Trump Pardon Watch Thread

Hookah Horns

11 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Barr could walk out of that meeting with Covid-19 and a one-way ticket to Belarus, or some other country with extradition to the U.S., and those would be the 2 most normal things that came out of the discussions with Trump.  

When that walking co-morbidity starts taking risks like that to go legacy shopping, you know shit's about to get even more fucked.  

There's another sign-selling opportunity in here somewhere.   

Good article on pardons

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/02/941290291/talk-of-preemptive-pardons-by-trump-raises-questions-what-can-he-do?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

In an email, Crouch, author of The Presidential Pardon Power, says "someone must have committed a federal offense, but as soon as that happens, the president can grant them clemency. He does not need to wait until the alleged offender is charged, stands trial, and so on."

Continues Crouch: "These pardons are not common, but they do happen occasionally."

Accordingly, Trump could "pardon his children, his aides, his supporters, and so on for federal offenses and be on firm legal ground," Crouch says. "The really unclear scenario would be if he attempted to pardon himself.

A president can protect someone from being prosecuted for something they've already done, even if it doesn't come to the attention of prosecutors later — but not protect someone from being prosecuted for something they haven't yet done, or from being prosecuted by state or local authorities.

Bernadette Meyler, a professor at Stanford Law School, says the precedents in these cases go back to the earliest days of the Republic, when President Washington used his pardon powers to grant amnesty to some of the conspirators in the Whiskey Rebellion.

"The Supreme Court interpreted the pardon power to include amnesty in cases like United States v Klein," she says. "So what Trump would probably do is something like Ford's pardon of Nixon, which described a period of time and immunized Nixon against prosecution for activities undertaken during that time."

But that wouldn't be a lifetime Get Out Of Jail Free card.

Meyler, author of Theaters of Pardoning, notes that "such pardons could not cover future events."

So if he pardons all his shithead kids, do y'all think it will resonate AT ALL with his supporters that this is an admission of guilt?  Sorry for the rhetorical question.  Of course not.  The pardons are just to keep the meanie libs from inventing crimes to charge them with.

48 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So if he pardons all his shithead kids, do y'all think it will resonate AT ALL with his supporters that this is an admission of guilt?  Sorry for the rhetorical question.  Of course not.  The pardons are just to keep the meanie libs from inventing crimes to charge them with.

No. Protecting them from the mean deep state libs harassing them and preventing the Trump dynasty 

• Hook 'Em 1

Somewhere, Susan Collins brow is furrowed.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/03/trump-considers-more-pardons-442727?nname=politico-nightly&nid=00000170-c000-da87-af78-e185fa700000&nrid=0000014e-f0fd-dd93-ad7f-f8fde5bf0000&nlid=2670445

President Donald Trump is considering preemptively pardoning as many as 20 aides and associates before leaving office, frustrating Republicans who believe offering legal reprieves to his friends and family members could backfire.

Trump’s strategy, like much of his presidency, is nontraditional. He is eschewing the typical protocol of processing cases through the Justice Department. And he may argue that such preemptive pardons for his friends and family members are necessary to spare them from paying millions in legal fees to fight what he describes as witch hunts. Those up for clemency include everyone from Trump’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, to several members of his family — all people who haven’t been charged with a crime. Weighing on Trump’s mind is whether these pardons would look like an admission of guilt.

Republicans, as they often have when Trump appears about to bulldoze through another norm, are expressing some initial hesitation — but they’re not telling him to stop.

“That is in a category that I think you’d probably run into a lot of static,” said Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.). “That’s charting new territory, I’m guessing. I don’t think that’s ever been attempted before.”

The result is yet another looming showdown between Trump and the broader Republican Party.

Roughly 20 top aides and associates are on tap for a potential pardon, though the list is evolving, according to one of the people. The list includes Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, who run the family’s namesake business, and Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, a husband-and-wife duo who are both senior aides at the White House. All four were involved in Trump’s reelection campaign.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:33 PM, burntorangebongos said:

Well he is associated with the Kushners and Broidy soooo...

He's also a Democrat that has repped more Democrats than Republicans.

I mean, he's a criminal defense attorney, that means his clients are, well, criminals.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:59 PM, burntorangebongos said:

Wait, how many levels is this?

Trump may pre-emptively pardon people for soliciting money for pardons that Trump benefits from?  

Trump benefits from scheme (would require a pardon) -> Agent for Pardons (and Pardonee) -> Pardonee paying for pardon

I think we should change his name to Par-Don Trump and not because of his golf game. 

14 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Wait, how many levels is this?

Trump may pre-emptively pardon people for soliciting money for pardons that Trump benefits from?  

Trump benefits from scheme (would require a pardon) -> Agent for Pardons (and Pardonee) -> Pardonee paying for pardon

I think we should change his name to Par-Don Trump and not because of his golf game. 

xe8k5g42iowgssrk_1602139369.jpeg?tr=w-81

• Hook 'Em 1

I've never been a fan of the end of term pardons, by any of the presidents in my adult memory.  Always seemed like shady bullshit.   I kinda feel like if someone deserved a pardon, they should get it when the president decides to, not the day before he leaves office.  

So maybe Trump's crazy pardon spree will cause a change. There needs to be a moratorium on pardons, say, no pardons between election day and inauguration day. 

• Like 1

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

I've never been a fan of the end of term pardons, by any of the presidents in my adult memory.  Always seemed like shady bullshit.   I kinda feel like if someone deserved a pardon, they should get it when the president decides to, not the day before he leaves office.  

So maybe Trump's crazy pardon spree will cause a change. There needs to be a moratorium on pardons, say, no pardons between election day and inauguration day. 

This should be a given. I think the pardons should end a week before Election Day to give voters a full understanding. Even if a President was termed out of office, they would tread lightly with late pardons to not harm their party.

And even if there was a scenario of someone worthy of receiving a pardon, there's nothing wrong pushing it back to the next administration.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Yes, there should be a Congressional pardon review board.  Equal numbers of R and D. 

Make POTUS justify the pardon request with Congressional oversight to approve or deny. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lane duck pardons are often shitty (see some of Clinton’s).

But of course, Trump’s are next-level shitty. And it will get worse. Every day closer to Jan 20, it will get worse. We have a narcissist criminal psychopath in the office. He’s going to do EXACTLY what you’d expect a narcissist criminal psychopath to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nothing says drain the swamp like pardons for career politicians that siphon off campaign funds for titty bars and for healthcare moguls that stole a billion taxpayer dollars.

The minor drug offender pardons are legit and need to happen. Perfect example of the poison pill this man makes us take every time he does anything.

Those Blackwater guys got fucked.  Originally indicted in 2008, charges dropped in 2009, then Biden went to Baghdad and promised to reopen the case, and he got it done.    Without getting in to details on here, I can say that everything we have read and heard on the news is less than correct.  I have a good friend who has had to be in many meetings concerning this situation.  He told me he would be in meetings then when the news stories come out, they read nothing like what actually occurred in the meetings.   He said most times, it was like the reporters were in a completely different meeting.  And this is true of both sides of our current "news" media.  

8 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Those Blackwater guys got fucked.  Originally indicted in 2008, charges dropped in 2009, then Biden went to Baghdad and promised to reopen the case, and he got it done.    Without getting in to details on here, I can say that everything we have read and heard on the news is less than correct.  I have a good friend who has had to be in many meetings concerning this situation.  He told me he would be in meetings then when the news stories come out, they read nothing like what actually occurred in the meetings.   He said most times, it was like the reporters were in a completely different meeting.  And this is true of both sides of our current "news" media.  

Love to make up bullshit to defend war criminal mercs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2