Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

I thought I made it pretty clear upthread, but like most things, I’ll be just fine.  

You may be, but they are going to have an infinitely harder life. OBGYN’s are leaving and are not being replaced. You may be able to fly your 3 daughters to an out of state OBGYN for check ups, but others can’t. What happens when Texas out laws birth control and they may need it?

If I had a daughter, we would already be gone. As it stands, we will be around to vote against these assholes for a little longer and then bounce if it does not improve here.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It’ll be awesome when your daughter dies from septic shock because no Dr would risk life imprisonment to deliver her life-saving care. I don’t wish that on you…but understand you’re wishing it on your fellow Texans…and it may well come back to bite you.

I don’t mind if that happens. Less tax money to be spent on her 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

You really think I want more baby D’s to care for, that will all be voting themselves more benefits down the line?  Fuck outta here. 

Man, I would be really interested to see research into people's voting patterns and receipts of welfare.  I bet it would be eye-opening for some of y'all.

And at least you said "baby D's" and not "baby N's," I guess.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Man, I would be really interested to see research into people's voting patterns and receipts of welfare.  I bet it would be eye-opening for some of y'all.

And at least you said "baby D's" and not "baby N's," I guess.

Oh, it'd surprise all of them.  "Welfare" and "crime," both.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Never been a long-time supporter.  Donated to some Republican candidates in the past, voted from top of ballot to bottom for Republicans, Libertarians, and Democrats alike.  You keep telling yourself that anybody who voted one time for one Republican is a fascist.  Keep trying to Beto and Wendy your way to victory, that's working out swell.  I get in rooms with Democrats and Republicans alike, because it's part of my fucking job.  I'm not a sixth generation Texan with the pedigree and multi-generational wealth and family ranch that many posters are.  I gotta muscle my way into this for business reasons.  So yeah, I mingle with Republicans.  They regulate my business so I make it my business to know what they're up to.  I don't touch abortion because I'm in abject horror about what they're doing.  But guess what?  Abortion isn't really a Railroad Commission or PUC item, though admittedly they're probably trying to make it one.  I count many elected Democrats as friends and support them however I can, the latest being Allred.  But some Texans have got to quit with this, "Anybody who once met with a Republican is trying to kill pregnant women and only Greg Casar can save us!" 

I go to 9th & Congress because that's where my regulators hang out and if I can't look the devil in the eye, I have no idea what he's up to.  Judge me all you want, I don't give a flying fuck.  Keyboard jockeys for Beto is a real strong lobby, I can totally tell.  I think I once offered you an interstate commerce pass from our trucking company to go to upstate New York.  I get those kinds of things because I bribe legislators and learn their darkest secrets.  I don't get shit like that unless I'm in the room.  You know how I know so much about Ken Paxton, years before most folks did?  Because Ken's assistant AG's have substance abuse problems and I hung out with them, asked open ended questions, and just listened (plus Nate Paul's underwriters).  Same with Cruz's team and Patrick's team.  Am I gonna make a difference?  Absolutely not.  But 100 more like me and the game is over.  But I'm glad you think that had I voted differently a decade ago on a couple of ballot selections, women's rights would have endured.  If you've never been in a room with a Democrat or a Republican elected official and either offered a threat or received a threat, consider yourself lucky.  Enjoy your high horse.  If you've voted categorically straight-ticket since the day you turned 18, you're a unicorn.  I'm a workhorse, I get into the muck and the mire.  It's part of how I feed my family.  But we all know the GOP crossed the Rubicon a while ago so I don't vote nor fundraise for those asshats.  You got such a strong sense of my political history, I'll post it again--------I bundled $180,000 for Joe Biden in Texas in 2020 to just present a dent to our state.  But yeah, let's Beto our way to Change!  

And to be crystal fucking clear for your next post---when I say I meet and chat with those folks to feed my family.  It's not about lower taxes and trading my livelihood for punishing minorities or women.  If I don't give them money or vote for them, there is absolutely zero harm in meeting with them and learning what they have to say and telegraphing their positions on upcoming legislation that effect my work.  Two totally different things and you fucking know it.  But yes, shaking hands and sharing a passed appetizer at TPPF means I hate women.  Let the adults do to the work this cycle man, with all due respect.  Go put on another bumper sticker or something...

Sir this is an Arby’s 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

Kramer, "That's true."  

It is honestly feeling like an Arby's night.  

