when I told him about it; he's like, 'what do you want out of this? You're not going to change her mind. It's not going to happen. She'll just go back to the bubble every time and you'll be left miserable that she is that way.'

A very good point.

TLDR; there's no reasoning with the unreasonable, and "unreasonable" is the core and foundational position of the GOP.

So, fuck 'em.  They'll either come around, or they won't.  Our strategy should solely be to keep them from being a functional domestic terrorist movement, and otherwise, let them get right with the Lord....or not.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

A very good point.

As an upper middle class white male, let me tell you, the bullying is out of control.  I'm sitting in my house with my dog and the fire going.  I've got a job.  I get to work from home.  I've got health insurance.  It's just too much.  When do I get mine!?!?!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

As an upper middle class white male, let me tell you, the bullying is out of control.  I'm sitting in my house with my dog and the fire going.  I've got a job.  I get to work from home.  I've got health insurance.  It's just too much.  When do I get mine!?!?!

Same. Hell, I got pulled over by a cop for speeding the other day and he was really cordial and let me off with a warning! This is intolerable!! 

4 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Well, I’ve been saying that bunch of whites are insurrectionists. And my friends with family members among the Trumpers are torn. I get that. I have it easy, in that regard. 

Easy fix, though. Follow the law, motherfuckers. And when the Rs vote not to convict, I will have to accept it.

You can't charge him with crimes when he's president, cause executive privilege.  You can't charge him after he's done, because unconstitutional.  Bottom line, no personal accountability at all, because that's not Republican.  They are about grift, and avoiding any responsibility for anything.  Everything is someone else's fault.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You can't charge him with crimes when he's president, cause executive privilege.  You can't charge him after he's done, because unconstitutional.  Bottom line, no personal accountability at all, because that's not Republican.  They are about grift, and avoiding any responsibility for anything.  Everything is someone else's fault.

Their prosperity gospel preaches God wants them to have all they desire, ffs.

Every family member/friend that I have talked to that is a Trump supporter has the same response (which would be expected as a tenet of cult behavior)

1.  Storming the Capitol was not a big deal, no different than any of the Antifa and BLM protests we have seen all year.  I looked at the news coverage on Jan 7 and understand why they have this point of view, because OAN and Newsmax were not covering the Capitol insurrection, they were doing stories on Libs running business out of San Fran and how Dems were botching the vaccine rollout  (I saved screenshots from that day).

2. When I confront that storming the US Capitol absolutely was a big deal, the uniform response is that it was a plot by Antifa and Pelosi.  I ask for proof or evidence, and get blank stares.

It is pointless to argue with an irrational person, so I simply say they should question where they get their news from and that OAN/NewsMax/Stormfront or whoever they rely on for "real news" is not reliable, and they should realize that after yes, indeed, Biden did get inaugurated despite what they have been told.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I got blasted with how white men built this country

How annoyed would you be if you were Thomas Jefferson or Alexander Hamilton or Nelson Rockefeller and someone told you that credit for your accomplishments would later be shared indiscriminately with an entire gender/skin tone combination that includes Kid Rock, Jeffrey Dahmer, The Tiger King, that kid from Making a Murderer who gave a false confession so he could watch Wrestlemania, Steven Seagal, and every single bonehead who appears in a grainy backyard wrestling video? 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

TLDR; there's no reasoning with the unreasonable, and "unreasonable" is the core and foundational position of the GOP.

So, fuck 'em.  They'll either come around, or they won't.  Our strategy should solely be to keep them from being a functional domestic terrorist movement, and otherwise, let them get right with the Lord....or not.

1 hour ago, Frank Erwin said:

It is pointless to argue with an irrational person, so I simply say they should question where they get their news from and that OAN/NewsMax/Stormfront or whoever they rely on for "real news" is not reliable, and they should realize that after yes, indeed, Biden did get inaugurated despite what they have been told.

Yes, yes, I know this and Huckleberry gave excellent advice; it just caught me unawares, the vitriol. Most everyone else has slipped politics off the list of things they bring up in conversation (if they were Trump supporters).

Sidebar. I did find myself half listening during the conversation as I pondered the point about 'people in the country are hurting,' it's certainly something we've discussed in other threads (causes, policy, etc) but I was very tempted to point out that someone who is only a part-time resident of their country place, who stocks up on goods, gas, etc prior to heading out to the country place in order to save money is not exactly doing the 'country' a favor.