Can somebody walk me through how to post a voicemail audio on here.  Obviously without giving away my number, but just the clip/tip?  I called from one of our trucking domiciles in Texas to the Lubbock County folks about our trucks being stopped to check for women trying to get to New Mexico or Oklahoma for abortions.  One of the commissioners returned the call and was deadly serious and assured me it was all for show and no interstate commerce would be effected.  It'd be funny to hear if it wasn't baked into so much tragedy.  I was even gonna fuck with the law enforcement folks there and call in fake leads on trailer numbers filled with women trying to get outta Texas for abortions, but I stopped short since some trigger happy Lubbock Deputy would probably make a big mistake and get nervous and start shooting at a driver.  But just listening to them just say the stupid shit out loud is a start.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hope Kate Cox came to California for her abortion (mostly to see Paxton go apoplectic about California). Maybe they’ll start “pregnancy checks” at Texas airports and on I 10. Just complete the transition to Gillead already.

And then I hope she and her family move here, where she can be free to make medical decisions about her body, and maybe get the third child their family has wanted.

From outside Texas looking in, there is no way I’d let my daughter (or sons) move to that fucking state (as well as about 20 others). Yeah Texas is gaining residents. Congrats. But if the type of residents you are gaining are brain dead MAGA morons who keep electing these assholes, it doesn’t bode well for Texas’ future.

I keep thinking “surely this will open people’s eyes” after every piece of crazy Texas legislation or court ruling, and yet it doesn’t seem to have an impact.  Texas seems a million miles from my experience there in the mid-90s, and not in a good way.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Correct.  I couldn’t give a fuck either way, which is why I stay out of this abortion of an abortion thread.   You really think I want more baby D’s to care for, that will all be voting themselves more benefits down the line?  Fuck outta here. 

This is a pretty crazy look into fartys inner thought process. By his framing, all (D)s are pure takers that do not contribute to society, and political power is driven through high birth rates. It's just pure, uncut right wing talking points, and he is so fundamentally intellectually dishonest he'll never admit as such. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’ll repeat something I said on a different thread- multiple college counselors have told me that in the last two years they have seen a surge in kids who are not only completely uninterested in going to a flagship state university in Texas (i.e. Texas,  Aggy and Tech) but see going to college out of state as a way to establish residence somewhere else. It’s only December, and Tech and Aggy are already beginning to clear their waiting lists. It’s both boys and girls, although more intense with girls.

We’re looking at a brain drain, and if this doesn’t resolve within 3-4 years we will lose a generation of our brightest future Texans. 

Tech has a waiting list?

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is a pretty crazy look into fartys inner thought process. By his framing, all (D)s are pure takers that do not contribute to society, and political power is driven through high birth rates. It's just pure, uncut right wing talking points, and he is so fundamentally intellectually dishonest he'll never admit as such. 

The irony is that in general, the "taker" states are mostly red.

• Hook 'Em 7

32 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’ll repeat something I said on a different thread- multiple college counselors have told me that in the last two years they have seen a surge in kids who are not only completely uninterested in going to a flagship state university in Texas (i.e. Texas,  Aggy and Tech) but see going to college out of state as a way to establish residence somewhere else. It’s only December, and Tech and Aggy are already beginning to clear their waiting lists. It’s both boys and girls, although more intense with girls.

We’re looking at a brain drain, and if this doesn’t resolve within 3-4 years we will lose a generation of our brightest future Texans. 

Our entire extended family lives in Texas.

I will consider myself a failure of a parent if my children stay here.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

Maybe they’ll start “pregnancy checks” at Texas airports and on I 10. Just complete the transition to Gillead already.

They won't fuck around with the airports since they'll get knocked down by the feds, and they won't setup checkpoints at the borders, because again, feds, but I expect we'll see more counties, or even the legislation, going in on setting it up for private citizens to easily sue other private citizens who leave the state for an abortion. Nobody is suing yet, but these groups are pushing for the counties to make these laws for a reason.

I could see a lot more West Texas counties following Lubbock and Goliad and others, given what's happening:

https://sourcenm.com/2023/12/11/abortions-in-new-mexico-more-than-triple-post-dobbs/

The number of abortions performed in New Mexico has more than tripled since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in 2022. That’s according to a new study that says interstate travel across the country continues to grow for the procedure. New Mexico has seen one of the most dramatic increases in abortion care in the country because of demand from out-of-state patients.

Isaac Maddow-Zimet is a data scientist at the Guttmacher Institute, a research and policy organization that has collected data on abortion services since Roe v. Wade was enacted. He said the first half of the year saw a huge increase in abortion-related travel.

“It’s clear that the increase is largely because of the bans that states have put in place post-Dobbs, which have really left people without opportunities to get care in their own communities and force people to travel often very far to be able to get an abortion,” Maddow-Zimet said.

He said three quarters of abortion patients in New Mexico in the first half of this year came from outside the state, and mostly from states with bans. The number of abortions in the state has also increased 279% since 2020.

He also said that states like California, New Jersey or New York that do not share a border with states that have bans in place aren’t seeing as many travelers seeking the procedure as states like New Mexico that do.

11 hours ago, Tonesky said:

If Cox’s lawyer truly failed to ask the expert witness physician if his/her opinions were based in reasonable medical probability, that failure was both idiocy and malpractice. 

Still, fuck Paxton and the Supremes. 

no, that's not idiocy and malpractice.  the problem with a "reasonable" standard is that kenny P can get some MAGA doctor to testify that in his expert opinion it was not reasonable and then you have a fucking jury question deciding whether a doctor goes to jail and loses their license.  that's why the petition over and over again uses "good faith" because that's a much more difficult standard to overcome if you can get the standard established.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 4

The actual malpractice would be any lawyer advising someone like Cox and/or her doctor that so long as the doctor says the right magical legal words in the correct order, they won't need to worry about civil or criminal liability. The law doesn't work that way and Ken Paxton and the Texas Supreme Court sure as fuck don't work that way. 

• Hook 'Em 6

55 minutes ago, elfenix said:

no, that's not idiocy and malpractice.  the problem with a "reasonable" standard is that kenny P can get some MAGA doctor to testify that in his expert opinion it was not reasonable and then you have a fucking jury question deciding whether a doctor goes to jail and loses their license.  that's why the petition over and over again uses "good faith" because that's a much more difficult standard to overcome if you can get the standard established.

to follow up, "good faith" is the standard for post viability abortions in california (although their statute is kinda backward, it's good faith that the fetus is viable and good faith that the was no risk to health of a pregnant person).*  christofascists think this sort of standard allows doctors to "86" healthy pregnancies 8 and a half months in.  they obviously think doctors are horrible people who need to be reigned in by the threat of violence from the state. 

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Our entire extended family lives in Texas.

I will consider myself a failure of a parent if my children stay here.

We are steering our girls out of state.  I asked my junior if she wanted to apply to any safety schools in Texas and she told me to fuck off. 

Approve Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, royiv said:

I know you love to lecture anyone who will listen about how smart and connected you are, but letting the "adults" like you do the work is what has gotten us into this mess. You regale us with lots of tales of skullduggery and conniving strategery and yet things only get worse. You might want to take a look in the mirror instead of taking your condescending tone with the passionate people who are engaging to raise awareness and call out the politicians and wannabe power brokers. 

I looked in the mirror and saw someone who is concerned with the welfare of females in the state of Texas.  Congrats on being passionate and raising awareness.  Let's throw another $50mm at Wendy or Beto so we can get tennis elbow from patting ourselves on the back.  Keep thinking that anybody who ever once didn't vote straight ticket Democrat is trying to kill pregnant women.  Absolutely phenomenal results to show for it.  

El Buen Samaritano.  Episcopal, mainly Hispanic, non-profit here in Austin.  Cousin helps run the group.  My trucks are going to provide free transportation from Austin and Fort Worth to New Mexico for women needing reproductive care starting in January.  Probably just end up being a few dozen, but it's a start.  Got some help from former state rep. from east Austin as well as a travis county commissioner to help with some front-end logistics and some help with lodging costs while they wait for a ride back/recovery.  I get shit done, you must be the other guy.  I forget, is this the year Beverly Powell wastes $25mm or is it somebody else's turn?  For the record, back Cesar Blanco now.  He's the next, biggest chance at a legit candidacy, not a gigantic waste of money.  Good luck with all that passion and awareness.  Seems to really be helping scared immigrants.

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I looked in the mirror and saw someone who is concerned with the welfare of females in the state of Texas.  Congrats on being passionate and raising awareness.  Let's throw another $50mm at Wendy or Beto so we can get tennis elbow from patting ourselves on the back.  Keep thinking that anybody who ever once didn't vote straight ticket Democrat is trying to kill pregnant women.  Absolutely phenomenal results to show for it.  

El Buen Samaritano.  Episcopal, mainly Hispanic, non-profit here in Austin.  Cousin helps run the group.  My trucks are going to provide free transportation from Austin and Fort Worth to New Mexico for women needing reproductive care starting in January.  Probably just end up being a few dozen, but it's a start.  Got some help from former state rep. from east Austin as well as a travis county commissioner to help with some front-end logistics and some help with lodging costs while they wait for a ride back/recovery.  I get shit done, you must be the other guy.  I forget, is this the year Beverly Powell wastes $25mm or is it somebody else's turn?  For the record, back Cesar Blanco now.  He's the next, biggest chance at a legit candidacy, not a gigantic waste of money.  Good luck with all that passion and awareness.  Seems to really be helping scared immigrants.