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

How annoyed would you be if you were Thomas Jefferson or Alexander Hamilton or Nelson Rockefeller and someone told you that credit for your accomplishments would later be shared indiscriminately with an entire gender/skin tone combination that includes Kid Rock, Jeffrey Dahmer, The Tiger King, that kid from Making a Murderer who gave a false confession so he could watch Wrestlemania, Steven Seagal, and every single bonehead who appears in a grainy backyard wrestling video? 

I am married to a white male and I try not to hold him responsible for every thing that white males do to discredit their demographic, but the hypocrisy of the coddling of 'they're bullying me' is very eye-roll to anyone who has paid attention to the world around them.

I feel for some of you guys.

The only republican in our social circle was a guy who co-owned a construction company that his dad founded. Married. 3 kids. Nice house (they owned) in a safe, white suburb of LA. They have lived in LA their whole lives. Had a conversation with him during BLM movement this summer. I thought it went well. Even thought that maybe I might have changed his mind. Just found out that he's moving his entire family to Boise so they can escape the hellhole that is LA. They don't know a single person there.

Amazing.

23 minutes ago, Foosters said:

The only republican in our social circle was a guy who co-owned a construction company that his dad founded. Married. 3 kids. Nice house (they owned) in a safe, white suburb of LA. They have lived in LA their whole lives. Had a conversation with him during BLM movement this summer. I thought it went well. Even thought that maybe I might have changed his mind. Just found out that he's moving his entire family to Boise so they can escape the hellhole that is LA. They don't know a single person there.

Amazing.

I kind of feel bad for you.  I don’t have many trumptards in my life but I have a few.  Unloading on them is actually therapeutic and I let loose from time to time.  

The last one was a few weeks ago in Miami.  The bet amongst our friends was the next time he mentions a right wing talking point we dump an entire bucket of ice on his head.  Of course this was an inside joke. Also keep in mind this bastard is notorious for not chipping in on tabs etc.  

We didn’t even make it to appetizers and I had to pull the champagne off ice to seal the deal.  He just sat there like someone shot his dog.  Everyone was either laughing or had a holy shit look on their face.  Some of you may think that’s over the line but I’m an admitted asshole and I did give a sorry speech the next day - I apologized there wasn’t more ice in the bucket.  
Some proof since it sounds over the top:

161E3C0F-8595-4FB5-9BCF-D21807E510E1.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

I got blasted with how white men built this country and they are under attack on all fronts at a time when they are hurting, that the reason those people stormed the Capitol was because white men built this country and they are being bullied on every front.

79967fe2f5ff60caacf4e19f21772686.jpg

I see no black or brown people.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Boise has a shit ton of millennials moving there from California, Portland and Seattle.

Some VC guys I know told me that about a decade ago the tech industry was really trying to make Boise a thing. They were going to try to bring or start up tech companies and get smart millennials to move there and build this vibrant, smart community... but it feel apart because the education in Boise sucks. I didn't know this but apparently Boise St is like a tier 4 school worse than Tech or Texas St. and drawing the super smart folks to Boise for schooling and staying for work never got off the ground. 

Salt Lake City became that tech hub that Boise could have been. I guess BYU > Boise St.

38 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Some VC guys I know told me that about a decade ago the tech industry was really trying to make Boise a thing. They were going to try to bring or start up tech companies and get smart millennials to move there and build this vibrant, smart community... but it feel apart because the education in Boise sucks. I didn't know this but apparently Boise St is like a tier 4 school worse than Tech or Texas St. and drawing the super smart folks to Boise for schooling and staying for work never got off the ground. 

Salt Lake City became that tech hub that Boise could have been. I guess BYU > Boise St.

I think the idea was based on Micron's presence in Boise.  And Micron has suffered what TI suffered a couple of decades earlier, in finding out that DRAM is more about manufacturing than cutting-edge technology.

SLC had attained whatever status it had by the late 80s, early 90s.  There were a couple of pretty prominent IP firms in SLC back then.  The "winning" combo there was Utah + BYU law, which are above average science/enginering and law schools, respectively.  I think SLC lost a lot of its mojo.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the idea was based on Micron's presence in Boise.  And Micron has suffered what TI suffered a couple of decades earlier, in finding out that DRAM is more about manufacturing than cutting-edge technology.

SLC had attained whatever status it had by the late 80s, early 90s.  There were a couple of pretty prominent IP firms in SLC back then.  The "winning" combo there was Utah + BYU law, which are above average science/enginering and law schools, respectively.  I think SLC lost a lot of its mojo.  

There are a lot of young great tech firms in SLC; the biggest made the young billionaire an NBA owner with the Jazz recently (Qualtrics which was acquired by SAP then spun off again).

30 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Hey, @DonkeyCigars, how do you approach convincing stalwart Trumpers that they’ve cast their pearls before swine?

Believe it or not I don’t know anyone who is unreasonable. While a lot of family, friends, coworkers, etc. are republicans, they aren’t the Qanon, proud guys, storm the castle, wear dragon horns, type folks. Literally the response has been, to a man, “Trump lost that sucks. Welp, how’s junior doing with travel baseball and how is work?” With 5 seconds lamenting the loss before moving on because it doesn’t matter much in the grand scheme of things. Like I said before I believe, and most people I know, have said Biden presidency is second best outcome of all possible outcomes in election 2020. I am more or less happy even if I don’t qualify for a nickel of any of the free money. I am glad to see some family get it though and it’s needed.

I might be the wrong person to ask too as I’ve only watched 30 minutes of cable news this year, and that was CNN in a hotel room on July 4th to see fireworks. 

Edited by DonkeyCigars

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

10 years ago, my cousin moved from Austin to SLC. Utah has level headed people for as much as we do the “shit on Mormons” cycle here on the board. Neither Boise or SLC have what I consider affordable housing, but the city themselves are full of millennial dwelling folks who have no problems with conservatives, enjoy winter and other seasons besides HOT AF and love the outdoors. Shit SLC pretty much solved veteran homeless with the help of San Antonio. They are riper for eastern migration from California, the only problem slowing it down from getting to being D territory, is Denver has all of those plus weed and an already established younger base with higher salaries.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

I know. His silence amuses me.

Sorry I was busy and didn't see it but I responded. I wasn't meaning to avoid the question. I do think you might have a wrong idea about me based off your question, unless you are one of those absurd absolutists in the vein of "If you voted for Trump then that means you are a nazi there is no gray area, you either are or are not based on the binary vote that was placed in the most binary election of two candidates!"

5 hours ago, Foosters said:

Amazing.

That dude might secretly be a Nazi.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I might be the wrong person to ask too 

I appreciate the response. 

A person of good faith, with your political views, might well be the best person to ask, assuming they, too, put the nation’s best interests ahead of any one person, and also the danger inherent in their Party’s leader projecting the exact opposite message. Can we agree on this?

Disinterest doesn’t ring true on a politics board. But, outliers are a fact; and I value their perspective.

When there’s blood on the streets, buy property, as they say, so forgive my suspicions of someone who puffs as you do.

Since I posed a hypothetical, care to shed some good faith ideas on the subject of the thread?

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Sorry I was busy and didn't see it but I responded. I wasn't meaning to avoid the question. I do think you might have a wrong idea about me based off your question, unless you are one of those absurd absolutists in the vein of "If you voted for Trump then that means you are a nazi there is no gray area, you either are or are not based on the binary vote that was placed in the most binary election of two candidates!"

Yes. I learn more by being wrong than i do being right. 

To answer your question, I do not want to be such a person, and have invested much time seeking common ground so that I don’t become that person.

14 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I appreciate the response. 

A person of good faith, with your political views, might well be the best person to ask, assuming they, too, put the nation’s best interests ahead of any one person, and also the danger inherent in their Party’s leader projecting the exact opposite message. Can we agree on this?

Disinterest doesn’t ring true on a politics board. But, outliers are a fact; and I value their perspective.

When there’s blood on the streets, buy property, as they say, so forgive my suspicions of someone who puffs as you do.

Since I posed a hypothetical, care to shed some good faith ideas on the subject of the thread?

I think you are seeing it happen where Qanon folks are waking up from the fog and looking around and being embarrassed and saying "dang, i was fooled". I saw an apple news clip of a guy going on Cooper Anderson and apologizing. I saw another apple news clip of another one talking about how it was waking up from a cult.