You don't get shit done. You spin fairytales on the internet and self fellate while shitting on everyone else and calling them stupid. How's everything working out with Paxton, big guy?

• Hook 'Em 6

You don't like my yarns, just scroll past them.  Easiest thing on the internet.  As for Paxton, we talked about it on here a long, long time ago.  I think it was even on the old site.  Never voted for him, never donated to him, vilify him every chance I get, watched his assistant AG's turn on him because they wanted to stay alive and will help any of our friends down South exact a price for fucking up their real estate.  Been saying it long before it was kosher.  We've got a half dozen women signed up already to head to New Mexico next month.  But don't hurt yourself putting that bumper sticker on your car this afternoon.  Just put me on ignore or report or whatever it is you do to be a bastion of passion and awareness.  That must bring such massive comfort to so many people of color like myself.  

Just now, YGIFS said:

You don't like my yarns, just scroll past them.  Easiest thing on the internet.  As for Paxton, we talked about it on here a long, long time ago.  I think it was even on the old site.  Never voted for him, never donated to him, vilify him every chance I get, watched his assistant AG's turn on him because they wanted to stay alive and will help any of our friends down South exact a price for fucking up their real estate.  Been saying it long before it was kosher.  We've got a half dozen women signed up already to head to New Mexico next month.  But don't hurt yourself putting that bumper sticker on your car this afternoon.  Just put me on ignore or report or whatever it is you do to be a bastion of passion and awareness.  That must bring such massive comfort to so many people of color like myself.  

But, but, but you've told us so many times Paxton was going to be hanging from a bridge in Mexico. FWIW, bumper stickers are tacky.

23 minutes ago, royiv said:

But, but, but you've told us so many times Paxton was going to be hanging from a bridge in Mexico. FWIW, bumper stickers are tacky.

And he will be, when he's outta office.  C'mon man, our animosities aside...we both know full well cartels would never, ever attack a sitting statewide office holder in a border state.  That's beyond bad for business.  Literally a bridge too far.  Once that security detail is pulled, were I him...I'd grow a third eye in the back of my head.  Well, I guess grow two eyes.  One to replace the droopy one up front and then the third one for the back of the head.  Or move the weird one to the back and just have that be the one for looking out behind him and then just have the one regular one up front for regular stuff.  Or maybe move both current eyes back there and then two new ones for regular up front stuff.  I dunno, this gets complicated.  Not like reproductive rights complicated, but challenging.

Edited by YGIFS

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What's interesting is that the cool thing with white, upper middle class suburban kids in Houston and Dallas - who I assume skew more Young Republican - is to go to an SEC school if they don't get into UT or A&M. I wonder if those kids end up coming back to Texas.

^

Valid point.  Completely anecdotal but a lot of neighborhood kids and kids that go through our first-gen academy at UT as high schoolers who don't get into UT, they're going (and understandably so) to college on the coasts, Rocky Mountain States, and Midwest and they're staying there.  There a lot of upper middle class students from Houston and Dallas and now Austin (as you point out) that are going to Ole Miss, Clemson, Auburn, et. al.  But they are not staying there.  once you've grown up in some modicum of privilege in Texas, it's hard to stay in fucking Fayetteville or Columbia, SC.  But either way, those young people are gonna find their way to red enclaves somewhere in the South.  But we are losing a lot of talented young people to out of state colleges in booming MSA's and they're gonna stay there once they graduate, just as many of us did after UT.  And they're gonna shift voting patterns both here and there.  It's not moving the needle yet, but it will and in a big way.  

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

We are steering our girls out of state.  I asked my junior if she wanted to apply to any safety schools in Texas and she told me to fuck off. 

Approve Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstoneme

I'll mention that most of Bullneck, Jr. and his friends have not had much luck in the Early Decision/Action area.  Maybe I know why, now.

"Senator Cornyn, you don't vote directly on Texas state abortion policy.  However, you do vote for the jurists who set these wheels in motion as a member of the U.S. Senate."

Cornyn, "But sir, this is an Arby's"

-Are you putting ketchup on a big beef 'n cheddar, you sick fuck?

Edited by YGIFS

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The actual malpractice would be any lawyer advising someone like Cox and/or her doctor that so long as the doctor says the right magical legal words in the correct order, they won't need to worry about civil or criminal liability. The law doesn't work that way and Ken Paxton and the Texas Supreme Court sure as fuck don't work that way. 

I've already followed up that I had not read the statute or opinion, and that my comment was based on a news story I read suggesting the Court made issue of her failure to put on proof tracking the requirement of the statute. 