I think a lot of Republicans live in the middle-- they aren't active or care about a lot of the issues and they certainly aren't retirees spending 20 hours a day parked in front of Foxnews (or poor red state yokels watching conspiracy videos on youtube). Just guys and gals trying to maximize and optimize the 30-40 years we have as laborers, so we can afford a big house for a good size family, our wife doesnt have to work and our kids can enjoy creature comforts and private school before going off to the University. I'm just a simple family man, is how I view myself, and I want what's best for my children.

What's best for my children means something different to me than it does others and so I never begrudge someone else politically for doing what they think is best for them and their family. It's just a different way of viewing the world. We are still equal and were created to be so. At least, I believe that.

Anyways, to your question. I think the best thing to say to these Republican extremists is to tell them they are being victims and have a victim mentality no different than those they belittle. Educate them that the best thing to do is to just do your best to get a good hand (e.g. vote your interests) and then post that, do the best with the hand you are dealt (e.g. stop being a victim of a "BIDEN" presidency, as it were, and just move on). No sense in letting Democrats live in your head rent free; do something with your life to get them to pay rent.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think you are seeing it happen where Qanon folks are waking up from the fog and looking around and being embarrassed and saying "dang, i was fooled". I saw an apple news clip of a guy going on Cooper Anderson and apologizing. I saw another apple news clip of another one talking about how it was waking up from a cult.

I think a lot of Republicans live in the middle-- they aren't active or care about a lot of the issues and they certainly aren't retirees spending 20 hours a day parked in front of Foxnews (or poor red state yokels watching conspiracy videos on youtube). Just guys and gals trying to maximize and optimize the 30-40 years we have as laborers, so we can afford a big house for a good size family, our wife doesnt have to work and our kids can enjoy creature comforts and private school before going off to the University. I'm just a simple family man, is how I view myself, and I want what's best for my children.

What's best for my children means something different to me than it does others and so I never begrudge someone else politically for doing what they think is best for them and their family. It's just a different way of viewing the world. We are still equal and were created to be so. At least, I believe that.

Anyways, to your question. I think the best thing to say to these Republican extremists is to tell them they are being victims and have a victim mentality no different than those they belittle. Educate them that the best thing to do is to just do your best to get a good hand (e.g. vote your interests) and then post that, do the best with the hand you are dealt (e.g. stop being a victim of a "BIDEN" presidency, as it were, and just move on). No sense in letting Democrats live in your head rent free; do something with your life to get them to pay rent.

Thanks for your response. Perhaps optimism is justified. The screw does turn, it’s true. I guess we will see if Rs break from Trump. 

Who, or what, would you say is creating victims of the believers?

Wouldn’t you prefer a government that kept folks from falling too far, more so than one that might improve your hand?

Strike that. You already implied such talk does no good. I apologize for asking. 

I kind of feel bad for you.  I don’t have many trumptards in my life but I have a few.  Unloading on them is actually therapeutic and I let loose from time to time.  

The last one was a few weeks ago in Miami.  The bet amongst our friends was the next time he mentions a right wing talking point we dump an entire bucket of ice on his head.  Of course this was an inside joke. Also keep in mind this bastard is notorious for not chipping in on tabs etc.  
We didn’t even make it to appetizers and I had to pull the champagne off ice to seal the deal.  He just sat there like someone shot his dog.  Everyone was either laughing or had a holy shit look on their face.  Some of you may think that’s over the line but I’m an admitted asshole and I did give a sorry speech the next day - I apologized there wasn’t more ice in the bucket.  
Some proof since it sounds over the top:
161E3C0F-8595-4FB5-9BCF-D21807E510E1.thumb.png.98af636f6ca93a958bfd53d0f184691b.png
Bravo sir. Bravo.

It's also a cool as town trying to be like the People's Republic here in Austin. I looked into relocating there- amazing national lands, snowboarding, fishing- just too far to the beach for me.

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Like I said before I believe, and most people I know, have said Biden presidency is second best outcome of all possible outcomes in election 2020.

You honestly think that the best outcome of the 2020 election would have been for Trump to win?

Boise's boost as a tech hub was closely tied to Micron's early backers-but most of those guys were buddies of JR Simplot, who were really just lucky tater farmers.  They had this biased view of Boise and Boise St.  Imagine an Idaho version of Baylor backers who see Waco as a modern day Athens and Baylor as on par with the Ivy League.