But, this is BS.  I did not remotely suggest that using magic words would have won the day.  I have already agreed with the opposite - that the outcome was preordained and the opinion was written to reach that preordained outcome.

On the other hand, what I suggested generally is fact.  ALL proof of medical causation in Texas must be based on a reasonable degree of medical certainty, and not possibility.  The jargon "reasonable medical probability" is typically used, but is not required.  Failure to meet this standard results in exclusion of the medical testimony and is typically fatal to a plaintiff. 

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

We are steering our girls out of state.

Not just girls....   I have HS sophomore boy/girl twins.  They have not yet gotten serious about schools and areas of study, but all preliminary conversations include suggestion that (1) climate and politics make Texas a bad option for where to make a life, and (2) going away to school increases the opportunity to make that life somewhere else.

13 hours ago, bolverk said:

Not to be a dick, but your hands are not clean on this as a long-time supporter of and fundraiser for RPT, yeah? Hell, wasn't it just a few weeks ago you were talking about hobnobbing it at TPPF? The writing's been on the wall for well over 30 years in this state that this shit was coming from your party. Don't act surprised when the chickens come home to roost.

Shit, you keep berating us for not voting in TX GOP primaries to somehow moderate your fucking fascist party, when none of you actually has the backbone to do that shit yourselves because taxes or some shit. Maybe think of your daughter(s) the next time you get that invite to 9th and Congress.

By the way, I need to PM my real name so you look it up on donation rolls and see that i've raised/bundled 100:1 in dollars for Democrats to Republicans.  But I'm sure you have a yard sign that's affecting real change.  Funny, only time I ever typed anything about your daughter was to offer help.  Only time you mention mine is little veiled snarks.  But I forget how you''re the compassionate one and just so darn clever to boot.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

By the way, I need to PM my real name so you look it up on donation rolls and see that i've raised/bundled 100:1 in dollars for Democrats to Republicans.  But I'm sure you have a yard sign that's affecting real change.  Funny, only time I ever typed anything about your daughter was to offer help.  Only time you mention mine is little veiled snarks.  But I forget how you''re the compassionate one and just so darn clever to boot.  

Your narcissism and need to attempt to big time other posters is very Trumpy. Real leaders and difference makers don't have a need to constantly tell others how great they are. A dose of humility would be good for you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Are we talking right now in real life?  Are we on a phone call I'm not aware of?  Am I in front of a microphone or press conference podium?  Just a guy typing shit, you don't like it...scroll past it.  Incredible feature immamac built in.  I'm not great, that's why I hate Trump.  because I know it but I am working on it.  He thinks he's great and doesn't want to work on it.  Sorry, somebody brings up my daughters, it's gonna get a rise outta me even on an imaginary website like this one.  You have a yardsign and are raising awareness.  We are super proud of you, keep bragging about that.  You're doing terrific.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Have you not been paying attention to recent elections? It's going to be a big fucking issue.

I think so as well.  But I have to say, it is curious how little play this story is getting within our borders.  National press is all over it and it's not exactly radio-silence in Texas, but the major outlets and Tribune are just kinda giving it perfunctory coverage.  Maybe that'll change as the story unfolds and they develop deeper sources, but I'm getting a half dozen stories about it to my feed from NYT/WaPo/RSM, et. al. but around our own state...it's just kinda reading like, "Paxton & Co. being mean, film at 11"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Are we talking right now in real life?  Are we on a phone call I'm not aware of?  Am I in front of a microphone or press conference podium?  Just a guy typing shit, you don't like it...scroll past it.  Incredible feature immamac built in.  I'm not great, that's why I hate Trump.  because I know it but I am working on it.  He thinks he's great and doesn't want to work on it.  Sorry, somebody brings up my daughters, it's gonna get a rise outta me even on an imaginary website like this one.  You have a yardsign and are raising awareness.  We are super proud of you, keep bragging about that.  You're doing terrific.

You're posting on a message board. Of course you're going to get responses. For someone who posts as much as you do, you seem to lack a basic understanding of how these boards work. For someone who likes to portray themselves as a power broker and influencer, your lack of self-awareness is Trumpian in stature. Keep telling us how we all should sit down and let the adults do the work. How's that working out? 

• Hook 'Em 2

About as well as your bumper sticker program?  ;)  

You are right though, there are really no adults at the helm anymore.  I don't know what the fuck happened, but my children are going to pay a price because Abbott is upset with his station(ary) in life, Paxton's worldview is bent, and Dan patrick feels like a taller, less funny, more lesbian-dressed version of Patton Oswalt.  And the three of them are gonna take it out on young Texas women.  

• Hook 'Em 1